Anyone ever get Dental work at a Dental School? (Update: got everything done at a dentist)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever get Dental work at a Dental School? (Update: got everything done at a dentist)

I've been really busy with school, but thankfully I get a week off in a couple of weeks. I already know I have quite a bit of dental work to get done, what I don't know is whether I will need a root canal. Obviously, anyone who's had to deal with them knows that they can cost in the thousands. And although I do have decent health insurance, I don't have dental insurance.

Either way, I was thinking about either USC or UCLA's dental school. I've heard some good things about USC dental school/clinic, but am not as familiar with UCLA's. Wanted to see if anyone here has ever, or knows someone who has gone to these schools for work, so I can get an idea of what to expect.

Last edited by leor_77 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Yeah root canals are a (bleep). They are expensive, take many many visits and can be uncomfortable with all the numbing.

Dental insurance I've had in the past didn't fully cover the procedure either.

I've had dental work done by a 4th year dental student once but it was my friend.
She did it for free (was dating her) and it was just simple procedure and nothing involved like a root canal.
As you know, these students probably don't have a lot of experience with root canal so I don't think it's a good idea at all.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Both of those schools have endodontic residency programs, so your root canal would most likely be done by a resident, who has already completed dental school and passed their regional board exam (essentially, a licensed general dentist). You could always ask if you will be seen by a student or resident, and perhaps even request to be treated by a resident.

I cannot speak to the quality of care at either clinic, but I do know that the UCLA programs are far more competitive, which likely means higher caliber students and residents. Again, this is just a guess on my part, as you never know who you will be seen by.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject:

I've had some dental work done at UCLA (albeit by a friend I've had since freshman year). Overall, they do great work. U$C's not bad (my main orthodontist before coming to college teaches at both $C and UCLA), but I'd go with UCLA (homer issues aside, their program is the more rigorous of the two).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject:

my teeth were messed up as a kid and went to Loma Linda School of Dentistry. Students did not work on my teeth and the Orthodontist was one of the best in the biz from what I heard.
andjusticeforall1213
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

I'm a second year student at UCLA dental. We can essentially take care of anything you would need - regular cleanings, fillings, endo, oral surgery, etc. The cost is usually 1/2 to 2/3 of a private office. If you need endo done, the person who will be treating you will most likely be a resident who is already licensed and is the cream of the crop. The work done is really high quality here because everything must be signed off by faculty (who tend to be pretty picky) and UCLA is super duper competitive. The only downside is it takes more time to get stuff than it would take at a private office.

If you want, shoot me a PM and I can give you more info!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject:

Tijuana

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ramirezmu8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject:

i got dental work and oral surgery @ UCLA
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject:

You can forego Dentistry altogether and take the natural approach:

http://100777.com/health/teethcare

Basic idea is that your average toothpaste and flouride do more to damage your teeth than help. Teeth are like bones, they are supposed to heal on their own. Toothpastes coat your teeth with a film that is supposed to prevent stains, but this layer also prevents healing. It blocks the "pores" on the teeth.
Flouride is a poison! and terrible for the gums. If you don't believe me read the back of your toothpaste. There are Poison warnings on it.

I've been using a 100% Olive Oil soap for about a year and a half instead of toothpaste. Its $3.99 at the local Walgreens, so really cheap. Simply wet your brush, then swirl on the soap, then brush for 2 mins 2X a day. Within two weeks I noticed my cold sensitivity diminish. I never had perfectly white teeth due to my "I don't give a F" attitude as a young man, but they do seem whiter. My gums though are the true selling point here. No more bleeding while flossing, and a nice pale pink color.

I also add in a weekly Baking soda brushing and use Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouth rinse.

Give it a try.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

cheapedy wrote:

Basic idea is that your average toothpaste and flouride do more to damage your teeth than help. Teeth are like bones, they are supposed to heal on their own. Toothpastes coat your teeth with a film that is supposed to prevent stains, but this layer also prevents healing. It blocks the "pores" on the teeth.
Flouride is a poison! and terrible for the gums. If you don't believe me read the back of your toothpaste. There are Poison warnings on it.

I've been using a 100% Olive Oil soap for about a year and a half instead of toothpaste. Its $3.99 at the local Walgreens, so really cheap. Simply wet your brush, then swirl on the soap, then brush for 2 mins 2X a day. Within two weeks I noticed my cold sensitivity diminish. I never had perfectly white teeth due to my "I don't give a F" attitude as a young man, but they do seem whiter. My gums though are the true selling point here. No more bleeding while flossing, and a nice pale pink color.

I also add in a weekly Baking soda brushing and use Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouth rinse.

Give it a try.

I also recommend drinking hot liquid lead to help you develop your muscles.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

lol
cheapedy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm serious about this. I neglected my teeth for years. As a kid I had that regiment that most of us had, so they were O.K. But once I moved out and was living with friends they got really bad, as did my skin and weight. I'm no health nut, but it has worked for me.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject:

cheapedy wrote:

Give it a try.

Yeah, who needs the dentist anyways....
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

cheapedy wrote:
I'm serious about this. I neglected my teeth for years. As a kid I had that regiment that most of us had, so they were O.K. But once I moved out and was living with friends they got really bad, as did my skin and weight. I'm no health nut, but it has worked for me.

Please stop. If you want to completely ignore research-based medicine, that's your choice. It's an incredibly dumb choice, but yours to make nonetheless. When you start trying to convince others to do the same, based on arguments that you do not even fully understand, then you are out of line.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
cheapedy wrote:

Please stop. If you want to completely ignore research-based medicine, that's your choice. It's an incredibly dumb choice, but yours to make nonetheless. When you start trying to convince others to do the same, based on arguments that you do not even fully understand, then you are out of line.

truth.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
Jeffs wrote:
cheapedy wrote:

truth.

Another reason not to listen to medical advice on here...I've learned that acupuncture is a great way to fix heart problems, teeth heal on their own and taking too many vaccinations can hurt you....
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Jeffs wrote:
cheapedy wrote:

truth.

Another reason not to listen to medical advice on here...I've learned that acupuncture is a great way to fix heart problems, teeth heal on their own and taking too many vaccinations can hurt you....

free advice is often like that.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Just do oil pulling, you'll be aiight.
rockyp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Getting dental work done at USC or UCLA can still be expensive especially if youre a student, not to mention it can take up to 4 hours just to get one procedure done because each step done by the student dentist has to be checked over by the professor. If you care about the costs you can try looking for aj affordable private practice that will let you pay in installments at an affordable price. But if you rather go to a school, try Western University in pomona, theyre affordable and their facility is state of the art brand new.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:

cheapedy wrote:

Give it a try.

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/shaq-laughing-gif.gif

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Forgot to update this, but I ended up taking care of everything with a regular dentist. He's a family friend, so he eased up a little bit on the price. And it's also nice to go to a professional with his own practice, whom you're comfortable with, and can talk to. Luckily, I didn't need a root canal, but I did have a bunch of cavities (took care of everything in a couple of visits).

Do you guys know how long you're supposed to have sensitivity in the area's where you get the filling (I only had composite resin fillings).

Also, does anyone with fillings in their front teeth have experience with teeth whitening? I had a few composite fillings in my front teeth, and did a couple sessions of Crest WhiteStrips with some surprising success. I'm wondering how white the surrounding teeth would have to be to start to notice the filling.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: