Deal reached in Kobe memorabilia lawsuit, parents issue an apology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject:

who needs enemy when u have parents like those?
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: WOW

TrueBlueLakers wrote:
Nobody knows the truth of this story. They should apologize whether they were right or wrong to help try to salvage some of their son's image.

Based on the comments, I take it that its OK for Kobe or Vanessa to support the mother in law, but the parents are labeled as greedy. They ones most responsible for his success other than Kobe should be cut off, but not the mother in law? That's a little crazy to me.

My mom and dad would always receive money from me if I was taking care of my mother in law.

If you read the thread, you'd know he has supported his parents to the tune of millions of dollars and two previous houses and cars. His mother in law lives in a home that Kobe and Vanessa own rent free, and apparently is very involved in her grand children's lives. His parents own the two houses he bought them, and he offered 250k, apparently as a down payment, for a third house, but his mom wanted 450k.

Kids absolutely should take care of their parents (unless their parents were complete (bleep)), but that doesn't mean parents should get blank check access to their children's bank accounts. He's done plenty, and at some point parents start looking greedy after getting so much already. A lot of parents I know who are nowhere close to being as well off as I assume Joe Jelly Bean and his wife were and are, refuse to accept a penny from their successful kids because they don't want or need excessive luxury. Their kids are a safety net if they need it, not an ATM machine.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
It was a replica he made for both his parents not his real one otherwise there's no way he'd let her sell it come on now...

Ugghh, just bleh.

BTW, (OT) I'm hearing there's new stuff on the Siovaughn Funches front.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject:

I heard that too I'm going to post about that next because I've heard Dwayne has responded.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject:

i will never stand in judgement of kobes parents. they have given him a wonderful life also.....they have put him in situations to succeed all his life and no one can be in judgement of them except kobe. Im pretty sure they love kobe and what ever message they are sending to him is im pretty sure there is a reason.....they didnt just stop loving him so stop judging them when you dont even know the whole story.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
i will never stand in judgement of kobes parents. they have given him a wonderful life also.....they have put him in situations to succeed all his life and no one can be in judgement of them except kobe. Im pretty sure they love kobe and what ever message they are sending to him is im pretty sure there is a reason.....they didnt just stop loving him so stop judging them when you dont even know the whole story.

Ugghhh...just stop. You know what grown ups do when they have a problem with their kid?? They sit down and talk to them about it. They don't go behind their back and sell their stuff because they're mad. That's juvenile and I WILL judge that. That is beneath any parent who claims to love their child.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
That really sucks. He lost his first championship ring.

No, that was the one he ordered for his mom. He still got his. From this whole lawsuit, he only took back some items but leave stuff that he told he gave them to his parents.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

Ugghhh...just stop. You know what grown ups do when they have a problem with their kid?? They sit down and talk to them about it. They don't go behind their back and sell their stuff because they're mad. That's juvenile and I WILL judge that. That is beneath any parent who claims to love their child.

stop looking foolish judging someone else....
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

And at his response to you.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
WaltonFam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:

stop looking foolish judging someone else....

LOL, you think hoopchick's comment is foolish?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject:

boibastos wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

She was soooo desperate for a 3rd home that she had to sell her son's things?

The Parents of Elite Athletes Association require at least 4 homes which includes either a sprawling beachfront property or small castle to maintain their good standing.

You aren't going to see Pa and Ma Manning do this? And unlike Joe and Pam they have two sons in the NFL
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject:

I would've kept the Wooden basketball but that's just me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-memorabilia-parents-disputed-sale-brings-more-143938035.html

Quote:
That small slate of goodies became available to collectors on June 17 and wrapped up early Saturday morning, and while it didn't deliver the $1.5 million in revenues that Goldin projected the full 100-plus-item lot would have, it still cleaned up all right, according to ESPN.com's Darren Rovell:
A duplicate of his 2000 Los Angeles Lakers championship ring, gifted to his father Joe, sold for $174,184. A version in a smaller size, made for his mother Pam, went for $108,153.
Other items that commanded top dollar in the sale, conducted by New Jersey-based Goldin Auctions, included Bryant's 2000 NBA All-Star ring ($55,597), and two of his game-used high school uniforms ($50,150 and $41,694).
Now, I'm no mathematician, but it seems to me ... [plus four, carry the one] ... that those five items raised just a tick under $430,000. And that actually might undersell it a bit — tallying up the final prices listed on Goldin's auction page puts the haul at $436,201.26.
There were several other Kobe-related pieces up for bidding, too:
• A medallion and ribbon from the 1996 Magic Johnson Roundball Classic, a high school all-star game in which Bryant participated);
• A pair of autographs, one on a program from the 1996 Pennsylvania Boys 4A state championship (won by Bryant and Lower Merion) and one on a photo from Kobe's first Lakers press conference after the 1996 NBA draft;
• A blue UCLA basketball signed to Kobe by legendary coach John Wooden;
• A pair of game-used Kobe road jerseys, one from the 2001-02 season (with a commemorative 9/11 patch) and one from the 2007-08 season (his first after switching his jersey number from No. 8 to No. 24);
• A pack of tickets from the Dec. 5, 2012, game against the New Orleans Hornets in which Kobe scored his 30,000th career point;
• Five prototypes of different signature shoes produced while Kobe had an endorsement deal with Adidas;
• Several collections of Kobe basketball cards and signed art.

Add it all up, and the take comes to $478,072.01. Not bad for some stuff that was just laying around, right?
For some of the items, including the 2000 NBA All-Star ring, 50 percent of the winning bid was reportedly set to go to charity. Which charity, exactly, we're not sure, but Bryant has in the past auctioned off the clear plastic protective mask he wore during the 2011-12 season and a game of H-O-R-S-E to benefit initiatives combating homelessness. Here's hoping those proceeds go toward something equally noble and beneficial, putting a positive bow on top of a deeply weird family squabble.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: WOW

mhan00 wrote:
TrueBlueLakers wrote:
Nobody knows the truth of this story. They should apologize whether they were right or wrong to help try to salvage some of their son's image.

Based on the comments, I take it that its OK for Kobe or Vanessa to support the mother in law, but the parents are labeled as greedy. They ones most responsible for his success other than Kobe should be cut off, but not the mother in law? That's a little crazy to me.

My mom and dad would always receive money from me if I was taking care of my mother in law.

If you read the thread, you'd know he has supported his parents to the tune of millions of dollars and two previous houses and cars. His mother in law lives in a home that Kobe and Vanessa own rent free, and apparently is very involved in her grand children's lives. His parents own the two houses he bought them, and he offered 250k, apparently as a down payment, for a third house, but his mom wanted 450k.

Kids absolutely should take care of their parents (unless their parents were complete (bleep)), but that doesn't mean parents should get blank check access to their children's bank accounts. He's done plenty, and at some point parents start looking greedy after getting so much already. A lot of parents I know who are nowhere close to being as well off as I assume Joe Jelly Bean and his wife were and are, refuse to accept a penny from their successful kids because they don't want or need excessive luxury. Their kids are a safety net if they need it, not an ATM machine.
your comparison to other families is an apples and oranges comparison. those families you know also do not have a kid making 100's of millions of dollars.

see its one thing to bring home 250k as a son or daughter and have some nice left overs after everything is paid for. then have you r parents who were middle upper class. not asking for money. You're not RICH.

kobe isnt even i wont a million dollars rich. he's not i just won 5 million dollars after taxes rich. kobe bryant is STUPID , DUMB rich. he will never spend that money in his life time. no dont bring up AI or A.walker. kobe has made twice as much as those guys. and will continue to do so even after he stops playing. he can write books, go on speaking engagements and bring in 25 k a pop easily cause he's a winner. everyone wants to hear what a winner has to say.

he can open up a super sports camp for young guys who are trying to make it to the pros(nba or overseas). and have everyone on a KOBE regimen. how much would that bring in? millions.

when you have so much money to the point your kids are set for life, and their kids are set for life and you still have change left over. you could buy your parents 3 homes. the truth is, unlike a friend that you grew up with that always has his hand out. or a drug addict family member thats young as well. odds are your parents aint living that much longer. i mean maybe they have another 20 yrs to go. and thats pushing it. so if you tell moms "hey this is your 3rd house, you cant live in them all. So rent the others out while you're not there if you want to make money and think you may want to move again in the near future. you will have the money to do so. the houses are paid for. so everything coming in is cash on hand and some maintenance money.

or let them know they can sell one of the homes to get a new home if she chooses to move again. 250k vs 450k isnt a ton of cash to kobe bryant. i know its the principal. but what principal? you have money to burn twice over. you have every toy you ever could imagine and then some. you have a big time charity foundation for the homeless. you give to other charities. your kids kids are set. your wife is blinging like no other. you dont have to pay for most of your clothes since you're an athlete and you run around in athletic gear 23/7(every blue moon you throw on a suit). lets not forget outside of kb's contract. he gets a per diem $100+ per day. the guy doesnt even pay for his own meals. i mean he gave those laptops away. but he didnt buy them. they were given to him by the company. go ahead and give moms that 450k. big deal.

look at this. and i think its now up to 120 bucks or so.
Quote:
Perks of the Per Diem

Per diems are one of the perks of being an NBA player.
Per Diem = Free Money
It pays to be an NBA player. On top of making millions of dollars, apparently they get an allowence too!

Per Diem - What It Is

Part of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, each NBA player receives $106 US for every day they are on the road. It serves as their meal money - roughly $19 for breakfast, $30 for lunch and $57 for dinner. Not a bad deal, considering $106 can easily feed a family of five for a week! The $106 a day is a nice raise from the original per diem. In 1957 the NBA's per diem was $7 a day.

Per Diem - How It's Distributed

At the beginning of a road trip, each player is given an envelope of per diem money. For example if the team is on a five-day-road-trip, each player's envelope is filled with $530 US! The average salary for an NBA player is $5.5 million a year, so it's not like the players need the extra money. But everything in the NBA is first class. The players stay is five star hotels and fly in private jets. All of which is also on the NBA's dime!

Per Diem - Cheapskates

All players spend their per diem differently. Some spend all their money on food, while others (particularly the younger players) opt to be penny pinchers with their food money. Here are some examples.

Nate Robinson - The New York Knicks' guard has learned a few tricks on how not to spend his per diem. He hangs out in some of his richer teammates' rooms and when they order room service, he adds his own order on their bill!
Jamal Sampson - This center for the Denver Nuggets tries to find Subways or cheap sandwich shops so he can pocket the rest.
Kyle Korver - This Ashton Kutcher look-a-like for the Philadelphia 76ers used to live off his per diem and not spend his NBA paychecks.
Per Diem - How Others Spend it

Antonio Davis - This former NBA big man was making around $9 million a year in his last years in the NBA. In that time, he would give his per diem money to employees of the team like trainers, or security guards as a token of appreciation.
Marcus Camby - This Denver Nuggets center gives some of his per diem to younger, less-payed players on his team. Although that is a nice gesture, it's not like those young players are starving. Minimum wage in the NBA is over $400,000 a year!

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

That statement wasn't needed who are they fooling you want $$$ and are cashing in on this opportunity don't pretend to be selfless here

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29088674/kobe-bryant-memorabilia-offered-auction

Quote:
Kobe Bryant memorabilia offered for auction includes game-worn sneakers, title ring

Three months after the tragic death of Kobe Bryant, nearly 100 items of Bryant memorabilia -- including game-worn sneakers from the NBA Finals and a championship ring originally belonging to his mother, Pam Bryant -- are being auctioned off.

"We believe it is the largest collection ever in one place of Kobe Bryant memorabilia," Ken Goldin of Goldin Auctions told ESPN on Thursday.

The online auction, which ends May 16, features 86 items including sneakers, warm-ups, jerseys and a 14-karat gold ring with eight diamonds engraved with Bryant's name to represent Team USA's 8-0 record in the 2012 Olympics en route to the gold medal.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Vanessa Bryant recalls Kobe's 60-point finale

Ranking Kobe Bryant's five NBA title-winning postseasons

New book from Kobe studio tops best-seller list
"There's something for everyone," Goldin said. "We expect the price points in here to go from as low as $500 to potentially over $100,000."

The highest bid on any item currently is $28,000 for the black Adidas signature sneakers Bryant wore in the clinching Game 5 of the 2001 Finals against the Philadelphia 76ers. The lowest current bid is $125 for a basketball signed by Bryant.

Goldin Auctions ran into some controversy in 2013 when the New Jersey auction house sought to sell hundreds of items acquired from Bryant's mother for $450,000. After legal action was threatened by Kobe Bryant, his parents came to a settlement with their son, auctioning off just six items -- including the ring gifted to his mother following the Los Angeles Lakers' 2000 title over the Indiana Pacers -- and issuing a public apology.

The current auction has no association with Pam and Joe Bryant, according to Goldin.

"The person who won the ring back in 2013 is my consigner in this auction," Goldin said of Pam Bryant's ring that fetched nearly $110,000 in the original auction. "So he's held onto the ring for seven years and he's selling it now. But the rest of the items are from various collectors across the country, and across the world. We've got consignments from China as well as other countries outside the United States."

The 2013 auction raised $62,565 for The Bully Project -- a charity that Kobe Bryant backed. This year's auction will benefit the Mamba and Mambacita Sports Foundation, which Bryant's wife, Vanessa, created after her husband and daughter, Gianna, died in a helicopter crash along with seven other people in January.

"Whatever the winning bid price is on each item, 5% goes to the Mamba and Mambacita Sports Foundation," Goldin said.

Vanessa Bryant is not involved in this auction featuring the Bryant items, according to Goldin.

Another rare item in the collection is a signed jersey from the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft, Sabrina Ionescu, from her University of Oregon days with the inscription, "To Kobe."

"I believe what happened was it was given to a marketing rep for her to give to Kobe and then he passed," Goldin said. "So that certainly would be unusual to find."

And the nets from the Lakers' game against the Sixers at the Wells Fargo Center when LeBron James passed Bryant for No. 3 on the all-time scoring list are also included.

"If you want to think back to this day, it was the last happy day in basketball, really," Goldin said. "It was used Jan. 25, 2020 ... Kobe called [James] and sent that message congratulating him, and of course that was the last tweet he ever issued because the next day was the helicopter crash."

Goldin said that the auction has been planned for months to coincide with the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame revealing its 2020 class, which he correctly figured would include Bryant.

"We'd been collecting items really as early as December for the auction, and the auction was timed to take place right after this year's Hall of Fame announcement was made," Goldin said. "And we took consignments and unfortunately he had his passing. But it would be unfair for us, to our consigners, who we've literally held their items for four months trying to monetize it, not to go forward with the auction."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject:

^^^^^^
I don't see where you came up with the idea that they are presenting themselves as selfless. Sure, they're giving a small percentage of the proceeds to charity, but they're not making that the main emphasis or hiding the fact that this is a money-making venture.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

Its this line

Quote:

But it would be unfair for us, to our consigners, who we've literally held their items for four months trying to monetize it, not to go forward with the auction."

They're acting like this is some huge sacrifice that they held back this long from profiting off of this tragedy.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Its this line

Quote:

But it would be unfair for us, to our consigners, who we've literally held their items for four months trying to monetize it, not to go forward with the auction."

They're acting like this is some huge sacrifice that they held back this long from profiting off of this tragedy.

I think you're misreading the story.

They planned this auction before Kobe's death to profit off Kobe's induction into the Hall of Fame. Now they're just saying they're not changing their plans because he died.

Regarding the quote you cited: My guess is the reporter asked the auction house if they felt any hesitation about proceeding with the auction after Kobe died, and the auction house responded they have a financial responsibility to the collections who have consigned their memorabilia to them.

I don't get the impression they're suggesting they're doing anything noble, or that there is anything going on here other than a profit motivation.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/24/kobe-bryant-lakers-championship-ring-nba-goldin-auctions-mom/

Quote:
KOBE BRYANT
Lakers Ring He Gifted Mom
... SELLS FOR $206K!!!

The 14k gold-and-diamond ring Kobe Bryant gifted his mom 20 years ago has just sold ... and it brought in more than $206k!!!!

$206,080 to be exact.

As we previously reported, Kobe bought two identical, blinged-out rings for his parents to commemorate his first NBA championship with the Lakers following the 1999, 2000 season.

Kobe's mom, Pamela Bryant, famously tried to sell the rings, along with a bunch of other Kobe memorabilia back in the day ... and Kobe sued to try and stop the sale.

Kobe ultimately agreed to allow his parents to sell 6 items -- including the rings -- and, in 2013, they sold to a private collector (a big Lakers fan) for a total of $280,000.

Now, that private collector went to Goldin Auction to see what they could get for the rings ... and obviously, the value has skyrocketed.

The minimum bid was $15,000 -- and after 20 total bids, it sold for $206k.

AND ... the ring Kobe gave his father, Joe "Jellybean" Bryant, is expected to hit the auction block soon and it could fetch even more than Pam's ring.

As for the identity of the new buyer, that has no been disclosed -- and may never be.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

The whole situation makes me sick to my stomach.

In a perfect world the NBA would buy the rings and (A) give them to Vanessa and the kids or (B) put them in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

In a perfect world the NBA would buy the rings and (A) give them to Vanessa and the kids or (B) put them in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

1. They're replica rings that Kobe gifted his parents 20 years ago(hers wasn't original I don't think his is either we'll find out when that gets auctioned off) I doubt Vanessa would want those or the Basketball HOF.
2. They were sold to the auction house per Kobe's permission but now they're auctioned(for obvious reasons).
3. I agree they don't look very good here and would probably explain why they were ignored at Kobe's memorial by everyone not named Shaq and MJ.

Its unfortunate but not surprising.....

I do wonder who the anonymous buyer is though.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

1. They're replica rings that Kobe gifted his parents 20 years ago(hers wasn't original I don't think his is either we'll find out when that gets auctioned off) I doubt Vanessa would want those or the Basketball HOF.
2. They were sold to the auction house per Kobe's permission but now they're auctioned(for obvious reasons).
3. I agree they don't look very good here and would probably explain why they were ignored at Kobe's memorial by everyone not named Shaq and MJ.

There are few people in this world that I've idolized more than Kobe. So forgive me if any of my posts come off hostile.

I think I read somewhere. That as of now. Kobe is the 1st or 2nd NBA MVP to ever die. I think both his family and the Bball HOF would happily accept or display a replica ring of his.

Also, Kobe agreed to the auctioning after a lengthy civil case, right? That wasn't what he initially wanted.

I'll admit I'm still not over Kobe's death. So in than vain. Maybe I'm being overly critical to the parties involved.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

There are few people in this world that I've idolized more than Kobe. So forgive me if any of my posts come off hostile.

I think I read somewhere. That as of now. Kobe is the 1st or 2nd NBA MVP to ever die. I think both his family and the Bball HOF would happily accept or display a replica ring of his.

Also, Kobe agreed to the auctioning after a lengthy civil case, right? That wasn't what he initially wanted.

I'll admit I'm still not over Kobe's death. So in than vain. Maybe I'm being overly critical to the parties involved.

Oh I understand and tbh I don't think much of his parents but in this case he agreed to these rings maybe not initially but in the end to cover what they owed the auction house.

I like to think his kids have the actual rings.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject:

How much money do his parents need?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
How much money do his parents need?

I'm sure they want more than Vanessa and the girls.

I'm pretty sure Vanessa won't give them a dime though not that they would ask her.

I just hope they don't write a tell all book one day..
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Everybody has a opinion without absolutely knowing nothing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: