Kupchak should get some executive of the year votes/Offseason plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Kupchak should get some executive of the year votes/Offseason plans

He will not win it, but I bet he finishes about 5. With the way we are playing and with Bynum waiting in the wings, I just am in no hurry to trade this offseason unless it really makes sense. Don't mess with chemistry unless the trade is just too good to pass up. My offseason would be simple: draft a guard, resign Devean to a 2 year deal, and sign B.Jackson to a 2 year deal. This team needs a veteran guard and he can give us that. He likes to score, but that does not bother me. With Damon and Atkins, maybe Memphis does not go all out to sign him and he wants to play for us to stick it to Sac.

PG-Smush, B.Jackson, draft pick
SG-Kobe, Sasha, Wafer
SF-Odom, Walton, D.George
PF-Kwame, Cook, Turiaf
C-Mihm, Bynum

This is a very good basketball team. I would pick us to win about 52 games next year and be the 5th or 6th seed. I see a second round exit (Spurs or Suns) but this is what you have to go through to get to the top. Now more than ever, I have hope that this team can pull into a title team, but Bynum must work out, and we need to add a vet, as well as count on continued improvement from our youngsters. But this team is in good shape now, and Mitch has to get some credit.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

Wow. Are you wearing your flame proof suit?
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!! NO!

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure Mitch will get any votes, but I agree that he has done a good job. As for the offseason plans, I would pass on drafting a PG, and try to bring one in via MLE or trade. No more inexperience that we are seeing from Smush, I want a vet who can still play.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

This is the first year I thought Mitch did a pretty good job. I liked the Bynum and Turiaf picks, as well as the Caron trade. The McKie signing was awful, and the expiring contracts not being utilized was a wasted opportunity. But the good far outweighed the bad.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

NY_LakerFan wrote:

Then again, why bother....
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

I still say we utilize the pick. We need to keep all of our players so if the opportunity does come along to make a big trade we will have the pieces to deal. As I said, we may not even need to do that. Once the Bulls traded Oakley for Cartwright after 88, it took that team two more East Finals losses to the Pistons to become champs. I think we are on the same track.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:

This year Mitch has been much better than previous years but no way does he qualify for executive of the year IMO. He brought in some good young talent (3 years too late) and managed the cap so we have a chance to sign a big free agent in 2007/2008. Good but not outstanding.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kupchak should get some executive of the year votes/Offseason plans

ericp6387 wrote:
He will not win it, but I bet he finishes about 5. With the way we are playing and with Bynum waiting in the wings, I just am in no hurry to trade this offseason unless it really makes sense. Don't mess with chemistry unless the trade is just too good to pass up. My offseason would be simple: draft a guard, resign Devean to a 2 year deal, and sign B.Jackson to a 2 year deal. This team needs a veteran guard and he can give us that. He likes to score, but that does not bother me. With Damon and Atkins, maybe Memphis does not go all out to sign him and he wants to play for us to stick it to Sac.

PG-Smush, B.Jackson, draft pick
SG-Kobe, Sasha, Wafer
SF-Odom, Walton, D.George
PF-Kwame, Cook, Turiaf
C-Mihm, Bynum

This is a very good basketball team. I would pick us to win about 52 games next year and be the 5th or 6th seed. I see a second round exit (Spurs or Suns) but this is what you have to go through to get to the top. Now more than ever, I have hope that this team can pull into a title team, but Bynum must work out, and we need to add a vet, as well as count on continued improvement from our youngsters. But this team is in good shape now, and Mitch has to get some credit.

Really?? It looks like the same basketball team with an injury prone pg, bad draft pick, and kwame being pushed to power forward. Heck that might be worse if Kwame can't produce at the PF. This is becoming increasingly like last year. We have two C's (just like we had two SF last year), trade Mihm and fillers for a PF. Doesn't matter if its Boozer, just someone who can play the PF position to balance the team out.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

Kupchak should deserve credit for not making trades just to make trades. I think the Lakers do need to make a second guard not named Smush or Sasha. Everyone keeps talking about Mike James and I agree... James would be a very good fit to play alongside Kobe. I wouldn't mind moving Mihm and George in a S&T for James.

With an emerging Kwame and then a growing Bynum, Mihm becomes expendable. I'd then try and sign a solid veteran PF with the MLE.

But Kupchak has put together a solid team... look at the Bulls and how long it has taken them to become competitive since Jordan/Pippen... It took the Lakers a season to make it back to the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

2 words
Kobe Bryant

This guy plus suberb coaching from Phil jackson could have got the Sparks into the playoffs.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

Wow, the winds have certainly changed around here...
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

Let's take a look at it. I think the three biggest factors for winning Executive of the Year are (1) improvement in record, (2) big personnel move such as a trade or free agent signing that is given as the reason for the big improvement in record and (3) a record at least good enough for the playoffs.

Here are the teams that have improved their winning percentage over last year:
NO/Oklahoma City 0.266
Utah 0.162
Detroit 0.149
Atlanta 0.147
Milwaukee 0.141
LA Clippers 0.132
LA Lakers 0.118
New Jersey 0.099
Cleveland 0.091
San Antonio 0.061
Charlotte 0.050
Dallas 0.036
Memphis 0.019
Golden State 0.002

Look at the teams:
NO/Oklahoma City
Currently aren't making the playoffs. Big move was drafting the rookie of the year with the #3 pick. Not good enough

Utah
Currently aren't making the playoffs. Big move was having Kirilenko healthy. Not good enough

Detroit
Best record in the NBA. Big move was hiring a new coach. Not good enough

Atlanta
A terrible team that improved to really bad. Not good enough

Milwaukee
My #1 choice
* Drafted on of the top rookies (Andrew Bogut) with the #1 pick
* Fired coach Terry Porter
* Hired a new coach (Terry Stotts)
* Signed free agent Bobby Simmons
* Re-signed Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric
* Acquired Jamaal Magloire

LA Clippers
My #3 choice
* Drafted Yaroslav Korolev with the #12 pick
* Signed free agent Cuttino Mobley
* Traded RFA Marko Jaric for Sam Cassell and a first round pick

LA Lakers
My #4 choice

New Jersey
No major personnel changes. Not good enough

Cleveland
My #2 choice
* Signed free agents Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones
* Re-signed Zydrunas Ilgauskas
* Traded Mike Wilks for Flip Murray
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
Let's take a look at it. I think the three biggest factors for winning Executive of the Year are (1) improvement in record, (2) big personnel move such as a trade or free agent signing that is given as the reason for the big improvement in record and (3) a record at least good enough for the playoffs.

Here are the teams that have improved their winning percentage over last year:
NO/Oklahoma City 0.266
Utah 0.162
Detroit 0.149
Atlanta 0.147
Milwaukee 0.141
LA Clippers 0.132
LA Lakers 0.118
New Jersey 0.099
Cleveland 0.091
San Antonio 0.061
Charlotte 0.050
Dallas 0.036
Memphis 0.019
Golden State 0.002

Look at the teams:
NO/Oklahoma City
Currently aren't making the playoffs. Big move was drafting the rookie of the year with the #3 pick. Not good enough

Utah
Currently aren't making the playoffs. Big move was having Kirilenko healthy. Not good enough

Detroit
Best record in the NBA. Big move was hiring a new coach. Not good enough

Atlanta
A terrible team that improved to really bad. Not good enough

Milwaukee
My #1 choice
* Drafted on of the top rookies (Andrew Bogut) with the #1 pick
* Fired coach Terry Porter
* Hired a new coach (Terry Stotts)
* Signed free agent Bobby Simmons
* Re-signed Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric
* Acquired Jamaal Magloire

LA Clippers
My #3 choice
* Drafted Yaroslav Korolev with the #12 pick
* Signed free agent Cuttino Mobley
* Traded RFA Marko Jaric for Sam Cassell and a first round pick

LA Lakers
My #4 choice

New Jersey
No major personnel changes. Not good enough

Cleveland
My #2 choice
* Signed free agents Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones
* Re-signed Zydrunas Ilgauskas
* Traded Mike Wilks for Flip Murray

You're not accounting for teams who took a big blow and still kept pace.

Phoenix for example.

They lose Amare for the season.

Absolutely rob the Hawks by an S&T of Joe Johnson (max) to Atlanta for
2 first-round picks, one NOT protected AND Boris Diaw, who ends
up a triple-double threat on a nightly basis. They move Q-Rich for Kurt
Thomas, which some think is a bad move until we all realize that the Suns
allow 7ppg less with Kurt Thomas in the lineup (thank goodness he
likely won't be back for the 1st round!). They pick up Raja Bell, who is
clearly a defensive stud.

Not to mention bringing in Tim Thomas, James Jones and hidden-gem
Eddit House.

When you consider what Colangelo did with that team since last year,
the moves he made - all the players he brought in who people thought
were scrubs but he knew would fit the system and overperform...

...all that, sans Amare, and they're still the 2nd-seed.

Gotta give it to Colangelo IMO.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
2 words
Kobe Bryant

This guy plus suberb coaching from Phil jackson could have got the Sparks into the playoffs.

Oh how true. And they are the first two who wouldn’t give Mitch “…of the Year”. They expect a team to contain more than a walk-on PG and a struggling overwhelmed Euro as the backcourt mates for the NBA’s best player. No experience. No depth. Continued waste on the exception signings.

I also keep seeing by fans the want to use the MLE on an emerging PG or PF this off season. If you want/write that, then you have just blown a hole straight through any near term free agency hopes. You have in effect abandoned mid-stream the Cap Room Plan before it has a chance to even succeed. If you think that then the front office has failed.

If we are blowing the Cap Plan now we should have determined that 18 months ago and made two solid MLE signings and a LLE the past off seasons. To start down that path belatedly would make Mitch look clueless.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

I'd be interested in Bobby Jackson too, but I am concerned with his history of injuries and our own recent history of signing vets who break down before they get a chance to make any significant impact on the court.

The guys a Warrior though, and if he comes at a reasonable price, I'd support that move -- if the Lakers doctors agree.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

MIL?...
*** Drafting 1st is not an offs-season GM move...
*** BUt then again he could have picked Sam Bowie type...

As far as Executive(s);

#1-Phx steal from Atl
#2-Memp for still being playoff calibur with all those off season moves
#3-Clippers - Rad M, etc
#4-Miami - well so many would walk onto MIA
#5-LAL: Playoffs with 3 new starters...
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:

You have give props to Mitch. He has put together a team that Phil/Kobe will take into the playoffs. It wouldn't surprise me if we get to the second round especially if we can get to the 6th seed and go against Denver.

As far as offseason

1)Lakers need to focus on improving PG defense. I was thinking of Mike James but he seems to be too high maintance and we cost too much. Signing Banks would good move. Smush and Banks splitting the time at PG would give us a nice combo.

2) I would also try to resign Devean or try to bring back JJ. Always liked JJ hustle.

3) Bring back Profit to backup Kobe.

4) Draft an athletic defensive oriented player at the 3, 4 or 5 spot. I would also consider bigman with a good ouside shot that could replace Cook. I like Cook but just too one dimensional. I don't have any names but those are the type of players I would like to see the Lakers draft.

5) I would also consider looking to trade some extra pices with Mihm being the key piece to trade for a starting PF.

6) Release Mckie or use his contract to match salaries.

PG-[Banks], Smush, Sasha
SG-Kobe, Profit, Wafer
SF-Odom, Walton, D.George/JJ
PF-[Trade for Starting PF], Cook, Turiaf, [Draft pick]
C- Kwame, Bynum
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
Kobe>T-mac wrote:
2 words
Kobe Bryant

Oh how true. And they are the first two who wouldn’t give Mitch “…of the Year”.

Who says? Phil seems more than content with who he has this year and Kobe has repeatedly said that rebuilding will take time (as in years as opposed to months).

I have a feeling that Phil and Kobe would be more willing than a lot of fans around here because they know how hard it is to put together a team that can contend.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
Kobe>T-mac wrote:
2 words
Kobe Bryant

Oh how true. And they are the first two who wouldn’t give Mitch “…of the Year”. They expect a team to contain more than a walk-on PG and a struggling overwhelmed Euro as the backcourt mates for the NBA’s best player. No experience. No depth. Continued waste on the exception signings.

Buss, Mitch, Phil and Kobe are on the same page and know the plan. Give Mitch credit for brining in the players and managing the cap space. Give Phil credit for their development, give Kobe credit for leading and motivating, and give Buss credit for directing the team from the top. I don't care about votes or awards, I am pleased to see the team improve and grow. They are doing it right.
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject:

get Banks and someone with the skill level of Boozer in the offseason, I would wait until the season ended before praising Mitch - some moves have turned out ok, but some of his moves have been real brain farts.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
2 words
Kobe Bryant

And Odom, Mihm, Brown, Parker.

^^ Farmar

samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

NY_LakerFan wrote:

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

lol, that's classic. ^
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have merely done what they should have this season...no GM will ever win an award for that.

For the record, I think Colangelo should get it...who could have predicted their continued success despite the loss of Johnson and Q? He made them into a tougher team, found a diamond in the rough (Diaw) and was able to fleece ATL out of 2 picks.

(No wonder ATL's majority owner tried to veto the deal...doesn't sound so crazy now).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: