Lakers in the News 12/19/12 "Lakers 1971-72 championship team reunites for fundraiser"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 12/19/12 "Lakers 1971-72 championship team reunites for fundraiser"

Quote:
Mike D'Antoni experimenting with Lakers' rotation

By Eric Pincus

December 19, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

The Lakers won their third-straight game Tuesday night, barely, holding off the Charlotte Bobcats by a single point, 101-100.

Pau Gasol returned to the lineup after an eight-game absence. He played 29 1/2 minutes, and while he only shot three for 10 from the field, his overall box score was relatively solid with 10 points, nine rebounds, five assists and four blocked shots.

Coach Mike D'Antoni used Gasol's return as an opportunity to experiment with the team's rotation. Devin Ebanks started the game at small forward but played just under five minutes, missing three of four shots.

That put Metta World Peace on the bench, in two roles. D'Antoni wants World Peace to not only play small forward but also be Gasol's primary backup at the four.

Read on: http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-d-antoni-experimenting-lakers-rotation-20121219,0,5311581.story

Last edited by Cha*n on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Paul Gasol Is Back With the Lakers, Big Challenge Yet to Come

Published December 19, 2012

Paul Gasol is back with the Los Angeles Lakers after missing eight games with tendinitis in both knees. He got 10 points and nine rebounds in 30 minutes and shot 3 for 10 at Tuesday night game.

"My stamina was good," Gasol said. "I think I kept up with them pretty well and I pushed through those times when I got a little fatigued. I was pretty active and my knees are feeling much better than they were. I just have to be more confident out there."

However, beating the Charlotte Bobcats by one point isn't a true barometer of where the slow-starting Los Angeles Lakers are at the moment.

Neither were the wins they recorded in their previous two games against the short-handed Philadelphia 76ers and NBA-worst Washington Wizards, following a four-game skid that tested new coach Mike D'Antoni's patience — and his up-tempo offense.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2012/12/19/paul-gasol-is-back-with-lakers-big-challenge-yet-to-come/#ixzz2FYL8yLup
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Pau Gasol's return leaves questions

Big man back from injury, but Lakers still far from figuring out best use for him
Updated: December 19, 2012, 3:51 AM ET
By Ramona Shelburne | ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- So Pau Gasol came back Tuesday night.

And ... not much looked all that different for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Sure, they won, beating the lowly Charlotte Bobcats 101-100. It was their third victory in a row, even. But if anyone thought the eight-game break Gasol took to rest his sore knees would give the Lakers and new coach Mike D'Antoni time to iron out and define Gasol's role in this uptempo offense, there wasn't much in the way of clarity coming out of Tuesday's game.

If anything, the way the Lakers used Gasol on this night raised more questions than existed before he took a break. Namely, can Gasol and Dwight Howard play together? Will they even be given a chance to?

I'm not talking about a trade, although that will loom as a possibility for as long as the Lakers continue to struggle. No, it's a whole lot more literal than that at this point because of the way D'Antoni staggered Gasol and Howard's minutes Tuesday.

If it seemed as if they weren't on the court much together, that wasn't a coincidence. It just might be how it's going to be for the Lakers going forward.

"They probably won't be," Kobe Bryant said bluntly when asked about the Lakers' two post players' lack of side-by-side playing time.

Read on: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8761397/pau-gasol-back-uncertainly-remains-los-angeles-lakers

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Gasol has no prayer on the wing in new Lakers offense
5:30 PM, December 19, 2012

Lee, USA TODAY Sports
USA Today
by Samuel Amick, USA TODAY Sports

LOS ANGELES â?? Can forward Pau Gasol flourish in coach Mike D'Antoni's system and help save the Lakers' debacle of a season?

It depends on whom you ask.

Kobe Bryant says yes. Gasol, who returned after an eight-game absence Tuesday night in a Lakers win over Charlotte, says maybe. And D'Antoni, whose task of re-integrating Gasol will be significantly tougher than the welcome back party that will be thrown when point guard Steve Nash (left leg) comes back as soon as Saturday, feigns confidence that clearly isn't there.

"I think so," D'Antoni, whose team has won three in a row but is just 12-14, said when the question about Gasol was posed. "There's no reason not to (think Gasol can flourish). We do have to find the right balance between him and Dwight (Howard) in the post and all that stuff that goes with it. But I would be shocked if he can't."

Read on: http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/1780727?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CDetroit%20Pistons%7Cs

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Is the Lakers biggest problem really Kobe Bryant? No.

Kurt Helin

Dec 19, 2012, 8:42 PM EST
Leave a comment
Lakers Bryant reacts after hitting a three-point shot against the 76ers during their NBA game in Philadelphia Reuters

While Steve Nash and Pau Gasol were out, Kobe Bryant has carried the Lakers. He is leading the league with 29.5 points per game, scoring more points per game than he has since before Pau Gasol arrived as a Laker. Back when Kobe had to carry Kwame Brown and Smush Parker (remember they both started).

But the Lakers have struggled to a 12-14 record — and that is after a three game win streak.

It has led some people to say, “Kobe Bryant is shooting too much.” He is back to being a ball hog and that is what is holding the Lakers back.

I think those people are wrong — Kobe is playing as many minutes but taking fewer shots per game than either of the Lakers most recent title years. With Nash out, the playmaking has to fall to him because you can’t let Chris Duhon do it. But that is different than being an inefficient gunner.

Still you hear it — “Kobe is shooting too much.” And it’s not just fans. This is an assistant coach from another team, speaking to Chris Broussard if ESPN (the story is behind their pay wall).

Read on: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/19/is-the-lakers-biggest-problem-really-kobe-bryant-no/

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Magic Johnson breaks Lakers' Twitter silence

Magic Johnson said he would not talk about the Lakers on Twitter until the team had won three games in a row. (Stephen Dunn / Getty Images / October 30, 2012)
By Eric Pincus

December 19, 2012, 5:54 p.m.

On Dec. 14, Magic Johnson decided he had seen enough from the struggling Lakers, swearing a vow of silence on Twitter.

"This will be my last tweet about the @Lakers until they win three in a row!" read Johnson's entry.

At the time of his post, the Lakers were struggling against the Washington Wizards on the road, following a four-game losing streak.

The Lakers would ultimately win in Washington, 102-96, and then in Philadelphia two days later over the Sixers, 111-98. Pau Gasol's return helped spark a tight, tight victory in Los Angeles against the Charlotte Bobcats (101-100) on Tuesday.

Read on: http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-magic-johnson-breaks-lakers-twitter-silence-20121219,0,7841900.story
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Cha*n.

Lakers having some player issues despite winning 3 straight games. Not a good sign, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Big issue for Lakers: How to get forward Pau Gasol back into the mix
By Mark Medina Staff Writer
Posted: 12/19/2012 10:14:16 PM PST
Updated: 12/19/2012 10:34:16 PM PST

The Lakers' Pau Gasol grabs a rebound in front of the Charlotte Bobcats' Byron Mullens in the first half Tuesday at Staples Center. ((Michael Owen Baker/Staff Photographer))

With a solemn expression on his face, Pau Gasol peered over the team huddle.

The image captured how Gasol continuously feels he's on the outside looking in regarding his role. It also provided a literary picture as Gasol sat on the bench in the final 2 minutes, 36 seconds of the Lakers' 101-100 victory Tuesday over the Charlotte Bobcats.

Gasol stressed he wouldn't worry about his role in his first game back after missing the past eight because of knee tendinitis. But after sitting in late fourth-quarter stretches in two other games, Gasol voiced his displeasure afterward as swiftly as when he throws a lob to Dwight Howard.

"Hopefully it won't happen too often," Gasol said. "When the game is on the line, I need to be on the court. That's what I get paid to do."

Read more: http://www.sgvtribune.com/sports/ci_22229241/big-issue-lakers-how-get-forward-pau-gasol#ixzz2FZZTiwM5
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Thanks Cha*n.

Lakers having some player issues despite winning 3 straight games. Not a good sign, IMO.

I agree, and we may be in for a tough couple or more years.

How do you replace Kobe Byant.

I'm sure the same question came up with Magic and other Lakers stars.

I'll always be a fan though and know they'll get back one top soon.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers 1971-72 championship team reunites for fundraiser

Members of the Lakers' 1971-72 championship team took part in the West Coast Sports Medicine Foundation Fundraiser on Dec. 8. From left, Jim McMillian, Flynn Robinson, Jerry West, Jim Cleamons, Elgin Baylor, founder of WCSMF Keith Feder, Gail Goodright and Keith Erickson. (Ben Aguirre / December 8, 2012)

By Eric Pincus
December 19, 2012, 7:57 p.m.

The 1971-72 Lakers championship team recently came together to raise $150,000 to benefit the West Coast Sports Medicine Foundation.

Legendary Lakers including Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich, Jim McMillian, Jim Cleamons, Flynn Robinson and Keith Erickson were in attendance, along with coaches Bill Sharman and Bill Bertka.

The Lakers won their first championship outside of Minneapolis, beating the New York Knicks in five games (4-1). The late Wilt Chamberlain was named NBA Finals MVP.

Hall of Famer Bill Walton served as master of ceremonies at the Lakers Legends Charity Event, held Dec. 8, which raised funds for the inner-city outreach program Team to Win.

“WCSMF is such an incredible organization and my wife, Joyce, and I were excited to be able to contribute to the auction,” Sharman said. “Inner-city youth outreach is a cause close to our hearts and Team to Win gives these kids a leg up and opens the door to a better future by providing them free sports-medicine care, college scholarships, mentoring and athletic trainers at high schools.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-1971-72-championship-fundraiser-20121219,0,4628478.story?track=rss
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: