Shaq disses Big Ben and some evidence that Ben may not be a Piston next year

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
truelakersfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Shaq disses Big Ben and some evidence that Ben may not be a Piston next year

After everyone saw that Big Ben put Snaq on his butt. Snaq now is saying he was fouled. Just like the "Great Cry Baby." Face it Big Daddy Big Ben has your number and has had it for a while at least since the 2004 Finals series

Here is the article

After block, Ben
rejects Shaq notion

By MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

MIAMI - On your typical NBA day, Shaquille O'Neal has almost no use for Ben Wallace. In O'Neal's mind, Wallace is among the legion of annoying defenders who resort to flopping to get calls and whining to the refs when they can't contend with the Diesel's physical play.
So it came as no surprise that after Miami had its lead cut to 3-2 in the Eastern Conference finals, Shaq gave Wallace no credit for coming up with one of the great all-time blocks against O'Neal, a play that the Pistons hope will continue to resonate here tonight in Game6.

"He thought I fouled him?" said Wallace, when told that O'Neal said that Wallace got more than just the ball when he rejected Shaq's shot and sent O'Neal sprawling to the court in Detroit's 91-78 victory. "I'm not surprised he said that. All I'll say is...it's all good."

If the Pistons come all the way back from the 3-1 deficit to win this series, Wallace's play is certain to be their defining playoff moment, just as Tayshaun Prince's sensational block on Reggie Miller's breakaway layup in the 2004 East Finals fueled the Pistons' championship run. Prince's full-court dash and swat became an instant classic, but sending O'Neal Earth-bound puts Wallace's rejection in another realm.

"Shaq is still the toughest matchup in this league, still the strongest guy around, and for Ben to do that was huge for this team," said Detroit's veteran center Dale Davis. "We had to win. We'd be going home if we didn't."

Wallace's third-quarter block set the defensive tone, as the Pistons held Miami to only 13 fourth-quarter points in sending the Heat to just its third loss in its last 12playoff games.

Before Wallace's block, his biggest impact during the series came before Game4 when he took Flip Saunders to task for not practicing the Pistons hard enough at the defensive end. His comments did not sit well with Detroit management, especially with Wallace entering free agency this offseason. There are already rumblings within the organization that no matter Wallace's asking price, this will be his last go-round with the Pistons.
But he left the Palace of Auburn Hills late Wednesday night to the cheers of adoring fans who stayed late to send the team off to Miami. When someone in a No.3 Pistons jersey yelled out, "Great block, Ben!" he took the same right hand he used to stuff Shaq and raised it in a celebratory salute.

Last edited by truelakersfan on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Shaq is a baby, no suprise, he wont give credit on a clear block.
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Snaqeer has never given anybody any credit while he was playing against them....he only would give someone props when they retired.

And this is another reason why I never liked the guy, as a person and as a player.

he is a poor sport...

Never won a rebounding title, shot blocking title, and DPOY award.... and yet disses a player half his size and who has twice his heart and character.
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

why does everyone find everything snaq does funny or cute...the guy goes out there talks smack and curses on tv and everyone loves it.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:
Snaqeer has never given anybody any credit while he was playing against them....he only would give someone props when they retired.

And this is another reason why I never liked the guy, as a person and as a player.

he is a poor sport...

Never won a rebounding title, shot blocking title, and DPOY award.... and yet disses a player half his size and who has twice his heart and character.

Wow are u serious, not one rebounding tittle, block shoots and i knew he never one a DPOY. Thats embarssing, for a player of his size, and ability, and recongintion he gets...
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Sonicc64 wrote:

he is a poor sport...

Wow are u serious, not one rebounding tittle, block shoots and i knew he never one a DPOY. Thats embarssing, for a player of his size, and ability, and recongintion he gets...

surely, YOU can't be serious.... you didn't know that SNAQEER is a SERIOUS underachiever defensively? He is like Steve Nash... = One demensional

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Sonicc64 wrote:
Snaqeer has never given anybody any credit while he was playing against them....he only would give someone props when they retired. And this is another reason why I never liked the guy, as a person and as a player. he is a poor sport... Never won a rebounding title, shot blocking title, and DPOY award.... and yet disses a player half his size and who has twice his heart and character.
Should Shaq be considered among the best All-Time centers (with the likes of Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Mikan, etc.) - given the just mentioned statistics. That he has been physically blessed beyond belief (size, speed, dexerity, etc.), he hasn't carried a team to win the NBA Finals - even if the Heat wins this year, everybody knows that it is because of DWade.
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
Sonicc64 wrote:
Snaqeer has never given anybody any credit while he was playing against them....he only would give someone props when they retired. And this is another reason why I never liked the guy, as a person and as a player. he is a poor sport... Never won a rebounding title, shot blocking title, and DPOY award.... and yet disses a player half his size and who has twice his heart and character.
Should Shaq be considered among the best All-Time centers (with the likes of Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Mikan, etc.) - given the just mentioned statistics. That he has been physically blessed beyond belief (size, speed, dexerity, etc.), he hasn't carried a team to win the NBA Finals - even if the Heat wins this year, everybody knows that it is because of DWade.

^^^ sure he should be considered, just the same way Steve Nash is considered one of the top 10 PGs ( Won MVP back to back ) of all time by the mainstream sports media. Being one-demensional is en vogue these days.

A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Should Shaq be SERIOUSLY considered in the same breadth as Wilt, Kareem and Russell? These centers actually led their teams to the Finals - in fact, they were actually ON THE COURT when the crucial games were being decided. Even during the Lakers' glory days, he wasn't on the bench because his presence/blocking ability/scoring ability/defense/etc. couldn't compensate for his ability to make free throws. Does anybody remember when Shaq was shooting so quick because he was afraid of being fouled. Does anybody remember why the "Shaq" Rule/Foul" was created?!?!

NOTE: Shaq, with his athletic ability, truely could have reset the standards for centers - if he really wanted to be a basketball player, that is the most disappointing thing. Shaq doesn't take challenges well - as noted by his many reactions. All the above-listed players relish/looked forward with great anticipation playing against other great players because it sharpened their skills

Bird / Magic
Wilt / Russell
Kareem / Parish
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaq disses Big Ben and some evidence that Ben may not be a Piston next year

truelakersfan wrote:
After everyone saw that Big Ben put Snaq on his butt. Snaq now is saying he was fouled. Just like the "Great Cry Baby." Face it Big Daddy Big Ben has your number and has had it for a while at least since the 2004 Finals series

Here is the article

After block, Ben
rejects Shaq notion

By MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

MIAMI - On your typical NBA day, Shaquille O'Neal has almost no use for Ben Wallace. In O'Neal's mind, Wallace is among the legion of annoying defenders who resort to flopping to get calls and whining to the refs when they can't contend with the Diesel's physical play. ...

Before Wallace's block, his biggest impact during the series came before Game4 when he took Flip Saunders to task for not practicing the Pistons hard enough at the defensive end. His comments did not sit well with Detroit management, especially with Wallace entering free agency this offseason. There are already rumblings within the organization that no matter Wallace's asking price, this will be his last go-round with the Pistons.

WOW. Normally, I'd say that would be insane, but Dumars DID fire Carlisle after winning 50+ games, and fired/ released Brown right after the title for talking with the Knicks DURING the playoffs.

Dumars and the owners run things from the top down. Step out of line and they kick your face in.

Who knows what might happen?

MIM
DicksHutnick
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

You guys are letting your hatred for Shaq cloud your judgement. Wallace got all kinds of body on that play. Should've been a two-miss foul for Shaq. Err.. two shot foul.
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Should Shaq be SERIOUSLY considered in the same breadth as Wilt, Kareem and Russell? These centers actually led their teams to the Finals - in fact, they were actually ON THE COURT when the crucial games were being decided. Even during the Lakers' glory days, he wasn't on the bench because his presence/blocking ability/scoring ability/defense/etc. couldn't compensate for his ability to make free throws. Does anybody remember when Shaq was shooting so quick because he was afraid of being fouled. Does anybody remember why the "Shaq" Rule/Foul" was created?!?!

NOTE: Shaq, with his athletic ability, truely could have reset the standards for centers - if he really wanted to be a basketball player, that is the most disappointing thing. Shaq doesn't take challenges well - as noted by his many reactions. All the above-listed players relish/looked forward with great anticipation playing against other great players because it sharpened their skills

Bird / Magic
Wilt / Russell
Kareem / Parish

my top 5 centers all-time are :

Kareem - Champion at every level
Wilt - G.O.A.T.
Russell - Lord of the Rings
Hakeem - was truly a dream to see play and the first African player to win back to back rings
Moses Malone - one word = relentless
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

DicksHutnick wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

You guys are letting your hatred for Shaq cloud your judgement. Wallace got all kinds of body on that play. Should've been a two-miss foul for Shaq. Err.. two shot foul.

what is good for the goose.... how many times has SNaqeer tried to straight up block a player's shot with one hand on said player's hip?
answer: 85% of the time.
and now you say that the DPOY can't get the same call?
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Bird / Magic
Wilt / Russell
Kareem / Parish

my top 5 centers all-time are :

Kareem - Champion at every level
Wilt - G.O.A.T.
Russell - Lord of the Rings
Hakeem - was truly a dream to see play and the first African player to win back to back rings
Moses Malone - one word = relentless

Excellent list. I agree wholeheartedly.
statman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Malone > Shaq LOL. You guys are letting your hate cloud your judgement.
siegbach
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

you guys have got to be kidding me.if shag was still a laker you would be singing his praises of being the best center in the league.don't sit there and say that if the lakers didn't have shag that they would have won 3 titles.if it weren't for shag,kobe,and phil and a great supporting cast,the lakers wouldn't have won squat.remember the lakers didn't get over the hump until phil became the lakers head coach.in my opinion shag is probably in the top 3 for greatest centers of all time along with wilt,and kareem.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

If the egotistical 'Shaq' was still a Laker, we'd be pissed about how he won't ever come into the season in shape and how the Clippers would be title-contenders.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

btw, link?
pghlakerfan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

Shaq is a better center than Moses Malone. But I have to agree with the point that the Diesel seemingly sdhould have better stats t han what he has- but as Shaq has said himself- and I will take him at his word- its all bout championships- and how many do Malone and Wilt have?
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject:

siegbach wrote:
you guys have got to be kidding me.if shag was still a laker you would be singing his praises of being the best center in the league.don't sit there and say that if the lakers didn't have shag that they would have won 3 titles.if it weren't for shag,kobe,and phil and a great supporting cast,the lakers wouldn't have won squat.remember the lakers didn't get over the hump until phil became the lakers head coach.in my opinion shag is probably in the top 3 for greatest centers of all time along with wilt,and kareem.

you must be a little kid with NO SENSE of NBA history if you think that SNAQEER OATMEAL is a better center than Bill Russell, who is Lord of the rings, and who had to play against Wilt ( the current G.O.A.T. over 80 times ) ( Which is way more times than SNAQ had play agasint comparable opponents ) SNaq has to play in a league full of weak centers or lets just say Centers who would rather be POWER FORWARDS. Come be to me with a better arguement than the " without SNaq we would not have 3 titles " , cause I could kill that arguement too.

Kids these days
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject:

statman wrote:
Malone > Shaq LOL. You guys are letting your hate cloud your judgement.

all I said about Malone was that he was RELENTLESS, but you can have your cake.... SNAQ is a top 10 center all-time.

Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:

pghlakerfan wrote:
Shaq is a better center than Moses Malone. But I have to agree with the point that the Diesel seemingly sdhould have better stats t han what he has- but as Shaq has said himself- and I will take him at his word- its all bout championships- and how many do Malone and Wilt have?

Malone and WIlt had a LOT more competition standing in their way than SNaq ever had.... prime example;;;; SNaq couldn't best Hakeem in his prime. ANd Snaq was a lot faster in his orlando days too, and he rebounded the ball better as well.
siegbach
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:
siegbach wrote:

you must be a little kid with NO SENSE of NBA history if you think that SNAQEER OATMEAL is a better center than Bill Russell, who is Lord of the rings, and who had to play against Wilt ( the current G.O.A.T. over 80 times ) ( Which is way more times than SNAQ had play agasint comparable opponents ) SNaq has to play in a league full of weak centers or lets just say Centers who would rather be POWER FORWARDS. Come be to me with a better arguement than the " without SNaq we would not have 3 titles " , cause I could kill that arguement too.

Kids these days

LOL!
LakeLakeLake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject:

Sonicc64 wrote:
pghlakerfan wrote:

Malone and WIlt had a LOT more competition standing in their way than SNaq ever had.... prime example;;;; SNaq couldn't best Hakeem in his prime. ANd Snaq was a lot faster in his orlando days too, and he rebounded the ball better as well.

Weak argument. You know that Kobe couldn't beat Jordan in his prime...

Shaq was an unexperienced youngster when he met Akeem in the finals. And Akeem wasn't that much better as some people on this board want to make you think. It was more like the other year, when Akeem battled Ewing. I think they were head-to-head with a slight advantage for Akeem.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: