Anyone drive stick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject:

i would love to learn to drive stick. But, I take the god damned 405 EVERY DAY. I have no need whatsoever to learn at this time.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
Socks wrote:
I recently got an automatic with tiptronic, but haven't had a chance to play with the tiptronic yet. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it even worth playing with?

What is a tiptronince? Is this a true mechanical clutch or some type of electronic clutch like automatic? If it's the automatic type, I wouldn't mess around with it too much. If you like playing the clutch, then get a car with a mechanical one. Tiptronic sounds like a cool technology for the rich old balding man who wanna be a racer, but if the thing breaks, you might end up shelling out a few thou for the dealer

Ha, I think it's more for rich old balding men. Here's a description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

It's not truly mechanical or computer controlled, but seems like a fake manual toy since it is still really automatic for the first few gears. Yeah, one of the reasons I haven't fooled with it is I just don't want anything to break.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

triptronic is basically semi automatic

you can leave it in automatic

or switch it to semi auto which allows you to shift gears with no clutch
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

ok i took a reading from the Wikipedia link above. If that's what a Tiptrronic tranny is, then it's nothing more than a glorified automatic, it ain't no semi-automatic. It's for poser! Please stay away from trying to "manually" operate this thing if it perks your curiousity unless you have 3-4 grands of disposable income in your bank account.

In F1, I believe cars there use the paddle shifter mated to a sequential gearbox (ala motorcycle) where you just hit the paddle to shift but there is still a mechanical clutch between flywheel and gearbox, only that a computer operates the mechanical clutch instead of your foot/brain. But this is not what a tranny Tiptronic appears to be.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
skumbag wrote:
Socks wrote:
I recently got an automatic with tiptronic, but haven't had a chance to play with the tiptronic yet. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it even worth playing with?

What is a tiptronince? Is this a true mechanical clutch or some type of electronic clutch like automatic? If it's the automatic type, I wouldn't mess around with it too much. If you like playing the clutch, then get a car with a mechanical one. Tiptronic sounds like a cool technology for the rich old balding man who wanna be a racer, but if the thing breaks, you might end up shelling out a few thou for the dealer

Ha, I think it's more for rich old balding men. Here's a description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

It's not truly mechanical or computer controlled, but seems like a fake manual toy since it is still really automatic for the first few gears. Yeah, one of the reasons I haven't fooled with it is I just don't want anything to break.

You won't bust a thing. It's not like it'll allow you to misshift. There's no clutch to burn.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

turbulent wrote:
manuals are cheaper right? I mean stick shift cars.

Yes. You may even save some gas because less power is lost coming from the motor to the wheels compared to an automatic transmission.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

I've had a tiptronic before...it's cool...but not that great. There is like a 1 to 2 second lag before the gear shifts, and kicks in....not ideal.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
1. I don't like engine braking.
2. I don't downshift to use engine braking.
3. A race car told me, an engine and gear lever is used to accelerate or coast. The brakes are for... braking.

I go neutral a lot. Save the clutch.

Depending on what year the car is and tranny type.., downshifting may not hurt the car much.

I would argue that even more important than un-necessary (bleep) if to put your car cruising in neutral. Reason you donn'nt want to CRUISE in neutral is because if something happens and you manuver your car, you will panic to find gears. This panic time will cost you 3 seconds easily, could mean the difference between avoiding an accident and not.

Now after you've master the art of shifting, then you can start learning rpm matching. Then u can show off to your othher stick buddies how you can perfectly shift everytime without buckling. If you rpm match durig downshift, then your clutch will not wear down as much. Clutch wears is due to friction and rpm matching will reduce this. Of course this is assuming you know your engine rpm tolerance.

And man you have an MR2, have some fun with it after you've become experience. What's the point of buying an agile car and then babying it?? Might as well get a Prius and save gas if you're not ever plan to have some fun. Don't worry about damaging your tranny/clutch as long as you don't go crazy. You can still have some fun, just know your and your equipments limitation. I'm not a racer, I don't street race when i see racerboy next to me, but i take a lot of satisfaction trying to (bleep) into ever sweeping corner w/o buckling. I've seen guys with well over 20+ years of experience and still can't downshift without buckling when they wanted to. So don't forget the FUN factor!

nice post....I agree 100%.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Way back in high school I learn stick in my friends Toyota Celica. Took me a couple of weeks and I can pretty much get around with little problem. Then later on I got a VW and I was having so much problem. The clutch was much stiffer and I was stalling and jerking like I was in the rodeo. It took me another week or so to get used to the new car. Later on I had a Miata and a BMW, both of which are stick shifts. From experience, Japanese stick shifts tends to be a bit more forgiving and easier vs. Europeans.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

I love driving a stick. Grew up riding 3-wheelers , quads and dirtbikes. That's a great way to get the feel for using the clutch. Of course, you don't want to drive a car quite the same way as a dirtbike, but a nice sports car with a stick is a thing of beauty once you master it. I miss my all wheel drive, turbo eclipse. I've had a built corvette, camaro, etc, and that little AWD, 5 speed, turbo eclipse beat them all - fun wise at least. I never should have sold it, except I got a few thousand more than I paid for it - 50 thousand miles later. Couldn't turn down the offer.

Jake Speed, 1986
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject:

How the hell did you get a few thousand more than what you paid for a car 5 months later?

Scandalous.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
How the hell did you get a few thousand more than what you paid for a car 5 months later?

Scandalous.

I bought it dirt cheap from a guy who needed the cash. I sold it a couple of years later for 2 grand more than I paid for it.

Sweet deal. Although I wish I had never sold it.

Jake Speed, 1986
SG_Kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Tiptronic is a true automatic, You just tell the computer when to shift. You can't break anything unless you shift at redline everytime and that'll just put wear on the engine.

Nothing like the sequential gearboxes in F1 cars.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: