Lakers in News July 23/July 24, 2012

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Lakers in News July 23/July 24, 2012

Quote:
Midsummer update: How many needs have the Lakers filled?

Early last month, I looked at some pressing needs for the Lakers heading into the summer's draft/free-agency period, noting similarities to the list from the summer of 2011. Now the collegians and internationals have all been selected. Players, including most of the significant ones, have flown around the NBA in a flurry of trades and signings. DwightWatch! is in full swing (though reviews indicate viewers believe the plot is moving too slowly for their tastes).

Fair to say I'm a lot more optimistic about the 2012-13 season than I was before.

1. Outside shooting.

The problem: "[In 2011-12] the Lakers again fell short from the perimeter in the playoffs, hitting only 28.2 percent of their 3-pointers against the Thunder. Disappointing, but unfortunately not far off their 32.6 regular-season mark, meaning nothing about the way L.A. shot against OKC was fluky. Throughout the year, the Lakers had little floor-stretching capability, limiting space inside for their high end post game or lanes for dribble penetration. Help defenders could collapse on the ball whenever it entered the paint, comfortable nobody on the perimeter would make them pay."

The address: The Lakers still could use a classic floor-spreading spot-up shooter -- a Steve Novak type could put up video-game numbers surrounded by L.A.'s Big Four -- but certainly addressed the need with the acquisition of Steve Nash. While his primary value will come in doing point guard stuff, Nash will also be a major weapon on the perimeter. Last year's 39 percent mark from downtown was his worst in more than a decade, but would have pushed for the lead among regularly used Lakers. And while it was Nash's second straight sub-40 percent season, the slippage was more likely because of the decline of the roster around him than his actual shooting skills. Joined now with great post players and an elite wing in Kobe Bryant, there is every reason to expect Nash's percentages to rise back into the 40's.

If so, it's a huge boost to the offense. Plus, Nash's skills at the point should help improve the flagging percentages of his teammates.

The addition of Antawn Jamison brings another potential perimeter weapon (he's averaged no fewer than 4.1 3-point attempts in any of the last three seasons), though not necessarily a deadeye. A career .346 3-point shooter, Jamison has averaged 34.1 to 35.1 percent from downtown in every season since 2008-09. Not bad, but not remarkably efficient either.

2. Point guard productivity.

The problem: "[In '10-11] there was some improvement, as the Lakers PG's boosted their output to 14.9 points and 6.5 assists. Still their efficiency differential was again just off the bottom of the barrel ... Deadline day brought [Ramon] Sessions, at a cost of a couple first-round picks and veteran leadership in [Derek] Fisher. Do they still need a point guard? ... Depending on the composition of the team around him, Sessions could be plenty adequate. On the other hand, there's definitely space for an upgrade should the Lakers decide to plug in a true star at the position."

The address: He's Canadian, he makes film parodies, he used to play for that team Kobe hates.

LINK

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jerry West on Steve Nash Joining Lakers, Dwight Howard’s Still Uncertain Future

The Logo. Always good to hear what Mr. Jerry West thinks about the state of affairs in the National Basketball Association. And with the Los Angeles Lakers having made a splash in this year’s free agency, West is asked by Dan Patrick whether he thinks the balance of power has shifted out west, and whether the Lakers might still have a big move in them, namely for Dwight Howard.

If he thinks the Lakers adding Steve Nash changes the pecking order in the Western Conference:

“I don’t know if it changes the pecking order, but it does give them a player late in the game where Kobe Bryant doesn’t have to do all the work. He’s going to be able to get guys much better shots and he can make a shot consistently. He’s 38 years of age, he’s a wonderful athlete, and one of the things I think they needed, I think they needed more leadership on the team — he’s going to provide that. And they need to be more athletic. My only question is are they going to be better defensively. When I watched them last year, obviously I have great admiration for all they’ve accomplished, but I would think do they get better defensively. But I guaranteed they’ll be better offensively and more efficient.”

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mike Brown: Steve Nash 'a very intelligent leader

With an abbreviated training camp because of the lockout, he had to replace one of the greatest coaches of all-time in Phil Jackson. Brown had very little time to install his system, which was a far contrast from the triangle offense that the players had an intimate understanding of and experienced a lot of success with.
With things back to normal in the NBA, Brown has ample time this preseason to work with the team in preparation for the 2012-13 season. There's no lack of practice time, and he'll be able to do a lot more reiterating of his philosophies rather than teaching them from scratch

LINK
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject:

West certainly has a point about athleticism and defense. We definitely still need a backup 2 guard also, at this point the team has to be thinking about saving Kobe's legs for the post-season.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
West certainly has a point about athleticism and defense. We definitely still need a backup 2 guard also, at this point the team has to be thinking about saving Kobe's legs for the post-season.

Funny in all the concern threads, that's all I've been saying. I have no concerns about our offense or even age, I only worry about D. Lakers have to face a ton of athletic teams, and teams with great transition ability. Nash has made the Lakers able to play against quicker teams better, but they're still one of the slowest FC's in the league with Bynum/Gasol/Artest. Not like Jamison changes that either, or Hill.

Why I think a Dwight Howard trade makes so much sense - he resolves the 1 weakness remaining on this team. Defense/Team speed.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Moses wrote:

Funny in all the concern threads, that's all I've been saying. I have no concerns about our offense or even age, I only worry about D. Lakers have to face a ton of athletic teams, and teams with great transition ability. Nash has made the Lakers able to play against quicker teams better, but they're still one of the slowest FC's in the league with Bynum/Gasol/Artest. Not like Jamison changes that either, or Hill.

Why I think a Dwight Howard trade makes so much sense - he resolves the 1 weakness remaining on this team. Defense/Team speed.

No doubt, Dwight makes a ton of sense, and would mesh with the players we'd have around him really well.

Even with Dwight, we'd still have a huge, huge need for a backup to Kobe. Whether that means J-Rich, or someone like Jodie Meeks, this is a massive need for us IMO. I'd like Meeks, he'd be a nice bench scorer, and can shoot it from 3 pretty well.

Ideally we'd like to see Ebanks develop his J, and Eyenga improve his defense, because if those guys did those things they could be useful bench players too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject:

How much patience should Lakers have with Dwight Howard talks?

By Mark Medina

July 23, 2012, 1:38 p.m.

They say patience is a virtue. But does that describe the approach the Lakers should take in their pursuit of Dwight Howard?

The Orlando Magic appears to lack much urgency in dealing the disgruntled center; they're more interested in maximizing their trade value. Howard is prone to changing his mind, and last week's report that he's interested in the Lakers could mean absolutely nothing. And even if it lacks the same same splash as acquiring Howard would make, the Lakers still have to upgrade their bench.

There's already plenty of debate among Laker fans on whether the team should go after Howard or just stay with Andrew Bynum. But there also appears to be some debate as to how far the Lakers should go in chasing Howard. As with anything regarding negotiations, there are several pros and cons to consider.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-dwight-howard-patience-20120723,0,4620821.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Can Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol rebuild chemistry for next season?

By Mark Medina
July 23, 2012, 6:55 p.m.
The high-fives soon turned into cold shoulders. The pats on the head suddenly stopped. The encouraging words turned argumentative.

Although there were several issues plaguing last year's Lakers teams, perhaps the most disturbing one involved the dynamic between Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. As the Lakers' season came to a close in their Game 5 loss against Oklahoma City, the two were visibly frustrated and constantly argued with each other. It provided yet another reminder that things have changed since Gasol became the complementing force Bryant needed to ensure three consecutive NBA Finals appearances and two championships after the departure of Shaquille O'Neal. The image served as a possible reminder that this once fruitful relationship could end during a busy and uncertain offseason.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-can-kobe-bryant-pau-gasol-rebuild-chemistry-for-next-season-20120723,0,2616135.story?track=rss
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Breaking Down the Lakers Current Roster

When you're in the middle of the offseason, it's often hard to keep track of what your team's roster looks like. The Los Angeles Lakers have been working very hard to make their team better and fill in the gaps where they are lacking talent, like the point guard position.

While people who write about sports spend time every day keeping up on the latest trades, that's tough for a lot of people to do. This is a cheat-sheet for players the Lakers have kept or picked up and how long their contracts are with the team .

Kobe Bryant – Thankfully the Black Mamba is on the team for two more years. He'll be making a ton of money, which some say is crippling the team, but no doubt Kobe will be the most valuable player on the team.

Pau Gasol – The Spaniard will be with the Lakers for as long as Kobe, two more years, and he'll be getting $19 million each year. This will be good for the Lakers. While he lacks aggressiveness at times, Gasol has some fairly consistent numbers.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Breaking-Down-the-Lakers-Current-Roster-Blog-52658
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ch*an.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Source: Lakers eye Delonte West

LINK
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much, Ch*an. Thank you, too, Wolf - and everyone else who takes the time to do the news and contribute to the site. It is very much appreciated.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Thanks so much, Ch*an. Thank you, too, Wolf - and everyone else who takes the time to do the news and contribute to the site. It is very much appreciated.

I second that emotion

Coach Wooden
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks back wolf, LakerJam,Cat and all. Looks like Delonte
will resign with Dallas. I lost the report in english but here it is

Delonte West revient à Dallas
(Sport24.com) Publié le 25/07/2012 à 09:10 Réagir

Delonte West aux Lakers ? C'est non. Si la franchise de L.A. s'intéressait à lui, Delonte West a choisi de resigner pour une saison en faveur de Dallas selon Marc Stein d'ESPN. Les termes financiers de l'accord ne sont pas connus. Delonte West tournait à 9,6 points, 2,3 rebonds et 3,2 passes par match la saison dernière avec les Mavericks.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-sport/2012/07/25/97003-20120725FILSPO00265-delonte-west-revient-a-dallas.php
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject:

Donte West Returning To Mavericks, According To Report
Jul
8:01p
by Nick Fasulo

READ MORE: Delonte West (G - DAL), Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers

The Dallas Mavericks will reportedly re-sign free agent guard Delonte West, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The details are unclear, but if West actually is staying put in Dallas, consider it a good move for the franchise.

After losing veteran point guard Jason Kidd to the New York Knicks and Jason Terry to the Boston Celtics, West's value became that much more inflated for a team that's recently acquired Darren Collison and drafted Jared Cunningham to bolster a depleted

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/24/3184946/delonte-west-returning-to-mavericks
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject:

Five ways Jordan Hill's return helps the Lakers

Jordan Hill should help the Lakers in many ways after re-signing with them to a two-year deal worth around $7 million. (Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times / May 6, 2012) / July 24, 2012)
By Mark Medina
July 24, 2012, 10:24 p.m.
Below are five ways Jordan Hill's return to the Lakers significantly helps the team's bench.

1. The job of the Lakers' front office becomes easier. By securing Hill with a two-year deal for around $7 million, the Lakers' quest to upgrade their bench becomes a lot easier. The Lakers could offer such a contract partly because they own Hill's "Bird Rights." But they had hoped to acquire every other reserve at the veteran's minimum. Such constraints would've made it nearly impossible to find another forward with a skill set similar to Hill's.

The Lakers are probably far from finished with changing their bench, considering they're not expected to re-sign Matt Barnes and Troy Murphy. But with Antawn Jamison and Hill locked up, the Lakers already made two crucial signings without having to bite deeply into their finances.

2. Energy. The Lakers don't need to worry about calling Hill's number. He displayed the mind-set the Lakers want bench players to have. He made himself valuable by hustling for loose balls, owning the glass (4.8 rebounds per game) and providing a physical presence.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-five-ways-jordan-hills-return-helps-the-lakers-20120724,0,1656984.story?track=rss
ForrestHump
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject:

Welcome back Cha*n (im the only one that spelled your usn right lol)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: