'04 dinner with Buss convinced Riley to stay in Miami, hitch future to Shaq

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: '04 dinner with Buss convinced Riley to stay in Miami, hitch future to Shaq

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13194475/

This article was pretty interesting......unitl I hit the last two sentences. Comical to say the least.

Last edited by TheRod on Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

If this is the case, then I'm <bleep>ing ticked off.

I always thought Riley was being courted to try to fix things with BOTH Kobe and Shaq. Now Riles is saying that we NEVER considered keeping Shaq, even in the context of having Riles coaching both of them.

Can you imagine that? Riles coaching Shaq and Kobe. Riles pushing for grind-it-out D while yelling at both these guys to STFU and grow up while they were at it?

Then again, Riles has said that we never asked for Wade, yet here, he's saying that we wanted Lamar and Wade.

I love Riles, but these mind games suck.

MIM
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

You should change the title, it was in 04, not 03.

I do also like the writer's complete confidence that the Heat are going to win in 5 or 6

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

I really can't believe Laker fans don't get it. Shaq HATED Mitch, Buss, and Kobe. He wanted nothing to do with them and criticized not only Kobe but management every chance he got. You want to know why? Because they were not going to extend his insane contract! Riley, who Shaq didn't care about at the time, wasn't going to change his mind. Even Rudy, the coach Shaq actually respected because of Hakeem, couldn't make him change his mind. Shaq wanted out as soon as we lost game 5 to Detroit and hinted at it during his post game press conference.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

What's interesting to me is this part:

Quote:
Either way, Riley had no desire to only coach Bryant. "Yeah, I don't think I would have taken it," he said. "It was a whimsical notion on my part. But I would have probably only done it if the two of them were together.''

I wonder why Riley hates Kobe so much. He seems to try to take every opportunity to bash him in the press and for some reason it seems personal. Anyone know anything about the Kobe/Riley relationship?
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
You should change the title, it was in 04, not 03.

I do also like the writer's complete confidence that the Heat are going to win in 5 or 6

Good catch. I copied that line from the articles sub-title......stupid journalists.
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

Quote:
Either way, Riley had no desire to only coach Bryant. "Yeah, I don't think I would have taken it," he said. "It was a whimsical notion on my part. But I would have probably only done it if the two of them were together.''

I wonder why Riley hates Kobe so much. He seems to try to take every opportunity to bash him in the press and for some reason it seems personal. Anyone know anything about the Kobe/Riley relationship?

He wasn't bashing Kobe he was just saying he couldn't win without both of them so he didn't want to do it. Just goes to show what kinda person he is. An opportunist.

Hooray Mitch!!!!
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

kobenbynum wrote:
Socks wrote:

Quote:

He wasn't bashing Kobe he was just saying he couldn't win without both of them so he didn't want to do it. Just goes to show what kinda person he is. An opportunist.

He quit the Lakers when Cap retired. He quit the Knicks to join a better team after losing in the finals. He quit on Miami after coaching them to a lottery season, and basically stayed on as president for one reason....$$$$. He fired his close friend, to take over the team he quit on.

At least was essentially FIRED from the Bulls, and his first stint with the LAKERS. I had always kept Riles on a pedestal because of his Lakers roots....but this Joker has no ethics whatsoever.....quiter and opportunist are the best words to describe this guy.
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

kobenbynum wrote:
Socks wrote:

Quote:

At LG.net there's a fine line between loving KB8 and hating him with all your heart--you're either hugging his nuts you or you aren't.
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:

astrallionheart wrote:
kobenbynum wrote:
Socks wrote:

Quote:

At LG.net there's a fine line between loving KB8 and hating him with all your heart--you're either hugging his nuts you or you aren't.

That might be the truest statement said in these forums in a long time. Kobe is by far my favorite player in the league right now, but if someone comes out and says anything that puts any part of Kobe's game behind another player, or says almost anything negative about him, they become a hater. Just for having a difference of opinion.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
kawai442
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:

All I can say is thank goodness the Heat was willing to trade for Shaq.

Can you imagine that - that was our best offer.

Scary to think that there were offers out there we might have had to have taken that were worse.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
If this is the case, then I'm <bleep>ing ticked off.

I always thought Riley was being courted to try to fix things with BOTH Kobe and Shaq. Now Riles is saying that we NEVER considered keeping Shaq, even in the context of having Riles coaching both of them.

MIM

The Lakers already knew that Kobe was NOT coming back with the status quo, with Shaq as the #1 man.

Shaq wasn't going to accept anything less.

Buss would not pay Shaq what he wanted b/c he knew his inevitable decline was right around the corner.

Riles could not change any of that. Hence the decision to trade Shaq and moveon.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
astrallionheart wrote:
kobenbynum wrote:
Socks wrote:

Quote:

That might be the truest statement said in these forums in a long time. Kobe is by far my favorite player in the league right now, but if someone comes out and says anything that puts any part of Kobe's game behind another player, or says almost anything negative about him, they become a hater. Just for having a difference of opinion.

How true, we had a controversial poll of would u trade kobe for lebron. I voted yes based as an owner, not as a fan. Business wise it was a no brainer at this current time, but if u said u would trade him, it was on in that topic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: