True Detective
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: True Detective

Exciting pilot. Two good/great leads. I've never thought much of Harrelson throughout his career but he seems to slide right into the part.

The noir is immediately gripping from the opening scene and the story provides you with this great, effective uneasiness, most comparable to what I felt watching Silence of the Lambs. I hope this show takes off and becomes a mainstay.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Looked good so far. Just hope it doesn't disappoint like last season's Boardwalk Empire.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject:

That's a crazy cast for a TV show (even for HBO standards). Liked first episode.

It'll tide me over until JOFFFRFREEEEEY!!!!! comes back on.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Had a harder time getting into the 1st episode than I would've expected. The pace seemed deadly slow to me. Not complaining about a lack of excitement, I have an attention span that can handle tons of dialogue, but it just felt like the characters were all mildly sedated. I guess I can come to grips with that if it's the style they're actually going for.

Woody's character seems along the lines of his character in No Country. Matthew's character is refreshing even this soon. I haven't seen him in too many understated roles since his days as a nude beach runner or as Wooderson.

I'll keep calm and carry on. There's a standard amount of character introduction to be expected in the first few epis of any show.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject:

It's not the first time HBO has put out a tame pilot that didn't match the rest of a spectacular series. The Wire, Oz, Rome, The Sopranos come to mind.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: True Detective

C M B wrote:
Exciting pilot. Two good/great leads. I've never thought much of Harrelson throughout his career but he seems to slide right into the part.

The noir is immediately gripping from the opening scene and the story provides you with this great, effective uneasiness, most comparable to what I felt watching Silence of the Lambs. I hope this show takes off and becomes a mainstay.

It is an anthology, so each season will have a completely different cast and story.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: True Detective

24 wrote:
C M B wrote:

It is an anthology, so each season will have a completely different cast and story.

Didn't know that. That format makes me much more excited about the show's future.

It was so good to see Lester Freamon and Brother Mouzone again!

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

The characters diametrically opposed personalities causes a tension that has me looking for an explosion.

Matthew McConaughey's character, Rust Cohle comes to me as a man holding something inside. Woody Harrelson, Martin Hart seems a "go along to get along" but will stand up if pushed.

I'm puzzled to find a direction plot. Will they stay in the now or revert to the past for story lines?

I see a show that's going to take a lot of attention to stay with the reason for the plot.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

Some of the best TV out there, and that's saying something.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The characters diametrically opposed personalities causes a tension that has me looking for an explosion.

Matthew McConaughey's character, Rust Cohle comes to me as a man holding something inside. Woody Harrelson, Martin Hart seems a "go along to get along" but will stand up if pushed.

I'm puzzled to find a direction plot. Will they stay in the now or revert to the past for story lines?

I see a show that's going to take a lot of attention to stay with the reason for the plot.

They will probably continue to bounce back and forth between times. The dynamic between the leads is the true plot, and both murder investigations (then and now) merely the vehicle.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Just watched the pilot and liked it a lot. I'll have to keep up with this one. Only an 8 episode season, but I'm looking forward to it. It does have a bit of a No Country for Old Men vibe to it with some actors from the Wire and Treme thrown in.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Alexandra Daddario is a very gifted actress.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

Yes she is. Didn't realize she was the same one from Percy Jackson. And where did those knockers come from? Damn how they grow up.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

Good lawd.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject:

BTW I think I love this show. HBO has done it again.

Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject:

Alexandria DaDDario
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, CMB. Hadn't even heard of this show otherwise. This is really (bleep) good thus far.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject:

This show's not for those who don't want to think. To enjoy it you have to definition the plot.

It's not about sex and violence, it's about two men working in a complex environment and trying to co-exist with different approaches, I think.

I'm waiting for the explosion.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This show's not for those who don't want to think. To enjoy it you have to definition the plot.

It's not about sex and violence, it's about two men working in a complex environment and trying to co-exist with different approaches, I think.

I'm waiting for the explosion.

I'm loving it so far. Being a fan of The Killing, I can see the similarities here and there. I'm sure you guys have better examples. This series is top notch, HBO did it again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

Where are the suspects?

Last night we found Hart cheated on his wife and Chole figured it out.

I'm wondering, did Chole in some why contribute to the death of his daughter? Did he back over her in the driveway? The death of his daughter seems to be the reason he's so withdrawn.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject:

They've given you Matthew as suspect 1, or Woody if you are into a slightly more devious line of thinking
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Episode 2 was incredible. I love the attention to detail on this show. It's the little things that make this show really come together. Like Hart checks the coin return slot after the payphone call - one of those details that makes the character bigger.

McConaughey's interrogation scenes are brilliance.

You can tell this thing is going to get real dark, real soon.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

Yeah, impressed with the writing and directing (as well as the acting). The creator is the sole writer, and he got one guy to direct the entire season, so there is a continuity to things.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
They've given you Matthew as suspect 1, or Woody if you are into a slightly more devious line of thinking

I wasn't thinking either of the leads. I was looking for someone to be added. When none were in episode 2 I was puzzled.

How do you place Matt or Woody in the area of the crime?

If I had to make a choice of the two I'd go with Woody, he seems more devious.

Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject:

Watching for the characters and actors. The character dynamics is very interesting and I like this genre. I also watched Hannebal TV series too. Different stories is like American Horror story where each season is different.

Plus Alexandria , wow thank god for HD
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24
Jump to: