Deal reached in Kobe memorabilia lawsuit, parents issue an apology
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air Apparent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Deal reached in Kobe memorabilia lawsuit, parents issue an apology

Those criticizing Kobe for being a "bad son" or douche need to follow suit.

Quote:
The Kobe Bryant memorabilia saga has ended with an apology from the Los Angeles Lakers guard's parents and a settlement that allows less than 10 percent of the items originally intended for sale to be auctioned.

Bryant and a company that was auctioning off the memorabilia reached a deal one week before the two sides were due to go to trial in New Jersey. The agreement allows the sale of six items, which Goldin Auctions president Ken Goldin told ESPN.com on Monday morning he is confident can still sell for more than $500,000 combined.

Bryant's parents, who had contracted with Goldin to sell the items, apologized in a written statement.

"We regret our actions and statements related to the Kobe Bryant auction memorabilia," said Joe and Pamela Bryant in the statement, provided by a publicist. "We apologize for any misunderstanding and unintended pain we have caused our son and appreciate the financial support he has provided over the years. We also apologize to Goldin Auctions for their inadvertent involvement in this matter and thank them for their assistance."

When Bryant learned last month that Goldin was planning on selling the items consigned to the company by his mother Pamela, he sued the company. Goldin then filed its own lawsuit that maintained that Pamela was the owner of the items, revealing that the company had already given her an advance of $450,000 to pay for a new home for Bryant's father Joe and herself in Las Vegas.

While Goldin said he wasn't free to divulge the terms of the settlement, what is clear is that approximately 90 percent of what previously was being offered has been pulled off the table, though they are still some of the most highly coveted items.

Goldin said he is still happy with the resolution.
"We're offering very rare Kobe Bryant memorabilia," Goldin said. "And for many of these items, this is the only place you'll ever see things like this."

Included in the auction will be two of Bryant's high school uniforms and two rings celebrating the 2000 Lakers championship team that were gifted at the time to Bryant's parents. The ring gifted to his father Joe, Goldin notes, comes in the same size as the ring presented to Kobe (11½).

For some items, including Bryant's 2000 NBA All-Star ring, half the winning bid will be donated to charity, Goldin said. When reached, Kobe Bryant said he would have no comment on the resolution.

Bidding will start June 17 and close July 19. The auction also includes what Goldin says is the only existing glove from Jackie Robinson's 1949 MVP-winning season.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9360162/kobe-bryant-memorabilia-lawsuit-settled-parents-apologize

"Prior to evolving his game this season (12-13), Kobe became a tall Allen Iverson." - Lakersarethebesteva
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject:

They're still selling his stuff
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
two rings celebrating the 2000 Lakers championship team that were gifted at the time to Bryant's parents.

Still sounds like a sleazy move by his parents.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject:

Harvey Specter is the best closer..
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject:

Incredible. They still get to sell some of his stuff. So disrespectful. I would stop supporting them altogether.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject:

So now we all know who is right and who is wrong.

They publicly apologized.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject:

Lmao @ some of the comments on ESPN

Quote:
Too bad OJ's in jail or he could have gotten Kobe's stuff back for him.

Quote:
"I'd much rather my mom have to apologize for trying to sell my junk, rather than apologizing for selling her own "junk" to my teamates"

-LBJ

Quote:
Call me when his jock strap is up for bid

-kobe slurpers

Cali_Fan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Haha I love "Suits"!!!
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
two rings celebrating the 2000 Lakers championship team that were gifted at the time to Bryant's parents.

Disgusting.....At least this BS is all over now.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject:

Creepy parents, I feel for Kobe, he has been very generous to his parents over the years and then they acted as greedy as it gets!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
They're still selling his stuff

They are only selling the minimum amount of stuff to try and make up the advance they already gave Kobe's mom, which she probably spent in a few days.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject:

Joe and Pam were stank-ass wrong for that. Just wrong!!!! They wouldn't get another 2 nickels to rub together from me after that stunt.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject:

Gravy train ... refilled
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Too bad OJ's in jail or he could have gotten Kobe's stuff back for him.
George the Greek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"I'd much rather my mom have to apologize for trying to sell my junk, rather than apologizing for selling her own "junk" to my teamates"

-LBJ

OH MY GOD, IT'S HILARIOUS!!!

matrixskillz wrote:
everybody steals moves from everybody
I call that Basketball Communism.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject:

George the Greek wrote:
Quote:

-LBJ

OH MY GOD, IT'S HILARIOUS!!!

gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

Too bad he's a complete Jordan jocker.

Kobe probably compares more to the character.

Bye.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject:

Damn... it would break my heart if it were my parents doing this. My mother wouldn't sell the Mr. Freeze picture that I drew her in 3rd grade for anything.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Incredible. They still get to sell some of his stuff. So disrespectful. I would stop supporting them altogether.
now let me ask this question. do you think kobe has ever done anything wrong in his childhood? if so. during that time do you think it would've been okay for his parents to stop supporting kobe?
your answer is going to be no, but but he was a kid. doesnt matter. i held you down all of your 18 years when you were the most vulnerable. so if you have the ability(financially) you should return the favor. its only right. doesnt matter what his parents did with selling that stuff. two wrongs dont make a right.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject:

The Shadow King wrote:
Damn... it would break my heart if it were my parents doing this. My mother wouldn't sell the Mr. Freeze picture that I drew her in 3rd grade for anything.
bad comparison. you drew it for HER. kobe was not winning rings and playing ball for his parents. he did that for himself. sure he gave them some things after he earned awards and wore jersey's etc. but the truth is, he didnt do those things for them. thats completely different.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
now let me ask this question. do you think kobe has ever done anything wrong in his childhood? if so. during that time do you think it would've been okay for his parents to stop supporting kobe?
your answer is going to be no, but but he was a kid. doesnt matter. i held you down all of your 18 years when you were the most vulnerable. so if you have the ability(financially) you should return the favor. its only right. doesnt matter what his parents did with selling that stuff. two wrongs dont make a right.

Bad comparison. Parents are supposed to know better. Kids do things impetuously without fully realizing the consequences sometimes. This was a very deliberate move by his parents to profit off of items they KNEW didn't belong to them. It's one thing to make a mistake. But this was a plot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject:

Doesn't this belong in the Kardashean forum?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
The Shadow King wrote:
bad comparison. you drew it for HER. kobe was not winning rings and playing ball for his parents. he did that for himself. sure he gave them some things after he earned awards and wore jersey's etc. but the truth is, he didnt do those things for them. thats completely different.

says who

at least in high school, he played because his dad played, wore a jersey number because his dad did
Mamba3301
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The agreement allows the sale of six items, which Goldin Auctions president Ken Goldin told ESPN.com on Monday morning he is confident can still sell for more than $500,000 combined.

I hope fans don't buy any of the Kobe items from this guy, don't help him make any money.

I have no respect for Kobe's parents, they're pathetic.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject:

In my opinion this makes Kobe look bad, I don't have a clue what's going on in their family but his parents shouldn't have to resort to this. Kobe is mega rich, he should make sure his folks are well taken care of. Like I said, I'm just speaking from a perspective of an outsider looking in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: