Report: Lakers eyeing LeBron, Melo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I think the best thing for the Lakers to do to better the short term and long term success of the franchise is to sign Carmelo Anthony and add young pieces around him and Kobe.
Rekindled
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject:

first of all, pau and monroe would be redundant. slow footed big men who cannot defend the rim. if you keep pau, you need a rim protector. offer the max to derrick favors could work.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Rekindled wrote:
first of all, pau and monroe would be redundant. slow footed big men who cannot defend the rim. if you keep pau, you need a rim protector. offer the max to derrick favors could work.

That's crazy..Favors isn't worth the max..if were talking bigmen we should go for Marc Gasol..but that's in 2015..not sure if Kobe and the Lakers are fine waiting an extra year potentially giving up one title.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have ZERO interest in Melo...trust me
PurpleHayz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject:

DMArtestQB wrote:
Question to the LG posters.

Would you hold on Kobe contract talks and go all out for melo and LBJ?

Won't matter the Kobe's cap hold still counts against the Lakers. Even if they wait his 30 mil is part of the Lakers salary.
omzzzzz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject:

PurpleHayz wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

Won't matter the Kobe's cap hold still counts against the Lakers. Even if they wait his 30 mil is part of the Lakers salary.

I think they can just waive his bird rights though and then re-sign him to whatever they agree to in order to get rid of the cap hold. If that's the case....then yes I would wait on the Kobe contract talks.
PurpleHayz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject:

omzzzzz wrote:
PurpleHayz wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

I think they can just waive his bird rights though and then re-sign him to whatever they agree to in order to get rid of the cap hold. If that's the case....then yes I would wait on the Kobe contract talks.

I'm not sure that's accurate (Paging Larry Coon) otherwise teams would wait to sign their own players and sign other free agents. I could be wrong but I thought Emplay has talked about this as well.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject:

omzzzzz wrote:
PurpleHayz wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

Technically they should have all the main pieces in place before the end of the moratorium. Then they will know what they need to do and if they need to renounce bird rights or just sign Kobe first so they dont lose his bird rights.

Hopefully Melo and Bron do want to play together in LA. Who plays with them will be dictated by how much starting salary they want and how much Kobe wants.

Kobe and Gasol have more flexibility if they take less this year and then more the next since the Lakers will still have their bird rights. It will be an interesting summer.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject:

PurpleHayz wrote:
omzzzzz wrote:
PurpleHayz wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

I'm not sure that's accurate (Paging Larry Coon) otherwise teams would wait to sign their own players and sign other free agents. I could be wrong but I thought Emplay has talked about this as well.

I believe that it is best for them to sign Kobe first. Otherwise the cap hold is over 30 million for Kobe alone. Once he signs, the cap hold is whatever he signs for. If they waive his bird rights first they lose the opportunity to give Kobe a bigger raise the following year.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
PurpleHayz wrote:
omzzzzz wrote:
PurpleHayz wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

I believe that it is best for them to sign Kobe first. Otherwise the cap hold is over 30 million for Kobe alone. Once he signs, the cap hold is whatever he signs for. If they waive his bird rights first they lose the opportunity to give Kobe a bigger raise the following year.

Doesn't matter since Kobe isn't taking a paycut.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject:

PurpleHayz wrote:
DMArtestQB wrote:

If Lebron and Melo agreed to max contracts, Lakers would then rescind rights to Kobe and sign them.

Not saying that is what will happen, but that is what they could do. Kobe's contract is not an issue or are having his bird rights. They can negotiate with Bron and Melo without needing to worry about Kobe's contract. If it came to it, the would rescind his bird rights.

My guess is that they probably want to sell both or one of them on playing with Kobe though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject:

I do not believe the talks that Kobe will not take a paycut. If Kobe's contract stands in the way of winning, I think he takes a paycut. Kobe is going to take the maximum amount of money that still allows the Lakers to still compete.
LKR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject:

I doubt either are coming. I think the most realistic is Rudy Gay at a reduced signing but for more years.
EdfromSimiValley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject:

LKR wrote:
I doubt either are coming. I think the most realistic is Rudy Gay at a reduced signing but for more years.

This is a reasonable and realistic proposition. Should the Melo/LeBron plans not come to fruition, you have to consider players who might be considered a notch or tier lower, although Gay's statistics are nothing to complain about. He has been ultra consistent throughout his career and is over 2 years younger than Anthony. He may thrive even more in a good situation and would become a star in L.A. Every other person will find a reason not to be interested in Gay (such as average/adequate defense), but then again, Anthony probably gives up a few more points than he should as we know. What player is perfect, anyways?

Gay has an ETO in '14, and he's playing in Toronto of all places, so this is a nice option IMO. The Lakers don't have to blow all of their resources in 2014 either. If you add to Rudy Gay with any of K.Love, Rondo, Aldridge etc. in 2015, you have a young nucleus and a nice fresh start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
Lebron will take an MLE type pay at Miami so he no only can keep his super friends on the team but also to lure Melo to produce more rings.

Book it. Lebron is never about money.

thats ridiculous
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
deal wrote:
The entire league is "eyeing" Lebron & Melo...

But, the Lakers do present lots of advantages that other teams don't have.

heavy taxes?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
Lebron will take an MLE type pay at Miami so he no only can keep his super friends on the team but also to lure Melo to produce more rings.

thats ridiculous

What do you find ridiculous, that Lebron has foresworn monetary compensation for spirituality and winning, or that that poster feels compelled to shout in a huge font?
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

thats ridiculous

What do you find ridiculous, that Lebron has foresworn monetary compensation for spirituality and winning, or that that poster feels compelled to shout in a huge font?

is there even a point to winning when you did it with a stupidly stacked team? in all honesty that just takes the fun out of it, i mean it's like putting an NBA team against all high schoolers, yeah you would win all the time, but does it really matter at that point? These players all running to play together has just killed some of the competitiveness of the game.
JLaker917
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject:

I don't think either one of them will come here.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

thats ridiculous

I find it more ridiculous that he told us to book it
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject:

I prefer going after John Wall and Paul George instead. Do it, Mitch!
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
I prefer going after John Wall and Paul George instead. Do it, Mitch!

I wish, it was that easy.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject:

http://instagram.com/p/b6aKOZQC-7/
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
chicky baby wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Moses wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't think Carmelo is worth / will get the Max?

If you look at the realistic available FAs in 2014, then giving Carmelo the max might be our only option as far as getting a superstar player in the market.

most of the superstar FAs we want in 2014 are RFAs and will most likely be matched by there current team.

you seem to be operating under the presumption that it's better to sign a "max" player for the sake of it rather than preserving your cap space for the right player. too many teams make that mistake, namely franchises like the knicks. Always settling for the best available "max" player on the market.

There are players that can improve a team's success in the short run but drag you further away from the championship because they are overvalued and hamper your ability to add pieces.

There's only a handful of players truly worth the max. if you can't get one of those players then it's best not to overpay for a 2nd tier talent because you won't win with that guy anyways.

My thoughts EXACTLY- couldn't have said it better.

Yep, that's what we're becoming in the Jim Buss era. Knicks West. Signing Melo would be the symbolic passing of the torch. A team doomed to mediocrity and "He was the best max player available, gotta sign somebody" team-building ideologies.

It's the quintessential Dolan move. In fact it would be a complete parallel to Knicks' 2010 free agency foray.

Dantoni at the coaching helm, misses out on Lebron, signs 2nd tier superstar Amare to albatross of a contract.

Doesn't make it to the ECF for the duration of Amare's contract
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Rekindled wrote:

So are you saying that the Lakers should pass on 23 year old budding star because we have a 33 year old who does the same thing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: