UFC 60 Gracie vs Hughes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Matt won me some cash!!!!

Royce and Kenny Shamrock should call it a career!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

the new rules hurt Royce...he used to just take the beating and wait for his opportunity to go his thing. Now, the new rules limit the unpredictability of the sport. Oh well...btw, I didn't see the match.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Matt Hughes was just too strong for Royce, once he got the side-mount I knew it was over.

I'm looking forward to the PRIDE welterweight grandprix. That card is loaded.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:

Staples Center crowd was booing Hughes?
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

I think Royce needs to adapt to the new rules. He's not used to the time limits and didn't seem like he was trying to do much of anything.

He didn't even wince when Hughes got him in the armbar.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I hate these new rules. I hadn't watched UFC in YEARS. So, they stop the match now? WTF? I remember back in the day, Royce would have sat in that arm bar, taken the beating forever, letting Hughes wear himself out, then get lock him into a submission move and called it a night.

UFC has become very girlie.

In a total barbaric sort of way.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I hate these new rules. I hadn't watched UFC in YEARS. So, they stop the match now? WTF? I remember back in the day, Royce would have sat in that arm bar, taken the beating forever, letting Hughes wear himself out, then get lock him into a submission move and called it a night.

That's why Pride is better. Less rules. Pride is supposed to bring a show to Nevada soon. I guess the athletic commission will make them water down their rules too.

I remember the good old days where groin kicks, headbutts, and elbows to the back of the head were legal in the UFC.

Last edited by Tark the Shark on Sun May 28, 2006 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, good luck getting that stuff sanctioned by states cause it's never gonna happen.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

That's why Pride is better. Less rules. Pride is supposed to bring a show to Nevada soon. I guess the athletic commission will make them water down their rules too.

I remember the good old days where groin kicks, headbutts, and elbows to the back of the head were legal in the UFC.

only real differene between pride and ufc other than the fact that pride has way better fighters overall is that pride doesnt allow elbows but they do allow knee strikes when the opponent is on the ground. UFC allows elbows but no knees.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

UFC has other restrictions like they won't let you kick an opponent that's on the ground and no fighting in a gi. Gi chokes are a big weapon in Pride. Two of my favorite moves in Pride are stomping on the opponent and the soccer kick to the head while your opponent is down both illegal in UFC.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
UFC has other restrictions like they won't let you kick an opponent that's on the ground and no fighting in a gi. Gi chokes are a big weapon in Pride. Two of my favorite moves in Pride are stomping on the opponent and the soccer kick to the head while your opponent is down both illegal in UFC.

Do you happen to like Wanderlie Silva, b/c that man has some devastating foot stomps and soccer kicks.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject:

I don't care for fighting. Seems pointless to me.

However, I was just seriously pissed off to see the rules have changed like that.

Without the rule changes, anyone think Hughes would have still won?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

ouch
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

However, I was just seriously pissed off to see the rules have changed like that.

what rule change? The game has changed a lot since Royce first stepped into UFC. IF you are referring to the Gi, I still doubt Royce wouldve stood a chance, he was absolutely dominated in every aspect. You must of course give a tememdous amount of credit to the Gracies b/c with out BJJ there would be no MMA. Matt showed great BJJ skills when he fought Royce, he was able to pass his half guard like it was nothing. Of course Royce is an old man now, similar to Ken Shamrock and its not really fair putting them up against guys in their prime like Matt or Rich Franklin. I woldnt mind seeing a Royce v Shamrock but both of them must agree to retire after the fights over no matter what the outcome.
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Royce v Shamrock III
Tryangles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

vvbandit wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

what rule change? The game has changed a lot since Royce first stepped into UFC. IF you are referring to the Gi, I still doubt Royce wouldve stood a chance, he was absolutely dominated in every aspect. You must of course give a tememdous amount of credit to the Gracies b/c with out BJJ there would be no MMA. Matt showed great BJJ skills when he fought Royce, he was able to pass his half guard like it was nothing. Of course Royce is an old man now, similar to Ken Shamrock and its not really fair putting them up against guys in their prime like Matt or Rich Franklin. I woldnt mind seeing a Royce v Shamrock but both of them must agree to retire after the fights over no matter what the outcome.

+1
I Give it up to Matt, he dominated. Royce fought like his age and looked as if he forgot this was 2006 not 96. It's a sad day for anyone that has trained with the Gracies in here. I hope someone in the family steps it up for their name sake... (And business sake if you think about it). I would like to see Renzo or either of Rorion's sons step in the ring and fight Matt.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Tryangles wrote:
vvbandit wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

+1
I Give it up to Matt, he dominated. Royce fought like his age and looked as if he forgot this was 2006 not 96. It's a sad day for anyone that has trained with the Gracies in here. I hope someone in the family steps it up for their name sake... (And business sake if you think about it). I would like to see Renzo or either of Rorion's sons step in the ring and fight Matt.

I dont think the Gracies have anything to prove IMO. Biz wise I could definately see why they would do it (I think Rocye made close to a million for his fight against Hughes) but other than that there is no reason. They changed the way the world looked at competitve fighting and created a revolution. I wouldnt mind seeing the Gracies in a grappling competition against modern day MMA fighters. Maybe this has already happened at the ADCC (I think, its Abu Dhabi something) I honestly dont know enough about the rest of the family to determine how well they would do in striclty MMA fights.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

It's kind of funny, Gracie brought inovation to fighting...but stopped following the inovation. I'm glad he got his rear handed to him. He was way too confident in his ways, just like the old timers he wiped out back in the day. A nice dose of irony. I HATE when guys get complacent as if they've conquered the hill. Basically Gracie went out there with the Shaq mindset...and got worked.
Tryangles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Help me understand this... How did he go out there with the Shaq mindset? I don't see a lazy fighter who invented shared his art going at this 70% all the time and pointing fingers... Anything Royce Gracie said before the fight was pretty much on the same level as Matt Hughes if not less. What would you be saying if Matt gott his ass handed to him? You can pretty much make the same argument and have said that Matt was too confident. etc. etc.

I'm so sick and tired of the perception that the Gracie's think or act like they are better than they are when there's really no proof or truth behind it. I'm sorry but after training 3+ years with Rorion, Royce, and Rickson at their academys, I can pretty much say your observations are way off the mark.

By the way, the Gracies never stopped fighting and innovating after UFC. Go to youtube.com and run seaches on Ralph, Renzo, Royler, Royce, Ryan, and Rickson Gracie. You'll find alot more NHB matches long after UFC. You should probably know also that Rorion's two oldest sons are preparing for for the K-1 and Pride circuit in Japan as well.

Hindsight is 20 20 my friend...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: