JERRY BUSS MEMORIAL SERVICE 2/21/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Watching now, the impact the Lakers had on my life man, you don't realize it until now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I noticed Magic and Kobe didn't have any notes they spoke from their hearts. Magic knocked it out of the park.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loanman_316
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject:

no issue if jim wanted a person to speak on behalf of the fans. but i do find it a bit odd that he wasnt even listed as a scheduled speaker. it didnt help that his speech went on longer than anyone and something seemed off. but i will give jim the benefit of the doubt. he just lost his dad and as a person who lost his mom while i was in my teens and my dad in my 20's i understand that your mind can become a bit overwhelmed.
Balki Bartokomous
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject:

loanman_316 wrote:
no issue if jim wanted a person to speak on behalf of the fans. but i do find it a bit odd that he wasnt even listed as a scheduled speaker. it didnt help that his speech went on longer than anyone and something seemed off. but i will give jim the benefit of the doubt. he just lost his dad and as a person who lost his mom while i was in my teens and my dad in my 20's i understand that your mind can become a bit overwhelmed.

You mean to say Joe Blow's memorium speech was lengthier than the Great Logo's or Riles? I suppose most of us would have preferred to have that time allotted to hear from Big Game or another Laker Legend who didn't speak?
Lakers Valley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject:

something was definitely off about that one guy. He kept talking about himself and he didn't even know Jerry like that lol. And the crowd kept clapping towards the end to give him the message to get off the stage but he just kept going ha
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject:

Terrific service!!
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I noticed Magic and Kobe didn't have any notes they spoke from their hearts. Magic knocked it out of the park.

Yeah. Noticed the same thing, J. Even Riles had notes. Magic and Kobe didn't. They both were fantsstic.
kobemania3-16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject:

Kobe & Magic

both talked from their hearts
“It’s silly. It’s absolutely silly. Hopefully, L.A. understands what everything he’s been able to accomplish with this franchise in a very, very competitive sport with some very, very competitive teams. That’s just ridiculous.”
Kobe about Dr. Buss.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah. Noticed the same thing, J. Even Riles had notes. Magic and Kobe didn't. They both were fantsstic.

Kobe was good, but Magic's speech was truly touching. Dr. Buss really was like a father to him.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject:

Seems like Jerry Buss hang out with all the players like family. Now Jimmy...not so sure.
loanman_316
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject:

Balki Bartokomous wrote:
loanman_316 wrote:

You mean to say Joe Blow's memorium speech was lengthier than the Great Logo's or Riles? I suppose most of us would have preferred to have that time allotted to hear from Big Game or another Laker Legend who didn't speak?

no a person to speak on behalf of the fans was fine. just odd the way jim went about it.
LakersJT14
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject:

[May be posted elsewhere] But I would appreciate if anyone knows where I can download or watch the full ceremony. I am a life long Lakers fan, that missed the whole event due to work and also not living in SoCal (no TWC). I would love to just sit down and watch the whole program.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject:

Here are videos for most of the speeches:

Phil Jackson's speech

Kobe Bryant's speech

Shaquille O'neal's speech

Jerry West's speech

Kareem Abdul Jabbar's speech

Pat Riley's speech

Magic Johnson's speech
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject:

The whole program:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

All credits to CaCHooKaManTV
His channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CaCHooKaManTV?feature=watch
LakersJT14
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject:

Awesome thank you! If anyone has the rest of the speeches and/or the full length of the ceremony I would be ecstatic.

SilverBullet wrote:
Here are videos for most of the speeches:

Phil Jackson's speech

Kobe Bryant's speech

Shaquille O'neal's speech

Jerry West's speech

Kareem Abdul Jabbar's speech

Pat Riley's speech

Magic Johnson's speech
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject:

Pat Riley's speech was good at the start.... and then started to ramble.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject:

NBA owes so much to Dr Buss, league was on verge of bankruptcy when he bought in, today is more profitable than ever. There would have been no expansion, no Miami Heat etc there wouldnt be the "Dream Team", NBA TV and he allowed the NBA to create rules to stop the Lakers from winning, the Salary Cap, the Luxury Tax, the more punitive Luxury Tax and revenue sharing.

The Lakers have continued to win and succeed despite the NBA's best efforts to stop them, he was the reason the NBA is what it is today, he will be missed but his legacy will never die.

GO LAKERS !!!
KiKosDad
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject:

I felt and was moved by what Phil Jackson has said...

Quote:
Unceasing change
turns wheels of life
so reality isn't shown
in all its many forms.
Dwell peacefully,
as change itself liberates all sencient beings
and brings him great joy.

Quote:

we are here to reach, receive and recognize
that unceasing change and to express our lost
but also to celebrate a life
that was a diamond
of great value.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject:

Laker Pau Gasol Remembers Jerry Buss
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject:

Magic is the GOAT. That speech is part of why I always will love that man, no matter how many things he says on ESPN/TV that I disagree with. No one can carry a show like Magic, part of what made Magic what he is, that personality. He didn't have any notes, it all came from the heart.

Great service.

Shaq was funny, yet sincere and I liked it.
Phil was Phil, but you saw he got emotional at the end.
Kobe spoke from the heart, you could sense that.

Just a great all around memorial.

What a deserved event for Dr Buss.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject:

One thing I came away with is the pleas for the Buss children not to sell the team, to keep it a family business. Dr Buss's wishes were made public with feelings that resonated with such passion I'm on the side of it having a affect on the Buss children.

I still can't watch the video of Magic's speech without misting.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:

Text from Kareem's speech.

Quote:
My Eulogy for Dr. Buss

To me, the mark of a great man is not the towering monuments he’s built during his life, but the tender memories he’s left in those who remain after his life.

The fact that so many of us have come together to celebrate those tender memoriesof Jerry Buss is a testament to his greatness.

Today you will hear about his many virtues and accomplishments, both as a businessman and a family man. Rightfully so.

Jerry changed the face of professional basketball and made it possible for players like myself, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and Kobe Bryant to play to our potential and bring championship trophies to Los Angeles.

Jerry embraced life with the same enthusiasm and energy that Magic embraced me when we beat the Clippers in his first NBA game. You know what I’m talking about.

This passion for life made Jerry a modern Renaissance Man. He was a beloved college professor, a courageous entrepreneur, and a generous philanthropist. No matter what he did, he was a success. Perhaps his greatest quality was his willingness to share his success with everyone else.

When I think of Jerry, I like to picture him at his beloved poker table where he had great success in several major tournaments. I think of him sitting there with the world’s best poker players, staring them down, and suddenly pushing all his chips into the middle and declaring with a twinkle in his eye, “All in!” That’s the way Jerry lived his life. All in, all the time.

John Steinbeck once said, “It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” But I think in the case of Jerry Buss, we will all be enjoying the bright light he cast for many years to come.

~Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

LINK
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject:

In case anyone has not watched Dr. Buss' HOF induction speech

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike Bresnahan @Mike_Bresnahan

Quote:
Lakers owner Jerry Buss was laid to rest this morning at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills.

Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject:

great speeches all around. i felt a sense of greed that i never got the chance to meet him.

then you look at his accomplishments and it just makes you want to do something. just help someone, run a marathon, feed the poor, teach someone how to read, i dont know.....just make a mark in the world

truly inspiring. good people really do exist.

something that id forgotten
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21
Jump to: