How to potty train your dog?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: How to potty train your dog?

I'm just wondering how can I potty train my dog, and it's too late if he's two year (human year) old now?
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Shock collar.
Waterboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

It's never too late.

When you're away from home for short times, crate train your dog. Make sure the crate is small enough so that if he/she does its business in there, it'll have no choice but to sit in it. Dogs hate the smell of their own feces and the last thing they would want would be to sit in it. This way, they will be forced to hold it for as long as possible. When you get home, take him out immediately and say "go potty". When they do their business in the yard, praise/reward them.

If you're home during the day and don't want to do crate training then you must keep a watchful eye on him. The slightest sign of a squat or leg lift, scare him out of it, then get him outside right away and say "go potty".

You can even crate train when you're home by leaving him in the crate for extended periods of time. Just make sure that the crate isn't large enough so that he can crap on one side and sit on the other, otherwise it defeats its purpose. If you look at some crates, you'll notice that some have a divider that adjusts. The purpose of the divider is to make the crate small to aid in potty training.

After a while, he'll associate the command "go potty" with using the restroom. After a couple weeks of this consistent training, my dog was doing her business on command.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

Waterboy wrote:
It's never too late.

When you're away from home for short times, crate train your dog. Make sure the crate is small enough so that if he/she does its business in there, it'll have no choice but to sit in it. Dogs hate the smell of their own feces and the last thing they would want would be to sit in it. This way, they will be forced to hold it for as long as possible. When you get home, take him out immediately and say "go potty". When they do their business in the yard, praise/reward them.

If you're home during the day and don't want to do crate training then you must keep a watchful eye on him. The slightest sign of a squat or leg lift, scare him out of it, then get him outside right away and say "go potty".

You can even crate train when you're home by leaving him in the crate for extended periods of time. Just make sure that the crate isn't large enough so that he can crap on one side and sit on the other, otherwise it defeats its purpose. If you look at some crates, you'll notice that some have a divider that adjusts. The purpose of the divider is to make the crate small to aid in potty training.

After a while, he'll associate the command "go potty" with using the restroom. After a couple weeks of this consistent training, my dog was doing her business on command.

Do you actually say "Go Potty"?
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject:

I agree...crate training is very effective. If you stay diligent about the discipline, potty training will seem simple.

Do not use a shock collar. Some feel it's a cure-all for dogs. Some abuse that kind of training collar...so much so that the animal ends up hating and fearing the owner. Such stupid owners mistake the cowering demeanor as obedience.

btw, mblovesla, i was taking your advice jokingly (at least, that what it seemed you intended it as). I think shock collars are fine and effective...just not the way some use it.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to potty train your dog?

ToughKarl wrote:
I'm just wondering how can I potty train my dog, and it's too late if he's two year (human year) old now?

Don't give him any water or food, that usually does the trick.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

Easy way, weather and fenced yard permitting, leave him outside for a week. Get his mind re-adjusted to not going in his den(house).

After that, first thing before bed, let him out to do his business. When you first wake up, same thing. Don't leave him in the house for 8 hours and expected him to hold it.

Just about every dog I bring in is off the streets. They don't get to sleep in the house (den) for a few weeks. I normally have 4 at a time sleeping in 1 room, no problems.

If leaving him outside is not an option, reduce his space inside the house to 1 small room. This will simulate a den. Give him plenty of opportunities to go outside to do his business. Try it for a week or two.
Waterboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
Waterboy wrote:
It's never too late.

Do you actually say "Go Potty"?

Yep, i do. Seriously, she goes on command. Before a long car ride we'll tell her and she does it. People laugh all the time but its either that, or i tell her to "go take a $h!t." The latter wouldn't be kid friendly.

Dogs are more intelligent than we think. My dog knows all kinds of stupid tricks. My buddy trained his dog to fetch him a beer out of the fridge. We thought about doing that but figured it may not be a good idea because then she'll know how to get into the fridge.
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks waterboy and lakersfreak. Yea my dog is an indoor dog. He usually does his business in the garage, but sometimes he still pees in the house. I don't think he is a stupid dog but the only trick he knows is "sit".
Tek9Designs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject:

http://www.perfectpaws.com/crt.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: