Barry Bonds and 715: Do we care?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Barry Bonds and 715: Do we care?

Does anyone really care about Bonds hitting homer number 715 and passing the Babe? I don't, the record is 755, moving up to second on the list hardly warrants that much excitement. Breaking the record is one thing, but I don't see where moving into second place is that noteworthy.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

Nor do I see how a person who's tainted his own career continues to make headlines on major sports networks. Oh, right, one of them is ESPN.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

My coach told us cheaters never prosper.

Looks like coach was wrong.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Does anyone really care about Bonds hitting homer number 715 and passing the Babe? I don't, the record is 755, moving up to second on the list hardly warrants that much excitement. Breaking the record is one thing, but I don't see where moving into second place is that noteworthy.

The thing that might be noteworthy about it is that Ruth hit his 714th back in 1935 (with the Boston Braves), and only once has someone gone beyond it. So yeah, having something - and something as big as a ridiculously high HR number - bypassed just twice in 71 years is noteworthy in my opinion. Doesn't mean I want him to do it though. I was there in SF when he hit #71 in 2001. The place went nuts. I stood there and watched. Said to myself, 'wow, amazing feat', but just could not bring myself to cheer for the guy. Of course, they were playing the Dodgers that night. Shawn Green goes deep twice and they knock the Giants out of the playoff picture. THAT'S what I'll remember from that night.

They brought up Josh Gibson's name on the ESPN game last night, and I had no idea....... 962 career home runs, with 84 in '36 in the Negro Leagues. Also, I'm sure you remember Sadaharu Oh, with 868 in his Japanese league. I played a lot of whiffle ball in my backyard and I'm not certain I ever hit 84 in a season.

(Before someone comes back and says that they were 'just' hit in the negro or japanese leagues... I know. Still, they're amazing numbers)
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

^nice info.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

its only temporary anyway, A-rod or Phat Albert, will get it one day.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

Love that, as I am sitting here at work wearing my Pujols T-shirt.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Yes.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

doesn't really matter cuz i dont think he'll catch aaron.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

Here's the crazy part about that - A-Rod would have to average 45 HRs a year for the next 7+ years to catch Hank. What is he, 31 now? 45 a year until you're 38? I'm not saying he cannot do it, but it puts it into perspective what it takes to reach a record like that - most importantly, longevity and consistency.

As for Pujols, who knows? The guy has had a phenomenal start to his career (215 already?!) But he is on the same pace as A-Rod, really. He'd have to average 42 a year for close to 12 more years. Anything can happen in 12 years. But Pujols has nearly 100 more HRs than Bonds did at this point in his career. And that one he hit in Houston last year still has not landed. Have you seen a guy with power to the opposite field like that? Michael Joseph Piazza could hit the other way with power as well as anyone, but Albert seems to do it so effortlessly. He's got such ridiculously quick hands, you cannot jam him in. And if you try to go outside, he'll dent the right field fence.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:

no.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I honestly do care, and not from a historic standpoint, but for the entertainment value. I don't buy into a lot of these reality shows, but this is more of a guilty pleasure type event. I mean think about it, Bonds is set to hit a HR that will put someone's kids through College, and they might be holding one of thoes "LIAR" or "ROIDS" signs screaming obscene things at him. It is a shame what has become of the game and this historic (yet not record) mark, but as much of a shame as it is...you know you're at least going to be watching for it on Sportscenter.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Bonds fan. And anyone passing Ruth is a major accomplishment. IMO, the Homerun record will always be the Babe's. He means simply too much to the game of baseball.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Melon Tea
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

what kinda crappy sport are you talkin bout?
daxeqtr
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Melon Tea wrote:
what kinda crappy sport are you talkin bout?

Hey, if you don't like the sport then why bother posting in this thread?
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
IMO, the Homerun record will always be the Babe's. He means simply too much to the game of baseball.

Yeah, find the next closest guy on the all-time HR list with 94 career pitching wins and an ERA under 3.00. Ruth would have gone into the HOF as a pitcher if he'd done it full-time.
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject:

One thing about Hank Aaron no one ever remembers or cares to bring up, is that he played in the Negro Leagues for a year and in the Minor Leagues for 2 years prior to even going to the Majors. That's 3 years worth of homeruns that were never recorded. That 755 could easily be 900 had he gone straight to the Major Leagues.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
IMO, the Homerun record will always be the Babe's. He means simply too much to the game of baseball.

Yeah, find the next closest guy on the all-time HR list with 94 career pitching wins and an ERA under 3.00. Ruth would have gone into the HOF as a pitcher if he'd done it full-time.

Consider that the year the Babe hit 60, only two other teams in the league outhomered him, including his own team. Talk about dominance. Not to take anything away from Bonds, but the year he hit 73, every team in the league outhomered him.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Consider that the year the Babe hit 60, only two other teams in the league outhomered him, including his own team. Talk about dominance. Not to take anything away from Bonds, but the year he hit 73, every team in the league outhomered him.

1927 - quite a year for Babe. 60 HRs, .356 avg, 164 RBI. Mixed in 14 outfield assists for good measure. All on a diet of hot dogs and beer, as the fans in Philly pointed out Friday night (a HUGE sign in left field directed at Bonds). I know you started this thread regarding the public's interest in Bonds hitting #715, but it is always more enjoyable to talk about the legend that is George Herman Babe Ruth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: