Screw Mayor Webb and the whole [BLEEPING] City of Beverly Hills!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Screw Mayor Webb and the whole [BLEEPING] City of Beverly Hills!

Camera-Sly in Beverly Hills
The city wants to nab 'pass-through' speeders by installing photo radar. Foes say the plan smacks of Big Brother.

By Martha Groves, Times Staff Writer
May 16, 2006

Westside drivers, are you ready for your close-ups?

Beverly Hills wants to launch a pilot program using photo radar to nab speeders in 25-mph residential zones.

The plan might seem extreme, but Mayor Steve Webb said the city must do something novel to curb drivers who diverge from the city's increasingly congested main thoroughfares, such as Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards, onto tree-lined side streets as they make their way to jobs, schools and shopping.

"We are a pass-through city, with 300,000 cars a day passing through our city," Webb said. "It's just impossible without this technology to really get a handle on this problem."

But Beverly Hills' plan has come under attack in Sacramento and elsewhere, with opponents contending that placing cameras on side streets amounts to an invasion of privacy.

"There was a feeling among members of Big Brotherism," said Sen. Sheila Kuehl (D-Santa Monica), who tried unsuccessfully to persuade fellow legislators to back a bill that would have allowed Beverly Hills to use radar equipment and cameras. "It was the underlying issue of using technology like that in a neighborhood. It just bothered them." The effort underscores the growing traffic problem in the Westside, which is in the midst of its biggest development boom since the early 1980s.

LINK
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject:

300,000 cars and they want them to drive at 25 mph? It'll get even more congested.

It's really stupid cause the incentive for them is to make money. They want to catch people speeding so they can ticket them for cash. Screw them.
jlkr42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

What's wrong with speed bumps on the street? Oh right, they don't bring in revenue...
surfbu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:

I dont like the big brother aspects of this law...but I can say, as a beverly hills resident, who lives just behind beverly drive off of Wilshire....I am sick and tired of cars and motorcycles feeling they have to hit 60MPH+ while driving down my street.

Why there aren't speed bumps, is beyond me...they need to put those in....but since we are right behind Beverly, we get a ton of traffic from folks who are trying to park on reeves for Jamba Juice and starbucks, etc.

As a result, we get a ton of traffic...and as stated above, these folks drive extremely fast down our street....like over 60MPH.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

There are these photoradars in Oregon. They absolutely SUCK...just a big revenue maker.....its going to cascade and they'll soon have them on regular streets..they are unmarked vans that take pictures when you're speeding and mail you a ticket. absolute horsecrap.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

jlkr42 wrote:
What's wrong with speed bumps on the street? Oh right, they don't bring in revenue...

Damn right. Speed bumps are a cost to the city that provide no return. Cameras are a cheaper alternative to cops and still provide the revenue.

I can understand the need to cut down on speeding, especially in residential neigborhoods, but if that's truly the goal, speedbumps will do that EVERY time right then and there. Fear of a ticket will only cut down small percentages and only helps address the problem after the fact.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I live down a little dirt road and can go all day without seeing a single car
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
300,000 cars and they want them to drive at 25 mph? It'll get even more congested.

It's really stupid cause the incentive for them is to make money. They want to catch people speeding so they can ticket them for cash. Screw them.

All of the money is supposed to go to the schools. Not sure if Webb knows that.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

It's definitely a money-making tactic. Speed bumps should provide teh same exact solution, with a cheaper maintenance cost as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I didn't realize there was a right to privacy on a public street. Pretty weak argument, if you ask me.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I didn't realize there was a right to privacy on a public street. Pretty weak argument, if you ask me.

There is no right to privacy in public however I believe there is a right to privacy inside your car.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:

All of the money is supposed to go to the schools. Not sure if Webb knows that.

Just like the Lotto money :roll:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: