PHOENIX GETS SPANKED BY NEW JERSEY!... prospects looking brighter?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingKobe8thWonder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: PHOENIX GETS SPANKED BY NEW JERSEY!... prospects looking brighter?

Phoenix just got handed a nasty loss to the nets tonight! We played about as close with the nets as you can get! With kwame plaing how hes playing now, and getting a healthy Mihm back for the playoffs, Kobe and Lamar being who they are! I think we have a good shot to win this series.. and in convincing fashion too.. heres why.

Last season we played very close with phoenix in all our losses, and this season we played them on unfair overtime back to back tail end games! now with the focus on just them Phil and his coaching staff, Kobe being Kobe, and with improved interior defense, this series is ours to lose.

If we lose this series it will be from the permimeter, our 3 point defense is terrible and we cant slow down guards to save our lives, Kobe will have to work double trouble in the playoffs to make up for our lack of Perimeter while scoring in the high 30's, but against Phoenix thats not a tall order!!

THoughts?
DiehardLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Phoenix will not play that poorly in more than 1 game in the series
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Phx got their heads jumped on tonight. So frickin what?? Doesn't every team once in a while?? Doesn't mean anything for the Lakers chances of beating them.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Already a couple threads on this (one of 'em I started)

Both already moved to NBA General Discussion.

Prepare for the pain!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:

DiehardLakerFan wrote:
Phoenix will not play that poorly in more than 1 game in the series

Actually they wont play that bad once in the series. That was a horrible game for them that wont happen twice this game proves nothing other then if they have there worst shooting night ever they wont come close to winning.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Phx got their heads jumped on tonight. So frickin what?? Doesn't every team once in a while?? Doesn't mean anything for the Lakers chances of beating them.

No, but it isn't just 1 game. Phoenix is 5 - 5 in their last 10 games. They haven't been playing great basketball, even since before Stoudemire came back. Everyone thinks it'll be so easy for the team to adjust to Amare, but that's folly. Most of these guys haven't ever even played with him before, let alone the fact that it always takes time to adjust to playing with a dominant player. Just look at how long it took these guys to get use to Kobe. Amare's a different type of player, but he's still a dominant player that teammates must adjust to. Then there's the likelihood that he'll be a bit protective of that knee, which will cause a bit of a slow down. You don't go through what he's been through, and not feel protective of that part of your body. It makes him a little hesitant - which is still pretty dam good - but all it takes is just a slow down. That's the goal in the playoffs. Slow them down, make them play half court. They lose, other team wins.

I have no qualms about playing Phoenix at all. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it. I believe...
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:

^^^Every team matches up different. It really doesn't matter how they're playing against other teams because WE don't match up against them very well. We haven't beat them in 2 years.

I'm not saying we can't beat them or that I'm nervous about meeting them in the 1st round. I'm not. I think it's more important that the team has good momentum and playing well than any one opponent.

But to start breaking out the party favors because New Jersey jumps on Phx (BTW, NJ's been beating on everyone lately) is an overreaction at the very least.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Whose breaking out party favors? It's a simple recognition of the fact that the playoffs are near and Phoenix isn't building the good momentum you'd like to have as you near the playoffs. They've played .500 ball over the past 10 games. They don't have the smooth momentum they've had almost all year, because they haven't been playing as well. It happens to every team but the timing is nice.

That's not insignificant. We've all heard about the value of playing well as you enter the playoffs. There's reason to be pleased that they're struggling a little at this time of the year.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorta hoping Phoenix keeps winning (except when the play us, of course) and keeps a better record than the Heat because I want the highest possible draft pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
I'm sorta hoping Phoenix keeps winning (except when the play us, of course) and keeps a better record than the Heat because I want the highest possible draft pick.

You do realize this draft is probably the worst of all time? and half of the Lottery prospects this years draft would probably been late 1st round picks or even 2nd round picks?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Whose breaking out party favors? It's a simple recognition of the fact that the playoffs are near and Phoenix isn't building the good momentum you'd like to have as you near the playoffs. They've played .500 ball over the past 10 games. They don't have the smooth momentum they've had almost all year, because they haven't been playing as well. It happens to every team but the timing is nice.

That's not insignificant. We've all heard about the value of playing well as you enter the playoffs. There's reason to be pleased that they're struggling a little at this time of the year.

Means nothing to me. Until we figure out how to win a game against this team, how they're playing anybody else means absolutely nothing. Good teams can hit a little bit of a slide and still recover...especially when they get to play a team that hasn't beaten them in 2 years. I don't want the Lakers to be the team that Phx gets their mojo back against.

The good news is, Phillip has 2 more tries before the season ends to put a good plan together that doesn't involve playing small ball.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

There's a difference in coming up with a plan that you have to relay quickly because it's the 2nd of a back to back and against a team that scores and runs all night long; than it is to have a rested team who was able to watch game film and have a practice to prepare. 2 years? Who cares what Tomjanovich's or Hamblen's teams didn't do? I don't. Everyone took turns beating us last year. That's not a trend. This year, we've played Phoenix on the 2nd of a back to back every single time. Just like with the Wolves - and we lost the 1st 3 against them, yet no one talked about how superior they were to us, and most gave fair consideration to the fact that it was always ending a back to back.

The playoffs are an entirely different beast with different preparation opportunities. We don't really know how THIS team, with THIS coach, will do against the Suns in a playoff series, with a week to focus on their sweet spots and weaknesses, and devise a game plan. I do know, however, that this coach is awfully good at finding ways to cut off the head of the opponent (see Tony Parker). Heck, we don't even know how this team would do rested. We're athletic enough, though. We have guys who match up well at their strong points. I'd love to play them rested on Friday, but instead we don't play them again until the 2nd of a back to back. This isn't about excuses, but legs DO get tired when you're playing against a fast paced running team, where the key to winning is in staying in front of them to control tempo. That does matter, though we're much improved since we last played them regardless.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:

DaggerInTheHeart wrote:
pokoy wrote:

You do realize this draft is probably the worst of all time? and half of the Lottery prospects this years draft would probably been late 1st round picks or even 2nd round picks?

I do, and I also realize that it's not like our track record in the draft shows that we'd take advantage of a pick that's one spot higher - but it doesn't mean some other team won't want it in a package for when we try and upgrade through trades this summer.

That and if the Heat finish the season with a better record than Miami, the Wade jockers in the media will have more to use to justify voting for him over Nash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Phoenix lives by the jumpshot, they die by it. 7 of 23 from 3. Oh and Amare's comeback isn't helping either.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject:

Wow Nash and Amare 0 points 0-5 Nash 0-6 Amare!

Hooray Mitch!!!!
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the radio stations here were talking about it this morning. Evidently, after that first initial game where he score 20 and 9, mostly on adrenaline, Amare has come back down to earth. I don't know if any of you have seen him play, but I saw a bit from that first game, and what stood out to me was how he has no lift. I know that's common in players coming back from microfracture surgery, but it was sad to see from someone so young and athletic. The guys on the sports shows were commenting on the same thing this morning, saying he didn't look very well, and they are reporting that Amare is saying that he doesn't feel right, that his knee isn't where it should be. The guys on the radio station are calling for the team to shut him down before he damages it. I guess Jerry Colangelo talked to Amare about a week ago and basically encouraged him to try to play, even though Amare wasn't sure he was ready. Looks like it may have been too soon. I know this could affect the Lakers in a roundabout way, thought ya'll might be interested in what i heard on the way into work this a.m.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

Means nothing to me. Until we figure out how to win a game against this team, how they're playing anybody else means absolutely nothing. Good teams can hit a little bit of a slide and still recover...especially when they get to play a team that hasn't beaten them in 2 years. I don't want the Lakers to be the team that Phx gets their mojo back against.

The good news is, Phillip has 2 more tries before the season ends to put a good plan together that doesn't involve playing small ball.

before we beat the spurs the last game we haven't beat them in 2 years as well. they were 6-0 against us. right now the suns are 6-0 against us in the last 2 years.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:

before we beat the spurs the last game we haven't beat them in 2 years as well. they were 6-0 against us. right now the suns are 6-0 against us in the last 2 years.

Yep. That game was big for us. There are certain streaks you gotta break. We broke the one against them and the Pistons and the Heat. I really don't want to go into a series with the Suns 0 for our last 8. This is a young and still fragile team, and they need to know they can beat them.

Some have suggested that Phil has been holding his cards against Phx which might explain the kind of non-sensical lineups he's used against them this season. I hope that's the case.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: