XM or Sirius

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: XM or Sirius

I'm not a Howard Stern fan at all... that said, what satellite radio should I buy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Sirius, they have the NBA audio contract
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:

And NFL and Nascar I believe. XM has MLB I think.

I hear that the music is alot better on sirius. And that Xm has no commercial free music.
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
chef wrote:

And NFL and Nascar I believe. XM has MLB I think.

I hear that the music is alot better on sirius. And that Xm has no commercial free music.

and NHL, college basketball and the Phil Jackson show, which i believe is exclusively on Sirius also right???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject:

Yes, the NBA is exclusively on SIRIUS...which has The Phil Jackson Show....every morning Kenny Smith has a show on for a few hours w/ Ian Eagle....the Mark Cuban Show is starting soon...they also have exclusive rights to the NFL and March Madness...I've heard XM too...and went w/ SIRIUS....not just for the sports (although, I obviously wanted the company w/ NBA coverage)....but the rest of the lineup has more variety to my liking.
Arnie
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:

Or you can go the HDRadio way and just pick up the CD quality sound with no subscription fees.

http://www.hdradio.com/index.php
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

I've got Sirius in my new Ram Hemi. I swear I don't know how I've ogne this long without it. The NBA and general sports coverage is superior to XM. I like both a lot, but the sports channels is the big seller for me. I don't listen to my cd's at all anymore.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

Sirius... I own their stock.

Sold my XM a while back.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Sold my XM a while back.

haha..kool man. Sirius gets my vote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

Sold my XM a while back.

Siri's been tanking or declining after the initial buzz, hasn't it? Its like at 4.5 or something right?

Vonage has been offereing its customers some "pre-IPO stock". hah...run out of money much?
surfbu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Siruis is the best.

Better music, better talk...especially if you are a Howard fan...and the most robust sports line up.

Scott Farrell is now part of the "Howard 100" line up...I guess that can be viewed as a negative for Sirius...I found that guy annoying when he was doing sports in LA...and he's even more annoying uncensored.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:

ok, I guess Sirius wins, but what player should I get? I have a satellite-ready stereo... I kind of want one that I can play in my car and in my house
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

It depends on how much you want to spend.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:

Well, I don't want to spend $200+

I see all the detachable ones, but they are like $70-$100 and I dunno, it seems like I should be spending more.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

has anyone heard anything about either offering TV via satelite?

that would be kinda cool
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

I see all the detachable ones, but they are like $70-$100 and I dunno, it seems like I should be spending more.

I'd probably go w/ either the Starmate Replay or the new Sportster 4.

Keep in mind, that you'd also have to buy the home docking station (the car accessories come w/ it). The radio itself is probably between 90 and 100 bucks...and the home-kit is another 35-40. This system allows you to pause for around 40 minutes...rewind as well. It has an artist seek function that allows you to have it notify you if a specific artist is playing on any SIRIUS channel....you can also program favorite channels... There are optional boomboxes you can buy to plug this radio into as well.

The Sportster 4 is new...it doesn't have the home kit or boombox option yet (but that'll be out soon)...it's display is a bit bigger...not as bright....it has the same artist seek feature (that the older Sportsters did not)....it has a one touch button that's pretty much like a recall on your tv remote...allowing you to go back and forth between stations.....it also is docked differently...w/ the Starmate Replay, you plug the wires from the antenna, power, and speakers individually....w/ the Sportster it just all plugs in at once....this one is around 160 bucks....and you'll have to buy the homekit later once it's released....so, you'll end up in the over 200 territory.

Given your price range, I'd suggest getting the Starmate Replay + Home-kit. You can always splurge down the line when they release a truly portable unit.

Check out this forum for any further research you want to do on the matter...LINK
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

I'd probably go w/ either the Starmate Replay or the new Sportster 4.

Keep in mind, that you'd also have to buy the home docking station (the car accessories come w/ it). The radio itself is probably between 90 and 100 bucks...and the home-kit is another 35-40. This system allows you to pause for around 40 minutes...rewind as well. It has an artist seek function that allows you to have it notify you if a specific artist is playing on any SIRIUS channel....you can also program favorite channels... There are optional boomboxes you can buy to plug this radio into as well.

The Sportster 4 is new...it doesn't have the home kit or boombox option yet (but that'll be out soon)...it's display is a bit bigger...not as bright....it has the same artist seek feature (that the older Sportsters did not)....it has a one touch button that's pretty much like a recall on your tv remote...allowing you to go back and forth between stations.....it also is docked differently...w/ the Starmate Replay, you plug the wires from the antenna, power, and speakers individually....w/ the Sportster it just all plugs in at once....this one is around 160 bucks....and you'll have to buy the homekit later once it's released....so, you'll end up in the over 200 territory.

Given your price range, I'd suggest getting the Starmate Replay + Home-kit. You can always splurge down the line when they release a truly portable unit.

Check out this forum for any further research you want to do on the matter...LINK

man, you are awesome. thank you so much.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

don't know much about satellite radio (i like finding my own music...plus i hate radio b/c i dont' like people picking my playlist for me) but to my understanding sirius has howard stern+nba+phil jackson so they'd get my vote.
surfbu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
don't know much about satellite radio (i like finding my own music...plus i hate radio b/c i dont' like people picking my playlist for me) but to my understanding sirius has howard stern+nba+phil jackson so they'd get my vote.

Plus Bill Walton hosts a sunday night show on the "Jam on" station.

Hearin Bill intro a Phish or a widespread panic or Dead song is priceless.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
JD wrote:

Sold my XM a while back.

Siri's been tanking or declining after the initial buzz, hasn't it? Its like at 4.5 or something right?

Vonage has been offereing its customers some "pre-IPO stock". hah...run out of money much?

Since I've been buying it, its been around the $4-5 range (about a year now).

XM was the one I bought into it at something like $6 and within a month it was almost $30.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:

Between Howard Stern and Scotty Ferrall on channell 101 Sirius is worth every penny to me...Not to mention the NBA and NFL channels 24/7...

I sold my XM , IT PALES IN COMPARISON imo...

But to each his own...
LA3Pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

I have Sirius and couldn't be happier. I have the same opinion as those above about the sports programming. The general sports talk combined with the availability of NBA games makes it far superior to XM for sports fans. You probably won't find a big difference in the music channels. The only reason I would put Sirius ahead of XM on the music side is because (as another person noted) they have a dedicated Jam Band station that plays Phish, O.A.R, Umphrey's McGee, Grateful Dead, etc. (Jam On) which XM doesn't have. Also, I was never really that in to Stern either, but I have to say this "uncensored" version really is genuinely funny. I definitely find myself wandering over to Howard 100 to see what's going on in the morning.

Regarding what device to get, I would suggest the Sirius S50. It's a MP3 compatable player that allows you to record more than 50 hours of programming and then carry it around with you and listen to it like an iPod.

The S50 also has a great function where you can press a button and "love" songs that are playing on whatever channel you are listening to. You then have that song recorded for playback whenever you are in portable mode. I constantly recycle my playlists through access to 100 music channels of different genres and almost never buy music any more. Sirius had settle with the RIAA and now has to compensate the RIAA on all S50 purchases. My guess is they will discontinue it when a truly portable player arrives, and that portable player will not have the same functionality. You may want to get the S50 while you can.

You can get the S50 along with a car dock for $179 after rebate right now, so it might just be in the top end of your price range.
LABigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

SIRIUS!

Unlike you, I love Howard, my car was in the shop for a month and my commute was horrible without Sirius. I do wish they would add an Underground Hip-Hop channel. All the stuff they play is from the South, mainstream stuff, or hardcore rap. That would just be the icing on the cake for me...
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Crap! OK, so I went to Best Buy to look at the Sirius systems and my car stereo is compatible with this one:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1097008928421

I am freakin' confused!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: