New Study Says Listeners Of Rap Music More Prone To Substanc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: New Study Says Listeners Of Rap Music More Prone To Substanc

Listeners of rap are more likely to encounter problems with alcohol, drugs and violence than listeners of other genres, according to a new study by the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation's (PIRE) Prevention Research Center.

More than 1,000 community college students, age 15-25, participated in the study, titled "Music, Substance Use and Aggression." The students were questioned on their music listening habits, alcohol use, illicit drug use and aggressive behaviors, such as getting into fights and attacking or threatening others.

The results found that rap was consistently associated with alcohol use, potential alcohol use disorder, illicit drug use and aggressive behavior.

The study, published in the May issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol, also found that young people who listen to reggae and techno use more alcohol and illicit drugs than listeners of other music, with the exception of rap.

Rap topped all other genres in association to alcohol and drug use and aggression.

The results, which were not affected by the respondents' gender or ethnicity, should raise eyebrows, said lead author Meng-Jinn Chen, Ph.D., a research scientist at the Center.

"People should be concerned about rap and Hip-Hop being used to market alcoholic beverages, given the alcohol, drug and aggression problems among listeners," Meng-Jinn said. "That's particularly true considering the popularity of rap and Hip-Hop among young people."

Hip-Hop artists have been featured in advertisements for malt liquor and other alcohol products, while urban radio is regularly used for alcohol advertising.

Meng-Jinn added, "While we don't fully understand the relationship between music preferences and behavioral outcomes, our study shows that young people may be influenced by frequent exposure to music lyrics that make positive references to substance abuse and violence."

Researchers emphasize that the survey's results can't determine whether listening to certain genres leads to alcohol or illicit drug use or aggressive behavior.

However, young people with tendencies to use alcohol or illicit drugs or to be aggressive may be drawn to particular music styles.

Recent studies of popular music revealed that nearly half of rap/Hip-Hop songs mentioned alcohol, compared to 10 percent or less of other popular genres.

Nearly two-thirds of rap songs mentioned illicit drugs, compared with one-tenth of songs from other genres. Rap and rock music videos depict violence twice as often as other music genres.

AmericanBrandstand.com, a web site that tracks the number of times products are mentioned in music, reported that Hennessy was the highest ranking alcohol brand in 2005, ranking sixth overall in a list of products mentioned by artists.

The brand was mentioned 44 times, nine more than Cristal, which ranked eighth.

The study was funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), which sponsors the PIRE Prevention Research Center, a national nonprofit public health research institute.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5577
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

Wow that's shocking. :roll:
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:

happy 420!!
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

I'm high right now! 8)
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

The premise of this study is so idiotic, I can't believe crap like this gets published.

Do they even attempt to take into account that maybe socioeconomic background plays a role in this? Maybe, just maybe I'm more likely to listen to rap because it speaks to me more as an underpriveleged person? Maybe, jut maybe I'm also more likely to turn to drugs as an escape? Maybe, just maybe there's a correlation there?

And maybe, just maybe whoever commissioned this study has an agenda...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject:

I"m the opposite.

Ever since I did drugs, alcohol and sex, I've craved degenerate music.

On a serious note, in the 1950s and 1960s white moralists worried that rock was a form of negro music, and that it would lead to immorality among the white youths. Funny how things never really change.
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

X2

RIP Jayden Odom
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:

For me its the opposite too.

I mean, if you listen to 50 cent and that crap the study might be true.

But if you listen to guys talking about how its though in the ghettos and why drugs sucks, you dont wanna be around it.
j.mob
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: drugs & rap

That's a bunch of b.s! 2 each his own. Its just the media tryin' 2 scare someone. But all that aside I smoke out but its not from the muzik. So smoke on and G-G-G-G-Unot!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: