Help/Advice needed...... Home network/Router questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Help/Advice needed...... Home network/Router questions...

Is there anyone out there who knows the ins and outs of a home network?

There are a few things i would like advice on.
As the administrator Id like to:

police a certain port, ban access to file sharing programs(or effect it somehow) and be able to turn the Internet connection on or off from my computer (connected to the main port).

Anyone think they can help? If there is more i can do as far as policing my network or monitoring it please suggest anything.
thanks
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Not sure what you mean by policing a certain port. If you're talking about opening up a port so that certain programs can access the internet, you would have to poke holes into your firewall to allow that access. To do that, you would have to access your router through your browser and look for port triggering or port forwarding. Enter the port number you want to use and then set it to that program. Open the program and set the port to that number and there you go.

File sharing programs is automatically turned off. You won't share files from your personal computer unless you turn it on. I'm about 90% sure about this, but if someone else knows more, please chime in.

As for turning off internet conection from your computer, I'm not sure if it's possible unless you turn off the router manually. So not certain.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Not sure what you mean by policing a certain port. If you're talking about opening up a port so that certain programs can access the internet, you would have to poke holes into your firewall to allow that access. To do that, you would have to access your router through your browser and look for port triggering or port forwarding. Enter the port number you want to use and then set it to that program. Open the program and set the port to that number and there you go.

File sharing programs is automatically turned off. You won't share files from your personal computer unless you turn it on. I'm about 90% sure about this, but if someone else knows more, please chime in.

As for turning off internet conection from your computer, I'm not sure if it's possible unless you turn off the router manually. So not certain.

what i meant by policing a certian port is i have a 4 port router, i want to monitor the computer that is using port #2.
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

Simple stuff bam. You need your router's IP address and access it with your computer. You'll likely need an admin/default login and password. From there you can often make any sort of administration changes like port monitoring (sometimes privledges).

Also, for port privledges, filesharing, and remote admin - there are program that will help with such things. If you need further instructions, I can help or at least point you in the right direction.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: