GameFlow - May 4 - Old Habits

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: GameFlow - May 4 - Old Habits

Phoenix 126 LA Lakers 118
1st round series tied 3-3

GameFlow
BoxScore

Instead of resembling the confident, smooth running machine that they had of late, the Lakers looked very much like they had most of the season; nervous, unsure, worried too much about offense, forgetting about defense, relying too much on Kobe, etc. They results are obvious. They shot 55% but allowed the Suns to shoot 57%. They hit just 68% of 22 free throws. They committed 20 turnovers.

And yet, even with all that they still should have gotten a win tonight. They should have a ticket to the second round of the playoffs. Kobe Bryant made a 3-pointer at 1:47 of the 4th quarter, and then a layup at 0:29. That completed a 16-8 run that gave them one of their few leads of the night.

Leading by three and with a foul to give, I was shouting at them to camp out at the 3-point line to prevent the 3-pointer. When Steve Nash went down the lane I said let him go. Instead the Lakers pointlessly contested the interior, leaving Tim Thomas open for the 3 to tie the game. The OT was all Phoenix.

Lakers lines
  • Kobe Bryant: 50 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 7 turnovers
  • Lamar Odom: 22 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists, 5 turnovers
  • Kwame Brown: 17 points, 9 rebounds
  • Devean George: 14 points

Phoenix lines
  • Steve Nash: 32 points, 13 assists
  • Shawn Marion: 20 points, 12 rebounds
  • Tim Thomas: 21 points, 10 rebounds
  • Boris Diaw: 19 points, 7 assists
  • Leandro Barbosa: 22 points

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GameFlow - May 4 - Old Habits

PopcornMachine wrote:
Leading by three and with a foul to give, I was shouting at them to camp out at the 3-point line to prevent the 3-pointer. When Steve Nash went down the lane I said let him go. Instead the Lakers pointlessly contested the interior, leaving Tim Thomas open for the 3 to tie the game. The OT was all Phoenix.

I was thinking the same thing. Defend against the three...Defend against the three... Give them two... When Nash missed that wide open three with 11 on the clock that he should have never gotten...we should have escaped. But noooo.
JayInLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject:

I think I just threw-up a little in my mouth. We should have won that game with stats like that from our big three. I can't take this (bleep) anymore. I'm a (bleep) nervous wreak, lol.

*listens to Linken Park*

*Slashes wrist*
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject:

They lost this game because of the play of Smush Parker. But I can't really put all the blame the kid. It was obvious to everyone but Phil that his mind was fried and should have been subbed him out for George, Mckie, or Sasha, but I think PJ's stubborness and ego got the best of him.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Smush is not playing well, but you can't put it all on him.

They scored enough points to win, but they (I mean the whole team) didn't play very much defense.

A few more free throws would have been nice.

And 12 turnovers by Kobe and Lamar is a killer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

We shouldn't switch on the pick and roll. Let Nash shoot or drive to the hole. The rest of their team doesn't get involved and he uses a lot more energy scoring than passing.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
Smush is not playing well, but you can't put it all on him.

They scored enough points to win, but they (I mean the whole team) didn't play very much defense.

A few more free throws would have been nice.

And 12 turnovers by Kobe and Lamar is a killer.

I don't put it all on Smush, but 2 points from a starting point guard? And no defense? That doesn't get it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: