Jimmy The Greek says it- He gets Fired. Michael Johnson says it - Aint no one say nothin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErnestBorgnine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Jimmy The Greek says it- He gets Fired. Michael Johnson says it - Aint no one say nothin

Everyone remember when Jimmy the Greek said basically the same thing and was fired by CBS because of people calling racism but Michael Johnson says it and no complaints. Double Standard?

U.S. Olympic legend Michael Johnson believes hard work only accounted for some of his record-breaking athleticism ... the rest can be chalked up to the fact that his ancestors were slaves.

Johnson -- one of the greatest Olympic sprinters of all time -- was talking to Sally Beck of the Daily Mail -- when he was asked about his world class athletic talent.

Johnson explained, "All my life I believed I became an athlete through my own determination, but it's impossible to think that being descended from slaves hasn't left an imprint through the generations."

He added, "Difficult as it was to hear, slavery has benefited descendants like me -- I believe there is a superior athletic gene in us."

In 1999, Johnson set the world record in the 400 meter dash at 43.18 seconds. He still holds the title.
ErnestBorgnine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/michael-johnson-says-slavery-descendants-run-faster-because-155858303--oly.html

Four-time gold medalist Michael Johnson believes the question of why black athletes dominate Olympic sprint competitions shouldn't be taboo. In the lead-up to the London Games, he's trying to broach the controversial topic.
Johnson, who recently had his lineage traced back to West Africa as part of a British documentary, told the Daily Mail that slavery has "left an imprint through the generations."
The eight men who ran in the 100-meter finals -- all African-American or African-Caribbean -- in Beijing are believed to have been descended from slaves, according to the documentary.
[ Related: Michael Johnson's golden runs in 1996 live on in Olympic history ]
"Difficult as it was to hear," Johnson said, "slavery has benefited descendants like me. I believe there is a superior athletic gene in us."
The Daily Mail explains:
Some scientists believe a combination of selective breeding by slave owners and appalling conditions meant that only the strongest slaves endured, creating a group predisposed to record-breaking athletic performance.
African slaves underwent a rigorous selection process and only the fittest were transported on ships.
Johnson's views on the genetics of slavery and his allusions to eugenics have been mostly ignored in the United States. The interview with the Daily Mail was published last Wednesday and barely made ripples across the pond. For good reason: It's a third rail topic in the states. Even intelligent debate on the subject runs the risk of becoming controversial. Any statement is treated as polarizing.
The comments section on the Daily Mail piece is a fine example. Either Johnson is a hero for bringing his views to light or he's ignorant for his "trash" beliefs. There's no middle ground in a topic like this.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Is that a triple negative in the title? Nice.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:

It had a different ring to it when Jimmy said it. He was anything but eloquent, and if you're going to go there, you'd better be eloquent. What Johnson said was what Jimmy claimed to be the gist of his diatribe. BSPN did a 30/30 on Jimmy's life and that comment pretty much defined him til his penniless death. Jimmy kept going on and on for the reporters, who were obviously doing one of their bait jobs, trying to pull more out of him. He didn't realize it and he just kept talking and no matter what he tried to say to clarify his meaning, it just got worse. One of those public moments where you could clearly see he passed the point of no return.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject:

That is not quite what Jimmy said, here it is:

"The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade'n the big… the owner… the slave owner would, would, would, would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have ah, ah big, ah big, ah big black kid see."

Jimmy's getting ANGRY...! (Sienfeld reference)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:

For the same reason that Snoop et al can say the N word like it's nothing, but a white person saying it could lead that person to being thankful they were only fired.
Johnny Rage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
That is not quite what Jimmy said, here it is:

"The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade'n the big… the owner… the slave owner would, would, would, would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have ah, ah big, ah big, ah big black kid see."

Jimmy's getting ANGRY...! (Sienfeld reference)

Why does he start out with "The black". That may have been it right there.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject:

I start a thread about racism it gets locked

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=147957

Another poster starts this thread- ain't no one say nothin.
Johnny Rage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject:

stacato wrote:

Let me guess, your "The white", the other guy was "The black". Whatta gonna do.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject:

stacato wrote:

Next time reference Jimmy the Greek...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject:

What Jimmy said

What Jimmy said

He knew he'd stepped in doo doo. He could do nothing to salvage himself. I understand where he was coming from and thought the reaction was over the top.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KingKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:

stacato wrote:

Your thread did also have very noticable religon thing going on in it as well. I'm thinking that had more to do with it being locked than anything.

"We're all surrounded by idiots." - Kobe Bryant
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject:

CBS can't fire him, though.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: