2013 NBA Draft List Ranked in Order. Edited 6/25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
VC never had the ball-handling to get to the basket without absolutely relying on his athleticism to get to the basket.

And yet, you want to compare Oladipo's ball-handling improving to Westbrook's level.

And you wonder why I'm relating SGs to SFs with PG ball-handling.

I don't see the connection at all.

VC never had much outside of an in-and-out dribble, spin move, and some footwork. No wonder why he kept getting pounded at the rim.

And, I disagree about MJ having PG handles. When a player is leading the team in assists that much, over the real PG, then I don't see how it's any different than Kobe's ball-handling.

But, even Kobe couldn't hack playing backup PG to NVE. Turnover prone.

You want me to watch VC videos of him driving left and exploding to the hoop, something he's been able to do since HS, and yet, think that Oladipo can improve his ball-handling so well to get to that level, yet absolutely struggled with his left hand at Indiana against guys who won't make the L. I've never been impressed with Carter in Iso situations, only the finishes at the hoop.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Great PGs can make multiple changes of direction, on the fly, with simple ball-handling, not complex moves.
mike

you are still trying to force these athletic Sg's into PG's. they are not pg's. some can turn into a really good pg. and that would be the best. i agree. but lets be clear. VINCE didnt NEED super handles to get the job done. it wasnt all hops and quicks either. vince has solid footwork as well. i showed videos to prove its about attack angles not so much dribbles. mj knew this as well. shoot. mj did more beating people with pure athletic ability then vince. you know why? because in mikes day there were less hyper athletic guys playing his position then there were in vince's day. vince had a lot of other vinces to deal with. so just being quick was not going to cut it.

kobe had pg handles. but didnt have pg court vision. thats an apples to oranges comparison when talking about kobe and his TO issues. of course he's TO prone he doesnt have that vision. shoot, lets be real kobe doesnt have lebron vision. and lebron vision isnt no where near as good as cp3's.

kobe is a pretty good makeshift pg. but he aint your point guard. unless its desperation time. point guard handles for a SG is icing on the cake. its not NEEDED. all you need is a quick cross and go. a spin move. you never need an inside and out dribble. its not necessary to beat a guy off the bounce. guys with a wicked inside and out dribble (curry, cp3, dwill, ,etc). those guys need it more so since they are defended by little quicky defenders and usually these pg's are not big enough to just take that little guy to the block and work him out down low. but the reality is, its not a necessity, its icing. if he tightens up his off hand and makes darn sure to start attacking with either hand. that alone will expand his attack angles. now will he do that? hopefully. but we dont know. i'm just saying the kid has the TOOLS mike. dont take that away from him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

i mean shannon brown has much less dribbling ability then this guy and he's still in the nba.

So if you revised Shannon Brown's shot selection and made him a better overall shooter and perimeter defender..

.. You get Oladipo.

Shannon Brown has the tools too. Massive hands, large wingspan, plenty of seasoning. Yet all Laker fans wanted him to do was stop dribbling.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I can't tell you how many guys in the NBA have the tools.

I can't tell you how many actually take advantage of it through ball-handling, instead of working on a floater, improving 3pt. shooting, shooting off the dribble, focusing on defense, etc.

Ball-handling is almost last on the list, because it's that difficult to improve.

This is the new wave NBA. The best teams force turnovers because they put relentless pressure on the primary ball-handler. That's why Paul George and Stephenson take so much pressure off of George Hill, and even LeBron has help beside Wade and Chalmers.

Ball-handling. You have it, or you don't. If it were that easy, we wouldn't be watching Darius Morris struggling so much despite his constant work on ball-handling AND the fact he played PG his entire life. We wouldn't talk about Sasha being a SG, because he could barely handle playing PG against SPL level defenses. We wouldn't talk about Goudelock being such an issue bringing up the basketball.

They've had more than just the tools to be a great ball-handler. They've been primary ball-handlers at almost all levels of competition to the NBA.

Now, you can tell me Oladipo is going to utilize and in and out dribble, a left to right crossover, and maybe a spin move? Sure. They all do.

You want to tell me Oladipo can kill in Isolation situations going both left and right and being able to change directions twice on the fly? No way.

But I'll say this, if he had that kind of ball-handling upside, he would be the undisputed #1 pick in the draft. But he doesn't have PG IQ, he doesn't have PG court vision, and he turns the ball over once every five possessions. You can't tell me he's a great ballhandler when he turns it over 20% of the time. That's why he's seen as a defender, spot up shooter, and athletic finisher, and not a shot creator. He can't protect the ball.
mike i never lied on Vic O and said he would be there today. i'm saying he has the ABILITY. no all these guys do not have the ability. no all of these guys dont have that kind of quickness and ball control even in workouts. i've seen these guys workouts. sure they can complete a serious workout but not with that sort of ridiculous quickness. to pull that off means you have CONTROL over the rock. that means now you need to learn how to apply it vs real life defense. MAYBE he will get some help in this area.

like you said he isnt going to his off hand. thats something you can add and its something i've seen guys add. especially if they are not wicked scorers with their main hand. he's a pretty decent scorer. but he has to know he's not good enough to just rely on his quicks, hops. just sayin.

and one last thing about this ball handling convo.

there are different types of handles.

#1 handles to create space and set up the next move (cp3, dwill, kobe, etc)

#2. lets keep it simple, get by your man handles. nothing special, nothing Elite. just dont dribble off your foot and dont allow a little pressure to turn you over.

#3. handles for handles sake. there are a zillion guys that fit here. it looks pretty but you aint going any where. glock, has added a little something to his handles. you could see it in the playoffs. he actually had something to create space in a couple of ways. his biggest issue is he dribbles right into the defense. not smart for a guy that isnt lebron tall. but the old glocks handles were just for handles sake. he wasnt shaking anyone in the nba with that foolishness. and lets talk D.morris. that guy has real legit handles. but is CLUELESS to how it should be applied in real game situations to score. but thats because he's afraid to go hard to the rack vs nba size. so he's another guy with handles for handles sake.

fisher didnt have great handles. yet he wasnt getting turned over like dmo or glock when the press comes. thats cause as a grown man playing hoop you have to come to realization. just because they bring the trap/press doesnt mean you have to get all flustered. relax and keep your body inbetween the ball and the defender. Magic johnson style. you dont have to shake and bake guys like cp3 to get to the rack. its not necessary. you dont have to do that to create space. but it sure is nice if you have those kind of handles and know how to use em.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

i mean shannon brown has much less dribbling ability then this guy and he's still in the nba.

So if you revised Shannon Brown's shot selection and made him a better overall shooter and perimeter defender..

.. You get Oladipo.

Shannon Brown has the tools too. Massive hands, large wingspan, plenty of seasoning. Yet all Laker fans wanted him to do was stop dribbling.

lol. shannon couldnt dribble in college because he was groomed to be a short SF since he was so solidly built and so athletic. not his fault.

he's late to the dribbling game. i bet you shannon brown even in a workout situation 1 on none could not dribble as quickly with the same control as Vic O.

Mike. please never mention s.browns dribbles in the same sentence as anyones. lol.

look at the chart. dont even read the rest. just look at the handles section. for shannon and for Vic O.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/shannon-brown

^^^shannon

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/victor-oladipo
vic O ^^^
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
you are still trying to force these athletic Sg's into PG's.

Actually I'm not. Some are just more adept at it than others. McGrady, Joe Johnson, Paul George, Dwyane Wade w/Shaq title, Stephen Curry, Odom, Prince, Turkoglu, Grant Hill, LeBron James, Ginobili, etc.... these guys have had plenty of time to set up their offense, run pick and rolls, make the right decisions, and create their own shots.

I think it's you, trying to force a SG into an Iso shot creator, when he hasn't shown any evidence of being consistent at it at every level he's played.

Guys with the tools? Terrence Jones, Devean George, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Corey Maggette, Vince Carter, Gerald Wallace, etc.

They don't do it. They can't create shots at will.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

.. You get Oladipo.

lol. shannon couldnt dribble in college because he was groomed to be a short SF since he was so solidly built and so athletic. not his fault.

he's late to the dribbling game. i bet you shannon brown even in a workout situation 1 on none could not dribble as quickly with the same control as Vic O.

Mike. please never mention s.browns dribbles in the same sentence as anyones. lol.

look at the chart. dont even read the rest. just look at the handles section. for shannon and for Vic O.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/shannon-brown

^^^shannon

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/victor-oladipo
vic O ^^^

But, Shannon "has the tools." Do you see why I have a hard time saying your argument is valid? You don't think he hasn't worked on ball-handling throughout his career? Like I said, all these guys that "have the tools" and never really develop it. Large hands, large wingspan, decent footwork, and can't implement.

I may as well say Archie Goodwin, Ben McLemore, Otto Porter, Shabazz Muhammad, etc... "have the tools." They're quick, they're all explosive. Hands. Wingspan. Footwork. None of them great shot creators/ball-handlers like CJ McCollum or Erick Green.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike, do you think it's plausible that Bennett could develop into a 3?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mike, do you think it's plausible that Bennett could develop into a 3?

Only if he turns into an Antoine Walker type. If he does, he's not maximizing his talent.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Mike, what are your thoughts on Giannis? What is his ceiling? I think if the Lakers buy into the late first round he would still be availible.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
Mike, what are your thoughts on Giannis? What is his ceiling? I think if the Lakers buy into the late first round he would still be availible.

I'm not sold on Giannis despite the giant wingspan and hands. This isn't like Ibaka going end to end against weak competition, but at least he had the size and athleticism for the NBA level. Giannis has the size, but he's an average athlete at best. Long strides. Not quick. Not fast. Magic Johnson-like really (not a compliment).

Best case is a point forward. Really unselfish, has the ball-handling ability; think of what Royce White is supposed to be, or a bigger Luke Walton. If he really got it altogether, he'd be a steal pick, but I don't see the skills yet to make up for athletic deficiencies.

... and I REALLY like Royce White's skill level too.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject:

Where would a player of ilyasova's ability rank in this draft? Washington may be interested in a swap of the third pick and ilyasova.

Surprised as I'd qualify EI as a role player but he can play a few positions and stretch the floor. Is the draft that weak this year that a third pick is being considered for such a player?

I have not seen much of guys in this draft. I do like Noel a lot and have seen his vids for a few years. I also like Burke. Rest of the guys in the lotto,I don't really love.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject:

This draft is a bunch of role players. They can be good role players, but they won't be stars.
And most of these role players are very athletic too.

Once a gm accepts that it's role players they're drafting, the draft suddenly doesn't look as "weak". There's just no superstars.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject:

Mike [AT] LG in the updated original post the victor oladipo line at 3. has trey burke in it too. Probably an error.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject:

Always updated as new information comes out.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Experimental Draft List Ranked in Order. Edited 6/6

Mike@LG wrote:
This will always be continually in progress. This is the imperfect science. "Do I think player A is better than player B?" "Do I think player can be better than player A?"

1. Ben McLemore - Moved to #1 because he doesn't have injury issues. Elite athlete who can shoot and defend may be enough in this draft.
2. Nerlins Noel - Still a DPOY type who could kill as a high post center.
3. Victor Oladipo - No other player like him. Perfect compliment to a ball-dominant PG/PnR offense ready for catch and shoot. Can hide the PG defensively.Trey Burke - Best Case, Better passing Jarrett Jack. Worst case, DJ Augustin.
4. Alex Len - Best case stronger Jonas Valanuicias
5. Anthony Bennett - Best case Elton Brand with range. Worst case Antoine Walker. Body language issues. Asthma. Still so much skill and athleticism to go with the talent.
6. Trey Burke - Best Case, Better passing Jarrett Jack. Worst case, DJ Augustin
7. C.J. McCollum - I had forgotten he can create shots like Stephen Curry. Almost as quick a release. High IQ, not a natural PG, but think he can come around to being a solid playmaker. Arguably best shot creator in the draft. Bias wants me to put him ahead of Burke because of how well he connects his fundamentals, and has a surprising motor on defense off-the-ball.
8. Michael Carter-Williams - I keep watching tape and keep thinking better passing Grevis Vasquez. Underrated D. Needs jumpshot badly. Killing it in workouts, may be placed ahead of McCollum and arguably Burke at NBA level, despite decision making issues.
9. Otto Porter - High IQ, Tayshaun Prince time. Utilizes flash post well vs. zone defenses. Role player.
10. Shabazz Muhammad - Just screams Beasley; selfish, drives, athletic, pull up Js.
11. Rudy Gobert - Absolutely no low post base. Will be pushed around by guards. Next to make up for it with activity, motor, and length on both ends of the floor. Needs a jumpshot from midrange, and has the potential to hit well with good form from the FT line. Aggressive around the hoop.

12. Dennis Schroeder - Best case 8/10 Rondo w/jumpshot. Worst case Darren Collison
13. Jamaal Franklin - Eddie Jones/Gerald Wallace type. Active, competitive, motor, athletic.
14. Glen Rice Jr. - I think he's an overrated athlete, but is just quick enough, jumps just high enough, and is just fast enough, like his father. Doesn't have his dad's post game or pure touch, but is more adept at attacking the basket and playing off-the-ball.
15. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - Shooter. Great athlete. Defensive oriented. Would excel next to a ball-dominant PG.
16. Allen Crabbe - Shooter, and hits under duress. Nice SG size.
17. Erick Green - Shot creator. Self-made PG/SG, creates in Iso situations. Fast on the break. Excellent PG size and wingspan. Can hit in spot ups, off the dribble, and has a floater in progress.
18. Ricky Ledo - 1st round talent. Needs the proper environment to develop and discipline his game. Arguably the best ball-handling SG of the draft.
19. Sergei Karasev - The SG version of Toni Kukoc, right down to how he drives and shoots 3s.
20. Archie Goodwin - Athletic playmaking SG, needs a more refined jumpshot, instead of a shotput. Excellent defensive potential. Left school early without coach's blessing.
21. Nemanja Nedovic - Underrated athletic PG. Can hang with quickness/speed/vert with the best. Great shot form, percentages will come. Explosive finisher. Needs a better midrange game. Can execute PnR situations well.
22. Cody Zeller
23. Shane Larkin - #1 athlete of the draft. Puny wingspan. Good enough shooter, quick to the basket. Dana Barros.
24. Tony Mitchell - Tyrus Thomas/Kenyon Martin
25. Tim Hardaway Jr.
26. Solomon Hill - Ron Artest. Needs to make sure his jumper is square. So aggressive attacking the basket. Great defensive IQ. Excellent post base.

27. Steven Adams - Raw talent is flying up the charts in scouts minds, but I think he's still raw, even if he showed well during workouts.
28. Livio Jean Charles
29. Isaiah Canaan - Norris Cole-type. Used to being a #1 option. Just a killer midrange/3pt shooter. Strongest PG of the draft hands down.
30. Gorgui Dieng
31. Jeff Withey
32. Kelly Olynyk
33. Giannis Adetokumbo

34. Mike Muscala
35. Reggie Bullock
36. Jackie Carmichael
37. CJ Leslie
38. Tony Snell
39. Nate Wolters
40. Lorenzo Brown
41. Peyton Siva
42. Myck Kabongo
43. Ray McCollum
44. James Ennis
45. Pierre Jackson
46. BJ Young - Speed, Strength, Quickness, Defense. Needs to fix jumpshot. Classic SG in PG body, but it is elite PG size. Almost the height and length of Dwyane Wade. Think he should be an early to mid 2nd rounder.
47. Mam Jaiteh
48. Deshaun Thomas
49. Adonis Thomas
50. Colton Iverson
51. Brandon Paul
52. Durand Scott
53. Phil Pressey

/Alex Abrines/Erik Murphy

This is a rough draft ranked list. I don't even like it.

Andre Roberson - Ruben Patterson. Rebounds, defends, motor, transition. Limited ball skills. Limited range.

Durand Scott - ACC Defensive Player of the Year. 6'4" 6'9" wingspan. Average athleticism. Excellent body control. Seems to be able to create off-the-dribble at will. Floater extends to 15'. Not confident with jumpshot.

Mike I think Chronicle is talking about this
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject:

I think I'd believe MCW a lot more if his hands weren't so damn tiny. It explains his lack of a tight handle.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject:

The Lakers should look into trading Steve Blake to the Knicks for the #24 pick. It gives NY a serviceable backup PG which they need, and the Lakers get a late first round pick. Then the Lakers should look into buying the #29 pick from OKC who want to cut cap space.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
The Lakers should look into trading Steve Blake to the Knicks for the #24 pick. It gives NY a serviceable backup PG which they need, and the Lakers get a late first round pick. Then the Lakers should look into buying the #29 pick from OKC who want to cut cap space.

then who will be our point guard
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I think I'd believe MCW a lot more if his hands weren't so damn tiny. It explains his lack of a tight handle.

That high dribble with his average wingspan. Gets caught passing in the air.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:

Nash, plus you can always trade Gasol and try to move up in the draft for Schroeder or MCW or Burke or McCollum? With the 24th pick you take Tony Mitchell and with the 29th pick you take Giannis.

PG-Nash/(PG we trade up for)
SG-Kobe/Meeks
SF-(F.A)/Giannis
PF-Clark/Mitchell
C-Howard/Hill
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:

Nash, plus you can always trade Gasol and try to move up in the draft for Schroeder or MCW or Burke or McCollum? With the 24th pick you take Tony Mitchell and with the 29th pick you take Giannis.

SG-Kobe/Meeks
SF-(F.A)/Giannis
PF-Clark/Mitchell
C-Howard/Hill

Care to explain why you're so high on Giannis and Mitchell?

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:

SG-Kobe/Meeks
SF-(F.A)/Giannis
PF-Clark/Mitchell
C-Howard/Hill

The reason I am so high on Giannis and Mitchell is because this draft is a weak draft, and in weak draft you go for theprospects with the most potential. Both Giannis and Mitchell have immense potential to be stars at the NBA level or at least above average starters so I would take a chance and try to develop those two players. Because if even just one of them reaches their potential the Lakers would have struck rich. Lets say both reach their potential then imagine a frontline of Giannis-Mitchell-Howard we would have athletic shot blockers at the 4 & 5 with some skilled passing (Lamar Odom like) at the 3. Big, Tall, Mismatch frontline...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject:

KB#8,#24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:

SG-Kobe/Meeks
SF-(F.A)/Giannis
PF-Clark/Mitchell
C-Howard/Hill

The reason I am so high on Giannis and Mitchell is because this draft is a weak draft, and in weak draft you go for theprospects with the most potential. Both Giannis and Mitchell have immense potential to be stars at the NBA level or at least above average starters so I would take a chance and try to develop those two players. Because if even just one of them reaches their potential the Lakers would have struck rich. Lets say both reach their potential then imagine a frontline of Giannis-Mitchell-Howard we would have athletic shot blockers at the 4 & 5 with some skilled passing (Lamar Odom like) at the 3. Big, Tall, Mismatch frontline...

Understand the thought process, but disagree with it. It's not loaded with franchise players (hence the perception of a weak draft), but it's deep with 1st round talent all the way to #40 or so.

But this is the most athletic draft in 15 years, hence the question.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
KB#8,#24 wrote:

SG-Kobe/Meeks
SF-(F.A)/Giannis
PF-Clark/Mitchell
C-Howard/Hill

Understand the thought process, but disagree with it. It's not loaded with franchise players (hence the perception of a weak draft), but it's deep with 1st round talent all the way to #40 or so.

But this is the most athletic draft in 15 years, hence the question.

Sorry, reading back over my comment I think I exaggerated the potential of both Giannis and Mitchell. Giannis can be a very good starter while Mitchell can be a contributing starter. Who would you target at #24 and #29.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject:

If this were an "average" or "great" draft, both Giannis and Mitchell would still be late 1st rounders.

I'd float the idea of

Archie Goodwin
Ricky Ledo
Glen Rice Jr.
Erick Green

Then
Isaiah Canaan
Nemanja Nedovic
James Ennis
Solomon Hill
BJ Young

You want to talk about a team that can play both ends of the floor, kill in PnR situations, develop an Iso game, and keep up athletically with the leagues best, height, wingspan, etc.... Any combination of those guys would make me ecstatic, especially if Goodwin and Young take Kobe's shooting Bible...

I know my interests are wing and PG heavy, but that is where all of the talent depth is in this draft.

Scariest part? The best passer of the draft is Dario Saric, and he may withdraw because he's not likely to go lottery. Better than Burke, Carter Williams, etc.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: