Lakers in the News 8/26/12 & 8/27/12

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 8/26/12 & 8/27/12

Quote:
Kevin Durant: Lakers impressive on 'paper'

Olympic training in early July that Dwight Howard would be traded to the Lakers, there were plenty of skeptics.

Howard had several suitors at that point, but Bryant's prediction still stayed in the back of Kevin Durant's mind. Bryant's words eventually became reality as Howard was dealt to the Lakers from the Orlando Magic in a four-team blockbuster trade on Aug. 10.

"Kobe called that a month before it happened," Durant told Yahoo! Sports while promoting his new movie "Thunderstruck."

"I didn't believe him. He was just like, 'We are going to have Dwight. We are going to have Steve Nash.' He just talks a lot of trash, jokes and laughs. But he said it. I don't think anyone paid attention to it but me and him. He said it and it happened. And they got better, a lot better.

"Dwight's name was being thrown on every team. Houston, Brooklyn, the Lakers. But I guess he called it right."

With his focus on an Olympic gold medal at the time of that trade, Durant initially declined to discuss how the Lakers' moves could affect the Thunder's hopes of returning to the NBA Finals next season. But now that he's back home with a gold medal in hand, Durant says the "confident" Thunder are looking forward to the challenge posed by the new-look Lakers next season.

"People outside, fans, media, of course they are going to say [the Lakers are the favorites] because on paper they have the best lineup in the league. But you still got to play the games. We respect everybody. We are going to go through the league respecting everybody as well.

"We already view ourselves as an elite team, but we have to prove it again. Last year is over with."

The Thunder knocked off the Lakers in the second round of the playoffs last season. Los Angeles, however, has replaced traded All-Star center Andrew Bynum and departed point guard Ramon Sessions for two perennial All-Stars in Howard and Nash. The veteran Lakers have also added some depth in Antawn Jamison, Jodie Meeks, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark while re-signing Jordan Hill and keeping Pau Gasol.

Meanwhile, the Thunder return wiser and more experienced after losing to the Heat in the NBA Finals. Oklahoma City has a nemesis of Howard's in defensive-minded center Kendrick Perkins. Additionally, point guard Eric Maynor will return from injury and the Thunder have an intriguing rookie in Perry Jones III.

"It was a great move for [the Lakers]," Durant said. "[Howard] is the most dominant center in the league. It's going to make it tough on other teams. But I like that challenge. We all like that challenge in OKC. It should be fun.

"That's what the Lakers do. They make big moves. That's part of their DNA."

LINK

Last edited by 32 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Charles Oakley: Orlando Magic needed to put 'crying' Dwight Howard 'in timeout'

Former NBA enforcer Charles Oakley has proven time after time over the years that he suffers no fools. Dwight Howard, meanwhile, has always had a bit of goofiness to his showmanship, and his clown act went totally off the rails last season, amidst trade demands, awkward confrontations with his coach, a press conference where he professed his so-called "loyalty," more trade demands, a season-ending back surgery, hiding out in Los Angeles and, finally, a long-awaited trade to the Lakers that freed the Orlando Magic from his child-like indecision and neediness.

Surprise, surprise, the hard-headed Oakley didn't like how the "Dwightmare" played out. In a recent ESPN Radio interview, Oakley got a few digs in on Howard and took the Magic to task for their appeasement of their former franchise center.

"A lot of guys cry in this league these days. I try not to get caught up in that. The management in Orlando let him get away with it. Most times, they put kids in timeout. They never put him in timeout. He just kept crying and got his way. Now he's in LA with Kobe so they got a chance to win a couple championships in the next two or three years.

"They could have traded him and got something better for him last year. I think they just tried to play along. They just pleased him anyway they could but he never did anything to please them."

Hard to argue with any of that. The Magic bungled the entire mess badly, settling for pennies on the dollar years after it became clear a future was untenable, while also losing former coach Stan Van Gundy in the process.

What's interesting is that Oakley was actually way out in front of the bubbling Howard mess. Back in June 2010, he questioned Howard's commitment to the game during a Florida radio interview.

The Orlando Sentinel captured the relevant quotes.

"Dwight Howard is embarrassing Patrick (Ewing) if you ask me," Oakley said in the interview. "He doesn't have a ball player's mind. And they tell me he is one of the best centers in the game. He wouldn't have even made the league 10 years ago. He would be on the bench. They say he won't listen. Dwight won't listen. How can you not listen to Patrick Ewing?"

Ewing, of course, was a Magic assistant coach and Oakley's long-time former teammate with the New York Knicks.

What's funny here is that no one was really listening back in 2010. The Sentinel completely backed Howard's side in response to Oakley's comments, writing off Oakley as a "bitter" over-the-hill former player and arguing that Howard was simply facing too many expectations. Needless to say, local opinion in Central Florida regarding Howard has shifted considerably over the last two years.

While Oakley resorted to a bit of hyperbole two years ago, his underlying argument -- that Howard wasn't open to feedback from the coaching staff that would improve his game -- really foreshadowed the eventual rift between Howard and Van Gundy that caused Orlando's entire house of cards to come tumbling down.

The question for the Lakers is whether Howard has changed. Or, as Oakley believes now, all the coddling and giving in to Howard has only emboldened him. How Howard fits is the single biggest question for the Lakers next season. If he stays healthy and does what he does (defend, rebound, finish at the rim) and manages to avoid his most obvious flaws (off-court distractions, frustration with teammates, clashing with the coaching staff, playing with less than 100 percent commitment), the Lakers will be darn near impossible to beat.

If not, Oakley will have a whole box of new ammunition.

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Mike Trudell:

Quote:
Many Lakers expected around the team's facility on Sept. 1. RT @Jmeeks20: 1 more wk left then heading to West Coast!

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/239883417922195456
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Oh boy, another player with the "Lakers look good on paper" comment.. How dare he?!!!!! .. Moving on.. can we please stop posting these threads? I mean WE LOOK GOOD ON PAPER!! IT's TRUE!!!!

Phew... moving
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject:

So Durant is afraid of the Lakers?
LakerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject:

So Kobe was excited about Dwight! I knew he was lying to the media whenever they asked him late June/early July what he thought about Howard coming to LA, especially after he gave that smile.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject:

well Durant looks like he's made of paper
8>24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers win it this year going through OKC and Miami, this will be one of the most impressive championships in recent memory.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject:

^Two epic back-to-back avatars

!...
lackor555
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
well Durant looks like he's made of paper
LOL
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I like Durant. No crying, no whining about how we're big market. Just accepted it and I like the way he puts it, that it's in our DNA to make these moves.
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject:

We've certainly won the MITOP award. (Most Impressive Team On Paper)

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pau Gasol: 'Playing together' dictates Lakers' championship hopes

With the starting lineup the Lakers have accumulated, it’s a hard task to dissect any significant weaknesses.

Long ago the lightning rod for criticism, the Lakers’ point guard spot suddenly becomes dangerous with Steve Nash directing the offense. Kobe Bryant’s prolific scoring will become more efficient now that he’ll relieve ball handling duties. Dwight Howard remains the league’s top center both in scoring on the low block and denying looks inside. He has a trusty sidekick in Pau Gasol to facilitate and complement his post presence. And even if it’s questionable he’ll cash in on the numerous open three-pointers, Metta World Peace is expected to enter the season in stronger shape to defend an opposing team’s top players.

Still, the Lakers can’t just expect to roll out the basketball and assume everything will flourish.

“It’s going to be playing together and understanding some nights will go more toward one player, attacking matchups and reading the game,” Gasol said. “We need to feel the game and feed whoever is hotter that particular day. At the same time, we need to keep the mind set that it’s all about winning. It’s not about who plays better or who plays worse. It’s about team effort and getting closer to our goal and getting stronger as the season goes along. As long as we understand that as a team, things will work out.”

Gasol spoke recently to The Times from the African nation of Chad where’s he’s spending this week in the Sahel region as a UNICEFambassador. Considering he’s helping with vaccinationand feeding efforts to the poverty-stricken area, Gasol has more significant issues to ponder than how the Lakers offense will look like.

Still, the issue at times became a point of contention last season when Gasol often felt restricted as a facilitator. His 17.4 points on 50.1% shooting ranked 17th among forwards, but reflected a relatively reduced role than in seasons past. He suddenly became the third option behind Bryant and Andrew Bynumand found most of his scoring opportunities off mid-range jumpers and putbacks instead of in the post.

The Lakers will look different this season.

Gasol won’t have to ponder ongoing trade speculation. The Lakers will also run the Princeton offense, a system based on frequent cuts, passing and spacing. They’ll also highly depend on Nash’s pick-and-roll skills. Both areas better suit Gasol’s game, but he acknowledged his uncertainty on how his role will evolve.

“I’m not sure exactly how it’s going to work,” Gasol said. “Obviously I like to be involved and have a chance to be aggressive and create not just for myself, but for others. We all know how comfortable and dangerous we can be when we’re working from the post and other areas. It’ll be getting a feel of what works best for the team and understanding each other’s role and go on from there.”

Regardless, Gasol will likely have added responsibilities at least at the beginning of the season. Howard acknowledged at his introductory press conference two weeks ago that he could miss the season opener Oct. 30 against Dallas and beyond. Such an absence would likely thrust Gasol into the center position, while either Jordan Hill or Antawn Jamison would play at power forward.

Either way, Gasol’s used to starting the season with a heavy load. Gasol played at center for the first 24 games of the 2010-11 season, while Bynum rehabbed from offseason knee surgery. Gasol also started the first five games last season at center while Bynum served a suspension for clotheslining former Dallas guard J.J. Barea in the 2011 playoffs.

Can Gasol absorb heavier minutes after leading Spain to a silver medal in the 2012 London Olympics?

“My body feels good,” he said. “I’m recovering from the national team’s effort and the Olympics.”

Soon enough, that recovery period will stop. Gasol maintains he’s ready for it.

“I look forward to the day we get to start and working in training camp,” he said. “We have a normal season again after the lockout season. Obviously I think we have tremendous players and the goal is going to be winning. Nothing but winning a championship again is what’s going to be on our minds from Day 1.”

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pau Gasol passionate about UNICEF ambassador role

Hunched down on the ground, Pau Gasol leaned over and extended his hand.

In most circumstances, the Lakers forward does that to shoot a mid-range jumper, operate in the low post, dish off a nifty assist or block a shot. But Gasol’s versatility goes beyond his basketball skills. In this case, a two-year-old girl named Fatime clutched Gasol’s hand on Saturday while lying on a blanket with her older brother and mom at a hospital in Mao, a city in the African nation of Chad.

The boy represents a fraction of a sobering statistic. UNICEF officials said at least 1.1 million children in the Sahel region need treatment for severe acute malnutrition. The United Nations also estimated 18 million people are affected by a drought and food crisis in the nine countries surrounding that area. In what will mark his fourth trip as a UNICEF ambassador, Gasol will travel from village to village in Chad viewing and assisting feeding efforts in hopes of reducing those numbers. No matter how small.

“It’s important to know and have a chance to experience it and get knowledge so we can actually understand things better,” Gasol said in a phone interview with The Times. “When I go on these trips, I then have a better and more real opinion about it. It then creates more attention and brings more people to collaborate to help what’s going on here.”

UNICEF has devoted $238 million in resources in fightingmalnourishment in the Sahel region, providing more educational opportunities to dissuade children from joining rebel groups in Mali and mitigating cholera outbreaks. The organization says it has also secured $93 million for emergency response efforts. But as Gasol observed since joining the organization in 2003, the impact goes beyond money and numbers.

It also involves people.

Since arriving in Chad last Thursday, Gasol’s jumped from city to city eager to help. In N’Djamena, Gasol hosted a basketball clinic that he said featured bent rims, no nets and partially inflated balls. He made stops in Mao, Kanem and Miouh over the weekend to help set up food, water and sanitation stations. On Sunday afternoon, Gasol went to Wadi to help citizens there grow their own food.

“Chad is in an emergency situation and is going through an attrition crisis because of drugs, bad climate and a bad harvest,” Gasol said. “But it’s very encouraging with the work UNICEF’s doing. I’m happy to be here to witness it.”

Other images struck Gasol when he traveled to South Africa (2005), Angola (2007) and Ethiopia (2010).

Gasol saw children in South Africa walking countless miles from their home just to attend school. With UNICEF estimating that 5.6 million people there have HIV, Gasol also helped distribute medicine in hopes of eradicating the virus.

Gasol also helped with HIV relief efforts in Angola, but noticed the “virusdidn’t spread out as much” as it has in South Africa. Based on what UNICEF officials told Gasol, he said the 27-year-old civil war that ended in 2002 contributed to disjointed villages. This contributed to the virus affecting only 2% of the Angolan population. Still, Gasol encountered additional challenges in mitigating the HIV epidemic once Angola fully recovers from war. Even with citizens hugging him tightly as he entered a 3,000-person capacity gym in the city of Luanda, Gasol noticed some resisting his pleas to use birth control.

“Because of the culture, religion and traditions, some don’t believe in using that very often,” Gasol said. “Obviously you have to change certain things and certain behavior and that’s hard to change. But you have to let it be known so they can protect themselves and be aware of the importance of it.”

Gasol showed further involvement on his Ethiopian trip.

A documentary produced by Spanish television station la Sexta shows Gasol frequently interacting with Ethiopian children. He dipped his finger in special formula and fed it to a malnourished year-old baby without a mother. Gasol held up a cup full of water for another baby to drink out of while his mother held him. Gasol viewed UNICEF officials taking body measurements of malnourished children. He routinely picked up the kids in his arms. Gasol even danced with them.

Gasol also parlayed that trip into what he calls “Pau’s project.” UNICEF said the 2-year-old initiative has rebuilt 80 schools for 12,000 children, equipped 21 education centers, trained 160 teachers and distributed various school supplies.

UNICEF officials tout Gasol's history as a medical student at the University of Barcelona and enthusiasm as a perfect fit for the organization's cause.

“What really stands out is how seriously Pau takes his commitment as an ambassador,” said Paloma Escudero, the UNICEF executive director for the Spanish National Committee. “He’s a person who receives very thorough training. When he’s at briefings, he’s already prepared. He really goes to the papers and reads everything. It’s really something he believes he’s doing. He likes to travel because he feels he can be the voice of many kids who have no voice.”

Gasol’s shown that commitment beyond traveling to countries in need. He participated in El Rey Theater’s “Play List With the A-List,” in which celebrities sang karaoke to raise funds for UNICEF. Gasol sang the Fray's "How to Save a Life." Gasol also released an iBook this year in three different languages, with all proceeds benefiting UNICEF. Those efforts, along with his frequent visits to Los Angeles Children's Hospital, earned Gasol the NBA's J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship award.

Yet, when he won that honor last season during the NBA playoffs, Gasol acknowledged uncertainty on whether he’d have enough energy to make a UNICEF trip after the 2012 Olympics. Once the Games ended on Aug. 12, however, Gasol said he told UNICEF officials, “You can count on me.”

“I wanted to collaborate with an organization that would allow me to have a big impact and draw people together and make a difference beyond myself,” Gasol said. ”That fulfillment made me feel very special and very lucky.”

That young girl also must have felt lucky as Gasol reached out to his large hand to help him.

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Metta World Peace, Chamique Holdsclaw share common bond

Once the applause calmed down, Metta World Peace cut through the crowd of onlookers.

The eccentric Lakers forward wanted to talk to former WNBA star Chamique Holdsclaw. The two had just shared the stage Wednesday at the Voice Awards at Paramount Studios, where both talked about how they overcame mental health issues. But their bond went beyond addressing a cause they hold dear to them on behalf of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

The two grew up together in the projects in Queensbridge, N.Y., and wanted to catch up. So among plenty of mental health experts and fans sharing well wishes, World Peace and Holdsclaw shared new phone numbers, rekindled old memories and then hugged goodbye.

As he took the lectern to accept an award in honor of his numerous work with mental health organizations, it's hardly a coincidence World Peace singled out his childhood friend.

"I definitely want to say how much I love Chamique Holdsclaw," he said.

Link to full article
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
How Kobe can create without the ball

We know there will be oodles of talent, but what exactly will the Lakers' new offense look like?

Los Angeles has offered some clues by hiring Eddie Jordan, an assistant coach who will bring with him the Princeton offense, and by publicly stating that Steve Nash will have license to control the offense as he sees fit.

But the real question is, how will Kobe Bryant fit into all of this? For the past decade, Bryant has been both the primary creator and finisher in L.A. Now he'll be playing with the two players who have been about the best on-ball creator (Nash) and finisher (Dwight Howard) in recent NBA history.

One projection is that Bryant will essentially play as he always has, with plenty of planned and improvised isolations. However, the more tantalizing vision involves Bryant in combination with his talented teammates, even when he's not initiating the action.

At HoopsWorld, Anthony Macri offers some insight into how Bryant, even if he isn't handling the ball as much, can still create for others and find opportunities for himself to finish.

Given Nash’s strengths in combination with Los Angeles’ two bigs, Bryant would best be utilized as the end of misdirection. Bryant, stationed on the weak side of the floor, becoming an off-ball screener for the two bigs.

A very difficult combination for any team to guard would involve Bryant screening for Howard, who sprints to set a ball screen for Nash. Simultaneously, (Pau) Gasol screens down for Bryant as Nash comes off the screen. This multiple option screen-the-screener dynamic will force teams to hedge, recover, and generally distorts defenses. On any pass to Bryant, he will have an ideal opportunity to attack a closeout.

Passes to Howard rolling or Gasol spacing will also yield ideal recovery or closeout opportunities. Finally, the various moving pieces will prevent teams from helping on Nash’s penetration, which will lead to many clear forays into the lane.

With so many talented players surrounding him and a point guard capable of exploiting any advantage, Bryant's usefulness as a decoy will be at an all-time high. But only if he embraces that role. We should expect Bryant's shot total to decrease a bit next season (he led the NBA in field goal attempts last season), but that hardly means his impact on offense must also diminish.

Think back to Russell Westbrook's play in the Western Conference finals. Like Bryant, Westbrook is a scorer who shoots a ton. In six games against San Antonio, he averaged 38 percent shooting on 18.5 attempts. But he managed to be a major part of the Thunder's best moments on offense without even touching the ball.

Remember the great play for Kevin Durant that the Thunder would run in the fourth quarter when they needed a bucket? It was Westbrook who crashed down from the top of the key to land a punishing screen on Durant's defender, repeatedly creating crucial scoring opportunities for his team. Whenever his defender stepped up to help on Durant, Westbrook would slip back door for a layup.

LeBron James and Dirk Nowitzki are also examples of top scorers who set fantastic screens as regular parts of their teams' offenses.

Bryant can put similar pressure on the defense by using his strength and wiles to send opponents scrambling before he even touches the ball. And when he receives the rock, immediately attacking against an unprepared defense could help him bounce back from the worst shooting season of his career (by True Shooting Percentage, a metric that incorporates 3-pointers and free throws).

But jogging through screens to get the ball, then holding and setting up for a straight isolation attempt? That's the kind of play that could prevent the Lakers from harnessing all that "on paper" talent.

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers to unveil Kareem Abdul-Jabbar statue in upcoming season

The Lakers are to unveil a statue featuring Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at some point during the 2012-13 season, The Times has learned.

A firm date for introducing the statue outside Staples Center hasn't been finalized.

Abdul-Jabbar remains the NBA's all-time leading scorer (38,387 points). He won five of his six NBA titles and three of his six league MVPs with the Lakers. His high scoring rate and mastery of his famed skyhook established him, in the opinion of many, as the best center of all time.

The Lakers have previously indicated they would unveil a statue of Abdul-Jabbar at some point, after honoring Magic Johnson, Chick Hearn and Jerry West on Star Plaza at Staples Center.

But Abdul-Jabbar publicly criticized the Lakers last year, believing the failure to erect a statue of him sooner was a show of disrespect. Similarly, he lamented the Lakers not awarding him playoff shares, and pointed to his reduced role and pay as a special assistant coach for Andrew Bynum from 2005 to 2009. He also mentioned how he often had to sit on the back of the plane on team trips.

The Lakers have maintained there's no set criteria on determining the order of statue inductions, and the other statues associated with the team also have extensive resumes behind them.

Johnson brought Showtime to the Lakers along with five NBA championships, until recently had an ownership stake and played a part in Staples Center getting built in 1999.

Hearn was considered the game's best broadcaster because of his catchy word play and storytelling.

West finished as the Lakers' second-all-time-leading scorer and led the Lakers' to their first title in Los Angeles in 1972, only to top that by winning seven NBA championship as the team's general manager from 1982 to 2000.

The team also says AEG, which owns Staples Center, plays a larger role in determining who is honored with a statue at the venue (others include Oscar De La Hoya and Wayne Gretzky) and when it is done.

On the other issues, the Lakers have attributed Abdul-Jabbar's reduced pay and role to Bynum's belief that he didn't need as much personal instruction.

Team officials also have noted that they give autonomy to head coaches in hiring their own assistants, and that players allocate playoff shares at their own discretion.

In an interview with The Times two years ago, Lakers executive vice president Jeanie Buss indicated that honoring Abdul-Jabbar next with a statue would be a "natural fit."

Said Buss: "Certainly Kareem stands among some of the greatest of all time."

LINK
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Pau is a really good dude. He's not out there spending his whole summer promoting his brand...or perhaps that's what he's doing, after all. Just that his brand is more admirable than that of other stars.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Q&A: Pau on charitable efforts, Olympics, Dwight and more

The term "offseason" seems like a bit of a farce when you consider what forward Pau Gasol has been up to since the Lakers were eliminated from the playoffs in May. From visiting hospitals in L.A., to adding another silver medal to his collection in London, to continuing his charitable work with UNICEF, Gasol has been a busy man.

Gasol checked in with ESPNLosAngeles.com from the nation of Chad, where he is visiting in his role as UNICEF Spain Ambassador. Gasol hopes his trip will help bring awareness to the nutritional crisis going on in the Sahel belt, a region that spans across Africa from the Atlantic Ocean to the Red Sea. In Chad alone, UNICEF estimates that more than 127,000 children are at serious risk of malnutrition because of severe drought.

Link to full article
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LAL Player Tracker: Aug. 27

The opening preseason contest for the Lakers, on Oct. 7 vs. Golden State in Fresno, is now a mere 41 days away, meaning the number of players at the Lakers facility will continue to climb.

According to the team’s strength and conditioning coach, Tim DiFrancisco, the following Lakers have been regulars at the practice facility of late: Devin Ebanks; Andrew Goudelock; Jordan Hill; Darius Morris; and Metta World Peace.

DiFrancisco expects newcomers Antawn Jamison, Chris Duhon and Jodie Meeks in the weight room and on the court after Labor Day.

As for the two incoming All-Stars acquired in summer trades?

Steve Nash is expected to be in Los Angeles in mid-September, and plans on working out at the team’s facility.

Dwight Howard is currently doing his therapy/rehabilitation from back surgery at a facility in the Westwood/Century City area of L.A. At some point, he will transition over to working with Lakers head athletic trainer Gary Vitti, the team’s head physical therapist Dr. Judy Seto and the rest of Vitti’s staff (a time has not yet been set). Lakers spokesman John Black said Howard will not be doing any basketball/weight workouts until he’s cleared medically, and that there is no target date for any of that at this point.

Pau Gasol* is expected to return to Los Angeles at the end of September, while Kobe Bryant is more than trusted by the team to make his own work out arrangements for the offseason prior to training camp.

*You can follow Gasol’s Twitter feed to find out where he is in a given week.

We’ll have more for you on the player front in the coming weeks as the Lakers ramp up for 2012-13.

LINK
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject:

MWP already working!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Five things Jodie Meeks needs for a successful season

This is the seventh post in a series focusing on five things each Lakers player must do to have a successful 2012-13 season.

1. Jodie Meeks needs to help decrease the minutes played by Kobe Bryant. Lakers Coach Mike Brown talked last year about wanting to limit Bryant to 33 to 35 minutes per game, but Bryant finished the season averaging 38.5 minutes per contest. Part of that reflected Brown's discomfort with the alternatives. Andrew Goudelock became a decent three-point shooter, but he lacked skills in running the offense and defending. The Lakers had talked about using Devin Ebanks there, but he lacked enough experience to earn the coaching staff's trust.

Meeks should provide a more formidable option because of his strong outside shooting and previous experience at playing backup shooting guard. Meeks' responsibility pales in comparison to others in the Lakers' star-studded lineup, but he could drastically affect how much Bryant will rest during the regular season. Considering the worries about Bryant's basketball mileage, the Lakers can't afford to risk this season needlessly testing his threshold for pain and playing time.

2. Meeks needs to significantly improve the Lakers' outside shooting. Meeks' role will increase if he taps into one of the Lakers' biggest weaknesses last season. The Lakers shot only 39.5% from the field in 2011-12, which ranked 25th in the league. That number dropped to a 30% clip during the postseason, putting them in 11th place out of the 16 playoff teams. Meanwhile, the 6-foot-4 Meeks averaged a career-high 37% from three-point range in the last two years.

Meeks may not receive the same amount of attempts he did with Philadelphia because of the talent level. That could make it harder to establish a routine. Regardless, Meeks has to space himself properly so he is spotting up with consistent rhythm.

3. Meeks needs to vary how he scores. After shooting nearly 40% from three-point range during the first half of the season, Meeks barely cracked 31% during the second half. Should such shooting struggles emerge this season, it's imperative Meeks finds other ways to score. He'll need to attack the basket so that he can capitalize on his strong marks at the free-throw line (a career 88.4% shooter). Meeks will need to get others involved so the ball movement stays crisp. Even if he finds himself open on the perimeter, it wouldn't hurt to step in a few extra feet so he can rebuild his rhythm.

4. Meeks' defense must continue to improve. The Lakers have a strong insurance policy with Dwight Howard protecting the rim. Still, the Lakers are in dire need of backcourt defensive help because of Steve Nash's age and the need to conserve Bryant's energy. That's why it's imperative Meeks improves his defense. Synergy Sports Technology reveals he's a better defender than meets the eye. He still struggles stopping players in one-on-one situations, but he's decent enough at defending against pick-and-rolls, off screens and jump shooters. Meeks' work on defense could further cement his value.

5. Meeks should continue having a positive attitude. Despite Meeks' inconsistency, Sixers Coach Doug Collins continuously praised Meeks for his work ethic and amiable personality. Should he encounter any problems, Meeks' attitude would go a long way in ingratiating himself with the team. Bryant has taken a liking to his previous backup shooting guards in Trevor Ariza, Shannon Brown and Goudelock because of their work ethic. Should Meeks maintain that, it's probable Bryant would take him under his wing and teach him. It will also increase the likelihood that Brown would stay patient with him.

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject:

This is article is dated 8/24 but I haven't seen it before so I will post it in todays news.

Quote:
Memphis Grizzlies fan vs. Kobe Bryant quietly settles before trial

On the night of Nov. 14, 2005, Memphis Grizzlies fans went home happy with the team's 85-73 win over the Los Angeles Lakers at FedExForum.

One of those fans, Bill Geeslin, an insurance agent from Blytheville, Ark., also went home with a bruised lung cavity that he said was caused when Lakers star Kobe Bryant forearmed him in the chest.

Bryant was running for a loose ball and his momentum carried him into Geeslin, who was seated courtside near the basket, according to his long-standing federal suit that was settled Friday.

"I recall a fast-paced incident seeing him come to me, running into me and then forearming me," Geeslin said in a 2008 deposition. "He intentionally forearmed me in the chest. He did not apologize. He walked away and pushed – he kind of pushed his arm toward me and glared at me and walked away."

He surmised that Bryant was angry that his team was losing or that the referee called no foul on the Grizzlies.

Geeslin, then 49, died two months after his 2008 deposition, but his estate is continuing with the suit with his mother, Betty Geeslin, substituted as the plaintiff.

There is no allegation that the contact with Bryant caused his death, but Geeslin previously said he felt like "a human punching bag" and filed suit because he felt violated and that Bryant should not be able to "inject such pain."

He was diagnosed with a bruised lung cavity, was given Ibuprofen and another medicine and a breathing machine to be used at home. Geeslin's symptoms went away after two weeks, according to court papers, but he suffered anxiety and was given sleep aids by his doctor.

Bryant, through his attorneys, acknowledged he landed in the spectator section at one point during the game, but denied Geeslin's allegations of assault and battery and outrageous conduct.

The suit, which asked for unspecified damages exceeding $75,000, was dismissed in 2010 by U.S. Dist. Judge S. Thomas Anderson, who said a spectator assumes a risk when attending a game and that the contact Bryant made with Geeslin was not offensive.

"Here, the defendant pushed plaintiff in the chest before returning to the game," Anderson wrote. "There can be no reasonable infringement of one's personal dignity from contact arising from the retrieval of a basketball under these facts."

Last December, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit agreed there were no grounds for Geeslin's claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress, but sent the case back to the trial court on his assault and battery claims.

"Although (Anderson) found that Geeslin had 'assumed the risk or consented to the entire contact between he and the defendant' by virtue of taking a courtside seat," the appellate judges said, "we find that the analysis applies only to the initial contact between Geeslin and Bryant and not the secondary, offensive contact described by Geeslin."

The three-judge panel also noted that Bryant offered neither a deposition nor an affidavit in opposition.

With jury selection scheduled to start here Monday, the case quietly ended Friday afternoon with a confidential settlement. Attorneys declined comment.

LINK
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
This is article is dated 8/24 but I haven't seen it before so I will post it in todays news.

Quote:
Memphis Grizzlies fan vs. Kobe Bryant quietly settles before trial

On the night of Nov. 14, 2005, Memphis Grizzlies fans went home happy with the team's 85-73 win over the Los Angeles Lakers at FedExForum.

One of those fans, Bill Geeslin, an insurance agent from Blytheville, Ark., also went home with a bruised lung cavity that he said was caused when Lakers star Kobe Bryant forearmed him in the chest.

Bryant was running for a loose ball and his momentum carried him into Geeslin, who was seated courtside near the basket, according to his long-standing federal suit that was settled Friday.

"I recall a fast-paced incident seeing him come to me, running into me and then forearming me," Geeslin said in a 2008 deposition. "He intentionally forearmed me in the chest. He did not apologize. He walked away and pushed – he kind of pushed his arm toward me and glared at me and walked away."

He surmised that Bryant was angry that his team was losing or that the referee called no foul on the Grizzlies.

Geeslin, then 49, died two months after his 2008 deposition, but his estate is continuing with the suit with his mother, Betty Geeslin, substituted as the plaintiff.

There is no allegation that the contact with Bryant caused his death, but Geeslin previously said he felt like "a human punching bag" and filed suit because he felt violated and that Bryant should not be able to "inject such pain."

He was diagnosed with a bruised lung cavity, was given Ibuprofen and another medicine and a breathing machine to be used at home. Geeslin's symptoms went away after two weeks, according to court papers, but he suffered anxiety and was given sleep aids by his doctor.

Bryant, through his attorneys, acknowledged he landed in the spectator section at one point during the game, but denied Geeslin's allegations of assault and battery and outrageous conduct.

The suit, which asked for unspecified damages exceeding $75,000, was dismissed in 2010 by U.S. Dist. Judge S. Thomas Anderson, who said a spectator assumes a risk when attending a game and that the contact Bryant made with Geeslin was not offensive.

"Here, the defendant pushed plaintiff in the chest before returning to the game," Anderson wrote. "There can be no reasonable infringement of one's personal dignity from contact arising from the retrieval of a basketball under these facts."

Last December, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit agreed there were no grounds for Geeslin's claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress, but sent the case back to the trial court on his assault and battery claims.

"Although (Anderson) found that Geeslin had 'assumed the risk or consented to the entire contact between he and the defendant' by virtue of taking a courtside seat," the appellate judges said, "we find that the analysis applies only to the initial contact between Geeslin and Bryant and not the secondary, offensive contact described by Geeslin."

The three-judge panel also noted that Bryant offered neither a deposition nor an affidavit in opposition.

With jury selection scheduled to start here Monday, the case quietly ended Friday afternoon with a confidential settlement. Attorneys declined comment.

LINK

Man some people are just so greedy!!! The lenghts they will go for money.. I bet the min Kobe fell on him he was already planning his lawsuit.. and the Mother continues it, even though the son is dead!!! yep, Karma is a B****
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject:

For all the bashers of Metta, I think it speaks ALLOT that hes already in camp training. This guy could easily be the X factor to our season. Dont underestimate Metta!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: