Wanna Play in the Summer Pro League?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Wanna Play in the Summer Pro League?

Think you can play in the NBA Summer Pro League? The SPL is holding tryouts in early July. Visit www.summerproleague.com for more info. If you decide to join, please PM me for more info!

Steve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Is there a womens league? I might have a shot there...
showtime3232
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

man id love to do it (and was contemplating last week), but id have to fly over to the USA from australia which would be expensive, so ultimately to get the most out of the trip id need to do the summer pro league as well as a scouting camp or two.

if u can suggest anything, id reallly appreciate ur help
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

showtime3232 wrote:
man id love to do it (and was contemplating last week), but id have to fly over to the USA from australia which would be expensive, so ultimately to get the most out of the trip id need to do the summer pro league as well as a scouting camp or two.

if u can suggest anything, id reallly appreciate ur help

well the SPL does give you a discount for a hotel (65 a night) in long beach....that might help with expenses. if you are good, it is worth it...but i dont know how good you are. you would have to impress coach Samaki Walker or Sean Rooks

If you arent that good, its not worth the price of 340. But if you can play...its a great opportunity to have scouts watch you. even mitch and jerry west watched last year as the free agents battled.

let me know if you want to join!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
showtime3232
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

The thing is man, I don't know how good I am compared to USA talent. I find the game very easy over here, and have played and beaten fairly comfortably some guys in Australian National Junior teams in 1on1, but from the way I see it this is a whole new level. I have no one to properly evaluate my skills.

i'm sending u a PM
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

i dont know what to say...can you play with von wafer and other young players? if not, maybe keep working on ur game and tryout next yr!
popowapu
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

have a question. can someone w/ no high school diploma enter the nba?
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I know there's an age requirement, not sure about a HS diploma requirement.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

i've always said that if i could be on an nba team and shoot mid range jumpers, while never having to shoot long distance, defend, pass, run, jump, set screens, or run plays....i think i could make it.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

dont think you need a high school diploma...as long as you can play. its a once a year opportunity...if you make it...it can change ur life. if you dont make the team, u lose 340
popowapu
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
dont think you need a high school diploma...as long as you can play. its a once a year opportunity...if you make it...it can change ur life. if you dont make the team, u lose 340

so why don't those streetballers try that thing out? i've heard a lot of them have the skills to make it in the nba
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

popowapu wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:

so why don't those streetballers try that thing out? i've heard a lot of them have the skills to make it in the nba
not true.

streetballers spend so much time on fancy tricks and ballhandling that isn't used in an NBA game anyway, that they're missing entire skillsets. Shooting, working behind screens, playing defense, rebounding, team play, any sort of fundamentals, etc. etc. etc.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
popowapu wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:

not true.

streetballers spend so much time on fancy tricks and ballhandling that isn't used in an NBA game anyway, that they're missing entire skillsets. Shooting, working behind screens, playing defense, rebounding, team play, any sort of fundamentals, etc. etc. etc.

thats somewhat true. but the real reason most street ballers dont play in the nba. or even in those summer leagues. are because their not Big enough. not tall enough. most street ballers are 6'5 and under. you catch and occasional 6'7 guy or maybe even a 6'9 to 6'10 guy. but a guy that tall is going to take his game else where to make more money.

so that means for the 6'5 guys that are street ballers, they are going to play SG against Kobe bryant. I will go out on a limb and say their not as quick, fast as Raja Bell. and bell barely made it to the big leagues.

check their speed the next time you watch a street ball game. you see guys playing hard, jumping high, but speed is not the thing in most cases. especially for the taller guys. the short guys are usually quick, but even then, their not brevon knight fast, earl boykins fast.

and we're just talking offense. most people that play hoop dont play defense. and the few that try, aren't ready to play de against elite nba starting or even 8th men for extended minutes for 82 games straight.

they say, SMush parker was a street baller once. but lets look at smush.

6'4 with ridiculously long arms. and can jump out the gym. quick, but not lightening quick. fast, but nothing to talk about. and you saw him start to slow down late in the season. 82 games is alot of games folks.

now granted you pay me 500grand plus or whatever the minimum is now. and you best believe, I would play my heart and soul out. I would probably be huffin and puffin come game 46. but oh well, i soon as i see that check hit the bank on payday. I would be good for an additional 5 games. my check would be like gatorade.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Charles wrote:
popowapu wrote:
lakersdynasty999 wrote:

not true.

thats somewhat true. but the real reason most street ballers dont play in the nba. or even in those summer leagues. are because their not Big enough. not tall enough. most street ballers are 6'5 and under. you catch and occasional 6'7 guy or maybe even a 6'9 to 6'10 guy. but a guy that tall is going to take his game else where to make more money.

so that means for the 6'5 guys that are street ballers, they are going to play SG against Kobe bryant. I will go out on a limb and say their not as quick, fast as Raja Bell. and bell barely made it to the big leagues.

check their speed the next time you watch a street ball game. you see guys playing hard, jumping high, but speed is not the thing in most cases. especially for the taller guys. the short guys are usually quick, but even then, their not brevon knight fast, earl boykins fast.

and we're just talking offense. most people that play hoop dont play defense. and the few that try, aren't ready to play de against elite nba starting or even 8th men for extended minutes for 82 games straight.

they say, SMush parker was a street baller once. but lets look at smush.

6'4 with ridiculously long arms. and can jump out the gym. quick, but not lightening quick. fast, but nothing to talk about. and you saw him start to slow down late in the season. 82 games is alot of games folks.

now granted you pay me 500grand plus or whatever the minimum is now. and you best believe, I would play my heart and soul out. I would probably be huffin and puffin come game 46. but oh well, i soon as i see that check hit the bank on payday. I would be good for an additional 5 games. my check would be like gatorade.

very true...the SPL has become a guard oriented league. very few big men try out because of a lack of confidence...if you got size, it is very easy to make the squad compared to a guard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: