TIPPING!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: TIPPING!

I'm expanding on the ESPN Radio topic.

How much do you normally tip and do you tip if you get bad service?

I tip 15% for great service

10% for good service

ok service well depends on my mood.

Bad service or attitude. Forget it. Your lucky I don't walk out or complain to the manager.

Of course I personally think it should be up to everyone to decide and despise when society or the place tries to dictate what you should leave.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Tipping. I am torn between my logic and the norm.

Year's ago, it was 10%. They say it went to 15% due to the cost of living. Now, 20% is the norm. But, if a $5.00 meal went to $20.00, the inflation factor is built in, so why increase the percentage?

Still I tend to tip 15-20%, usually closer to the latter. But what about the workers at Denny's?

You go to a Denny's, order some crap and a cup of coffee. The waitress fills your coffee over and over. Your bill is $5-10. You tip, @20%, a buck or two.

You go to a nice restaurant, You order your entree' and a glass or two of wine. The bill is $50. The server gets $10 bucks as a tip.

Did either work harder? Did one make 5-10 times more?

I think the scale should be variable scale , say 25% for lower costing meals to 10-15% for higher costing. If I go to the restaurant, as above, and my waiter/ess has 5 tables, they can make $50ish bucks an hour. Now, they split it with others, but still, I used to make $20-30 bucks an hour for a job that I worked at for many years. It seemed out of balance.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Year's ago, it was 10%. They say it went to 15% due to the cost of living. Now, 20% is the norm. But, if a $5.00 meal went to $20.00, the inflation factor is built in, so why increase the percentage?

Still I tend to tip 15-20%, usually closer to the latter. But what about the workers at Denny's?

You go to a Denny's, order some crap and a cup of coffee. The waitress fills your coffee over and over. Your bill is $5-10. You tip, @20%, a buck or two.

You go to a nice restaurant, You order your entree' and a glass or two of wine. The bill is $50. The server gets $10 bucks as a tip.

I think the scale should be variable scale , say 25% for lower costing meals to 10-15% for higher costing. If I go to the restaurant, as above, and my waiter/ess has 5 tables, they can make $50ish bucks an hour. Now, they split it with others, but still, I used to make $20-30 bucks an hour for a job that I worked at for many years. It seemed out of balance.

That's a good point.

Sometimes ive found that people like at Ihop work harder than some at fancy restaurants yet those at fancy ones expect a big tip.

I remember I went to a dennys a few weeks back and the guy took 30mins to take our order (after I complained) then NEVER came back to check up on us or refill our drinks.

It was like 12am and place was empty.

So we didn't leave a tip then he comes out side and actually has the balls to say hey you guys didn't leave a tip! lol.

Yeah cause you sucked!

Last edited by Kobeskillz on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Variable tipping for sure. Lower priced meals, I feel like I'm screwing the waiter if I give a 15% tip. It ends up being 20-25%. Higher end meals, I feel like I'm being ripped off if I consider that same 20-25% range. 15-20% feels much more appropriate. In the middle, around 15%.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject:

yes, do tip.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject:

TO EXPAND ON ESPN you would have to ask would you tip on take out. the answer is NO, unless i'm rich. OR in the event i'm getting so much food i know it was a hassle for them to have everything bagged/boxed up ready to go .and perhaps they have to help me out with some stuff to my car (if you're having friends over but order takeout, if you're buying lunch or food for co-workers). otherwise, sorry i'm not tipping because the local chinese place put my rice and kung pao in a bag. now if they are always super nice. and they have a tip cup at the front. i may throw a buck in there. maybe even two if i'm feeling good. hee hee.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject:

ahhh..anytime tipping comes up, makes me think of the tipping discussion in reservoir dogs lol

but i do 20% if its good

ha tuesday night we went to bdubs for some wings. food was cold and water never came around to ask us if the food was good. it was moderately busy, but we were a table of 5. needless to say, i left him 87 cents ha.
pjdodgers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject:

25% if it's great. 20% if it's good. 15% if its average. 10% if below average. That's regardless of whether its upscale or not.

If its at a bar, then I'll do $1 per drink, or $2 if its a fancy drink that requires them to do stuff beyond just pouring and handing it to me.
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject:

My thoughts:

http://i.imgur.com/kUHHRfJ.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject:

It depends on where I'm at. At higher end establishments I tip anywhere from 20-30% and have occasionally gone up to 50% tip on exceptional services. If I'm with my fiance I try not to tip female servers too much . For hole in the walls I tip from 15-20%. Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants probably have the rudest servers of all time that don't deserve even a penny but it just goes against every fiber of my being not to tip so I do it anyways.

Anyways I have a cheap coworker(he's chinese) who tips like 1 dollar or less on a 20 dollar tab. I just refuse to go out to eat with him anymore. Frankly its really embarrassing. We had a business lunch one time at Marche Moderne in South Coast Plaza with international customers and he actually said out loud "I DONT TIP MORE THAN 5%". Our server who was standing next to our table and all the other patrons turned their heads and stared directly at our table. I think I almost came close to dying of shame that day. (bleep) THAT GUY.....

But please do tip a decent amount. Having waited tables for years in college at a busy restaurant I can tell you its absolute hell but it teaches you a lot of responsibility.

Last edited by nickuku on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject:

my standard tip is doubling the tax
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject:

For take-out, it depends.

At CPK, will give folks behind the counter a couple of bucks for assembling all of the utensils, condiments, and to-go packaging if I go inside to pick it up. If they bring it out to me for curbside service, it's usually close to a full tip.

For Langers curbside service, I'll just hand the person a twenty for a #19 and tell them to keep the change. Prior to pick-up, they'll ask you how much change you want and they'll clip a couple of bucks to the clipboard just in case you change your mind when you get there.

I don't dine in at restaurants very often, but when I do, will tip around 20% or more depending on the level of service.
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
TO EXPAND ON ESPN you would have to ask would you tip on take out. the answer is NO, unless i'm rich. OR in the event i'm getting so much food i know it was a hassle for them to have everything bagged/boxed up ready to go .and perhaps they have to help me out with some stuff to my car (if you're having friends over but order takeout, if you're buying lunch or food for co-workers). otherwise, sorry i'm not tipping because the local chinese place put my rice and kung pao in a bag. now if they are always super nice. and they have a tip cup at the front. i may throw a buck in there. maybe even two if i'm feeling good. hee hee.

I agree, I tip generously when I dine at a restaurant but I never even heard of giving tip on take out, unless I'm loaded or I'm in a really good mood I think that's just ridiculous imo. And for that waitress to post Drew Brees' personal information on the internet I think she should be fired whether its against the law or not. That's the same kind of bleep that will spit on your food if you gave her attitude.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Standard tip 20 percent, with a base tip of $3 for low cost meals. If the service is awful then halve that. If the service is exceptional, then 25-30 percent, base tip of $5 for meals below that threshold.

Take out I tip 10 percent.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Base tip = 15% with a minimum of $1 per person, then I adjust for level of service or any "mess" my kids make.

A $2-$3 for takeout at a sit-down restaurants because it's the waiters that have to stop and "plate" the food for takeout instead of earning tips from sit-down guys.

$1 per person at buffet.
pjdodgers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants probably have the rudest servers of all time that don't deserve even a penny but it just goes against every fiber of my being not to tip so I do it anyways.

It's because at many of these restaurants, the server doesn't get to keep the tips. The owner does. So they have no incentive to be good servers and are as jaded as can be.

At those places where I'm confident the owner keeps the tip, I tip a dollar per person eating, regardless of how much the bill comes out to be.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

+1. I'd rather confront them if they sucked than be passive agressive and stiff them on a tip. minimum 15%. If they were really really bad, I won't leave a tip at all though. pay in cash of course.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I always tip 18-22% and I have never received bad service once in my life that I can remember.

Anytime I buy something to go or something at a cash register, if the credit card slip has a tip line I always put $1.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I start at doubling the tax and rounding up to the next dollar for basic service. If it's good service I go higher 20-25%. If it's great service I tip generously.

If it's bad service, I address the problem with the server and if the problem is rectified I tip as I usually do. If there's still an issue I address it with a manager. From my experience, the few times I have been disappointed in the service it has less to do with the server themselves and more to do with how the place is run - not enough servers/bartenders, slow kitchen, odd shift changes where your server suddenly changes near the end of the meal. So I let the manager know what the problem is and the few times I have had to do so, they find a way to make it right so there's no reason to withhold a reasonable tip. I've never really had a server that was horrible all on their own.
lakershead22
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I always tip. I'm not cheap and I never complain to the managers
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Exactly. This is what I normally do, but it all depends.

I really like sauces such as Ranch, Ketchup, Hot Sauce, Jalapenos, etc.

I hate it when they bring food to my table and storm right out without asking if me if I want anything else, especially if there is no hot sauce or ketchup at the table and then they take forever and a day to come back and check on you.

I also hate when they come to check if you're ready to order, but let's say you're not ready and tell them to come back in a minute, they take 10 minutes just to come back.

That is when I tip 10%, just a bit over tax. IDC what the standard is. If they are punctual, make sure your drinks are being refilled, bring ranch or ketchup right away then I have no problem tipping 20%.

Basically, It all depends on their service. Oh, and BTW OP I completely agree with you.

Last edited by xxsicrokerxx on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Heres another question for you guys. What about at bars? How much do you tip? Say if you buy 1 corona or something.
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject:

10%, no matter the service and food - haven't had a case of truly horrible experience yet to not tip
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject:

15% most of the time.
20% if the service was pretty good.
25% if it was exceptional service.
10% if it was kind of bad, but I'm not angry.
0% if it was really bad.

I normally have a $3 minimum. Even if I just ordered a coffee, but they take the time to refill it.
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I would say 8 out of 10 jobs where people get paid a salary or by the hour don't get free tips. So why should the 2 out of 10? Employee gets paid for service, I'm paying for service. It should stop there
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23
Jump to: