OT - 20 Questions with D Wade

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: OT - 20 Questions with D Wade

Quote:
20 questions with Dwyane Wade
DAN LE BATARD

1 Something in your i-pod that might surprise people?

`A song from Creed. It's touching. Talks about how you can soar and rise above. I feel like it tells my story.'

2 What would you award the gold, silver and bronze medal to coolest-looking plays of your career?

`Bronze would probably be going around my back against Cleveland on the sideline around a defender and lobbing to Shaq, all instincts, finishing with the lob to the Big Fella. Silver is the dunk on Jermaine O'Neal in my first playoffs. Gold is the block of Amare Stoudemire last season and then making a 55-footer. That was pretty athletic. I've been trying to do it since and haven't. I've had some back-to-the-basket flips, too, over my head, but we'll create a different category for those.'

3 You have a favorite basketball photograph of yourself up in your house?

`Hitting the game-winner against Trevor Ariza in Madison Square Garden at the buzzer.'

4 Describe what it feels like to be in what you call "The Matrix."

'It's one of the best feelings in the world. It's like an out-of-body experience. You feel unstoppable. I didn't know I had 17 points in a row against Detroit [during the regular season]. You don't know until after, and you are like, 'I did that?' The basket gets bigger. Everything slows down in the matrix. If you are at home, the crowd is there. If you aren't at home, the crowd isn't there.'

5 You see a boxscore in which Kobe Bryant shoots 36 times and you think what?

`Wow. Shaq is always telling me to be aggressive, but I hate looking at a boxscore and seeing that I shot 28, 29 times. I'm not on Kobe's team, so I don't know if they have to do it that way. But I don't like to see it next to my name. The best boxscore for me is 20 shots, very high field-goal percentage, don't want to miss more than five, six shots. Plus seven or eight assists, seven or eight rebounds, two blocks, two turnovers. And a win.'

6 What comes up on your caller ID when Shaq calls?

`BIG.'

7 You hit a game-winner during the regular season and shouted, "That's what I do! That's what I do!" For someone so humble, where did that come from?

`[Laughter] I'm glad people saw that. That means they're watching me. It was in the moment. I had been out for a few games, and it was my way of saying that I was back. I'm a competitor. Big shots, the adrenaline in your body goes 100 miles an hour. Sometimes, stuff comes out. But that is what I do. I live for those moments.'

8 Very early in the season, in one of the first games, Antoine Walker and Jason Williams got into a shouting match on the court. Did you worry then about the new parts fitting?

`I liked it, actually. I don't usually, but it showed fire inside two guys who were quiet to that point, trying to fit in. You never look for things like that to happen, but I told them when I came to the bench that I liked it. You like passion. Too bad it was on TV because people get the wrong idea, but you have to go through things with teammates. It was a good thing.'

9 You do anything special with your diet?

`I can eat whatever I want. Cheesesteaks, whatever. Young metabolism. I'm sure it'll change when I get older, but I'm at 5 percent body fat. I didn't even do very much lifting of weights.'

10 Fame has brought you a lot of perks, everything from being one of People Magazine's most beautiful people to being on the covers of magazines and video games. What has been your biggest pinch-me moment?

`I had so many in the offseason. I did a lot of traveling. But going back to my old neighborhood and opening up a camp for underprivileged kids touched me more than anything. When I was young, I always heard about famous people going to other schools but nobody ever, ever came to mine, and I always wondered what the other kids did to get so lucky. I had a pretty productive summer. Presenting at the Video Music Awards. Getting the ESPY. Signing my Converse and Gatorade deals. But what touched me most was opening that camp. I was in the same position as a lot of those kids. And the way they listened to me and looked up to me was special.'

11 Most emotional moment you've had in basketball?

`The one we just had, after winning the Eastern Conference finals. But that's just so far. I feel another one coming.'

12 Which gives you the greater rush -- dunking the ball yourself or lobbing it to Shaq for a bigger slam?

`Me dunking it.'

13 Your biggest basketball weakness?

`I feel I'm getting better every year. That comes with confidence and maturity. But I've got a long way to go. When I can come up the court and hit a pull-up three in the rhythm of the game like Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, that'll be improvement. Still got a long way to go, so Miami doesn't have to get bored with me yet. They haven't seen the best of me yet. But they don't need me shooting threes now. We've got guys who do that. It's my job to set them up.'

14 How often do fans come up to you worried about how often you fall to the ground?

`All the time. I thank them for their concern. But that's how I came into basketball and that's how I'll leave basketball. That's my style. I'm always sore. I always take a beating. But I'm always going to stand, no matter the circumstances. So thank you for your concern. But sorry. That's who I am.'

15 If you had gotten past Detroit last season, would you have played in the Finals?

''I really can't say. I probably would have been very limited. I wasn't able to get around. I kind of look at myself as a tough player. I would have tried to gut it out, but that was a pain I never felt before. Pain is understatement. I couldn't get comfortable at all, sitting down, laying down, no sleep. I couldn't shoot for seven weeks after that, not even with my son. Such a weird injury, on a move I make 60 times a game. And when I got the flu, I was like, ``Not again. This isn't happening to me again.'' '

16 You changed Pat Riley's play earlier this year and called your own number against a 2-3 zone. That's allowed?

''I called it. We ran a play before that, and I didn't get a good look. So I looked at him and said, ``I want to open it up.'' That's a trust between a player and a coach. You have to have that. There are great minds behind the systems, but we're out there feeling the schemes. Its a good call when you make the shot. Have Coach looking like the genius, which he is.'

17 How heavily recruited were you out of high school?

`I wasn't. I didn't pass my ACT. A lot of schools backed off. I ended up only with Marquette, Illinois State and DePaul a little bit, on and off. I love doubt. It pushes me. Doubt me. Please.'

18 When you had a bad wrist and couldn't shoot jumpers, you somehow went 15 for 19 in a game by driving all the time. Is there a reason that you are not that agressive all the time and forget about the long jumper altogether?

`My body can't take it every night. Some nights I've got to be more passive than others. This is a man's league. I don't know how Shaq does it.'

19 Philosophy to live by?

`Everything happens for a reason.'

20 Is there a way for you to articulate how appreciative you are of having Shaquille open up the floor for you?

`Put it this way: I don't want to be LeBron James. I don't want to be Kobe Bryant. I want to be right where I am now, next to Shaq. Shaq draws double teams. I draw double teams. And we're both unselfish. That helps everybody. That's why we're in this position. And he's the only one on our team that knows how the champagne feels on your head. No one else does. That's why we all listen to him.'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject:

not bad...good 20Q
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:

Humble...
Boognish
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

humble... yea right
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject:

Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

No different the most superstar athletes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

How many of them are marketed as "humble" persons?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject:

CheetahMan wrote:
TACH wrote:
Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

Since when do commercials 'speak the truth'? It's called marketing.... do you really think Tiger Woods drives a Buick? Do think by wearing Nikes is going to get your game closer to "Be(ing) Like Mike"? If that were the case, we would all drink Coors Light so we can party with 'hot chicks' in snow!!!

Wade comes off as humble as an early twenties Mike or late teens/early twenties Kobe.

Perosnally, I have nothing against Wade, just his teammates (Snaq, GP, Zo, and Giggles)....

Last edited by TACH on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

You guys remember back a few years when Kobe was with Sprite and they ran Sprite commercials where Kobe was seen as a philosophical bookworm reading his book and remember the clean image and all?

And then boom! The rape charge which completely demolished Kobe's goodie-good image.
Boognish
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

Yea you're right, but if I hear the words "wade" and "humble" one more time in the same sentence, im gonna puke. It's total BS.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
You guys remember back a few years when Kobe was with Sprite and they ran Sprite commercials where Kobe was seen as a philosophical bookworm reading his book and remember the clean image and all?

And then boom! The rape charge which completely demolished Kobe's goodie-good image.

Only in Kobe's case he really does fit that mold. He is a student of the game and a hard worker. He also helps people out and (bleep).

^^ Farmar

CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Wade really luvs Shaq...maybe he should marry him.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
CheetahMan wrote:
TACH wrote:
Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

Since when do commercials 'speak the truth'? It's called marketing.... do you really think Tiger Woods drives a Buick? Do think by wearing Nikes is going to get your game closer to "Be(ing) Like Mike"? If that were the case, we would all drink Coors Light so we can party with 'hot chicks' in snow!!!

Wade comes off as humble as an early twenties Mike or late teens/early twenties Kobe.

Perosnally, I have nothing against Wade, just his teammates (Snaq, GP, Zo, and Giggles)....

So if commercials don't speak the truth and Wade isn't humble, why are you so pissed off that people would say it's BS to call him humble?
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Humble, my ass.

You guys on (bleep) drugs?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
TACH wrote:
CheetahMan wrote:
TACH wrote:
Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

So if commercials don't speak the truth and Wade isn't humble, why are you so pissed off that people would say it's BS to call him humble?

I'm not pissed... I'm was just point out that his attitude (be it humble and/or cocky) he's no different than most elite athletes... that's all.

As for commercials, don't believe them,.. they are biased,.. in the fact that they are trying to sell you a product. I don't use a commercial to judge a person... Hell, for enough money I would do a commercial for for Buick,... but I don't drive one or own one...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
TACH wrote:
CheetahMan wrote:
TACH wrote:
Boognish wrote:
humble... yea right

I'm not pissed... I'm was just point out that his attitude (be it humble and/or cocky) he's no different than most elite athletes... that's all.

As for commercials, don't believe them,.. they are biased,.. in the fact that they are trying to sell you a product. I don't use a commercial to judge a person... Hell, for enough money I would do a commercial for for Buick,... but I don't drive one or own one...

You're right it is no different which is why I'm not judging Wade on a commercial that tells me he's "humble" I don't see that much humility from him which is fine but at least market it as someone who owns it.

I mean the only athlete to have the most honest image throughout his career is Barkley "I'm not a role model"

Truer words were never spoken...
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject:

How strange that they throw Kobe's name in there. Wonder why??

Jake Speed, 1986
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:

Wade likes Creed! LOL

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: