MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Anyone bought yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
akbroker wrote:
macbooks look really cool and sturdy. no question about it, the best looking gadgets. so i can't blame anyone who decides to spend that amount on them. having said that, i'd rather spend the same amount of $ on an alienware laptop. and i'm not even a gamer. just curious how spectacular the graphics would be on such a powerful laptop.

For mobile gamers, Alienware's pretty much it (other than Sager). I use that as my primary and gaming laptop and my older Macbook Pro from the lab as a lecture/library setup. Both have great customer service and work great anyways. *knock on wood*

How about the gaming laptops that you can get off of cyberpowerpc.com or ibuypower.com?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
akbroker wrote:
macbooks look really cool and sturdy. no question about it, the best looking gadgets. so i can't blame anyone who decides to spend that amount on them. having said that, i'd rather spend the same amount of $ on an alienware laptop. and i'm not even a gamer. just curious how spectacular the graphics would be on such a powerful laptop.

For mobile gamers, Alienware's pretty much it (other than Sager). I use that as my primary and gaming laptop and my older Macbook Pro from the lab as a lecture/library setup. Both have great customer service and work great anyways. *knock on wood*

Isn't the top of the line ASUS a really good gaming notebook still? The RoG laptops.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:
akbroker wrote:

Isn't the top of the line ASUS a really good gaming notebook still? The RoG laptops.

It's a good bang for the buck type. I wanted 580 SLI's and at the time, it was Alienware. Plus, I found the RGBLED on the Alienware much better than the Asus screen. I would say it's very comparable to the 17"
MacBook Pro screen of the time. Not to mention the Alienware has HDMI In/Out so I can use it as a miniature TV or a PS3/360 monitor.

Last edited by rwongega on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:

undefeatedAJ wrote:
stevie wrote:
undefeatedAJ wrote:
stevie wrote:
siyanur wrote:
stivi you gonna be legend member of lg

i feel it

I've been lurking here for a few years now, but I just had to share that thought.

I'm being politically incorrect here, but the only people that purchase macs seem to be easily swayed by marketing and advertising and are so incompetent in taking care of their own computer, that they'd rather have it be idiot proof and restrictive for 3 times the amount, than take some accountability and learn how to use a proper computer.

PEACE

Good rebuttal bro.

I majored in computer engineering. I have a mac. So am I incompetent in taking care of my own computer?

Of course not. People like Stevie are insecure about their PCs and jealous that people are able to afford Macs so they make lame putdowns.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, but I'm not technologically illiterate. The HPs I've had just sucked. Dell was pretty solid, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
akbroker wrote:

How about the gaming laptops that you can get off of cyberpowerpc.com or ibuypower.com?

They're Sager/Clevo, Compal, or MSI based notebooks that are re-branded and then sold.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
akbroker wrote:

They're Sager/Clevo, Compal, or MSI based notebooks that are re-branded and then sold.

How the hell do YOU have time to game? You game, post on LG, sleep sufficiently, and still do all of that studying? How much did you study per week at UCLA?

And if you play StarCraft 2 then let me play you so I can four-gate you.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
rwongega wrote:
akbroker wrote:

How the hell do YOU have time to game? You game, post on LG, sleep sufficiently, and still do all of that studying? How much did you study per week at UCLA?

And if you play StarCraft 2 then let me play you so I can four-gate you.

It's called time management. And I mostly play FPS these days. Haven't touched StarCraft 2 in a year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject:

Dude. With sleep and studying?

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dude. With sleep and studying?

Very doable. Just not during midterm/finals weeks.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:
stevie wrote:

It's so idiotic I just had to register.

So one person invests in a reliable, cutting-edge machine that will last him through college and maybe even grad school, while another person (presumably from HP) decides to lament over losing another customer.

If your company built and supported products like Apple, maybe he wouldn't have to switch in the first place.

It's pricy, but over the long term it evens out.

My 2008 plastic MacBook has now lasted me for fours years with only a marginal decline in performance.

On the other hand, I've gone through two HP desktops. The first just declined so much that it took five seconds to open a page and became unresponsive constantly. The second was built with a faulty motherboard and broke within six months. They oh-so-graciously replaced it after I complained to customer service like ten times. There's a (bleep) warranty for a reason. You don't ask the customer questions and try to refuse them servicing. I googled it and some guys are trying to get a class-action lawsuit going.

And of course, six months later, the same damn issue. Every single time I've called in they claim it's a software issue and refuse to replace it again. One (bleep) even made me reformat my computer and deceived me into thinking that backing it up would allow me to restore it the way it was, when in reality it just gave me a bunch of files on my flash drive. I was pissed.

And now they refuse to replace it, so my dad is just going to use his credit card's warranty to get the money back. I would have done a chargeback just so that crappy and shameful company HP loses money.

It's absolutely disgusting the way those people practice business. They should all be thrown in jail.

Mac customer service, on the other hand? No questions asked. There doesn't even need to be an actual problem for them to replace parts for you, free of charge and within a week. My friend dented his Mac with a bobblehead. Replaced that part of the exterior for him. Took out all of his keys and tried to get a black/white keyboard, backed out and then wanted it back the way it was. Replaced for free.

Hell, he basically got every single part replaced with no questions asked. I'm willing to pay the extra money just for the customer service around, not to mention the user-friendliness and durability over time.

And of course all the insecure PC lovers make the "They require maintenance" argument and whine about how the Retina can't be upgraded or fixed by the owner.

Look, if you have nothing better to do than take your computer apart for fun and (bleep) to Gizmodo, then get a PC.

Everyone else: Get a Mac.

Like, debating is fine and all, but just browsing the web there's just so many bitter PC users who act all condescending because they don't use Macs, probably because they can't even afford one. It's pathetic.

The ultimate in irony from a guy what wants to be an investment banker. But it figures he has his "daddy's credit card insurance" to bail him out from his bad purchases. Sound familiar?

Because everybody involved in finance is a terrible person. And I'm for Wall Street reform. Just because I want to be one doesn't mean I support what they do. If it were up to me, we would take the Iceland route and divide/nationalize the banks. At the very least, bring back Glass-Steagall.

And haha, yeah, consumer protection is totally like credit default swaps! What a brilliant analogy.

You've really never heard of John Corzine? Probably not the best example anymore because of the recent MF Global scandal, but you get my point. There are plenty of liberals in finance.

As if a liberal is a good thing. Even your example (Corzine) is a criminal.

Who bailed you out of your bad decision on a computer? Yourself? No Your dad did, via the credit card company. Once again someone else gets to foot the bill. In the case of investment bankers the US tax payers get to pay for their mistakes by bail out. CEOs still get their bonuses.

Life with no consequences, must be great.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:
stevie wrote:

So one person invests in a reliable, cutting-edge machine that will last him through college and maybe even grad school, while another person (presumably from HP) decides to lament over losing another customer.

If your company built and supported products like Apple, maybe he wouldn't have to switch in the first place.

It's pricy, but over the long term it evens out.

My 2008 plastic MacBook has now lasted me for fours years with only a marginal decline in performance.

On the other hand, I've gone through two HP desktops. The first just declined so much that it took five seconds to open a page and became unresponsive constantly. The second was built with a faulty motherboard and broke within six months. They oh-so-graciously replaced it after I complained to customer service like ten times. There's a (bleep) warranty for a reason. You don't ask the customer questions and try to refuse them servicing. I googled it and some guys are trying to get a class-action lawsuit going.

And of course, six months later, the same damn issue. Every single time I've called in they claim it's a software issue and refuse to replace it again. One (bleep) even made me reformat my computer and deceived me into thinking that backing it up would allow me to restore it the way it was, when in reality it just gave me a bunch of files on my flash drive. I was pissed.

And now they refuse to replace it, so my dad is just going to use his credit card's warranty to get the money back. I would have done a chargeback just so that crappy and shameful company HP loses money.

It's absolutely disgusting the way those people practice business. They should all be thrown in jail.

Mac customer service, on the other hand? No questions asked. There doesn't even need to be an actual problem for them to replace parts for you, free of charge and within a week. My friend dented his Mac with a bobblehead. Replaced that part of the exterior for him. Took out all of his keys and tried to get a black/white keyboard, backed out and then wanted it back the way it was. Replaced for free.

Hell, he basically got every single part replaced with no questions asked. I'm willing to pay the extra money just for the customer service around, not to mention the user-friendliness and durability over time.

And of course all the insecure PC lovers make the "They require maintenance" argument and whine about how the Retina can't be upgraded or fixed by the owner.

Look, if you have nothing better to do than take your computer apart for fun and (bleep) to Gizmodo, then get a PC.

Everyone else: Get a Mac.

Like, debating is fine and all, but just browsing the web there's just so many bitter PC users who act all condescending because they don't use Macs, probably because they can't even afford one. It's pathetic.

The ultimate in irony from a guy what wants to be an investment banker. But it figures he has his "daddy's credit card insurance" to bail him out from his bad purchases. Sound familiar?

Because everybody involved in finance is a terrible person. And I'm for Wall Street reform. Just because I want to be one doesn't mean I support what they do. If it were up to me, we would take the Iceland route and divide/nationalize the banks. At the very least, bring back Glass-Steagall.

And haha, yeah, consumer protection is totally like credit default swaps! What a brilliant analogy.

You've really never heard of John Corzine? Probably not the best example anymore because of the recent MF Global scandal, but you get my point. There are plenty of liberals in finance.

As if a liberal is a good thing. Even your example (Corzine) is a criminal.

Who bailed you out of your bad decision on a computer? Yourself? No Your dad did, via the credit card company. Once again someone else gets to foot the bill. In the case of investment bankers the US tax payers get to pay for their mistakes by bail out. CEOs still get their bonuses.

Life with no consequences, must be great.

Of course I understand your hatred of the investment banking sector. The amount of power and lack of accountability with the banks is ridiculous.

Hence why I would want to become a banker, yes?

MY bad decision? I didn't pick the computer. And like I said, others have had the same problem. They use defective parts and then blame the customer. It's business practice for them.

Oh, and shut up. Like you paid for everything when you were 18.

Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Weird. I have a HP laptop. Haven't had any problems. I had an ASUS laptop before, and never had any problems with that either. Perhaps the user has more of an impact than many here would like to admit.

I have nothing at all against Apple, and even have quite a few of their products (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV). I just didn't want to pay triple the price for a laptop.

CC, I think you'd have a much easier time if you weren't so damn condescending to anyone who disagreed with you. Just because someone isn't a fan of Mac Books doesn't mean that they are jealous, poor, or have some sort of vendetta against Apple.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
MiniMamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject:

On my new Macbook Pro Retina as we speak Trust me on this one, worth every penny I shelled out for this bad boy.

"Come hell or high water, we're going to be there again"

- Kobe Bryant after game 5 loss to the Thunder.
lkrs323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject:

Got the new one and love it. I need to somehow install mirc on it though.
lkrs323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject:

The display is sick btw.
lkrs323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:

Got it for free too.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject:

lkrs323 wrote:
Got it for free too.

Nice!

How?

Jeffs, they started the condescension, so I don't really see why I should act differently in return.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
stevie wrote:

I randomly thought of this post just now. 2012 Mac Retina in fact lasted me through all of college and all the way into grad school.

McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject:

anybody have an older retina macbook pro they wanna sell me? my 2008 is on its last legs
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: