Dallas: City plays the optimist, plans for 500,000 downtown parade

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Dallas: City plays the optimist, plans for 500,000 downtown parade

It's too early,.. don't jinx it....

Quote:
Dallas: City plays the optimist, plans for 500,000 downtown

June 13, 2006
The Dallas Morning News

The Dallas Mavericks, of course, must win two more games to prevent their victory parade from getting rained on.

But Dallas police and city officials are busy preparing a parade anyway in anticipation of at least 500,000 NBA championship-crazed fans -- and possibly many more -- flocking downtown.

Dallas is up 2-0 against the Miami Heat in the best-of-7 championship series.

parade map

If the Mavericks were to win the series in four games or five, Dallas would kick off a victory parade June 20, said Celia Barshop, manager of the city's Office of Special Events. A Finals victory in Game 6 would push the parade to June 22, and a win in seven means it would commence June 26, she said.

The parade would begin at 11 a.m. for all scenarios, Ms. Barshop said.

The team would begin the milelong journey one block west of City Hall near Griffin and Young streets, according to the city's latest plan. Proceeding west on Young Street, the Mavericks would turn right at Houston Street, passing through the West End and underneath Woodall Rodgers Freeway until reaching Continental Avenue.

After turning left on Continental Avenue, the parade would immediately swing right onto aptly named Victory Avenue and travel north until reaching the Mavericks' home venue, American Airlines Center. The team would ride in trucks, although some might walk, Ms. Barshop said.

"We feel it's the best route for providing visibility to spectators," she said.

The city is asking fans to line up along the route no earlier than 8 a.m. to ease morning business commuters' travels. Six portable restroom banks will be installed along the route.

As for event security, Dallas Deputy Police Chief Jesse Reyes declined to provide specific officer numbers but said: "We will have a strong presence at the parade. We do anticipate a much larger crowd than at other such events."

The last time Dallas celebrated a major professional sports championship was 1999, when the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup. The largest public event in downtown Dallas history, however, came only two months ago, when as many as a half-million people marched through center-city streets to City Hall in support of immigration rights.

City officials say the Mavericks may feature various "crowd pleasers" during the parade, but there would be no "static event" for the public in which team players and coaches could give speeches.

There would, however, be surprises, Ms. Barshop said.

"And we can't tell you all the fun secrets," she joked, adding that ticker tape and confetti probably would not be part of the celebration.

The city, despite organizing the parade and providing staffing and policing for it, isn't funding the event -- the Mavericks are, in full, Ms. Barshop said.

A Mavericks spokeswoman said Monday she had no immediate details of the team's plans for the parade.

Fans should strongly consider walking or using public transportation, such as Dallas Area Rapid Transit buses and light rail, as well as the Trinity Railway Express commuter train, instead of driving, city officials say. Parking, they say, may quickly grow scarce.

Only severe weather would cause the city to cancel the parade, Ms. Barshop said, adding that it would probably be rescheduled in such an event.

And if the Heat come back to defeat the Mavericks?

No Mavericks championship, city officials say, means no parade.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9494799
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:

I want the Heat to win the series, but I won't be too upset if they don't because if Dallas wins, that means one of my favorite players of all-time, Rolando Blackman, will finally get a ring. He could have won gold in the '80 Olympics, but didn't get the chance (he was going to be a starter), and it'll be nice to see him in the parade. Walter Davis and Ro Blackman, two guys I always really liked as players.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

And why the heck would you want the Heat to win the series
Billy Thompson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
that means one of my favorite players of all-time, Rolando Blackman, will finally get a ring. He could have won gold in the '80 Olympics, but didn't get the chance (he was going to be a starter), and it'll be nice to see him in the parade. Walter Davis and Ro Blackman, two guys I always really liked as players.

He was very underrated because he had to play in the same conference as Magic Johnson. For some reason, I'll always remember him for talking to the ball as his free throw went in to force overtime in the 1987 All-Star game. This was after Isiah Thomas and Co. tried to trash talk him into missing one of them.

In his later years, he came off the bench for the Knicks to be a royal pain-in-the-ass for MJ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

Way too early to be scheduling parades. You can bet Riley has this story plastered all over the place in the Miami locker room.

Not too bright.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

KOBE 2.0 wrote:
And why the heck would you want the Heat to win the series

Because. Is that a good enough answer for you? If not, try 'don't worry about it'.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

I rather ignore it thank you very much.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

Cuban should fine the city of Dallas for even speaking about BS like this.

This is the dumbest crap anyone could ever do

Gee... I wonder if Riley will post this in huge reprint all over their locker room

retards
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

This sounds dumb, but realisticially every city does this. You can't plan for a parade of 500,000 to 1 million people to suddenly rush downtown all at the same time in a day or two. It probably shouldn't be getting any press as far as the Mavs are concerned.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
This sounds dumb, but realisticially every city does this. You can't plan for a parade of 500,000 to 1 million people to suddenly rush downtown all at the same time in a day or two. It probably shouldn't be getting any press as far as the Mavs are concerned.

Exactly San Antonio did this in the middle of the series last year as well it shouldn't be publicized but that's the only issue otherwise its something that has to be planned ahead of time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
Cuban should fine the city of Dallas for even speaking about BS like this.

This is the dumbest crap anyone could ever do

Gee... I wonder if Riley will post this in huge reprint all over their locker room

retards

While I agree for some reason I doubt this is enough to inspire the Heat they look dead and discombobulated to me not saying its already over there are at least 2 games left to be played but I am not convinced Miami knows what they are doing at this point.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Way too early to be scheduling parades. You can bet Riley has this story plastered all over the place in the Miami locker room.

Not too bright.

Honestly, if the Heat can't find the motivation on their own to win a game to prevent going down 0-3, then "blackboard material" isn't gonna make much difference, IMO.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: