Kenyon Martin Suspended Indefinitely
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
The huge difference here is that no one really knew what Kwame's potential was, plus he has real size where Kenyon is a bit undersized and injured. Kwame had upside, right now everyone pretty much knows what Kenyon is capable of. Kwame was worth a risk and relatively cheap. Kenyon has a huge contract, a recognized bad attitude and is overrated.

So knowing what Kenyon's potential is makes him a bad player? The major problem with Martin is his contract, but since the 2008 cap space plans might not even materalize due to the recent success by Kwame, why not go after talent that can help the team? Kenyon used to be an All Star, although he's not one in the West, he's still a better than average player.

Also, he definitely has been injured quite a bit. I expect the Lakers trainers to help him out on that. Isn't this guy the trainer who has been helping Kobe since he came into the NBA? A lot of the current Lakers are saying that the workout they've gotten has helped them become stronger and better players. Bring in Martin and help him minimize his injuries. He become stronger and better. Look at this team:

PG: MLE/Smush/Sasha
SG: Kobe/Someone
SF: Odom/Luke
PF: Martin/Cook/Turiaf
C: Kwame/Bynum

That's not a bad line up and we fill a need. Mihm would otherwise be a backup C, Aaron would be a backup G, and George might not even resign with the team. So I would definitely give the in trading for Martin.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject:

This dude is soooo traded.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Socks wrote:
The huge difference here is that no one really knew what Kwame's potential was, plus he has real size where Kenyon is a bit undersized and injured. Kwame had upside, right now everyone pretty much knows what Kenyon is capable of. Kwame was worth a risk and relatively cheap. Kenyon has a huge contract, a recognized bad attitude and is overrated.

So knowing what Kenyon's potential is makes him a bad player? The major problem with Martin is his contract, but since the 2008 cap space plans might not even materalize due to the recent success by Kwame, why not go after talent that can help the team? Kenyon used to be an All Star, although he's not one in the West, he's still a better than average player.

Also, he definitely has been injured quite a bit. I expect the Lakers trainers to help him out on that. Isn't this guy the trainer who has been helping Kobe since he came into the NBA? A lot of the current Lakers are saying that the workout they've gotten has helped them become stronger and better players. Bring in Martin and help him minimize his injuries. He become stronger and better. Look at this team:

PG: MLE/Smush/Sasha
SG: Kobe/Someone
SF: Odom/Luke
PF: Martin/Cook/Turiaf
C: Kwame/Bynum

That's not a bad line up and we fill a need. Mihm would otherwise be a backup C, Aaron would be a backup G, and George might not even resign with the team. So I would definitely give the in trading for Martin.

I agree, knowing his potential doesn't make him a bad player. What it does tell us is that his game doesn't live up to his contract. I didn't say it well in my previous post, but what we didn't know about Kwame was whether he would be worth a large contract. The good thing there was that it wasn't a really long contract and the price was decent. With Martin, IMO we already know he's not worth the contract.

True he's a better than average PF, but better than average doesn't justify a long-term max contract that will weigh us down for years to come. I'd more want to bet on us finding a better than average PF for a smaller price tag.
Aphex Twin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

I give him a 5% chance of going to the Lakers and a 75% chance of going to the Knicks. I think Turiaf, with his salary and age would be a better option than Martin, TBH.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

This is what will happen...my prediction...Denver will try and screw Isiah and the Knicks for some talent and draft picks for Kenyon. 90% chance of happening since Isiah is an idiot. OR...he will be traded for expiring contracts and crap. 9% chance of happening. OR...he will remain on the Nuggets 1% chance of happening.

So if the Lakers get him it better be for crap like George, McKie, etc. Not Mihm. Mihm's pinched loaf is more valuable than Kenyon is at this point.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I forget what the actual statistic is, but when the Nuggets have K-Mart and Camby play they have a huge losing record. And when it is only Camby their record is way better. I guess nobody wanted to pick up Kenyon before the All Star break. I bet they will try hard to get him outta Denver this summer. I would much rather have Boozer than Kenyon right now. I have to agree with the Dagger on this one. His predictions seems likely.

Here is a blurb from real gm on K-Mart:

Marc J. Spears wrote:

Finding trade for Martin won't be easy
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post NBA beat reporter

It's one thing for Kenyon Martin's detractors to want him out of Denver. It's another for the Nuggets to make it happen.

The 2004 all-star has played in two NBA Finals and was once one of the league's most athletic players. Now Martin has a bum left knee and five years and $71.9 million left on his contract. And he has been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team.

It's a triple whammy - the suspension, the huge contract and the injuries - should the Nuggets look to trade him in the offseason. Finding a good deal for K-Mart could be much tougher than it was for Indiana to move Ron Artest this season.

But three high-level NBA executives said Wednesday it was definitely possible. They agreed his knee is a big issue, as well as the money left on his contract. They were less concerned about the recent incident that led to his suspension.

"People are going to be nervous about his knee, contract and attitude," one Western Conference executive said. "People are very nervous about contracts that size. It's not impossible, but very difficult."

Martin sulked after seeing his name involved in rumors before the trade deadline in February. The 6-foot-9, 230-pounder, who will make $12 million next season, has often said he expects his name to be back among trade rumors once the season ends.

Nuggets teammate Carmelo Anthony wouldn't speculate on whether Martin would be back next season.

"I don't know how that's going to hold up, that's all I can say," Anthony said. "I wish him the best. I hope they work it out."

So who might possibly be interested in Martin?

Portland could be willing to make a trade for forward Zach Randolph, a tough post player who averaged 18 points and eight rebounds this past season. Randolph is expected to be expendable after numerous run-ins with coach Nate McMillan. And his salary ($12 million next season) matches.

Nuggets assistant general manager Mark Warkentien drafted Randolph for Portland with the 19th overall pick in 2001 and the two are still close. Randolph's sucker

Advertisement
Click Here!

punch in practice of Ruben Patterson, who is now with Denver, is a thing of the past.

"Why not for Zach Randolph?" one Eastern Conference executive said. "They owe him the same amount of money."

Another possibility would be the New York Knicks. Knicks president Isiah Thomas nearly dealt center Antonio Davis in January for Martin. The Knicks are loaded with bad contracts. Potential players tossed Denver's way could be guard Stephon Marbury ($17.1 million), guard Quentin Richardson ($7.5 million), forward Malik Rose ($7.5 million) or forward Maurice Taylor ($9.75 million). Don't expect guard Steve Francis ($15 million) to come to Denver. He and Anthony don't see eye to eye.

"Isiah Thomas might try to throw in Malik Rose or Maurice Taylor," the Eastern Conference executive said.

Another trading partner could be Golden State, which might shop forward Troy Murphy, due $8.2 million next season. He averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds this past season. Agent Dan Fegan, who has five Nuggets clients, also represents Murphy.

New Jersey also could be interested in getting Martin back. Nets coach Lawrence Frank and president Rod Thorn are fond of Martin, and the team needs a power forward.

"I'll take my headache for yours," the Western Conference executive said. "It will probably be like that."

Coach George Karl said Wednesday he was open to working things out with Martin. But expect the Nuggets to explore moving him this offseason.

Marc J. Spears can be reached at 303-820-5449 or mspears @ denverpost.com.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject:

I wouldnt touch kmart...one word: HEADCASE! his carreer is done....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: