League Pass to watch all Laker games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PauXXL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I called Direct TV and they told me that even if you purchase the NBA League Pass, you will not have access to Laker games in Los Angeles. They also told me that there have been no talks with Time Warner (although there probably have been behind closed doors).
The worst part of this is that I live in Burbank, Ca, and Time Warner doesnt service this area, so as of right now Im Sh*t out of luck.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject:

PauXXL wrote:
. . . Direct TV . . . told me that there have been no talks with Time Warner. . .

I've found that most, if not all, the CSRs at Directv know nothing. I'm sure that there have been on-going negotiations and they will probably ramp up at the end of this month and again just before the regular season if no deal has been reached before then.
42lakers42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject:

All laker games in the Lakers area will be blacked out on NBA league pass!
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Anyone get League Pass broadband and do the Roku thing with it?
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know the the quality of the DVR functionality on League Pass broadband? I live in the Bay Area, have NBA TV, and a PC hooked up to my HDTV. So broadband might be a good option for me. However, I would like to know how long the games are stored for before they "disappear"?

Work keeps me from watching games sometimes and the DVR is my only option other than downloading illegally.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject:

btw, got an email yesterday that League Pass is now on sale for this season.

http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/?nba_13_LPEB_email_091212
wjot1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject:

Guys,
1. Where I can watch preseason games if I'm from Europe? (League Pass?)

2.Do you know anything about League Pass that allows to watch only LAKERS games which should be cheaper?
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:

WHAT? Someone tell me you joking? All Lakers games in LA will be blackout? OMG, i just purchase NBA league pass!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooo!!! SOmeone tell me its not so, because am about to cancel RIGHT AWAY!!!!!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
WHAT? Someone tell me you joking? All Lakers games in LA will be blackout? OMG, i just purchase NBA league pass!!!!!!!! Nooooooooooo!!! SOmeone tell me its not so, because am about to cancel RIGHT AWAY!!!!!

You should cancel it before cancelling is no longer possible, because yes, if you live in the LA market area, it will be blacked out.

wjot1 wrote:
Guys,
1. Where I can watch preseason games if I'm from Europe? (League Pass?)

2.Do you know anything about League Pass that allows to watch only LAKERS games which should be cheaper?

http://www.oleoletv.com/
BUT note that the games will only show up when they are airing or are about to air. You won't see a link to a game for tomorrow (hypothetically) now, you have to wait until tomorrow until the game starts to find a link. Expect ~480p quality.
Hurrikanesensei
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject:

I already have the NFL Sundat Ticket With DirecTV. League Pass may be a bit too much. Still debating.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject:

If you live in the LA market area, the only reason you would get league pass is if you want to watch out of market NBA teams....buying league pass won't get you the Laker games because the regional rights are held by your local regional sports network unless the game is being televised nationally by TNT/ESPN/ABC. In previous years, the RSN was Prime Ticket, now since Time Warner Cable holds the rights you have to find a provider that carries them or you are out of luck.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject:

PauXXL wrote:
I called Direct TV and they told me that even if you purchase the NBA League Pass, you will not have access to Laker games in Los Angeles. They also told me that there have been no talks with Time Warner (although there probably have been behind closed doors).
The worst part of this is that I live in Burbank, Ca, and Time Warner doesnt service this area, so as of right now Im Sh*t out of luck.

It the Time Warner channel, not the provider....It doesn't matter if they service your area or not, Directv has to decide if there is enough demand on their system to carry the channel. Considering this is the LA area, I would assume, they would have a strong fanbase of Laker fans demanding this channel. I'm sure the setback is how much Time Warner is asking Directv for carriage fees, which means that the prices will be passed along to the customer.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:

I use http://www.rojadirecta.me/

It's hit or miss but usually pretty good.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:

i always thought Home team games are always blacked out
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject:

Can anyone tell me who has league pass in the past streaming onto the CPU.
If the Stream is any good?
I can't get anything on Cable, but I can on the CPU. Is it worth the money to get the broadband league pass?
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject:

I have had league pass in the past and i live in canada. IF you live in LA all games will be blacked out while if you live anywhere else, only nationalized games like the ones on TNT,ABC,ESPN are blacked out. Hopefully its still like that this season with the new time warner channel and all. Still its very good quality and worth it. Just catch the other games on free streams.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Floyd24NDLAL wrote:
Can anyone tell me who has league pass in the past streaming onto the CPU.
If the Stream is any good?
I can't get anything on Cable, but I can on the CPU. Is it worth the money to get the broadband league pass?

If you are out of the LA market, and you have a fast internet connection with a decent monitor, and you are willing to pay > $120, then yes, it isn't a bad deal if you value watching games. The quality is 720 p, which is great IF you have a fast connection (system requirements below for optimal viewing). Keep in mind that big/important games will more than likely be blacked out because they will be shown on TNT, ABC, ESPN etc. For these games, you can watch them in lower quality on streaming websites such as firstrowsports.eu if you don't have cable or basic channels (ex. for ABC for the Christmas game).

League pass broadband will also enable you to use a DVR, which is important for folks like me who have to record games for later viewing due to work. However, I do not know the quality of the DVR, or how long the DVR will save recorded games for later viewing. If anyone knows this info, I would be appreciative.

System requirements:
Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.4 (Intel) and above.
Browser: Internet Explorer 8.0 and above, Mozilla Firefox 3.0 and above, Google Chrome and Safari 4.0 and above.
Hardware: Windows – 3GHz Intel Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor, 128MB of RAM, 64MB of graphics memory. Mac OS – 1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo processor, 256MB of RAM, 64MB of graphics memory. Internet: Constant connection speed of 1MB or higher for single game view; 2.5MB or higher for mosaic view; 3.5MB or higher for 720p streaming.

DO NOT BUY LEAGUE PASS IF YOU LIVE IN THE LA AREA.

Last edited by Lakersneuron on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject:

dj1337 wrote:
I have had league pass in the past and i live in canada. IF you live in LA all games will be blacked out while if you live anywhere else, only nationalized games like the ones on TNT,ABC,ESPN are blacked out. Hopefully its still like that this season with the new time warner channel and all. Still its very good quality and worth it. Just catch the other games on free streams.

Ok, si o don't live in LA area, I should be find right? Am in DC so i guess no worries as far as the LA home games are concerned? Phew, need to know this... Am going to the Lakers game when they come to DC so no worries baout that being blacked out..
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject:

^ if you live in DC, you should be fine. National games will be blacked out, so you can stream them or torrent them, or if you have basic cable, watch on ESPN, TNT, or ABC depending on the game.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
^ if you live in DC, you should be fine. National games will be blacked out, so you can stream them or torrent them, or if you have basic cable, watch on ESPN, TNT, or ABC depending on the game.

Thank you!!! Phew.. haven't gotten LP in over 3 years, i finally did thhis year...
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sorry to say.....

42lakers42 wrote:
If you live in the Lakers area from san diego to bakersfield to Vegas the Lakers will be blacked out on NBA league pass!

I'm in san diego and had league pass a few years ago. I was only blacked out for the home games because fox sports west carried them in san diego. All road games were available on league pass in san diego because Lakers road games were not available in the san diego market. Not sure what will change with the new deal.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject:

Will it work if you are living in so cal. Or will league pass block out our games?
rocko
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:

does anyone know if the lakers pre game and post game tv shows will still be aired on fox sports west?
dthai17
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject:

you would somehow have to fake that you live in a different area if you want to get the laker games in socal on league pass.

but honestly, Direct tv and others will get the laker games. Its really just too much money they'll be losing on by not showing the games. Worst case scenario you'll miss all preseason and a couple of reg season games. most likely scenario will be one or two missed preseason games.
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:

NBA rules use 'neilsen market area' to determine broadcast zones. I suggest you use this tool to determine your television market area:

http://www.zipdatamaps.com/

Enter your zip code and hit 'go'. If your 'neilsen market area' is Los Angeles, ALL lakers games will be blacked out on league pass.

But that's not all! We have to encompass the exceptions made by the NBA blackout rules:

Quote:
Games will also be blacked out when they are appearing on national television. This applies to games being televised on ABC, ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV. You may view these games simply by switching to the designated channel.

source: http://www.nba.com/nba_tv/blackouts.html

This means that even if you live in Montana, you will not be able to watch LAL games on League Pass if they are broadcast nationally.

So, great, how the hell do we know which LAL games are going to be televised nationally? We check the Lakers schedule and check for something in the "Nat TV" column:
Quote:

October:
Tue 30 Dallas TNT
Wed 31 Portland NBA TV

November:
Fri 02 LAC ESPN
Fri 30 Denver ESPN

December:
Sun 02 Orlando NBA TV
Fri 07 OKC ESPN
Thu 13 NYK TNT
Tue 25 NYK ABC

January:
Fri 04 LAC ESPN
Wed 09 SAS ESPN
Fri 11 OKC ESPN
Thur 17 MIA TNT
Mon 21 CHI TNT
Sun 27 OKC ABC
Wed 30 PHX ESPN

February:
Fri 01 MIN ESPN
Tur 07 BOS TNT
Sun 10 MIA ABC
Thur 14 LAC TNT
Wed 20 BOS ESPN
Sun 24 DAL ABC
Thur 28 MIN TNT

March:
Tue 05 OKC TNT
Sun 10 CHI ABC
Mon 25 GSW NBA TV

April:
Tue 02 DAL TNT
Fri 05 MEM ESPN
Sun 07 LAC ABC
Sun 14 SAS NBA TV

source: http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule
---

Huh. Thats a fair number of blacked out big ticket national games. Oh well, that's what we get for having such a mind-(bleepingly) SEXY team that everyone wants to watch. Or, more to the point, that people will endure a parade of intelligence-insultingly vapid commercials to watch. Whatever, you get the point. But lets do some math for kicks:

82 LAL games total; 29 blacked out national games.

Math...ummm...stuff...brain...thinking...

35.3% games blacked out. You are paying $120 to watch 53 games, or $2.20 per game* to watch the entirety of the non-nationally televised LAL season. Whether the economics, math, convenience, higher picture quality, etc all makes this a worthwhile buy is entirely up to you. I make no recommendations whatsoever.

*: assuming you do the one-time purchase and not the spread out option. The spread out option is about $150 or $3.00 per game (approximate) which obviously hurts a bit more

PS: I didn't post this for lakersground in general; I wanted to do these calculations myself in order to make an informed decision and thought "hell, might as well post it so other people can do the same".

PPS: There is always http://thefirstrow.eu if you don't mind the adware, malware, (bleepy) bitrate, (beeptarded) local commentators and general teeth-grinding annoyance. I watched the entire LAL season that way last year.

PPPS: A big shout out to my bro the LG auto-censor plugin, that (bleepingly) overzealous goat (bleeping) turdblossom has made an otherwise dull brain-shart of a post into a mildly entertaining read.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: