The Official Chris Douglas-Roberts Thread...SCORED 49 PTS IN D-LEAGUE GAME (Pg 25)!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malicious_intent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject:

according to draft express one of his strengths coming out of college was defense. he also had midrange jumpers as a weakness, so if this is true he has a pretty good work ethic. also, he shot around 32% in europe last year and his last year in the nba from 3. his first two years he shot closer to 25%.

bottom line is that he can score on this level and he should be a lock to make the team. theres no way a guy comes from europe where he was making money just to play for the defenders.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Like the Douglas-Roberts Johnson-Odom backups at guard. They're like playing against 4 guys.

Chick would have had fun with that duo.
All Net
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if he will make the team..give him a go in pre season and see how he does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jackthunder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject:

if we had the clippers bench we'd be unstoppable.
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject:

jackthunder wrote:
if we had the clippers bench we'd be unstoppable.

If the Clippers had our starting five they would be unstoppable.
ClaytonBigsby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject:

While CDR may not be God's gift to basketball, I do think he can be an asset. Great one on one player, instant offense. I remember reading many a post this off-season about bring some young, athletic scoring to this team. Voila...
Remembering Showtime
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject:

We need all the help at sf that we can get.
jackthunder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:

I keep waiting for a big bench Shannon Brown/Ariza type signing. But I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:

jackthunder wrote:
I keep waiting for a big bench Shannon Brown/Ariza type signing. But I'm guessing that's not gonna happen.

Both Ariza and Shannon weren't thought of as much when they were acquired.. perhaps CDR fits into that? From what I hear - he's a gunner like Shannon is soooo
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject:

If CDR remains on the team and truly becomes our backup SF, blake will be so much more reasonable as our backup PG
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject:

CDR is a shooting guard though. His play style is similar to Barbosa, except younger and better defensively.

As a SF he's very undersized and pretty bad so I've read. He excels as a SG because that is his natural position. We already have Meeks as SG so it should be interesting.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
CDR is a shooting guard though. His play style is similar to Barbosa, except younger and better defensively.

As a SF he's very undersized and pretty bad so I've read. He excels as a SG because that is his natural position. We already have Meeks as SG so it should be interesting.

Harden has gotten away playing sf and he's 6'5 while CDR is 6'7

His career preseason numbers are nice. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_douglas-roberts/career_stats.html
in before someone says its only preseason lol
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject:

I'm glad we got this guy. I've seen him play with the Bucks and he is a very good slasher, Matt Barnes style, but with more style, weaker rebounding and more athleticism and youth. This is a very good signing. Nice one Mitch!

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject:

Living here in NJ for the past 5 years, I've had the misfortune of having to watch some Nets games. CDR was on the Nets for a year or two.

1. On the Nets, he could flat out score off the dribble. He has a very herky jerky game that is difficult to guard. He has decent handles for a guy who is listed at 6'7", and he is really a long player.

2. Doesn't have a high basketball IQ. He's very instinctual in terms of scoring, just goes at the rim relentlessly.

3. Has a decent mid-range game, and is athletic.

4. Poor defender, more wiry than strong. He could def play small forward though as a backup. He couldn't guard LBJ, Durant, Melo, but who really can? He's good as a backup SF/SG (in that order).

Look, Ebanks has some defensive potential. But on offense, he simply offers nothing. CDR is a scoring-minded SF/SG who has a good chance to make the team. He was known as a team cancer on the Bucks, and I'm hoping that playing in Euro (and don't look at his Euro numbers, they are always skewed due to the Euro style of play, look at Brandon Jennings for example) sobered him up a bit.

Overall, a great low risk, high upside player. I personally hope he makes the team because he would offer a good scoring option off the bench. Otherwise, we are stuck with whatever Ebanks can offer, which last year wasn't too much.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject:

^^^

I agree with majority of your assessments, yinoma.

However - the conclusion you're coming up with disregards a possibility (and high one at that) of Kobe sliding up into a backup 3 role and still playing 33-35min per game. And that is very possible, especially when Meeks is catching fire
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
^^^

However - the conclusion you're coming up with disregards a possibility (and high one at that) of Kobe sliding up into a backup 3 role and still playing 33-35min per game. And that is very possible, especially when Meeks is catching fire

I think the goal is to limit the wear/tear on Kobe, particularly when he has dropped by his own admission 15 pounds. So he's at a svelte 200 pounds or so. I don't know if I'd want him to play that many additional minutes at the SF spot. But yeah, if Kobe had to, he can def play SF.

But it's nice to have an offensive tool off the bench at the SF spot, which Ebanks/Clark are not, and CDR is much more of an offensive player. We'll see. I was very surprised about this signing and like it a lot.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
^^^

I think the goal is to limit the wear/tear on Kobe, particularly when he has dropped by his own admission 15 pounds. So he's at a svelte 200 pounds or so. I don't know if I'd want him to play that many additional minutes at the SF spot. But yeah, if Kobe had to, he can def play SF.

But it's nice to have an offensive tool off the bench at the SF spot, which Ebanks/Clark are not, and CDR is much more of an offensive player. We'll see. I was very surprised about this signing and like it a lot.

right - and I don't mean playing Kobe against really strong backup 3's. I think he can handle majority of them though.

Just to be clear - i have nothing against the signing of CDR. I do not particularly like though basketball players with very low BB IQ (and as such - he is kinda black hole offensively). No doubt - any team needs one (or better - two) scorer off the bench. with Jamison/Meeks I do think we're good enough for CDR not to see minutes because Ebanks is a better defender
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
^^^

right - and I don't mean playing Kobe against really strong backup 3's. I think he can handle majority of them though.

Just to be clear - i have nothing against the signing of CDR. I do not particularly like though basketball players with very low BB IQ (and as such - he is kinda black hole offensively). No doubt - any team needs one (or better - two) scorer off the bench. with Jamison/Meeks I do think we're good enough for CDR not to see minutes because Ebanks is a better defender

Also, the nice thing about CDR is his ability to play SF and SG. Meeks is a one trick pony, and can oftentimes be bullied by bigger SGs. We don't have any option off the bench in that situation (and Ebanks is not a backup SG). CDR would be a good remedy for that.

He is a blackhole on offense, but it would be nice to have another offensive tool off the bench at the SF spot. Ebanks will likely average less than 5 ppg b/c of his lack of offensive game. CDR is at least an average offensive player.

I think we both agree about CDR. Not a game changer, but at the minimum, he's better IMO than Glock, Nelson, and others. I'd probably keep DJO though.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject:

Yeap, we are in agreement about CDR, in general.

I think, the Lakers are going to keep him "close" (with the most likely outcome him being in the D-league). However - he is the only player that might "surprise" in the camp and make the team outright as the spot #13, lets' say
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:

I think, the Lakers are going to keep him "close" (with the most likely outcome him being in the D-league). However - he is the only player that might "surprise" in the camp and make the team outright as the spot #13, lets' say

I don't see why they'd keep him in the DLeague b/c any team can poach him. If it came down to DJO, Sacre, Glock, and CDR, I take DJO and CDR. I think we're good at the center position given Dwight's recovery.

Our most glaring need is depth at the SF spot, and CDR fits one particular need: athletic scorer.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:

I don't see why they'd keep him in the DLeague b/c any team can poach him. If it came down to DJO, Sacre, Glock, and CDR, I take DJO and CDR. I think we're good at the center position given Dwight's recovery.

Our most glaring need is depth at the SF spot, and CDR fits one particular need: athletic scorer.

I am not disputing your opinion based on any facts/needs, yinoma. It is just a feel...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
http://youtu.be/jex5bEQCSi0

looks like he has some skill
he does have skill. the guy is good. BUT he cant shoot the three ball unless something has changed. he had a weird but working mid range jay. but he wasnt that great of a passer. not a great defender. so his worth isnt much.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject:

Dunks on Kevin Love:
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:

I agree! After what happened last year with Gerald Green, I'd rather the Lakers use one of the last two roster spots on CDR than risk keeping him in the D-league.

We need some insurance at the wing position in case Meeks or Ebanks goes down, and CDR provides that. Yes, it leaves us with "only" a 4-big rotation (Gasol/Howard/Jamieson/Hill), but then last year Mike Brown had trouble finding time for all five big men, and this year's PF/C rotation is better, especially Jamieson/Hill coming off the bench. This eliminates the NEED for a 5th big.

As much as I like Sacre, I'd give the last two spots to DJO (defense and athleticism) and CDR (a scoring option). It'll be interesting to see what the Lakers do.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:

I agree! After what happened last year with Gerald Green, I'd rather the Lakers use one of the last two roster spots on CDR than risk keeping him in the D-league.

We need some insurance at the wing position in case Meeks or Ebanks goes down, and CDR provides that. Yes, it leaves us with "only" a 4-big rotation (Gasol/Howard/Jamieson/Hill), but then last year Mike Brown had trouble finding time for all five big men, and this year's PF/C rotation is better, especially Jamieson/Hill coming off the bench. This eliminates the NEED for a 5th big.

As much as I like Sacre, I'd give the last two spots to DJO (defense and athleticism) and CDR (a scoring option). It'll be interesting to see what the Lakers do.

I'm going to wait until after all of the pre-season games.. but right now - I agree. I was on board with Ronnie Aguilar .. but CDR should absolutely get the spot. Dude is a legitmate scoring threat. The Lakers need as much firepower on their bench as they could get to improve over last year.. if you have Meeks, Jamison, AND CDR, who are all aggressive offensively - then having passive players like Steve Blake and Devin Ebanks and offensively-challenged in Jordan Hill all of a sudden doesn't seem like too big of a deal.

People talk about his being a head-case, or defensive abilities.. but he'll be in the game what? 3 to 4 minutes a quarter? Having that spark along with Meeks and Jamison will be great.

Of course, if it doesn't work out .. you could always go and see what you have with Earl Clark and Devin Ebanks.

But, CDR is a legit scoring threat. And it's not as though he's a scrub.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30
Jump to: