Old Thread: Lakers "Fair Salaries" from 82games.com

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Old Thread: Lakers "Fair Salaries" from 82games.com

82games.com calculated a "fair salary" for each player in the NBA. Below are the Lakers' "fair salaries" (link), with their real salaries from HoopsHype.com in paranthesis:
Bryant $ 27.39  (15.95)
Odom $ 12.69  (11.47)
Parker $ 4.55  (0.75)
Cook $ 2.99  (0.87)
Mihm $ 2.73  (3.80)
George $ 2.21  (5.00)
Walton $ 1.93  (1.25)
Brown $ 1.67  (7.50)
Vujacic $ 0.54  (0.91)
Medvedenko $ 0.00  (3.00)
Turiaf $ -0.11  (???)
Profit $ -0.21  (0.84)
McKie $ -0.35  (2.50)
Jackson $ -0.38  (???)
Wafer $ -0.52  (0.40)
Green $ -0.54  (0.40)
Bynum $ -0.89  (1.89)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

Seems accuarate.

Bryant is a steal for 16 million - he deserves MJ money (25-30 million). No wonder he voted no to the new CBA in 99.

Parker is by far this team's biggest steal - that's why I don't hate on him much. The defensive effort is poor, but overall a huge steal for us. He is a MLE Player like Daniels, Watson - only we picked him up for 1/5th of that.

Not suprised about Cook - he is really doing well as a late draft pick.

Good to see that Odom + Walton are superceding their salary. Most of the year I have read that LO is overpaid and that Walton shouldn't never have been signed.

The only guy I'm suprised with is Mihm. I think he is definitely at worst a MLE player (5 million).I think 2.8 is not Mihm's worth - his fair value should be 4-5 million.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:

How old are the numbers

Kwame only worth 1.67 ..

Statistics... :roll:

That site can really be a BIG JOKE sometimes.. stats stats stats.. -- whatever..
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

I don't care how good Kobe is. No player deserves to make over 50% of his team's salary cap.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

What's with the negative numbers? Is that what those guys owe the organization for their seats?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I don't care how good Kobe is. No player deserves to make over 50% of his team's salary cap.

Jordan and Shaq made nearly 30 million in their primes.

Kobe is doing just as much if not more than them. If there's a player in the L that deserves to be paid as much as Jordan was - it's Kobe Bryant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

Looks like its right on track with Sasha, or maybe a bit too high. Yea way too high, that guy should have to purchase a ticket to get in the building.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Kobe is doing just as much if not more than them. If there's a player in the L that deserves to be paid as much as Jordan was - it's Kobe Bryant.

Two wrongs don't make a right and those were different times. There was no luxury tax in effect when the Bulls paid MJ $30 million. That extra $15 million would be twice over in luxury tax penalties so we'd be paying more like $45 million for Kobe's services.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
How old are the numbers

Kwame only worth 1.67 ..

That site can really be a BIG JOKE sometimes.. stats stats stats.. -- whatever..

it's stats for the whole year, so in that case, they are right. if they put into account what he has do the last month and a half, he would be worth his money
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The only guy I'm suprised with is Mihm. I think he is definitely at worst a MLE player (5 million).I think 2.8 is not Mihm's worth - his fair value should be 4-5 million.

Mihm missed a good chunk of the season, hence his value decreasing.

This obviously doesn't take into account for defense - Kwame.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

I thought the league list was interesting too.

http://www.82games.com/0506/fairsalary0506.htm

Shaq and LO and neck-and-neck.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
Trey wrote:
How old are the numbers

Kwame only worth 1.67 ..

it's stats for the whole year, so in that case, they are right. if they put into account what he has do the last month and a half, he would be worth his money

Exactly.. "stats" .... that is all
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right and those were different times. There was no luxury tax in effect when the Bulls paid MJ $30 million. That extra $15 million would be twice over in luxury tax penalties so we'd be paying more like $45 million for Kobe's services.

First of all, the Lakers aren't paying any luxury tax this year and they're not in danger of it next year or for a while after that. Thus, your point is wrong. The Lakers will not be paying twice for Kobe's services.

Secondly, the deal was made during the current CBA structure, so it's not like it's a carry over from a past era that is now hurting us. His salary is consistent with what the rules allow a max caliber player to earn. Considering the Lakers earn millions upon millions upon milliions of dollars in revenue every year, and Kobe is a big reason for that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with him being paid max money. He deserves it. He works harder than anyone else to earn it. He's responsible about his body, his effort, his mindset, his focus and his game, and if there's any player in this league that truly deserves max money, it's Kobe Bean Bryant.

Sometimes I don't get some of you guys. Seems like you complain just for the sake of complaining.
notWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

First of all, the Lakers aren't paying any luxury tax this year and they're not in danger of it next year or for a while after that. Thus, your point is wrong. The Lakers will not be paying twice for Kobe's services.

Secondly, the deal was made during the current CBA structure, so it's not like it's a carry over from a past era that is now hurting us. His salary is consistent with what the rules allow a max caliber player to earn. Considering the Lakers earn millions upon millions upon milliions of dollars in revenue every year, and Kobe is a big reason for that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with him being paid max money. He deserves it. He works harder than anyone else to earn it. He's responsible about his body, his effort, his mindset, his focus and his game, and if there's any player in this league that truly deserves max money, it's Kobe Bean Bryant.

Sometimes I don't get some of you guys. Seems like you complain just for the sake of complaining.

To make the point even clearer, the ad revenue sharing structure for franchise earnings are based upon how well teams do in the playoff, if they even get there. So the fact that Kobe (and Phil, too) have brought this team back to the playoffs really does make him responsible for impact to the bottom line of the franchise. Even discounting playoffs, think about how many nationally televised games the Lakers have because of 8. While that ad revenue does not figure directly into the bottom line, the exposure the team continues to recieve helps tremendously. So, if you think that Kobe is not worth it, I think you should reconsider.
samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Are these based on season stats?

I'm sure Kwame and Mihm's values are hurt by late development and missed games, respectively.

I think Kwame is currently playing at an $8M big man level - and next year will turn out to be an absolute steal across a whole season.

I think Mihm is also being undervalued bc centers always cost more for the same statistical production of a smaller player. Jerome James, Erick Dampier, Jason Collins, Kandi, heck Travis Knight are all examples of this principle.

I think a healthy Mihm is easily an $8M true center. How do you even find a non-rookie-scale $3.8M true center who doesn't have the "raw" tag stapled to his forehead? Mihm's one of the best bargain big men in the L, with Zaza Pachulia and Jeff Foster.

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject:

NYK
kqiu2210
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Kobe deserves to be paid more, but I guess he's probably happy with what he's getting. He's not a gold digger like boozer, hughes, we wants to put Ws on the board for us and bring back some rings!!!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

So you're telling us that the artificially deflated salaries imposed by the CBA is a better indicator of value than the free market?

Which branch of government do you work for?

The max salaries are strange. They allow good players to be paid more than they're really worth, and (bleep) the value of superstars who really make an impact on the franchise.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Still ticks me off to see that Brian Grant earns more than Kwame, Mihm, and Bynum combined yet isn't even on our team and is in fact playing against us right now.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject:

Oh my gosh (LOL), I just happened upon this thread (I was looking for something else)...

Look at that 2006 roster! I can't believe they were any better than this current bunch, but they were.

42-40 (W-L)... The Zen Master's handy-work.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject:

You bumped an eight year old thread to remind us what our roster looked like in 2006?

Seriously, man?
mambomamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject:

necromancy is still alive i see
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Like I said, I was looking for something else...

But it does bring up an interesting point though, a few more key additions to a roster along with good coaching, and a team can win a championship within a couple years.
mugwump
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Instead of bumping up old threads, you need to create a new topic and link to the old one. This is bad form and seriously confusing to figure out what this topic was about.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: