Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"

DMArtestQB wrote:
Hmmm. I didn't know the clippers won 50 games for the first time in their whole franchise existence. Wow. I was with some clips fans and they was celebrating like they went 72-10. It's sad how the media says clips took over LA. IMO lakers could have 20 losing seasons in a row LA is still laker country. And this is coming from a spurs fan. You can't dismiss history for one season. Smh. Sorry for the rant.

I knew there was a reason I always liked you.
beingmeb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"

DMArtestQB wrote:
Hmmm. I didn't know the clippers won 50 games for the first time in their whole franchise existence. Wow. I was with some clips fans and they was celebrating like they went 72-10. It's sad how the media says clips took over LA. IMO lakers could have 20 losing seasons in a row LA is still laker country. And this is coming from a spurs fan. You can't dismiss history for one season. Smh. Sorry for the rant.

Actually, a case can be made that the Spurs are the Lakers' second greatest rival, only behind Boston. With the 4 championships they have won, all the times they have met the Lakers in the playoffs, and knocking the Lakers out a couple of times it makes sense.
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject:

This level of insecurity is real sad among Lakers fans. If you truly were secure in the 17 championships and constant success you wouldn't even discuss this kind of crap. I mean Lakers fans started that crap where they go to our games like bandwagoners, then go on the postgame show chanting "Clippers suck". What kind of insecure losers do that kind of crap? If you think the Clippers suck stop fu**ing going to the Clippers games.

1. Yes it's a Lakers town and always will be most likely.

2. People DO care about the Clippers which is why they are constantly in the news, just because you say nobody cares won't make it true.

3. Sure like any team that blows up there will be bandwagoners but as a whole Clippers fans are easily among the most knowledgeable and loyal in the NBA. Whenever I run into Clippers fans, they know their sh**, bandwagon or not. Can't say the same for the average Joe Lakers fan on the street. The team has sold out 3 straight years now and even when they were atrocious had league average attendance. Compare that with teams like the Hawks and Heat that still can't fill games and never have really.

4. Not sure where you're seeing all Clippers fans celebrating like they accomplished something huge. I know on all the Clippers forums for example most Clippers fans are very disappointed in the team right now and surely aren't bragging about anything. Expectations have been raised too much to give a crap about 50 wins. I personally see it as a stepping stone but nothing worth noting really. Good teams aren't judged by the regular season but by the playoffs. Better to win 48 games and get to the WCF than to win 60 games and be out in the first round.

5. The Clippers team and fans should not be punished because the media keeps trying to shove this topic down your throats. Whenever asked about it Clippers players and coaches immediately say they can't compare and there is no rivalry. Yet of course you guys run with the media's take on this and blast the Clippers themselves.
Jack Nicholson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject:

I bet Clippers fans can't wait to see that pacific division title hanging up in the rafters at Staples. Their franchise's crowning achievement.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject:

Dr Dunkingstein wrote:
This level of insecurity is real sad among Lakers fans. If you truly were secure in the 17 championships and constant success you wouldn't even discuss this kind of crap. I mean Lakers fans started that crap where they go to our games like bandwagoners, then go on the postgame show chanting "Clippers suck". What kind of insecure losers do that kind of crap? If you think the Clippers suck stop fu**ing going to the Clippers games.

I don't think there is much insecurity. The person who started this thread isn't even a Laker fan. He just finds it humorous that Clipper fans seem to think there is some rivalry. There isn't. They are the little brother, they will always be the little brother, and there is absolutely nothing that will ever change that.

Quote:
1. Yes it's a Lakers town and always will be most likely.

Scratch the most likely. Seriously, if you refuse to admit the certainty of it, at least insert "in our lifetimes" because there is no way the Clippers will approach the Lakers' success any time soon, if ever.

Quote:
2. People DO care about the Clippers which is why they are constantly in the news, just because you say nobody cares won't make it true.

Sure, people care about the Clippers. Doesn't mean there's a rivalry. Doesn't mean they matter in the overall scope of things as far as LA is concerned. I don't see what you're trying to prove.

Quote:
3. Sure like any team that blows up there will be bandwagoners but as a whole Clippers fans are easily among the most knowledgeable and loyal in the NBA. Whenever I run into Clippers fans, they know their sh**, bandwagon or not. Can't say the same for the average Joe Lakers fan on the street. The team has sold out 3 straight years now and even when they were atrocious had league average attendance. Compare that with teams like the Hawks and Heat that still can't fill games and never have really.

Huh? The Hawks are in an absolutely awful market, but the Heat sell out. They also attract the second highest average road attendancce in the NBA (behind the Lakers). Their fans jumped on the bandwagon just as Clipper "fans" have. Speaking from personal experience, people have gone to Clipper games to see other teams play, as Clipper tickets are substantially cheaper than Laker tickets, and the difference was even bigger a few years ago.

As for the most knowledgeable fans, I'd wager to bet that there are far more knowledgeable Laker fans than there are Clipper fans. The fact of the matter is that the Lakers are such an immensely popular team/brand, that they attract many new fans as well. If this forum is any indication, Laker fans are some of the most intelligent and well spoken in all of sports. Doesn't mean that we don't have our fair share of idiots, but I am quite proud of our fanbase.

Quote:
4. Not sure where you're seeing all Clippers fans celebrating like they accomplished something huge. I know on all the Clippers forums for example most Clippers fans are very disappointed in the team right now and surely aren't bragging about anything. Expectations have been raised too much to give a crap about 50 wins. I personally see it as a stepping stone but nothing worth noting really. Good teams aren't judged by the regular season but by the playoffs. Better to win 48 games and get to the WCF than to win 60 games and be out in the first round.

There are Clipper forums? In any case, I don't visit any to check what the fans are talking about, but some members of the team are talking about raising a division banner in Staples. At least Blake Griffin realized how silly that idea was...

Quote:
5. The Clippers team and fans should not be punished because the media keeps trying to shove this topic down your throats. Whenever asked about it Clippers players and coaches immediately say they can't compare and there is no rivalry. Yet of course you guys run with the media's take on this and blast the Clippers themselves.

We don't blast anyone. We make fun of the Clippers, because they have been the joke of the NBA for decades. They have NEVER had a good fanbase until very recently. When something like that happens, many of the new fans are discounted as bandwagoners. If you were a Clipper fan back in the days of Ron Harper or Lamond Murray, I applaud you and congratulate you on your team's limited success, but you must understand that the majority of your peers couldn't name a single player who played for the Clips in the 90s.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject:

More bad information, can't say I'm surprised considering I'm on a forum known for elitist pricks (similar to Spurs talk). "We laugh at the Clippers" is just an idiotic statement in itself. You know your team is historically superior, what do you gain out of bagging on a lesser organization? You need to humble yourself. I'm not going to say the Lakers will be better for eternity or own the city because if the Lakers go through 15-20 years of being significantly worse, while the Clippers become a perennial title contender, it can change eventually, as unlikely as that may be.

Okay I should correct myself regarding the Heat. They sell out as in tickets.. but the arenas are RARELY packed. Multiple nationally televised Heat games this year we see huge empty spots in the stands in Miami. The point was the Clippers have a huge fanbase that has sold out 3 consecutive seasons now at home and has been top 5 road attendance that whole time.

You can argue that some of that is bandwagon but again that applies to all contending teams and the number of bangwagon fans we have is still less than what OKC and Memphis took on in recent years. I have only run into maybe 2-3 Clippers fans that didn't know what they were talking about. I run into 2-3 Lakers fans a week at least that have no clue about the team and can't name any players outside of your stars.

I don't think you understand what a bandwagon fan is TBH. It's not a new fan. It's somebody who just jumps on the wagon when they are doing well and bails when they aren't. There are a ton of new Clippers fans but they at least care about the team and keep up on it. Age, time as a fan etc doesn't have anything to do with your knowledge or dedication to the team.

I'm a 16+ year Clippers fan and I readily accept all newcomer fans as long as they don't bail when the going gets tough and as long as they brush up on the history of the team.

Again you keep repeating the rivalry thing as if it's fans or the team discussing it when it's 99 percent he media trying to make something of nothing. No Clippers fan I know (I know hundreds personally) calls it an actual rivalry and no player on the team calls it a rivalry. So stop pulling things out of your ass to fuel an imaginary fire.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject:

!...
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject:

I just double checked the attendance records for the Clippers for the last decade or more and they are pretty amazing considering the failures of the team in the recent past.

02: Team won 39 games, missed playoffs. 3rd in the NBA in attendance percentage of capacity, 13th in total attendance.

03: Team won just 27 games, missed playoffs. 3rd in percentage again, 14th in total attendance.

04: Team won 28 games, missed playoffs. 3rd in percentage, 19th in attendance.

05: Team won 37 games, missed playoffs. 3rd in percentage, 17th in attendance.

06: Team won 47 games, made the playoffs. Came within 1 game of the WCF. 3rd in percentage, 13th in overall attendance.

07: Team won 40 games, missed the playoffs. 3rd in percentage, 11th in attendance.

08: Team won 23 games, missed playoffs. 3rd in percentage, 19th in attendance.

09: Team won 19 games, worst year in franchise history. 21st in percentage, 22nd in attendance.

10: Team won 29 games. 21st in percentage, 21st in attendance.

11: Team won 32 games. 13th in percentage, 15th in attendance.

12: Team won 40 games (out of 66) and got to second round. 5th in percentage, 7th in attendance.

13: Team on pace for 53-54 wins. 6th in percentage, 6th in attendance.

Here are a couple facts we can take from this.

1. As a whole even in "mediocre" years the Clippers fans showed up at league average or better attendance, despite zero chance at the playoffs. The only times there was a huge drop in attendance was in the absolute low of low years which would happen with pretty much any team that wins 19 games and had been sinking for 3-4 years.

2. The Clippers obviously got a boost from Chris Paul's addition which would happen to any team that adds a superstar. Although you can't fairly say which fans that went more were bandwagon or not. I know personally I'd prefer to go to a Clippers game now than 5 years ago and that doesn't make me less of a fan because of it. Why spend let's say 150 bucks for an average ticket, parking etc knowing that your team has a 10 percent chance of winning every night?

Still support the team 100 percent but less likely to go to games in person.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
More bad information, can't say I'm surprised considering I'm on a forum known for elitist pricks (similar to Spurs talk). "We laugh at the Clippers" is just an idiotic statement in itself. You know your team is historically superior, what do you gain out of bagging on a lesser organization? You need to humble yourself. I'm not going to say the Lakers will be better for eternity or own the city because if the Lakers go through 15-20 years of being significantly worse, while the Clippers become a perennial title contender, it can change eventually, as unlikely as that may be.

You're damn right that we laugh at the Clippers. Have you ever heard of the term "laughingstock" with regards to the Clippers? It's in the dictionary. I think the Clippers logo is next to it.

And sorry, when one team has a history of continued success spanning 60 years, while the other has a history of continued failure spanning almost as long, it's safe to say that the latter will never overcome the former. I even avoided saying "never" to make you feel better, and simply stated that it would not happen in our lifetime. Unless you think the Clippers can run off 16 championships in the next 50 years.

Quote:
Okay I should correct myself regarding the Heat. They sell out as in tickets.. but the arenas are RARELY packed. Multiple nationally televised Heat games this year we see huge empty spots in the stands in Miami. The point was the Clippers have a huge fanbase that has sold out 3 consecutive seasons now at home and has been top 5 road attendance that whole time.

The Heat sell out their games too. I don't understand what you trying to argue here. Are you talking about empty seats that are purchase but not filled? If so, the Clippers have plenty of those themselves.

Quote:
You can argue that some of that is bandwagon but again that applies to all contending teams and the number of bangwagon fans we have is still less than what OKC and Memphis took on in recent years. I have only run into maybe 2-3 Clippers fans that didn't know what they were talking about. I run into 2-3 Lakers fans a week at least that have no clue about the team and can't name any players outside of your stars.

I don't think you understand what a bandwagon fan is TBH. It's not a new fan. It's somebody who just jumps on the wagon when they are doing well and bails when they aren't. There are a ton of new Clippers fans but they at least care about the team and keep up on it. Age, time as a fan etc doesn't have anything to do with your knowledge or dedication to the team.

OKC did not have a basketball team until very, very recently. A team moving there happened to coincide with Kevin Durant being drafted, so the fans were lucky in that regard. It's tough (and EXTREMELY hypocritical on your part) to call their fans bandwagoners, especially given that we have no idea what sort of support they would have shown if the team had underachieved.

As for the Clippers, they have been around for quite a while and not attracted many new fans. Attracting new fans is fine, but when a mass of fans join right as a team has a bit of success, it's fair to assume that many of them jumped on the bandwagon. These aren't all young fans just finding a team to root for. Many of these fans have been basketball fans for a while (hence the knowledge you seem so proud of), but only became Clipper fans when they began to win some games. That's the definition of a bandwagon fan.

Finally -There is no imaginary fire. The only person getting butthurt here is you, because what Laker fans say/think seems to really matter to you, hence your presence on this forum. Laker fans are far less concerned with what Clipper fans have to say.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"

DMArtestQB wrote:

You will see how it is tomorrow during the game, if the Lakers are winning those same Clipper fans who boo us will immediately become Laker fans..they will chant MVP for Kobe and cheer us on..that is because most Clipper fans are bandwagon fans
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject:

I read this forum, mainly for the NBA Dish section. This forum has been around a long time and usually posts news before a lot of places. I came on the Lakers section to see if a game thread for tomorrow was up yet, not that I need to explain myself.

Nothing is more ironic than a Lakers fan (known among ALL sports fans to contain more bandwagoners than any other fanbase, including the Celtics) calling out Clippers fans as being bangwagoners. It's just really funny and I'm sure some Lakers fans here see the humor in the accusation.

I posted the attendance records for you which proved my point that even in bad seasons fans showed up at an above average rate consistently. So keep putting your own foot in your mouth and stay getting schooled. I'm just going to let you know right now you're making this argument favorable to me. Why? Because you're making it about the Clippers specifically, something you don't stand a chance against me with in an argument. I've dedicated a huge part of the last nearly 20 years to my team.

A bunch of mislead, delusional statements backed up by your buddies doesn't mean it's valid or logical in the least. Some of the things you're saying are so off base, illogical and unfair that I'm sure others here are shaking their head at you. Just doesn't seem like a mature person to discuss basketball with that makes statements like "It's fun to laugh at the Clippers" etc. That sounds more like a 20 year old kid that's in over his head and grasping at straws. I'm a nice guy who doesn't hold a grudge so you can bow out anytime you want because I'm not trying to ether you anymore.
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"

LakerFanAlways wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

You will see how it is tomorrow during the game, if the Lakers are winning those same Clipper fans who boo us will immediately become Laker fans..they will chant MVP for Kobe and cheer us on..that is because most Clipper fans are bandwagon fans

Uh what? Those chants are from cheap Lakers fans who choose to attend Clippers home games. It's not just LA vs LA games either. Lakers bandwagoners regularly attend our games, wearing Lakers gear and all.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject:

I remember when clippers commercials would promote tans to come see the other team's all star. Tickets were always cheaper, and not too long ago, even free. I got a few of them for friends off a slickdeals post. pre cp3.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject:

Get a little success and they try and act so bold.

!...
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject:

You're presuming that the attendees were actually Clippers' fans. Which is stupidness. I've attended several Clippers' games (whether on my own dime or as an invitee of a business with tix), just to watch the other damn team play. I enjoy watching basketball in person - doesn't mean I'm a Clippers' fan . Lakers' tickets are not inexpensive. Sterling is just, well, until he inherited some good players (looking at you, CP3), co-opting the Lakers' and other teams' fanbases. To state otherwise is silliness, IMO. So, I suppose, good for the piece of (bleep) that is Sterling. He's made a mint whether his team was awful or not.

The only kind word I'll state about Sterling is that he helped Doc purchase the Lakers. That's it.
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject:

I agree that not all of them were Clippers fans. Obviously you can safely assume the majority of attending fans are fans of that team though. In the "big games" of course Clippers fans may be outnumbered in previous years but you play significantly more games against not good teams than cream of the crop, or ultra popular teams like the Lakers and Knicks. You can't tell me that let's say the Wizards were drawing more non Clippers fans in our games. Not to mention I go to games every year and haven't missed a Clippers game for over a decade really so I can safely say whether or not the games were dominated by other fans or ours. The only teams that have ever drawn MORE fans at our home games have been the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls.

This is due to tons of Chicago and Boston transplants in LA and the fact that obviously it's a Lakers town. Still embarrassing but if those are the only 3 teams and you're a 20 win team, not that big of a deal. Now even Lakers vs Clippers games on the Lakers home court this year have been split. Don't forget when we beat you by 24 going into ASW CP3 got MVP chants for a designated Lakers home game. Not to mention we got nearly as many cheers in general. LA sports fans in general are pretty damn fickle for the most part obviously.

My only point was it's ignorant to call Clippers fans bandwagoners. Considering the fact that we've tolerated the worst history of any team in all of sports and the worst owner arguably, more respect is deserved for sticking around. It takes a real mental fortitude to stick through the years.

Last edited by Dr Dunkingstein on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject:

Sports version of Stockholm Syndrome?

!...
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject:

You're not trying to ether Jeffs anymore? Good. I don't recall any ethering of any sort, to the complete contrary IMO, but it's nice to see you leave.

Go cry on Clipper Joe's pillow and ask him for help on how to form a cogent, sensical argument. You make Clipper Joe look like a damn genius.
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
You're not trying to ether Jeffs anymore? Good. I don't recall any ethering of any sort, to the complete contrary IMO, but it's nice to see you leave.

Go cry on Clipper Joe's pillow and ask him for help on how to form a cogent, sensical argument. You make Clipper Joe look like a damn genius.

What's done is done. Jeff brought a knife to a gunfight and lost. Console him some more if you need, I just came here to put down some bogus claims. I guess ignorance is really bliss. Let's talk about how Lakers fans were predicting championship this year and running at the mouth but might not even make the playoffs this year. That would make for a great thread.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"

Dr Dunkingstein wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

Uh what? Those chants are from cheap Lakers fans who choose to attend Clippers home games. It's not just LA vs LA games either. Lakers bandwagoners regularly attend our games, wearing Lakers gear and all.

lol "cheap Lakers fans." I used to go to clipper home games when they played the Lakers. Its not b/c im cheap, but b/c i just cant afford to go to many Laker home games. Living off school loans is no joke.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject:

Dr Dunkingstein wrote:
I agree that not all of them were Clippers fans. Obviously you can safely assume the majority of attending fans are fans of that team though.

ORLY?

Why would anyone assume that unless one were abjectly stupid?
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Lakers vs Clippers "rivalry"

27 wrote:
Dr Dunkingstein wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

lol "cheap Lakers fans." I used to go to clipper home games when they played the Lakers. Its not b/c im cheap, but b/c i just cant afford to go to many Laker home games. Living off school loans is no joke.

I understand this. I would never make fun of a Lakers fan at a game or anything. As long as you don't run around saying "I only go to Clippers games because they are cheap". If you're ashamed to admit to your Lakers buddies that you enjoy a Clippers game here or there, don't attend. If you want to go on Clippers postgame and chant "Clippers suck" in Lakers gear even though you were rooting for them in the game, don't attend games.

I watch the Lakers on TV and never had as much hatred or disdain for them as a lot of Clippers fans. I also never run around Laker bashing every chance I get like some Lakers fans in this thread are doing. No reason to put down another team because of what the media says or a few bandwagoner says. If that was the case I'd have every right to troll every Lakers fan I encounter because a lot of (bleep) Lakers fans have talked a bunch of trash to me out of the blue.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject:

DR, What is your point? Your franchise is pathetic. Ours isn't. That's why we laugh.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject:

The Clippers are a team in LA?
Dr Dunkingstein
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
DR, What is your point? Your franchise is pathetic. Ours isn't. That's why we laugh.

I agree the franchise is historically pathetic. Not much to discuss or deny. Good thing I don't live in the past and get to enjoy the present and future with the Clippers being among the contenders. The rewards of watching such a historically bad team finally break through are much greater than never knowing what it was like to start from the bottom. I can't expect you to understand though as a Lakers fan.

Those who exalt themselves will be humbled. Those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Last edited by Dr Dunkingstein on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: