Best way to rent a DSLR camera

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Best way to rent a DSLR camera

Is this even a thing?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Samy's rents them out.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Went with ATSRentals.com, based on the reviews of several dslr rental places, they seem to have their act together, so I gave them a try.

Understandably, renting cameras to folks on the internet could be somewhat risky, so I was asked to send in a utility bill and a scan/photo of my CDL, then they called to ask what I'd be using the camera for and what venue(s). After I got through the verification process, they promptly shipped out a Canon Mark 5D III via Ups 2nd day air. I begrudgingly went with the ridiculously expensive Mark 5D III when other cameras I had been eyeing were all rented out for the dates that I had planned to shoot. The website gives dates of availability and it's a good idea to plan ahead since many of the popular camera models will be rented out quickly.

The camera arrived in good condition via a sturdy, well-padded shipping box; they included a Ups ground return label and even some packing tape to make returning the camera pain-free. When one of the events got canceled, I ended up shipping the camera back a day early and they even credited me back for that day. After this first rental, I apparently moved up in their trust level, so they promised the next rental will be much easier without the verification and twenty questions.

While ATS' pricing isn't bad, there was always an uneasy feeling I'm probably going to have it stolen out of my car or somehow break the camera. Might just pick up an older used camera and save on the fees for now. It was a better experience than expected, but would like to try a local place next time to compare.

(Before renting from them, checked all around for reviews, came across this video which seemed to help in the process.
)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: