***OFFICAL: WELCOME MIKE D'ANTONI AS THE NEXT HEAD COACH OF THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS THREAD***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the Lakers.

We know Drama

Good luck.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
Welcome to the Lakers.

We know Drama

Good luck.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
chinaurge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject:

Why hire D'Antoni so fast if he can't join the team for another two weeks? Why not wait a day or two before making such as rash decision?
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject:

This is kind of like the return of 1/2 of Showtime
The 1/2 we get: High scoring offense, lots of running fastbreaks, very entertaining.
The 1/2 we won't get: rings, defense, oh..and did I mention no rings
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
KobePau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:

Jim Buss is full of $h**. Doesn't give a **** about us fans but his ego. All he does is lie to us fans and makes the dumbest moves I ever seen in our history. Watch we will be chanting "Jim Buss Sucks" in the near future.
KobePau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:

Dantoni can't even coach the Knicks and you want him to coach these lakers. Knicks are the best team in the east this season record wise because they don't have Dantoni. Lakers rather risk losing a title to play more fun? F*** fun!!! It ain't fun losing. It's only fun winning.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, we need a defensive minded coach we should of hired Mike Brown!!!!!!!!

YEAH THATS RIGHT WE DID HOW DID THAT WORK OUT?
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject:

The Heat just won a championship with ERIK SPOELSTRA as their head coach. If the guys buy-in, they will win.
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:

I seriously do not know how this is going to go. . . . . . .

Magnum PJ, no go...

Magnum Pi(stash), a go......

i know its Hollywood but I hope we can come together and win it
TwoFourEightRays
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject:

Atticus wrote:
The Heat just won a championship with ERIK SPOELSTRA as their head coach. If the guys buy-in, they will win.

True dat Atticus! Why cant D'Antoni win his first championship with Lakers? A lot of negative feedback from everyone about this hiring but we'll see the tune change when Lakers turn this season around and see a bunch W's followed by a title.
M. Hicks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject:

KobePau wrote:
Dantoni can't even coach the Knicks and you want him to coach these lakers. Knicks are the best team in the east this season record wise because they don't have Dantoni. Lakers rather risk losing a title to play more fun? F*** fun!!! It ain't fun losing. It's only fun winning.

He's working with way more on the Lakers than he had on the Knicks.

He has the 3-time Defensive Player of the Year, a strongly defensive 3 and Kobe Bryant. Nash knows the fundamentals and Pau can step up his D when he is challenged and motivated.

The pressures of LA will force D'Antoni to get defensive help (coaching) if he needs it.
KobePau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject:

M. Hicks wrote:
KobePau wrote:

He's working with way more on the Lakers than he had on the Knicks.

He has the 3-time Defensive Player of the Year, a strongly defensive 3 and Kobe Bryant. Nash knows the fundamentals and Pau can step up his D when he is challenged and motivated.

The pressures of LA will force D'Antoni to get defensive help (coaching) if he needs it.

He had Tyson chandler in New York. It's about being a leader and a playoff coach. Lakers are taking a risk over something that is proven.
Talby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2qcimvn.jpg
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject:

Talby wrote:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2qcimvn.jpg
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I had my doubts either way about who would be the best hirer. Phil didn't do so great his last year, and the only thing he seems to know about "D" is the dollars in his contract. D'antoni will know how to use a PG (Phil has no idea what that is) and his offense will probably be simpler for Howard to learn. Kobe did play it in the Olympics, and also Mike D. is a lot more likely to use younger players like Meeks, Ebanks, Morris than Phil would have. Also Phil's sometimes caustic approach may not have worked with Howard or Nash, and his demands for more player control, might have meant more players in the Steve Blake/Derek Fisher mold. The "wanting games off on road trips" is fine for Vin Scully, but not your head coach. "Hey PJ, I need to stay in LA and work out with my boys or cut a new track on my record; its not like you are going back East on the 4 game trip, why should I?"

No one knows for sure if either Mike D. or Phil could/will win us another championship but Mike D. at least represents the chance to move on into something new.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
I had my doubts either way about who would be the best hirer. Phil didn't do so great his last year, and the only thing he seems to know about "D" is the dollars in his contract. D'antoni will know how to use a PG (Phil has no idea what that is) and his offense will probably be simpler for Howard to learn. Kobe did play it in the Olympics, and also Mike D. is a lot more likely to use younger players like Meeks, Ebanks, Morris than Phil would have. Also Phil's sometimes caustic approach may not have worked with Howard or Nash, and his demands for more player control, might have meant more players in the Steve Blake/Derek Fisher mold. The "wanting games off on road trips" is fine for Vin Scully, but not your head coach. "Hey PJ, I need to stay in LA and work out with my boys or cut a new track on my record; its not like you are going back East on the 4 game trip, why should I?"

No one knows for sure if either Mike D. or Phil could/will win us another championship but Mike D. at least represents the chance to move on into something new.

Welcome to the Lakeshow Mr. D'Antoni!

Amen to that!
rebs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: It's ok

I admit I would have preferred Phil Jackson, but it wasn't a slam dunk for me because his last season wasn't his best (from a coaching standpoint and independent of the personnel/injury issues such as Kobe's knee issues).

However, if I was comfortable that he could return to his glory days, I would have given PJ the money, control, and ability to choose what road trips to travel on.

I'm hopeful that Mr. Buss isn't letting his ego in the way of this decision. ESPN just reported Jackson was "stunned" by the hiring of Mike D'Antoni, and that he was expecting to be the new Lakers coach after talking today.

I (and more importantly Kobe and Nash) will of course support D'Antoni. However, I'm really hoping the the Lakers really believe that D'Antoni is the answer and aren't simply choosing him to get away from Phil Jackson's demands. (It should also be noted these the Lakers front office also thought Mike Brown was the answer too, so sometimes a coaches track record (especially in the post season) speaks for itself)

It should also be mentioned that in 2 seasons Nash and Kobe could easily be gone, and if Dwight isn't happy *this* year, he will leave after the season. That's a lot bigger issue than people realize. If Dwight leaves that means Kupchak will have given up 8 draft picks and will only have Jordan Hill and Steve Nash to show for it. Needless to say, that's not very efficient.

Congrats D'Antoni. Even though you weren't my first choice, I'm a huge Lakers fan and I wish you the best.

...Mr Buss and Mr. Kupchak I sincerely hope you are making the best decision for the Lakers and not a decision to help protect your job (Kupchak) /and or ego (Buss and Kupchak).
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/6374/40776348563901481035813.jpg

Welcome, Coach D'Antoni. Good luck!
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject:

OVERRATED!!!!

just kidding...

Welcome Coach D'Antoni, and hopefully you can bring in Nate McMillan with you!

Last edited by NOODLESTYLE on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
rebs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject:

The one thing I will add is I really don't think the Lakers put D'Antoni in the best situation since they supposedly said the job was Phil's to turn down (and if that wasn't true they should have corrected the media since *everyone* reported it)

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622878/stunned-phil-jackson-was-prepared-return-los-angeles-lakers-source-says

...having said that, yes I'm on-board the D'Antoni train. I just don't think the organization handled this situation very well.

Last edited by rebs on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack Nicholson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike Diesel
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Isn't this a welcome thread?

Welcome Coach. Sounds like you are a generally well-regarded coach around the league, and specifically by current Lakers players, ownership and management. Since I have faith in those guys (and girl) based on years of proven history, I'll transfer that faith to you pending review in very late June. Faith that you have handled LA type atmospheres, star players, and high expectations, though never this high.

Good luck. Hope you are as good at tuning out noise, nonsense, and, more to the point, time-wasting irrelevancies as Mitch Kupchak and Dr. Jerry Buss are.

-
Separate note - holy sht my 100th post already. I'll choose closest emoticon to Chickie Baby that I can to celebrate. Miss you, Chick.
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
GO TO HELL MIKE D'ANTONI AND JIM BUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LakerEric...quit beating around the bush...just what is it your trying to say?!
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject:

This thread has turned extra-strength dumb. Lets see what D'Antoni can do before crucifying him.
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:

The more I think about this hiring's implications, the more I'm loving it.

WELCOME TO THE LAKERS, COACH PRINGLES!!!

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13
Jump to: