HELP! Sprained Ankle.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: HELP! Sprained Ankle.

I sprained my ankle ballin' up some fools yesterday. I basically landed, lost my footing, and rolled it over. I felt a pop, which felt exactly like when you crack your nuckles or neck. I got up....walked it off......jogged a little bit....then tried stretching. I went home...took my shoe off....and it started getting bigger. Put some ice on it.....elevated it.....put more ice.....took advil.......then put some home-remedy anti-inflamatory on it and wrapped it up. I woke up this morning and I could barely walk on it. I heated up my ankle.....and now I'm headed to the doctor.

Any advice on treatment. I know the doctor will just inform me to stay off the foot, take pills, and wait it out. I'm just going to make sure I didn't tear anything. Any helpful home-remedies, or treatment would be greatly appreciated.
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

Ice it as much as possible!!

At first it might bruise over bad but after awhile you'll get some movement in it.

My sports doctor told me to try to write the ABC's with my toes in the air. This exercise gives your foot some strength.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

If it turns purple, you know you've torn something. You're pretty much dead on though in what a doc will tell you, which is pretty much all you can do.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Got back from the Doc. Possible chip, I gotta call back tomorrow to see what the Radiologist sees. Good advice guys....I'll definitely try that ABC's thing.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject:

I sprained my ankle REAL REAL bad about a year ago.
Nothing beats sticking your foot in a bucket of ice for 20 minutes AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.

Ice packs, bags of ice... pfffft... They are not NEARLY as effective. Seriously... Stick it in a bucket of ice. It hurts but its worth it.

Also, make sure you wrap it.

One thing that isnt mentioned often is a magnetic sleeve. I got one from a physical therapist.. Basically its a neoprean sleeve with tons of little magnets all around it that aid in blood flow. You should try to find one of those. Once i started wearing it my ankle strengthened up ALOT (i had problems with it for 7 or 8 months)
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
If it turns purple, you know you've torn something. You're pretty much dead on though in what a doc will tell you, which is pretty much all you can do.

Seriously?

Damn. I rolled my ankle about a year ago, driving in for a floater off the glass, came down on someone's foot and rolled it. There was a very loud pop. My friend, David, screams out, "Oh (bleep)!! He's broke his ankle!!!" I laid on the floor for a few minutes, writhing in pain.

Finally, I got up, walked it off, played one more game hobbling the entire time and doing my best to not put ANY weight on that foot. After that game was over, I went home and looked at my ankle. It was swollen up probably 3 times it's normal size. I iced it and kept it elevated, etc.

The next day, I wake up and take a look at my ankle, and it's badly bruised. From my toes all the way back is the nastiest shades of purple, green and blue I've ever seen. But I had just rolled the same ankle a few months earlier, so I put on the walking boot and crutches I had got at the previous trip to the Dr to get around. Took me about 3 weeks to even walk on it.

So, does that mean I really tore something? WTF?
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Socks wrote:

Seriously?

Damn. I rolled my ankle about a year ago, driving in for a floater off the glass, came down on someone's foot and rolled it. There was a very loud pop. My friend, David, screams out, "Oh (bleep)!! He's broke his ankle!!!" I laid on the floor for a few minutes, writhing in pain.

Finally, I got up, walked it off, played one more game hobbling the entire time and doing my best to not put ANY weight on that foot. After that game was over, I went home and looked at my ankle. It was swollen up probably 3 times it's normal size. I iced it and kept it elevated, etc.

The next day, I wake up and take a look at my ankle, and it's badly bruised. From my toes all the way back is the nastiest shades of purple, green and blue I've ever seen. But I had just rolled the same ankle a few months earlier, so I put on the walking boot and crutches I had got at the previous trip to the Dr to get around. Took me about 3 weeks to even walk on it.

a sprain is a tear.. depends on the grade.

For my ankle sprain, which was severe but no major tendon/ligament injuries my entire foot was black and blue and the bruising went HALF WAY up my shin. You could see bruising with full length socks on. Black/Green/Blue etc... it was ugly.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I thought he was saying if you tear a ligament or tendon it bruises.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

good luck I sprained my ankle just like that and 5 years ago and it still bothers me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

sprained mine about 3 weeks ago and i can still feel some discomfort in certain movements in the ankle...I can play ball now, but I went out to Rite Aide and got a ankle brace to wear out there..

Couples of months ago i sprained my thumb, it swelled up down to the wrist!!
Doctor said it was torn ligaments and mentioned that the older oyu get, the LONGER it takes to heal...I STILL feel the pain.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Socks wrote:

Seriously?

a sprain is a tear.. depends on the grade.

For my ankle sprain, which was severe but no major tendon/ligament injuries my entire foot was black and blue and the bruising went HALF WAY up my shin. You could see bruising with full length socks on. Black/Green/Blue etc... it was ugly.

Jesus Freaking Christ.......That's just NASTY dude. Luckely, my ankle didn't change color.....only golf ball size.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

ajaxxx wrote:
good luck I sprained my ankle just like that and 5 years ago and it still bothers me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject:

turbulent wrote:
sprained mine about 3 weeks ago and i can still feel some discomfort in certain movements in the ankle...I can play ball now, but I went out to Rite Aide and got a ankle brace to wear out there..

Couples of months ago i sprained my thumb, it swelled up down to the wrist!!
Doctor said it was torn ligaments and mentioned that the older oyu get, the LONGER it takes to heal...I STILL feel the pain.

Yeah dude....I'm never going to play ball again unless I have that ankle brace. Sprained ankle's suck.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: