JERRY BUSS MEMORIAL SERVICE 2/21/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Who was that guy at Jerry Buss' memorial? (It was Greg Tomlinson)

Wearing purple pants and a purple tie, a tanned, slick-haired man walked up to the podium at the Jerry Buss memorial Thursday and set off a social media flurry as everyone asked: Just who the heck is Greg Tomlinson?

"I think he was a party crasher," said Stan Morrison, former USC basketball coach and friend of Jerry Buss who attended Thursday's memorial at Nokia Theater. "My wife and I were nudging each other going, `Who is this guy?' because he certainly wasn't on the menu."

Morrison was right. According to the order of service in the memorial's printed glossy program, after CBS sportscaster Jim Hill and Jerry Buss' son Johnny, longtime friend Frank Mariani was slated to speak at the hour-long memorial for the beloved Lakers owner who died this week at age 80. Instead, the audience got Tomlinson.

In Long Beach, JamesVilla pleaded via Twitter, "Someone. Please get this guy off the stage Greg Tomlinson this is awkward and horrible."

So who is Greg Tomlinson, and was he actually invited to speak?

Actually, he was a guest of Jim Buss - Jerry's son who is an executive with the team.

"He wanted something from a fan's perspective, and I thought it was a pretty genius idea on Jim's part," Tomlinson said of Jim Buss' request to have him speak. "It was pretty remarkable that Jim felt I could represent the voice of the fans. It was a big weight to bear."

Tomlinson, who also goes by GT, is the founder of an Orange County sunglasses company called VonZipper and was also an on-air announcer for the Winter X Games from 1996 through 2005.

He said he's known Jim Buss for about 20 years, having the pleasure to meet Jerry Buss "on enough occasions to knew that he was a really neat guy."

Link to full article
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Wearing purple pants and a purple tie, a tanned, slick-haired man walked up to the podium at the Jerry Buss memorial Thursday and set off a social media flurry as everyone asked: Just who the heck is Greg Tomlinson?

"I think he was a party crasher," said Stan Morrison, former USC basketball coach and friend of Jerry Buss who attended Thursday's memorial at Nokia Theater. "My wife and I were nudging each other going, `Who is this guy?' because he certainly wasn't on the menu."

Morrison was right. According to the order of service in the memorial's printed glossy program, after CBS sportscaster Jim Hill and Jerry Buss' son Johnny, longtime friend Frank Mariani was slated to speak at the hour-long memorial for the beloved

Greg Tomlinson, a friend of Jim Buss, spoke on behalf of Laker fans at the memorial service for L.A. Lakers owner Jerry Buss at the Nokia Theater on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013. Tomlinson, who was not listed on the service's program, left watchers wondering: Who the heck is this guy? (John McCoy/Staff Photographer)Lakers owner who died this week at age 80.
Instead, the audience got Tomlinson.

In Long Beach, JamesVilla pleaded via Twitter, "Someone. Please get this guy off the stage Greg Tomlinson this is awkward and horrible."

Actually, he was a guest of Jim Buss - Jerry's son who is an executive with the team.

"He wanted something from a fan's perspective, and I thought it was a pretty genius idea on Jim's part," Tomlinson said of Jim Buss' request to have him speak. "It was pretty remarkable that Jim felt I could represent the voice of the fans. It was a big weight to bear."

Tomlinson, who also goes by GT, is the founder of an Orange County sunglasses company called VonZipper and was also an on-air announcer for the Winter X Games from 1996 through 2005.

He said he's known Jim Buss for about 20 years, having the pleasure to meet Jerry Buss "on enough occasions to knew that he was a really neat guy."

Link to full article

IMO, another poor move by Jim Buss. Jim should have spoke, especially since he is now driving the buss.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Hey RMurphy_22, This is your 2nd comment taking shots at Jim Buss. Your last comment you said Jim looks like a drunk. I don't think this is the time or place to start beating up or judging Jim. This is a memorial for his father. His father just passed away. Have a little respect. Especially in this thread.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject:

It's on again starting now on TWC.

Last edited by Lowest Merion on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
LALakersfan1986
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm finally getting to watch the memorial, and it's astounding how much Johnny Buss looks and sounds just like him.
Elcoyote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Morrison was right. According to the order of service in the memorial's printed glossy program, after CBS sportscaster Jim Hill and Jerry Buss' son Johnny, longtime friend Frank Mariani was slated to speak at the hour-long memorial for the beloved

Greg Tomlinson, a friend of Jim Buss, spoke on behalf of Laker fans at the memorial service for L.A. Lakers owner Jerry Buss at the Nokia Theater on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013. Tomlinson, who was not listed on the service's program, left watchers wondering: Who the heck is this guy? (John McCoy/Staff Photographer)Lakers owner who died this week at age 80.
Instead, the audience got Tomlinson.

Link to full article

IMO, another poor move by Jim Buss. Jim should have spoke, especially since he is now driving the buss.

Jim was Jerry's best friend. He was in tears. No way could he have spoke. Jbu (older son) who spoke was more than enough. This wasn't about family rather outsiders touched by dr. Get over the Jim hate. Dude learned from the best. Lakers will be fine
PeterYJXia
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Remembering the Lost and Celebrating Life

I am from China and I am at a loss of words for the impact that Dr. Jerry Buss and the Los Angeles Lakers has had on my life. He brought all of us, from around the world together, to reach for the skies, to be kind to others and to leave behind a legacy of greatness.

Thank you so very much Dr. Jerry Buss. Rest in Peace.
LA1969
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
It was truly an honor to be present at the memorial.

The booklet was incredibly special, capturing a lifetime of memories, and I wanted to share Jeanie's tribute to her Dad:

Quote:
My Promise To My Father

I promise to honor the values you instilled in me of humility, education, hard work, loyalty, family and community.

You treasured Los Angeles, the city that welcomed you and your ambitions with open arms and in return dreamed of giving her a team the citizens would be proud of and a rival to the dominating Boston Celtics. Your innovations and commitment to winning changed the landscape of the NBA and forced the sports media to end their east coast bias.

It will at times be heartbreaking to live without you and I know there will be plenty of challenges ahead on the path you set for us, but I will draw comfort from your teachings. When questions and doubts creep into my mind, I will draw from your wisdom for you were my professor, my ally, my captain. You educated me so thoroughly and believed in me with all your heart that I will never be without you. You gave us a gift which we will continue to nurture and preserve.

I am humbled by the many who have shared stories with me of how you inspired them to pursue education and invest in their ideas, and will continue to find joy and comfort every time I hear another story.

You will always be my Dad-E-O and I, your little Jeanie-pie. I love you.

- Jeanie
-

This really made me lose it. My Daddy used to call me his Evie pie. I so relate to her grief. Much love to you Jeannie. Thanks for sharing this with us Raffi.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Morrison was right. According to the order of service in the memorial's printed glossy program, after CBS sportscaster Jim Hill and Jerry Buss' son Johnny, longtime friend Frank Mariani was slated to speak at the hour-long memorial for the beloved Lakers owner who died this week at age 80. Instead, the audience got Tomlinson.

Link to full article

I don't see what the big deal is....He represented somebody of how Dr. Buss was able to connect to the common fan, the guy who didn't have season tickets nor go to every Laker game, but the person who watched at home. It was a nice touching gesture toward how Dr. Buss reached out toward all Angelenos.
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:

Thank you for posting this, raffi. It broke my heart when the camera would pan over to Jeanie and she would be crying. What a wonderful woman I know her father was and always will be very proud of her

Pau Gasol is nice
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Manny450r wrote:
I missed it is there anyway I can download it some where

THIS! Anyone?
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remembering the Lost and Celebrating Life

PeterYJXia wrote:
I am from China and I am at a loss of words for the impact that Dr. Jerry Buss and the Los Angeles Lakers has had on my life. He brought all of us, from around the world together, to reach for the skies, to be kind to others and to leave behind a legacy of greatness.

Great first post here!

Welcome!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Remembering the Lost and Celebrating Life

kobe_luver wrote:
PeterYJXia wrote:

Great first post here!

Welcome!!

Yep.

Welcome to LG.
vincentjohn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Manny450r wrote:
I missed it is there anyway I can download it some where

THIS! Anyone?

Most of the speeches are at nba.com/lakers
antdude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Remembering the Lost and Celebrating Life

PeterYJXia wrote:

Welcome! Do a lot of Chinese know who Dr. Buss is? IIRC, Lakers and Kobe are popular over there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vincentjohn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject:

NBA.com/lakers for speeches from Kobe, Magic, Phil, Shaq, Riley, West, Kareem, Stern
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Hey RMurphy_22, This is your 2nd comment taking shots at Jim Buss. Your last comment you said Jim looks like a drunk. I don't think this is the time or place to start beating up or judging Jim. This is a memorial for his father. His father just passed away. Have a little respect. Especially in this thread.

Lol, ok buddy. Just commentary relax.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson Speech

Kobe Bryant Speech

Jerry West Speech

Phil Jackson Speech

Kareem Speech

Shaquille Oneal Speech

Pat Riley Speech

David Stern Speech
Lakersarethebesteva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Wondering why that guy wore green to Dr. Buss funeral....thats so strange.
lakerfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Is the services on YouTube by any chance?
antdude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakersarethebesteva wrote:
Who? He must be a Celtics fan. Argh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakersarethebesteva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject:

antdude wrote:

Ironically, at the 1:10 minute mark where Magic asks everyone to clap because Jerry Buss wanted to beat the Celtics so badly. They show the entire audience and some guy is dressed all in green....who dresses in green at a funeral and a Dr. Jerry Buss funeral at that?
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if there were a bunch of no-shows but I was surprised at the number of available/open seats. They could have easily accomodated several hundred additional people.

Wondering if they expected a greater # of season ticket holders to RSVP.
antdude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject:

antdude wrote:

Ironically, at the 1:10 minute mark where Magic asks everyone to clap because Jerry Buss wanted to beat the Celtics so badly. They show the entire audience and some guy is dressed all in green....who dresses in green at a funeral and a Dr. Jerry Buss funeral at that?
LOL. No clues. I wonder if anyone told him about his green color. Maybe he was being a troll!
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Beautiful Memorial Service for the Great Dr. Jerry Buss today!

Not gonna lie when Randy Newman started singing "You Got a Friend in Me" with the pictures of Jerry in the background I kinda lost it .

Still so very sad about Dr. Buss' passing.
But like Magic said its time to stop being so sad and it's time to celebrate the life of the great Dr. Buss.

We will never forget you GOAT. Rest in Paradise

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21
Jump to: