LAKERS -at- SUNS - 5/2 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_b_belmont
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

Know it hurt you to type that recap, DB. But thanks for it anyway.

Got to get this one out of our system, quickly. Ugly in every sense of the word. We ABSOLUTELY cannot go back to Phoenix for a Game 7, it'll be impossible for us to win there.

Hope that punk (bleep) Raja Bell is suspended for Game 6, that was a cheap, cheap shot. Could've really hurt Kobe badly.

But we've seen this script before: Emotional overtime victory in Game 4 of a playoff series, followed by blowout loss in Game 5....

I expect the boys to come ready to play, Raja or no Raja.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

As I mentioned on another thread, I believe the Raja incident was premeditated well before game time. I'll even go as far as to say it's probable that his earlier exaggerated flops were an attempt to pre-justify his clothesline. The repercussions are not necessarily biased towards helping the Lakers:

1) Game 6 was likely going to be loud and emotional anyway. We fans didn't need this extra shot of espresso.

2) Phoenix lives by the jump shot, and getting into the penalty. In this series, the Laker advantage has been using size to score inside. If the refs are instructed to blow early whistles on anything resembling contact, then the inside scoring team will be at a disadvantage... particularly if the team specializing in getting into the penalty executes the flop. This Sun team led the league in FTs made and FT%, and their flops have sapped this Laker team of both energy and the desire to go inside.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
BTW, I forgot to mention that Odom was @#$%! pissed after Kobe got taken down.

I expect him to have a huge game . . .

Yeah I saw him go over to Bell and was cussing him out. Kwame came in and stopped him.

Good to see LO showing some leadership. But out of all people to defend Kobe, I wanted LO not to do it.

We need one of the scrubs to have taken a tough foul on Nash. Even if it meant getting suspended. LO is the 2nd best player in this series, and we can't have him knocking a Suns player out (and thus a suspension)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

Great recap DB. Turiaf needs more minutes. He looked really good last night!
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
As I mentioned on another thread, I believe the Raja incident was premeditated well before game time. I'll even go as far as to say it's probable that his earlier exaggerated flops were an attempt to pre-justify his clothesline. The repercussions are not necessarily biased towards helping the Lakers:

1) Game 6 was likely going to be loud and emotional anyway. We fans didn't need this extra shot of espresso.

2) Phoenix lives by the jump shot, and getting into the penalty. In this series, the Laker advantage has been using size to score inside. If the refs are instructed to blow early whistles on anything resembling contact, then the inside scoring team will be at a disadvantage... particularly if the team specializing in getting into the penalty executes the flop. This Sun team led the league in FTs made and FT%, and their flops have sapped this Laker team of both energy and the desire to go inside.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a Sun who was not a significant contributor do htis as opposed to Raja?

I really feel that you're reaching with your analysis. I think Raja is weak-minded and he cracked. Period. I do think his behavior has been building up to this and the refs have nudged him along because they let him maul Kobe with impunity.

If the refs call even a half-way unbiased game the Lakers will win easily in game 6.

SGH
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a Sun who was not a significant contributor do htis as opposed to Raja?

I really feel that you're reaching with your analysis. I think Raja is weak-minded and he cracked. Period. I do think his behavior has been building up to this and the refs have nudged him along because they let him maul Kobe with impunity.

If the refs call even a half-way unbiased game the Lakers will win easily in game 6.

SGH

It was not a D'Antoni plan; he has more brains than that.

To me it looked like something Bell had worked himself into a frenzy during the series, and had decided either early in the game (or prior to the game, who knows) to bait Kobe. Everyone is aware of the shot Kobe made on Miller. I think that Bell was setting the stage by trying to get under his skin by taking elaborate flops and contact. When became apparent that Kobe wasn't taking the bait, Bell showed his hand by clotheslining Kobe.

The play was premeditated. He even took his eyes off Kobe as he was throwing him down, waiting for a reaction. You don't know (and neither do I for that matter) when he decided to retaliate. But I do think that a game that features quick whistles on slight contact favors the team that: a) Lives on the FT line, b) Favors the jumper, and c) Is threatened most by inside scoring.

For some reason you don't acknowledge that as a problem, though you readily use Kwame as an example of someone who fears going inside or gotten taken out of the game mentally due to flopping.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I could care less about Bell right now...

Quote:

My biggest concern prior to the game was the Lakers needing to match the level of intensity and energy right from the get go. It was there for only one half.

I think these tie-in together... as I mentioned in my opening. We definitely looked lethargic at times, especially Kwame on the boards in the past two games. Bell gives them a shot in the arm.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for a thoughtful and interesting review. I watched the game and missed or forgot a lot of these things.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I could care less about Bell right now...

Quote:

My biggest concern prior to the game was the Lakers needing to match the level of intensity and energy right from the get go. It was there for only one half.

I think these tie-in together... as I mentioned in my opening. We definitely looked lethargic at times, especially Kwame on the boards in the past two games. Bell gives them a shot in the arm.

That's okay though. Any kind of energy that Barbosa, Diaw, or Marion on Bryant defensively won't do much.

I just hope the young Laker team knows that Thursday is knock-out day.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Talk about a roller-coaster ride!!... Yeah, baby!!... We go from the bright sun, of potential bling-bling, to the dark nights, that try men's souls.... Some say that sports builds character... Others say that sports reveals character... Well, I say that both are true... Sports can be an integral part of the developmental process. It all depends, on the mentors, the teachers, and the challenges faced.

We've seen it all, this season. We weren't even expected to get this far, so, in spite of everything, I have to be satisfied. We've seen this team rise to the occasion. We've seen them perform, together, as a team. We've also seen this team's weaknesses, and failings, and they mirror our own failings, and victories. Whatever happens, we couldn't ask for any more than we've already got... Whatever else we get, will just be "icing-on-the-cake".

I have the sense, that Phil has gotten the team to do the right things, but the reason why we do certain things, may be eluding certain key players. This is still a young team, subject to all the temptations and vicissitudes of youth. We have a decent foundation, on which to build a championship team, for the future.
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, this was a horrible game. Lakers needed to come out with intensity in this one and finish the suns off. Its dangerous to give the suns any reason to hope, they're too good and experienced and we're still a young team. I agree with previous assesments that the early foul trouble on our front line threw us off for the rest of the game.

The lakers need to cut the head off this phoenix suns snake as quick as possible on thursday, we need to just crush them by crashing the boards and attacking the paint and we also need to be quicker on our defensive rotations - I hate seeing a slow little guy with no lift like nash just waltz in and make a layup - that @#$% has to stop.

and bell's an idiot - its written all over his face.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
We definitely looked lethargic at times, especially Kwame on the boards in the past two games. Bell gives them a (bleep) in the arm.
Considering that nobody expected this young Lakers team to realistically win (as they will), with the young Lakers just realizing/learning how much energy it takes (physically/mentally/spiritually) to win games, dealing with "close-out" games / opposing team's playing desperate doing anything to win and winning two consecutive games on the road - we've (they) come a LONG WAY! PJ played it smart by using the last game to give greatly needed PT to McKie/JJ/Turiaff - as they will be needed in the near future.

Anybody have any doubts that the Lakers will be focused and filled with the needed energy to win Game 6 - not I!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject:

We still have homecourt advantadge
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: