2013 NBA Draft List Ranked in Order. Edited 6/25
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: 2013 NBA Draft List Ranked in Order. Edited 6/25

This will always be continually in progress. This is the imperfect science. "Do I think player A is better than player B?" "Do I think player can be better than player A?"

6/25 - Added Alex Abrines and Erik Murphy

1. Ben McLemore - Moved to #1 because he doesn't have injury issues. Elite athlete who can shoot and defend may be enough in this draft.
2. Nerlins Noel - Still a DPOY type who could kill as a high post center.
3. Victor Oladipo - No other player like him. Perfect compliment to a ball-dominant PG/PnR offense ready for catch and shoot. Can hide the PG defensively.
4. Alex Len - Best case stronger Jonas Valanuicias
5. Anthony Bennett - Best case Elton Brand with range. Worst case Antoine Walker. Body language issues. Asthma. Still so much skill and athleticism to go with the talent.
6. Trey Burke - Best Case, Better passing Jarrett Jack. Worst case, DJ Augustin
7. C.J. McCollum - I had forgotten he can create shots like Stephen Curry. Almost as quick a release. High IQ, not a natural PG, but think he can come around to being a solid playmaker. Arguably best shot creator in the draft. Bias wants me to put him ahead of Burke because of how well he connects his fundamentals, and has a surprising motor on defense off-the-ball.
8. Michael Carter-Williams - I keep watching tape and keep thinking better passing Grevis Vasquez. Underrated D. Needs jumpshot badly. Killing it in workouts, may be placed ahead of McCollum and arguably Burke at NBA level, despite decision making issues.
9. Otto Porter - High IQ, Tayshaun Prince time. Utilizes flash post well vs. zone defenses. Role player.
10. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - Shooter. Great athlete. Defensive oriented. Would excel next to a ball-dominant PG. Ricky Ledo's toughest matchup during the draft process.
11. Shabazz Muhammad - Just screams Beasley; selfish, drives, athletic, pull up Js.

12. Dennis Schroeder - Best case 8/10 Rondo w/jumpshot. Worst case Darren Collison
13. Ricky Ledo - 1st round talent. Needs the proper environment to develop and discipline his game. Arguably the best ball-handling SG of the draft.
14. Jamaal Franklin - Eddie Jones/Gerald Wallace type. Active, competitive, motor, athletic. May drop in the draft because he doesn't have a definitive position, but neither did Eddie Jones or Gerald Wallace.
15. Glen Rice Jr. - I think he's an overrated athlete, but is just quick enough, jumps just high enough, and is just fast enough, like his father. Doesn't have his dad's post game or pure touch, but is more adept at attacking the basket and playing off-the-ball.

16. Allen Crabbe - Shooter, and hits under duress. Nice SG size.
17. Erick Green - Shot creator. Self-made PG/SG, creates in Iso situations. Fast on the break. Excellent PG size and wingspan. Can hit in spot ups, off the dribble, and has a floater in progress.
18. Sergei Karasev - The SG version of Toni Kukoc, right down to how he drives and shoots 3s.
19. Archie Goodwin - Athletic playmaking SG, needs a more refined jumpshot, instead of a shotput. Excellent defensive potential. Left school early without coach's blessing.
20. Nemanja Nedovic - Underrated athletic PG. Can hang with quickness/speed/vert with the best. Great shot form, percentages will come. Explosive finisher. Needs a better midrange game. Can execute PnR situations well.
21. Cody Zeller - 7ft player, great hops, great motor. Average wingspan affects his game on the block; shots interrupted by bigger players. Excellent in transition and Pick and Pop situations.
22. Rudy Gobert - Absolutely no low post base. Will be pushed around by guards. Next to make up for it with activity, motor, and length on both ends of the floor. Needs a jumpshot from midrange, and has the potential to hit well with good form from the FT line. Aggressive around the hoop.
23. Shane Larkin - #1 athlete of the draft. Puny wingspan. Good enough shooter, quick to the basket. Dana Barros.
24. Tony Mitchell - Tyrus Thomas/Kenyon Martin
25. Tony Snell - Josh Howard. SF/SG. Underrated. Not flashy, but solid shooter, wingspan, defender, rebounder; midrange game. Attacks the basket.
26. Tim Hardaway Jr. - Defender. Shooter. Aaron Afflalo.
27. Solomon Hill - Ron Artest. Needs to make sure his jumper is square. So aggressive attacking the basket. Great defensive IQ. Excellent post base.

28. Steven Adams - Raw talent is flying up the charts in scouts minds, but I think he's still raw, even if he showed well during workouts.
29. Livio Jean Charles
30. Isaiah Canaan - Norris Cole-type. Used to being a #1 option. Just a killer midrange/3pt shooter. Strongest PG of the draft hands down.
31. Gorgui Dieng - More polished Samuel Dalembert. Skinny. Quick. Better midrange game and court awareness. Very basic post game.
32. Jeff Withey - Best NCAA shotblocker; disciplined, excellent timing instead of explosiveness. Good footwork and basic post moves. Nice touch.
33. Kelly Olynyk - He's a SG in a C frame. Would excel on a transition team; guard-like jumpshot, footwork, touch in the paint. Quick release. Defense and rebounding are question marks.
34. Giannis Adetokumbo - Good athlete, massive hands, massive wingspan. Base set of triple threat skills to drive, pass, shoot, but at a lower competition level. Undefined position at the NBA level, Point PF? Point SF? Project player.

35. Mike Muscala - Spencer Hawes. All the moves in the paint. Jumpshot out to 20'. Straight line drives. Needs to build a stronger base. High IQ.
36. Reggie Bullock - Shooter/defender; role player
37. Jackie Carmichael - A lesser Buck Williams type. Points in the paint, hustle, rebounding, strong picks.
38. CJ Leslie - Outside of Shane Larkin, the athlete of the draft. QUestion mark about his motor and definitive skills, but has all of the physical tools to be a successful NBA player.

39. Nate Wolters - Goran Dragic. What he doesn't have in footspeed he makes up for in advanced NBA ball-handling and spot up set shooting. NBA work ethic is there. IQ.
40. Lorenzo Brown - Solid PG. Quick. 6'4". Drives, 3pt. range, passes well enough. Average.
41. Peyton Siva - 6' PG, elite level athlete. Improved shooting during the workouts. Needs to improve decision-making in Pick and roll situations and finishing with intent.
42. Myck Kabongo - 6'3" PG, wide base to change directions. Shifty playmaking PG needs to add range to draw in his defender. Poor man's Rondo.
43. Ray McCollum - 6'1" Pg, quick, explosive, but not always on display. Plays like a SG; direct pass leads to an assist, notrunning a halfcourt set. Can hit from range or finish with authority. Midrange game and general floor command are opportunities.
44. James Ennis - The Ariza player. Raw athlete, wingspan, motor, striaght line drives. Improving shooter/defender.
45. Pierre Jackson - More Earl Boykins than Nate Robinson. Always finds a way to get a shot off or breakdown the defense.
46. BJ Young - Speed, Strength, Quickness, Defense. Needs to fix jumpshot. Classic SG in PG body, but it is elite PG size. Almost the height and length of Dwyane Wade. Think he should be an early to mid 2nd rounder.
47. Alex Abrines - Spot up shooter, High IQ, defensive intensity. Average athlete at best. Bit of a project SG, light. Laker fans may think of him as The Machine, but has better court vision and a surprising floater. Great role player.
47. Mam Jaiteh - Withdrew from draft?
48. Deshaun Thomas - PF/SF tweener. Scorer with midrange game.
49. Adonis Thomas - Devean George; better physical tools, straight line drives, needs the defense and rebounding to be better.
50. Colton Iverson - Blue collar rebounder finisher; Sacre
51. Brandon Paul - Fallen out of favor in the draft. Has all of the physical tools, has yet to get them all together.
52. Durand Scott - 3pt shooter and ACC DPOY. Solid role player type at a guard spot.
53. Phil Pressey
54. Erik Murphy - Killer spot up shooter, limited post game. Ryan Anderson type, except Anderson has the body to handle position in the post defensively. Murphy is a PF in a skinny SF body.

This is a rough draft ranked list. I don't even like it.

Andre Roberson - Ruben Patterson. Rebounds, defends, motor, transition. Limited ball skills. Limited range.

Durand Scott - ACC Defensive Player of the Year. 6'4" 6'9" wingspan. Average athleticism. Excellent body control. Seems to be able to create off-the-dribble at will. Floater extends to 15'. Not confident with jumpshot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Thu May 18, 2017 7:13 pm; edited 12 times in total
malicious_intent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I think a lottery team takes a chance on Gianni's, shabazz drops to mid first and Schroeder rises
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Porter seems to be missing.

Interesting that you have Zeller so high. I know he tested out well, but he doesn't seem to use it in the actual games.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject:

SHAQ/KOBE=#1 wrote:
Porter seems to be missing.

Interesting that you have Zeller so high. I know he tested out well, but he doesn't seem to use it in the actual games.

That's one of the things I didn't like. The hardest part about making the list is, "do I think the all of the players above are better than the next name I put down?"

It's not a mock at all. I even left out a few international players that are projected to be picked before the Lakers pick. I don't like how low I ranked Erick Green and a few other names. I just think they're underrated.

SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That's one of the things I didn't like. The hardest part about making the list is, "do I think the all of the players above are better than the next name I put down?"

It's not a mock at all. I even left out a few international players that are projected to be picked before the Lakers pick. I don't like how low I ranked Erick Green and a few other names. I just think they're underrated.

Yeah I could never do a list that extensive. But your draft posts are top notch.

You should be writing for DX.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject:

SHAQ/KOBE=#1 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Yeah I could never do a list that extensive. But your draft posts are top notch.

You should be writing for DX.

I truly appreciate the compliment. I'm trying to see if I can cover the Vegas pro league (possibly not just for the Lakers, but all teams. Makes for long days).

It makes it easier to draft for position, because basically, you crank out a list of PFs and PF/C types and rank them. That's maybe 15 names at most.

But, if I'm a franchise, and I'm going into a war room, and I nail this list, all I have to do is cross out the names and see whoever is left at the top. That's what I like about it. That's how Lance Stephenson got picked; #9 on Indiana's list. Great rookie. They created the culture for him to succeed.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I'd put Schroeder higher.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I'd put Schroeder higher.

Definitely understandable. For me, it's difficult to not be biased about his game. Same with Caldwell-Pope and Franklin.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it's hard to draw lines between these players. I wouldn't argue that it's crystal clear Schroeder belongs in the top 10 or something, but if I needed a PG, I think I'd pick him over MCW. A lot of people might think I'm crazy for that though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Yeah, it's hard to draw lines between these players. I wouldn't argue that it's crystal clear Schroeder belongs in the top 10 or something, but if I needed a PG, I think I'd pick him over MCW. A lot of people might think I'm crazy for that though.

I don't. I find it odd to think that MCW has a higher upside, because he's so much taller and has such an incredible vert. I prefer Schroeder over MCW.

What Schroeder doesn't have in vert., he makes up with quickness, nose for the ball, and wingspan; longer wingspan than MCW.

The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I hate Noel. Don't get it.

No offensive skill whatsoever. Can't make a FT. No touch. No moves.

His ceiling is 15/10 with 3 blocks. And I don't think he reaches it.

Give me McLemore, Oladipo, or Burke.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:

Athletic clay, but instinctually, look past the statistics. He's displaying DPOY impact, not just with swats, but steals and boards.

Never was a #1 option on offense. Doesn't need touches to be effective. Scouts become enamored when a guy that raw is that effective on offense. It's not like Ben Wallace where he's afraid of the hoop.

malicious_intent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject:

@ mike what do you think of cleavland taking Noel and possibly adding a healthy oden?
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Athletic clay, but instinctually, look past the statistics. He's displaying DPOY impact, not just with swats, but steals and boards.

Never was a #1 option on offense. Doesn't need touches to be effective. Scouts become enamored when a guy that raw is that effective on offense. It's not like Ben Wallace where he's afraid of the hoop.

Best case is Dikembe. Is that worth a #1 pick? Not for me.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Who would you prefer?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject:

malicious_intent wrote:
@ mike what do you think of cleavland taking Noel and possibly adding a healthy oden?

I'd be all for Noel. Get talented bigmen. Have something the rest of the Eastern Conference doesn't have. Kill Miami with the one thing they don't have. Trade for necessary wing players to improve franchise.

They may go for Bynum, and not just stop at Oden.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject:

malicious_intent wrote:

I'd be all for Noel. Get talented bigmen. Have something the rest of the Eastern Conference doesn't have. Kill Miami with the one thing they don't have. Trade for necessary wing players to improve franchise.

They may go for Bynum, and not just stop at Oden.

malicious_intent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject:

You think they sign both? Will Bynum want to play for brown?
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject:

malicious_intent wrote:
You think they sign both? Will Bynum want to play for brown?

Why not? His best year was under Brown.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

Who would you prefer?

I'd go McLemore. Higher risk, but higher reward. I have a man crush on Oladipo as well, I see some Wade in him. And I think Burke is a gamer and will win ROY.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the great list.

Mike @ LG: It would be a great day if you become one of Lakers' draft evaluators. Maybe sending a CD to Buss will be enough for you to wear purple and gold too.
T3R
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject:

I like Paul, Roberson, BJ Young.
T3R
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject:

limchrc wrote:
Thanks for the great list.

Mike AT LG: It would be a great day if you become one of Lakers' draft evaluators. Maybe sending a CD to Buss will be enough for you to wear purple and gold too.

Totally agree w/ this.

Mike > Chaz

All day.
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject:

Mike with the speculation that the Bobcats are looking to trade away their pick, let's say hypothetically we got the #4 in some Pau deal? Who do you take at 4?

My guess is the top 3 will roll out like:
1 - Cleveland - Nerlens Noel. They don't need a 1 (Kyrie) or a 2 (Waiters) and their glaring weakness is size.

2 - Orlando - Ben Mclemore. They need everything and Mclemore could potentially be a franchise 2 guard in this league.

3 - Washington - Otto Porter. They have Wall and Beal and they have some bigs (Nene, Okafor) and Porter is gaining a lot of hype and went to Georgetown.

If we ended up with the 4, would you take Trey Burke or Victor Oladipo or even someone else? On the one hand Burke could be a legit starting 1 in this league for the next 10 years. On the other hand I'm just so intrigued by Oladipo. Like others have mentioned in this thread, I see a little Wade in him. I feel like Oladipo could end up being the best player in this draft if he ends up on the right team. What would you do with #4?
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject:

^
Len should be in that discussion as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: