Lakers in the News 9/20/12: Where Howard Helps The Lakers The Most

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 9/20/12: Where Howard Helps The Lakers The Most

Quote:
NBA AM: Where Howard Helps The Lakers The Most

The Los Angeles Lakers are going to benefit from the addition of Dwight Howard in just about every area imaginable except for free throw shooting. He’s their next franchise player once Kobe Bryant retires, a dominating force on the boards and one of the most-intimidating defensive presences in the league. The latter is where he will help the most immediately; in an interview with ESPN Los Angeles’ Mason and Ireland, Lakers head coach Mike Brown went into detail of how so.

“He’s a great guy,” Brown said. “He’s obviously a big presence, but he’s extremely charismatic and he’s a very good guy. He’s a guy who wants to be liked and do the right thing. When you have guys like that it makes your job a lot easier. The thing that impresses me, and there are many things that impress me about him, but to have a guy like that who’s in his prime and has had the chance to get to the Finals, experience the Conference Finals and so on and so forth is invaluable.

“His athleticism combined with his power, strength, quickness and energy is phenomenal. Defensively here’s a guy in my opinion is one of the best pick-and-roll big defenders in the game, to ever play the game. He’s one of the best paint protectors to ever play the game. Just knowing that he’s down there around the basket is a deterrent. Then offensively you combine all those things I talked about and you have an explosive scorer. There’s a lot that he’s going to bring to us on both ends of the floor, but for me I’m extremely excited to watch him play pick-and-roll defense and defense coming from the weak side to help out from time to time. More than anything else I think my sons are excited about the lob dunks and all that stuff along with everyone else. But, I’m excited about those two things on that end of the floor more than anything else.”

On the opposite side of the court, for the first time since the earliest days in Howard’s career he’s going to see single coverage. In Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace and Steve Nash he’s playing with four guys who all would have been the best player he’d ever played with if they were with him in Orlando. While on the court with all of them at the same time, he’s going to be open like never before because teams can’t afford to double off of any of them.

“We think of that often as a staff when we’re talking about what we’re going to show and/or give to our team come training camp,” Brown said. “It’s almost not (possible) to think about double teaming, you just have to have a heightened sense of awareness if or when you decide to double team us because we do feel like we have guys who can make you pay at all five positions. So, I think it’ll be different from team to team and even from situation to situation. Having the luxury of guys who are capable scorers from all over the floor is something I’m definitely looking forward to and probably 29 teams aren’t.”

Even with the significant improvements the Lakers have made from last year’s teams, Brown is quick to point out that his expectations are the same now that they were when he first took the job.

“My expectations aren’t going to be any different than what they were last year,” Brown said. “Last year I expected us to compete for a championship. Obviously we fell short. On paper we didn’t have the same team that we have now but my expectations haven’t changed. That’s for me, the beauty of being able to work for the Los Angeles Lakers is the fact that Dr. Buss, Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak, starting with them their expectations are there. The fans expectations are there. That’s why they try year after year to bring in the talent they brought in this summer. For me nothing has changed. We’re going into this season with the same goal in mind, knowing we have to work extremely hard to get it done.

“It’s not just going to happen. The Lakers have done something similar to this a few years back when they brought in Gary Payton and Karl Malone. Those two guys were in the tail end of their career, but they still had two guys in Shaq (O’Neal) and Kobe, who were in their prime and big time, and they had some nice pieces around them. We have to be lucky, play the right way. If we do that and respect the process then we’ll have a great shot at it. We know it has to go through the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami HEAT because they were the Western conference and NBA champions respectively.”

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Who will it be for AEG?

The surprise announcement that billionaire Philip Anschutz is putting his sports and entertainment empire up for sale sent potential buyers scrambling to launch bids that insiders say could reach $7 billion or more.

The big question on everyone's mind: Who can pony up enough cash to buy such marquee properties as Staples Center, L.A. Live and the Los Angeles Kings?

A likely scenario is a group of investors similar to the consortium that bought the Dodgers — deep-pocketed private equity firms combined with sports and entertainment experts and a celebrity frontman. Los Angeles billionaire Patrick Soon-Shiong has already expressed interest, and well-known names such as Mark Cuban and powerhouse Santa Monica investment firm Colony Capital are seen in the running.

Potential bidders are pining for what could be the biggest deal of its kind, and a chance to be the hero who brings pro football to L.A. after an 18-year drought.

"In the world of sports this might be the greatest crown jewel of them all," said John Cushman, chairman of real estate brokerage Cushman & Wakefield. "This is a huge deal for whoever wants to get into the game."

A "healthy number" of potential bidders already have expressed interest since the sale was announced Tuesday, including wealthy individuals, private equity firms, foreign-government investment funds and pension plans, said a person familiar with the matter.

AEG has indicated privately that it expects to sell for $5 billion to $7 billion, but no official price has been set. The company also holds a minority stake in the Los Angeles Lakers.

"This is your one chance to buy a piece of one of the most iconic franchises, the Lakers, to own the Stanley Cup champion Kings, the Galaxy with David Beckham," said Michael Rapkoch, president of Sports Value Consulting.

Link to Full Article
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard, Stan Van Gundy to help Florida public schools

Nearly six months after it appeared their relationship would be forever strained, Stan Van Gundy and Dwight Howard provided tangible proof it wouldn't.

The Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi reported that the former Magic coach sought out Howard for help in raising property taxes in Seminole County, Fla., to aid public schools.

"Dwight has pledged his support," Van Gundy said. "He's a resident of Seminole County, and he's keeping his house here. I think his history will show that he's had great concern for kids in the Central Florida community. With him still living here, we asked him to help and he didn't hesitate."

It'd be understandable if Howard didn't. Van Gundy told reporters at a morning shoot-around in March that the front office indicated Howard wanted him fired. Moments later, Howard entered the media scrum placing his arm around Van Gundy as a way to deflect varying reports that sugested the same thing. Unaware that Van Gundy unleashed that bombshell, the former Magic coach then left Howard by himself to address the revelations.

The two have maintained they've kept a strong relationship ever since their respectuve departures from the Magic organization. Van Gundy has publicly faulted Orlando's front office more than Howard than his departure. Howard has mostly declined to revisit what led eventually to his getting traded to the Lakers. When that happened, Howard recently told ESPN's Ric Bucher that Van Gundy sent him a text message wishing him luck.

"To this day, Stan and I talk and we have a relationship, and I'm happy about that," Howard said. "We have a mutual respect for each other. We had five great years together. It didn't end right and it didn't end well, but we've moved on and we're happy for each other."

LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Flying Turkish Airlines tonight. I'm heading to Istanbul to shoot a Turkish Airlines spot with Mr. Leo Messi!

https://www.facebook.com/Kobe
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Dwight Howard, Stan Van Gundy to help Florida public schools

Nearly six months after it appeared their relationship would be forever strained, Stan Van Gundy and Dwight Howard provided tangible proof it wouldn't.

The Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi reported that the former Magic coach sought out Howard for help in raising property taxes in Seminole County, Fla., to aid public schools.

"Dwight has pledged his support," Van Gundy said. "He's a resident of Seminole County, and he's keeping his house here. I think his history will show that he's had great concern for kids in the Central Florida community. With him still living here, we asked him to help and he didn't hesitate."

It'd be understandable if Howard didn't. Van Gundy told reporters at a morning shoot-around in March that the front office indicated Howard wanted him fired. Moments later, Howard entered the media scrum placing his arm around Van Gundy as a way to deflect varying reports that sugested the same thing. Unaware that Van Gundy unleashed that bombshell, the former Magic coach then left Howard by himself to address the revelations.

The two have maintained they've kept a strong relationship ever since their respectuve departures from the Magic organization. Van Gundy has publicly faulted Orlando's front office more than Howard than his departure. Howard has mostly declined to revisit what led eventually to his getting traded to the Lakers. When that happened, Howard recently told ESPN's Ric Bucher that Van Gundy sent him a text message wishing him luck.

"To this day, Stan and I talk and we have a relationship, and I'm happy about that," Howard said. "We have a mutual respect for each other. We had five great years together. It didn't end right and it didn't end well, but we've moved on and we're happy for each other."

LINK

One of the things I like about D12 is his charity work. He has basketball camps for kids, charity events etc. Community leader.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
L.A.'s Richest Man Interested in AEG

Patrick Soon-Shiong, the richest man in Los Angeles, has confirmed that he is interested in considering a play for live events company Anschutz Entertainment Group, which put itself up for sale earlier this week.

“Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is well aware of the fact that AEG is in play,” a spokesman for the drug industry executive said in a statement, according to Bloomberg News.

Expressing his respect for company founder Phil Anschutz and AEG CEO Tim Leiweke and their role in revitalizing downtown L.A., he added: "We clearly are interested exploring the opportunity to further this legacy."

Known as a sports fan, Soon-Shiong bought Earvin "Magic" Johnson’s 4.5 percent stake in the Lakers a couple of years ago.

The South Africa-born surgeon and medical researcher is chairman of the Chan Soon-Shiong Family Foundation and chairman and CEO of the Chan Soon-Shiong Institute for Advanced Health.

AEG, owned by Denver billionaire Anschutz, is the world’s second-largest concert promoter. Among other things, it holds a 30 percent stake in the Lakers, owns the Staples Center in L.A., the O2 arena in London, the Coachella music festival, Stanley Cup champions Los Angeles Kings and the L.A. Galaxy soccer franchise.

Soon-Shiong's net worth is estimated at about $10 billion, according to Bloomberg.

He was part of an unsuccessful group that bid for the Los Angeles Dodgers, which was led by hedge fund manager Steven Cohen.

LINK
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Flying Turkish Airlines tonight. I'm heading to Istanbul to shoot a Turkish Airlines spot with Mr. Leo Messi!

https://www.facebook.com/Kobe

Damn. I wanna fly to Istanbul for a couple days and hang with Messi and probably that Carl's Jr woman.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Metta World Peace won't hold anything back at comedy show

As he sat on the toilet, the ideas kept popping into Metta World Peace's head.

The eccentric Lakers forward says he has spent the past week preparing for his comedy act. And, well, what better way to maximize that time than when he's in the bathroom?

"That's where I get most of my ideas," World Peace said in a phone interview with The Times. "That's my alone time and that's when I figure out what I'm going to do."

So what, exactly, is World Peace going to do?

He's hosting "Comedy Slam Dunk" on Thursday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., a charity driven stand-up at the Laugh Factory where World Peace will introduce comedians, including Tom Arnold, Alex Scott, Malik S and Chris D'Elia. In between those acts, World Peace says he plans on delivering self-written material where he will tell gay and racist jokes, roast teammates and poke fun at himself.

"I'm stereotyping everybody," World Peace said. "It'll be fun. I'm throwing out random stereotypes. I just want to make people laugh and have fun. I'm definitely going to stereotype myself. I'm going to stereotype my bipolar tendencies. I want to stereotype that. I want the people to judge for themselves on whether I'm bipolar."

In other words, World Peace better hope NBA Commissioner David Stern isn't watching or that his material doesn't go instantly viral. The event won't be open to the media and the show is strictly forbidding camera use. But in the information age, you never know.

World Peace maintains he's not concerned about that or whether he's pushing the envelope too far. After all, the $30 tickets that can be purchased at ronartest.com will go toward a good cause. A portion of the proceeds benefit the Metta Center for Nonviolence (based in Berkeley) and World Peace's nonprofit Xcel University, which helps mental health charities.

"As reckless as I am, this stuff is really important," World Peace said. "Having it for a cause makes it more fun."

World Peace has already dabbled in stand-up comedy. He hosted a four-city comedy tour last year in Los Angeles, Orange County and New York City where he introduced acts and answered audience questions.

In the show I attended in Brea, World Peace's material involved telling X-rated jokes and poking fun at himself either through self-written material or answering fan questions. Although he's not taking fan questions in this show, World Peace still plans to take the same approach.

"If you can be funny without cursing, that's amazing," World Peace said. "But that's tough. Doing comedy is not an easy thing to do."

Yet, World Peace is willing to try, and he sounded more than eager in giving a sneak preview of one of his bits.

"I'm going to talk about some of the dreams that I have that I want to see happen at Staples Center," World Peace said. "One dream involves me being on the court in Staples Center. I'm not really participating in the game, but I'm on the court and throwing stuff and disrupting the game. I'm looking forward to telling that joke."

So what's the joke?

"You'll have to see," World Peace said with a slight laugh. "I can't tell you. It'll be fun. You have to enjoy it. I'm not as good as real comedians. But it's still cool to be able to tell jokes and have fun."

It also gives him something to pass the time when he's in the bathroom.

LINK
KobeBestEver
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LAL Podcast: SI’s Lee Jenkins

Sports Illustrated senior writer Lee Jenkins joined us via podcast to discuss some of the bigger picture story lines surrounding the Lakers since the summer (mega) additions of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard.

We debate how Howard’s personality will mix in with L.A.’s over-30 stars, go over what Nash’s team-building style does for a team, talk about how the new look Lakers match up with Oklahoma City and more.

To listen, click below:
LINK
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Podcast: I say it again: The Lakers will win 70 games

Been a long time since our last podcast, but one thing hasn’t changed: I am still of the opinion that the Lakers can win 70 games, and I’d take the Lakers over the Heat in the finals in a heartbeat.

LINK
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Patrick Soon-Shiong, the richest man in Los Angeles, has confirmed that he is interested in considering a play for live events company Anschutz Entertainment Group, which put itself up for sale earlier this week.

“Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong is well aware of the fact that AEG is in play,” a spokesman for the drug industry executive said in a statement, according to Bloomberg News.

Expressing his respect for company founder Phil Anschutz and AEG CEO Tim Leiweke and their role in revitalizing downtown L.A., he added: "We clearly are interested exploring the opportunity to further this legacy."

Known as a sports fan, Soon-Shiong bought Earvin "Magic" Johnson’s 4.5 percent stake in the Lakers a couple of years ago.

The South Africa-born surgeon and medical researcher is chairman of the Chan Soon-Shiong Family Foundation and chairman and CEO of the Chan Soon-Shiong Institute for Advanced Health.

AEG, owned by Denver billionaire Anschutz, is the world’s second-largest concert promoter. Among other things, it holds a 30 percent stake in the Lakers, owns the Staples Center in L.A., the O2 arena in London, the Coachella music festival, Stanley Cup champions Los Angeles Kings and the L.A. Galaxy soccer franchise.

Soon-Shiong's net worth is estimated at about $10 billion, according to Bloomberg.

He was part of an unsuccessful group that bid for the Los Angeles Dodgers, which was led by hedge fund manager Steven Cohen.

LINK

Dang, if he buys AEG, he would own 34.5% of the Lakers! Ideally, the Buss family buys it instead, but at least Soon-Shiong is a huge Lakers fan.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

LINK

Dang, if he buys AEG, he would own 34.5% of the Lakers! Ideally, the Buss family buys it instead, but at least Soon-Shiong is a huge Lakers fan.

I hope he's a Rams fan too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: