Lakers in the News 1/15/13: "Lakers Look To Gain Momentum With Win Over Milwaukee"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 1/15/13: "Lakers Look To Gain Momentum With Win Over Milwaukee"

Quote:
Bigger defensive role for Kobe Bryant

Updated: January 14, 2013, 11:39 PM ET

By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If the Los Angeles Lakers are going to make a push to get back in the postseason hunt, they'll have to improve their defense.

Therefore, the Lakers have turned to none other than Kobe Bryant to spearhead that defensive turnaround.

Bryant drew the primary defensive assignment against Kyrie Irving on Sunday and limited the Cleveland Cavaliers star guard to just 15 points in the Lakers' 113-93 victory.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Index. Blog

In the wake of Bryant's outstanding effort against Irving, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has vowed to use the veteran guard in similar defensive situations.

"I think that really helped us," D'Antoni said. "It helped us against the Clippers with Chris Paul. (Bryant) wants to take the challenge, and it really helps us."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8844744/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-take-more-important-defensive-role-mike-dantoni-says

Last edited by Cha*n on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bucks-Lakers Preview

By ALAN FERGUSON (STATS Writer) | The Associated Press – 5 hours ago

Even before Dwight Howard returned from injury, Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni was looking for a fresh start for his team.

The Lakers may have gotten that with Howard's help, but a lackluster performance against the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday night could lead to some of the same feelings that were generated during a lengthy skid.

After a sixth straight loss Friday against Oklahoma City, D'Antoni declared that the Lakers' season was starting again Sunday against visiting Cleveland.

"I don't know if it's so literal but at the same time, we realized we don't have time to fall further behind," point guard Steve Nash said. "We can't give away games."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bucks-lakers-preview-025109461--nba.html

Last edited by Cha*n on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=155525
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nash: Lakers' goal is the postseason
January, 14, 2013
JAN 14
9:08
PM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Steve Nash was on the "Max & Marcellus Show" on ESPNLA 710 radio on Monday and couldn't help but let out a self-deprecating laugh when Max Kellerman laid out the predicament he's in this season:

Here Nash is, a 38-year-old point guard in his 17th season joining the enemy in the Los Angeles Lakers to try to get a ring after playing with the Phoenix Suns for so long … and right now a championship seems about as far-fetched as Nash winning the dunk contest during All-Star weekend.

While things certainly haven't gone according to plan (at Nash's introductory press conference in July he said, "This is going to be a really exciting chapter of my career," and I'm sure he'd choose a different adjective than "exciting" these days), the former two-time MVP is keeping the team focused on a more humble goal of just qualifying for the postseason.

"Obviously, the goal is to win a championship when you have a team like we have on paper," Nash told the radio station. "Having said that, I think now our goal is to make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs, maybe we can re-adjust our goals. But the goal right now is to make the playoffs.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35440/nash-lakers-goal-is-the-postseason
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
5 Adjustments LA Lakers Must Make to Improve Their Chemistry
BY HOWARD RUBEN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JANUARY 15, 2013

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesPrevious 1 of 7 Next
Mike D'Antoni should adjust to his talent and not try to mold them into something they are not.
Scott Halleran/Getty Images
There's really no way to teach chemistry. But, for the L.A. Lakers to make a serious run at the playoffs, they'll need to make adjustments both on and off the court as they look for that elusive key to success.

To date, the Lakers of 2012-13 have resembled more of a hodgepodge than a cohesive unit. They often play on different pages, fail to help the helper on defense, take whole possessions off and lose focus when opponents go on runs and widen leads.

The Lakers managed to get their first win of the new year on Sunday, beating the lowly Cavaliers 113-101 at Staples Center. Some might call it a step in the right direction, but if that was their silver lining, the Lakers might think about shredding their current playbook and starting over next fall.

L.A. did play some solid defense, getting contributions from Dwight Howard (14 rebounds), Earl Clark (nine rebounds) and Kobe Bryant, who relentlessly hounded Cavs point guard Kyrie Irving in the first half as the Lakers raced to a 57-45 lead.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1484891-5-adjustments-la-lakers-must-make-to-improve-their-chemistry
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Gasol to miss 5th game with concussion
Updated 3:54 pm, Monday, January 14, 2013

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) — Pau Gasol is expected to miss his fifth straight game for the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night while he recovers from a concussion.

Gasol wasn't cleared to play Monday after another evaluation by the Lakers' medical staff. The four-time All-Star forward was hurt during a game against Denver on Jan. 6 when JaVale McGee accidentally elbowed him in the nose.

Gasol is averaging a career-low 12.2 points and 8.4 rebounds, struggling at times to fit into new coach Mike D'Antoni's system. He also missed a few games with knee tendinitis.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Lakers-Gasol-to-miss-5th-game-with-concussion-4193505.php#ixzz2I24IZcRS
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject:

Hope our D can contain Bucks to below 100.
M. Hicks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject:

limchrc wrote:
Hope our D can contain Bucks to below 100.

All I care about is everyone staying healthy and the Lakers scoring more points than the Bucks, whether it's 72-71 or 142-141.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Milwaukee Bucks (19-17) at Los Angeles Lakers (16-21), 10:30 p.m. (ET)

January 15
BY SPORTS NETWORK
The Sports Network

The Los Angeles Lakers snapped a six-game losing streak on Sunday and will now try to build actual momentum when they face the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday.

The Lakers trounced the Cleveland Cavaliers, 113-93, at home. Balance was the key for L.A. as six Lakers scored in double figures, led by the NBA's leading scorer, Kobe Bryant, who had 23.

Dwight Howard returned on Sunday after a three-game absence with a shoulder injury and played awfully well. Howard scored 22 points and pulled down 14 rebounds. He did commit seven turnovers, but the big man got through it pain- free.

"It felt good," Howard said. "I was happy to be back on the floor, and happy we got a win."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/15/4011867/milwaukee-bucks-19-17-at-los-angeles.html#storylink=cpy
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

By Bryan Chu | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 4 hours ago
Email
Recommend0Tweet0
AdChoices

COMMENTARY | Ten years ago, I embarked on a Zen retreat in the hills of Los Angeles.
Sunrise to sundown, I sat meditating in near silence. At the end of each session, a Zen master instilled on us the teachings of inner peace, self-realization, self-betterment and togetherness. I reflected on what I had done in the past, wrong and right, and then gained insight on the teaching of cause, condition and effect.
Lakers former coach Phil Jackson introduced similar Zen-like teachings and infused them into his teams and players. It was words, his disturbing calmness, the group meditation sessions, and the teachings he indirectly imparted through his literary recommendations.
Years have passed, but the wisdom I learned has never left me. I recently came across my notes from the Zen retreat, and some of those guiding principles and words of enlightenment could very well be a message for the Lakers who need to take a Zen lesson.
"Everything that happens to us
Is the result of what we
Ourselves have
Thought, said, or done."
In essence: Karma.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/karma-did-lakers-coming-them-202800910--nba.html
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject:

FYI: Yahoo Contributor Network is not actually by real journalists. It's like Bleacher Report...
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
FYI: Yahoo Contributor Network is not actually by real journalists. It's like Bleacher Report...

You can tell.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

Email
Recommend0Tweet0
AdChoices

COMMENTARY | Ten years ago, I embarked on a Zen retreat in the hills of Los Angeles.
Sunrise to sundown, I sat meditating in near silence. At the end of each session, a Zen master instilled on us the teachings of inner peace, self-realization, self-betterment and togetherness. I reflected on what I had done in the past, wrong and right, and then gained insight on the teaching of cause, condition and effect.
Lakers former coach Phil Jackson introduced similar Zen-like teachings and infused them into his teams and players. It was words, his disturbing calmness, the group meditation sessions, and the teachings he indirectly imparted through his literary recommendations.
Years have passed, but the wisdom I learned has never left me. I recently came across my notes from the Zen retreat, and some of those guiding principles and words of enlightenment could very well be a message for the Lakers who need to take a Zen lesson.
Is the result of what we
Ourselves have
Thought, said, or done."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/karma-did-lakers-coming-them-202800910--nba.html

This is the same guy who wrote an article telling the Lakers to wake up and trade Dwight Howard a week ago. I think we're better off not linking any more of his "work" on LG.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Captain_Napalm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Email
Recommend0Tweet0
AdChoices

Is the result of what we
Ourselves have
Thought, said, or done."

Just think of the bestsellers you could write, if you bought into the idiotic idea of Karma:

Abortion: Onus on the Fetus

Kids With Cancer: They Brought It On Themselves

Rape In the Congo: Your Fault for Being Born There

Amber Alert: Kidnapping is Your Kid's Karma

Hiroshima Elementary School: It Was Full of Reincarnated Killers

65 Million Years Later: Cretaceous Karma, Revisited

And the children's companion book, "Mommy, Why Were the Dinosaurs such A-holes?"

Karma is self-contradictory nonsense, because if you start with a world where nobody has bad karma, nobody can GET bad karma.

See, you can't harm anyone else, because nobody has BAD KARMA coming to them. It would be impossible. They couldn't even be harmed by natural disasters.

If you COULD harm someone who didn't have bad karma coming to them, or natural disasters could get them despite a lack of bad karma, then they WOULDN'T be responsible for what happened to them, and thus Karma loses its explicative value.

Karma is just a dumbed-down idea for the intellectually lazy, borrowed by Buddhism from Jainism, and is just one of many such schemes (like "sin") exploited by the powerful to control the behavior of large numbers of illiterate peasants.

It is obviously convenient for a ruler -- see, they aren't evil tyrants taxing you to death with their repressive and unjust laws, they are simply enjoying the fruits of their wonderful karma and you are starving because you did something horribly bad on purpose in your previous life.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I'll change the title!

Cha'n btw is a early school of Zen and karma's believed in the same as it is in another philosophy and said, "as you sow so shall you reap." Your actions and decisions obviously have consequences.

I liked the article.

Anyway, new articles out so let's go on.

Last edited by Cha*n on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Beast or Burden: Baby Steps

By Ben R on Jan 15, 7:46a

USA TODAY Sports

After a number of defeats caused by injury and the team's general discombobulation, getting a win against a bottom feeder at home was necessary, and while the level of opponent makes it difficult to take anything significant from the game, you can't blame the team for taking care of business either.

This very likely won't be the win we look back upon as the time at which the Lakers turned the proverbial switch and became the team we expected them to be at the outset of the season. The team's problems are too pervasive to be undone by merely one good performance and especially so when the chief square peg in round hole guy in Pau Gasol sits on the sidelines. The Cavs offered little resistance to the Lakers' attack with their underrated defensive anchor in Anderson Varejao absent, and the only time the game was in doubt was when the Lakers were deep in a morass of overpassing and turnovers. The rest of the Cavs' roster aside from Kyrie Irving hardly resembles a team that intends to be competitive anytime in the near future, and a blowout victory with Dwight Howard returning to the rotation is hardly a big accomplishment as a result.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/1/15/3877420/beast-or-burden-baby-steps
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Look To Gain Momentum With Win Over Milwaukee
January 15, 2013 3:31 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Even before Dwight Howard returned from injury, Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni was looking for a fresh start for his team.

The Lakers may have gotten that with Howard’s help, but a lackluster performance against the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday night could lead to some of the same feelings that were generated during a lengthy skid.

After a sixth straight loss Friday against Oklahoma City, D’Antoni declared that the Lakers’ season was starting again Sunday against visiting Cleveland.

“I don’t know if it’s so literal but at the same time, we realized we don’t have time to fall further behind,” point guard Steve Nash said. “We can’t give away games.”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/01/15/lakers-to-gain-momentum-with-win-over-milwaukee/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ten things to know about Earl Clark
January, 15, 2013
JAN 15
1:15
PM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

This Lakers season has been filled by one letdown after another, but the story of Earl Clark's recent rise has been a pleasant surprise.

Here's a quick guide on Clark for Lakers fans so they'll know who they're cheering for:

1. Denver's George Karl helped set off "Earlsanity"

The game that gave Clark his opportunity to play was L.A.'s 112-105 loss to the Denver Nuggets, when three of the Lakers' big men -- Dwight Howard (shoulder), Pau Gasol (concussion) and Jordan Hill (hip) -- went out. When Gasol was hit in the nose by Denver's JaVale McGee and awarded two free throws, Gasol was unable to shoot them because he had to check out of the game to stop his nose from bleeding. By NBA rule, the opposing coach is allowed to select anybody off the bench to shoot the replacement free throws, so Karl chose Clark to come in.

Clark hadn't played a minute yet that game and was only 1-for-2 from the free throw line on the season before then, but calmly checked in with 1:05 remaining in the fourth quarter, stuck both the free throws, and checked back out.The clock was stopped the whole time so Clark's line in the box score that night looked pretty interesting: zero minutes, two points.

"I was like, 'Seriously? Did he do that?', Clark said of Karl singling him out. "I'm glad I was ready and knocked them down. It was like kicking it in his face."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35451/ten-things-to-know-about-earl-clark
Slamminkobe8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 1/15/13: "Lakers Look To Gain Momentum With Win Over Milwaukee"

More defense for now. Let's see him guard Parker, Westbook or Conley. He's going to get SMOKEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdd

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Bigger defensive role for Kobe Bryant

Updated: January 14, 2013, 11:39 PM ET

By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- If the Los Angeles Lakers are going to make a push to get back in the postseason hunt, they'll have to improve their defense.

Therefore, the Lakers have turned to none other than Kobe Bryant to spearhead that defensive turnaround.

Bryant drew the primary defensive assignment against Kyrie Irving on Sunday and limited the Cleveland Cavaliers star guard to just 15 points in the Lakers' 113-93 victory.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Index. Blog

In the wake of Bryant's outstanding effort against Irving, Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has vowed to use the veteran guard in similar defensive situations.

"I think that really helped us," D'Antoni said. "It helped us against the Clippers with Chris Paul. (Bryant) wants to take the challenge, and it really helps us."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8844744/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-take-more-important-defensive-role-mike-dantoni-says
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I've been napalmed.

The L.A. Times, Yahoo and ESPN are all posting Bleacher reports and I haven't the time or desire to edit.

I questioned whether LGers even wanted the News posted and think I have my answer.

Okay, I'm oversensitive, whatever you want to say.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject:

Captain_Napalm wrote:
Quote:

Email
Recommend0Tweet0
AdChoices

Is the result of what we
Ourselves have
Thought, said, or done."

Just think of the bestsellers you could write, if you bought into the idiotic idea of Karma:

Abortion: Onus on the Fetus

Kids With Cancer: They Brought It On Themselves

Rape In the Congo: Your Fault for Being Born There

Amber Alert: Kidnapping is Your Kid's Karma

Hiroshima Elementary School: It Was Full of Reincarnated Killers

65 Million Years Later: Cretaceous Karma, Revisited

And the children's companion book, "Mommy, Why Were the Dinosaurs such A-holes?"

Karma is self-contradictory nonsense, because if you start with a world where nobody has bad karma, nobody can GET bad karma.

See, you can't harm anyone else, because nobody has BAD KARMA coming to them. It would be impossible. They couldn't even be harmed by natural disasters.

If you COULD harm someone who didn't have bad karma coming to them, or natural disasters could get them despite a lack of bad karma, then they WOULDN'T be responsible for what happened to them, and thus Karma loses its explicative value.

Karma is just a dumbed-down idea for the intellectually lazy, borrowed by Buddhism from Jainism, and is just one of many such schemes (like "sin") exploited by the powerful to control the behavior of large numbers of illiterate peasants.

It is obviously convenient for a ruler -- see, they aren't evil tyrants taxing you to death with their repressive and unjust laws, they are simply enjoying the fruits of their wonderful karma and you are starving because you did something horribly bad on purpose in your previous life.

One of the most arrogant diatribes I've ever seen or heard this side of Limbaugh.

There, mods. That's a personal attack so ban me.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: