Dynamic between Jim & Mitch - explained by John Ireland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:

"basketball phd" doesn't sound like professional accomplishments.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamic between Jim & Mitch - explained by John Ireland

postandpivot wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Quote:

"This is a rebuild. Mitch has already done it, he see how this movie ends. 2005 the Lakers finished 34-48, but were back in the Finals after just 3 years."

Some key things that he glossed over:

1. Kobe still had plenty of Game left in him back then and not nearly as much now.

2. They didn't drop below the Salary Cap to do the rebuild back then, so different dynamics are involved this time.

3. A trade similar to the deal for Pau isn't easily duplicated.

4. Teams are operating under a different CBA.

5. The team is in a poor position in regards to available draft picks.

I realize he is a Company Man and he needs to put a positive spin on things when possible.
it still doesnt change what he said. MITCH has done this before. that was the point. and no negative spin you attempt to put on that will stop that from being true.

I've said from jump street that Mitch has an easier go of it this time than 2005. Why? Simply because there is no Brian Grant contract on the books.

...This rebuild might be easier than what the "Piss and Moaners" think.

Stay tuned.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pickleweed wrote:
that scares me. the guy without the basketball phd, learning on the job as he intimates should NEVER be winning these arguments. there shouldnt be arguments. he should be learning from mitch like he supposedly did from the others.

and im not even a jim hater, but that scares the hell out of me....especially coming from ireland, whose relentless homer-ism probably meant that in a positive way.

Wouldn't the bolded include pretty much every owner in the NBA except the Russian dude and Jordan? None of them had basketball experience before buying their teams and rely on their people when making decisions. This is no different.

Maybe he meant the guy with no professional accomplishments which would narrow the list down to Jim and maybe a couple others that have never successfully managed a business. You have to admit that other than being born Dr Buss' son, Jim hasn't accomplished much. I have to question how much Jim accomplished throughout his Lakers career because it seems like he was a glorified intern.
what do you call a glorified intern. thats been interning for over a decade? you call that person a solid choice to take over. why? because he's been around so long. the culture has rubbed off on him. he understands how "THE LAKERS" think when they make moves or dont make moves.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pickleweed wrote:
that scares me. the guy without the basketball phd, learning on the job as he intimates should NEVER be winning these arguments. there shouldnt be arguments. he should be learning from mitch like he supposedly did from the others.

and im not even a jim hater, but that scares the hell out of me....especially coming from ireland, whose relentless homer-ism probably meant that in a positive way.

Wouldn't the bolded include pretty much every owner in the NBA except the Russian dude and Jordan? None of them had basketball experience before buying their teams and rely on their people when making decisions. This is no different.

Maybe he meant the guy with no professional accomplishments which would narrow the list down to Jim and maybe a couple others that have never successfully managed a business. You have to admit that other than being born Dr Buss' son, Jim hasn't accomplished much. I have to question how much Jim accomplished throughout his Lakers career because it seems like he was a glorified intern.
what do you call a glorified intern. thats been interning for over a decade? you call that person a solid choice to take over. why? because he's been around so long. the culture has rubbed off on him. he understands how "THE LAKERS" think when they make moves or dont make moves.

Greatness by osmosis. That's a nice concept. It must mean that Chaz or Jesse is being groomed to be the next in line once Mitch retires.

It didn't work for Smush. I didn't see any Kobe rub off on him to no fault of Kobe or Slush. It's just that some guys aren't capable. It's the Peter Principle. Jim might have made a great stable hand or hot walker but he was in over his head as a trainer or breeder. I don't have much faith in a 40 year old man that had no professional success until his father brought him into the family business as his own personal reclamation project.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
pickleweed wrote:

Greatness by osmosis. That's a nice concept. It must mean that Chaz or Jesse is being groomed to be the next in line once Mitch retires.

It didn't work for Smush. I didn't see any Kobe rub off on him to no fault of Kobe or Slush. It's just that some guys aren't capable. It's the Peter Principle. Jim might have made a great stable hand or hot walker but he was in over his head as a trainer or breeder. I don't have much faith in a 40 year old man that had no professional success until his father brought him into the family business as his own personal reclamation project.

Jim Buss is 54 though
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

No, that will likely be the assistant GM, Glen Carrero, who has been learning from Mitch. By osmosis I assume.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:

I bet one day Mitch becomes president of player personnel and Carraro or someone else becomes the GM.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

I expect to see that happen eventually as well.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

No, that will likely be the assistant GM, Glen Carrero, who has been learning from Mitch. By osmosis I assume.

I predict that Jesse will leapfrog him. Carraro seems pretty young, so bumping him to GM would leave Jesse as Asst. GM for a long time. It has taken a while for Carraro to climb the ranks while Jesse is has had a quick ascent in terms of title. Jesse will eventually pull the owner's card out by siding with Jim on all matters to get the promotion. It then gives Jim more power against Jeanie.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't listen to ANY Laker "Insight" from John Ireland. His boss is Jim Buss....nuff said!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
I wouldn't listen to ANY Laker "Insight" from John Ireland. His boss is Jim Buss....nuff said!!!

Actually it is Jennie.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Are you trying to imply that John Ireland is not a basketball player on the Lakers?

kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Really Jim?!?! You didn't fire pretty much the entire staff before the lockout? You trying to tell me that if you went to Ireland and told him to say something on the radio that he would tell you "Jeannie is my boss". GTFOH!!!

Knock it off
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Really Jim?!?! You didn't fire pretty much the entire staff before the lockout? You trying to tell me that if you went to Ireland and told him to say something on the radio that he would tell you "Jeannie is my boss". I do not agree with your opinion.!!!

Why can't anti-jim people ever stay on topic? What does firing people on the basketball staff during the lockout have to do with John ireland?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerCity wrote:
kwase wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Really Jim?!?! You didn't fire pretty much the entire staff before the lockout? You trying to tell me that if you went to Ireland and told him to say something on the radio that he would tell you "Jeannie is my boss". I do not agree with your opinion.!!!

Why can't anti-jim people ever stay on topic? What does firing people on the basketball staff during the lockout have to do with John ireland?
Ignorance isn't pretty; but people love to show it off anyway.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Knock it off

Yes, the announcing team is part of Jeannie's department. Maybe a little research before commenting would make sense, eh?
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Knock it off

Yes, the announcing team is part of Jeannie's department. Maybe a little research before commenting would make sense, eh?

maybe you need to do a little research.....I know you pro jim people cant stand it ....but Jeanie is the CEO. looks like all the departments are jeaninie even player personnel. Looks like Jim works for Jeanie.....

we all know the pro jim people are smarter than everyone else on this board and the rest of us are all (stupid, ignorant, not basketball savvy, do some research) all the qualifiers you use.....at least you claim that
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject:

Nice deflection, Jeannie runs the business side of the organization, they are who hire the announcing team, so Ireland works for Jeannie. A little research would tell you that Dr. Buss ran the Lakers when Ireland was hired. But I know facts have little value against your bias.
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

clutchkobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:

Actually it is Jennie.

Knock it off

maybe you need to do a little research.....I know you pro jim people cant stand it ....but Jeanie is the CEO. looks like all the departments are jeaninie even player personnel. Looks like Jim works for Jeanie.....

we all know the pro jim people are smarter than everyone else on this board and the rest of us are all (stupid, ignorant, not basketball savvy, do some research) all the qualifiers you use.....at least you claim that

I think "pro jim" people are more concerned with the Lakers becoming a good team again, not the daily mythical politics because Jim and Jeanie, who works for who, who's the boss, who can fire who, who can overrule who, etc etc. Only the Jim haters keep bringing that kind've stuff up. At this point it looks like Jeanie and Jim are on the same page. John Ireland probably answers to both of them. You really think "pro jim people" care if Jeanie is his boss or not? smh
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

We seem to be back to the same posters having the same back and forth bickering about the same things in yet another thread.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: