A shell of a Shaq
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
Heisler from the LA Times was saying the same stuff as well, that it's not Shaq's fault, and that Wade is the guy who really cost the Heat the game, etc... Wade isn't taking advantage of them doubling Shaq, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that Shaq only could get 5 points on 5 shots, and it doesn't excuse Shaq sitting out half the game even though he only had 1 foul. It also doesn't excuse Shaq only getting 6 rebounds and no blocks. It's Shaq's typical effort, where if he isn't scoring, he won't try on the other end, or in his words "If the big dog isn't fed, he won't protect the yard." If Dallas's plan is to just focus on Shaq, then he needs to hit his open teammates and focus most of his energy on the defensive end of the floor, but of course, he's not going to do that.

Wade has no perimiter shot and needs go to the basket to score, having three 7 footers there doesn't leave much space for him to operate. I wonder if they move Shaq to high post next game.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Bystander wrote:
Wade has no perimiter shot and needs go to the basket to score, having three 7 footers there doesn't leave much space for him to operate. I wonder if they move Shaq to high post next game.

Shaq is pretty worthless from the high post since he never developed any kind of offensive game other than dunk or drop-step. Doing that would take the Heat's best rebounder away from the basket and would allow the Mavs to easily single-cover him while staying at home with the perimeter players. It might allow Wade more seams to drive the lane though. The Heat would probably be better off playing Mourning instead of Shaq if that was their plan, since Zo can actually hit a face-up jumper and is actually willing to play defense if the offense isn't running through him.

The Heat's biggest problem is really that they're getting killed on both ends of the floor. Even if they do figure something out on offense and can get either Wade or Shaq or the role players going, how do they stop what the Mavs have been doing to them when Dallas has the ball? The Mavs have been making a mockery out of the Heat's defense, either getting easy lanes to the hoop or wide-open threes. The best thing the Heat have going for them is that role players don't play as well on the road, so maybe their role players will step-up in Miami while Dallas's might fade. Still, Dallas hasn't had a great game yet from Josh Howard, so Miami has to be worried about that in addition to trying to slow down Terry, Harris, Stackhouse and Dirk (naturally).

Miami very well could be in serious trouble.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:

Miami very well could be in serious trouble.

They are in serious trouble.

Serious enough that Stern is going to have to get involved to stretch this sucka out a bit.

Look for Bernie Fryer and Joe DeRosa to conveniently be in Miami for Game 3. Stern can't mess around now and Fryer is the biggest fixer ref in the league today, DeRosa has been atrocious and on the floor for a lot of lopsided FT attempt differentials already this post-season.

Forget waiting on Snaq to turn it around, time to go to something more reliable.....Bernie Fryer.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
Put me in the "I have no sympathy for Shaq" camp. I am loving every minute of this. It would only get better if the Mavs go on to rout them again in Game 3 and send a clear message that Shaq is finished. My hope is that Shaq gets too upset and blames Wade for something, just so that there can be something to start the rift between those two. Admittedly this would be more likely to occur if Shaq played well and Wade did not, but if Shaq has a number of embarrasing performances like he had in Game 2 then surely he'll have to find someone to blame for it (since he'll never shoulder that himself), and maybe he'll say the offense should have run through him more or something like that. Maybe Wade will be a little too harsh of Shaq, who knows. I just want to see those two fighting and have a full meltdown in Miami so that people will clearly see that it's Shaq who causes the problems everywhere he goes. My feelings of revenge towards Shaq will fully be complete when he causes Wade to sign elsewhere as a free agent in 2008 and Shaq decides to pack it in and end his career early due to an "injury".

I can't wait for the inevitable Xmas game between the Lakers and Heat at Staples this year

My scenario goes like this: Wade has a great game but needs Shaq to get the job done. Shaq doesn't have what it takes anymore. Wade, thinking he is a superstar, tries to "call Shaq out" and finds out that :

1. The media (owned by Shaq) will make Dyan Wade miserable for the rest of his playing days, causing a huge rift.

2. The media (owned by Shaq) will see the writing on the wall and declare that Shaq is past his prime, causing a huge rift between him and Dyan Wade, signaling the end of the team

3. The media (owned by Shaq) will make a few tentative remarks about poor performances and then find out that they are no longer allowed to speak to Shaq and have been disinvited to all his parties

4. The media (owned by Shaq) will look for reasons why Kobe is the cause of all of this

5. The media (owned by Shaq) will place all the blame squarely on Riley's shoulders and he will go back to his safe place behind the scenes
Klassix
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
I actually have a small bit of sympathy for the guy. To get to it, you have to look underneath the large amounts of joy and satisfaction, but at least it's there.

i dont
yrh
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Quote:
Two years ago, not long after Shaq fled LA for Miami, Dampier signed a big deal in Dallas and immediately declared himself the second-best center in the league. O'Neal responded by renaming Dampier "Erica," then got a little extra mileage out of the gag by insisting the only place Dampier would be a dominant center was in the WNBA. And when an injury in the playoffs last year limited his effectiveness, he couldn't resist telling reporters he was "playing like Erick Dampier."

Shaq should be so lucky. Out of shape or patience, or maybe both, he was outplayed by Dampier everywhere on the court and across the stat line. As promised, the Heat pounded the ball down into O'Neal in the post on their opening possession and he dropped in a nifty layup. But the Mavericks settled into essentially the same defense as in Game 1, doubling and tripling O'Neal on every subsequent touch, forcing him to pass the ball out of the post and daring his supporting cast, again, to beat them.

Article here

and from that came these, dampier can't be happy about it.
http://www.insidetheheat.com/images/stories//dampiersh1ock.jpg

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
I actually have a small bit of sympathy for the guy. To get to it, you have to look underneath the large amounts of joy and satisfaction, but at least it's there.

I feel the same! I really just don't want to hear anymore (bleep) talked about the lakers.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Bet you he wishes he had Kobe to help him carry the load now. Wade can't do it the way Kobe can. He may get there, but he needs a jumper and some more experience.

IOW Wade is a mere shell of a Kobe Bryant --

Kobe has

1) playoff experience which is forged in steel
2) a reliable jump shot
3) a finessed attack to the rim
4) the ability to make the tough pass into the big man
5) the ability to lock down his opposing player
6) the best skills of SG in the history of the NBA
7) the ability to outscore the Mavs in 3 Qtrs -- Kobe 62 Mavs 61
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Heisler is a tool, making all the excuses for Shaqass.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: