True Detective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Interview with creator Nic Pizzolatto http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/03/10/true-detective-post-mortem-creator-nic-pizzoletto-on-happy-endings-season-2-and-the-future-of-cohle-and-hart/

Quote:
What’s the update on season two?
I am still fleshing it out. The basic idea: Hard women, bad men, and the secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system. I was well on my way in the writing but there’s been a lot noise and work around the end of the first season that got in the way.

Is it true that you’ve retained the literary rights to Cohle and Hart?
I do. So maybe you will see Cohle and Hart novels down the road after Hollywood kicks me out. Always a possibility.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Great interview. I took Cohle's "redemption" at the end to not necessarily be religious or god based at all, but figured i could have been wrong too. Nice to see I got what Nic was after. That's good storytelling
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Nic kept going back to the story within a story theme. Yell8w King, etc. My take is the series was the first book of Martin Hart's new career, as the author of the true crime genre.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Great interview. I took Cohle's "redemption" at the end to not necessarily be religious or god based at all, but figured i could have been wrong too. Nice to see I got what Nic was after. That's good storytelling

It could definitely go either way. MMc was an executive producer so his intention might have been for it to be a turn towards religion.

Me personally I saw it as Rust finally becoming human again.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Yeah, that was an interesting read right after having watched it. To me it was sort of transcendent of religion and much more rooted in the natural, organic look we had seen all through the season. When Rust says, "the Light is winning", to me that seemed to be not only a transition for him, but a description of EVERYTHING.

Relating things to the evolution of the universe in those terms was less about good and evil and much more about the essence of the world we exist in. It started in darkness and the light has been expanding from that darkness ever since and it will continue to do - for better or for worse. How one views that is a matter of perspective.

Do you see the expanse of darkness, or do you see the ever-expanding lightness? What do you do with that perspective. You aren't going to change the march of time, so what are you going to do with the time you have?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I liked Rust's little Jesus moment at the end. And he can feel again! I'm really glad they didn't end it all depressing-like with some Cult Doctor killing them both in the hospital.

Light vs Dark...knowing that it's cool that Rust was wearing all white during his fight with Errol.

There was that scene were things start to coalesce for Rust. There's an angle over his shoulder looking at the wall of evidence as he starts to have a revelation and everything is a washed out brightness, from the wall to the clothes, it's basically a field of white in the frame. Then they go to the reverse of Marty where the background is darker (and yellow).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The show is not anti-religion or anti-anything. The show is against not thinking.

Something I inked early on. When I realized the show wasn't about a who dun it, was more about the main characters interaction.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
The show is not anti-religion or anti-anything. The show is against not thinking.

Something I inked early on. When I realized the show wasn't about a who dun it, was more about the main characters interaction.

Not even just not thinking, thinking the proper amount. Rust and Errol probably thought about things a bit TOO much. Marty a bit too little. By the end they both seemed to reach a happy medium...
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject:

the show was about people over thinking... which makes me think, was this the last episode of season 1?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:

To me, it's primarily about Rust's social detachment and his rediscovery of meaning through love. His description about what he felt when he saw the darkness will stay with me for a long time. McConaughey's finest moment. I'm not ashamed to say I began crying, too.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
To me, it's primarily about Rust's social detachment and his rediscovery of meaning through love. His description about what he felt when he saw the darkness will stay with me for a long time. McConaughey's finest moment. I'm not ashamed to say I began crying, too.

I turned off the TV and just sat in the darkness of my bedroom contemplating that for a good long time.

It was a line that really would come off cheesy and a cop out in most instances. But in the context of that show and that character it was truly moving and eye opening.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject:

another thing... so who's the Yellow King?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject:

ALREADY!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject:

Time is a flat circle

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject:

The Yellow King.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject:

True Detective, as seen by Kareem:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kareem-abduljabbar/true-detective_b_4985514.html

Quote:
Hey, It's the South! Where Are All the Black People?

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/true-detective-now-most-watched-hbo-freshman-series-ever/

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
True Detective, as seen by Kareem:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kareem-abduljabbar/true-detective_b_4985514.html

Quote:
Hey, It's the South! Where Are All the Black People?

The meat of that section:

Quote:
True Detective got the racial mix right. The only major African-American characters are the two detectives, Thomas Papania (Tory Kittles) and Maynard Gilbough (Michael Potts), interviewing Cohle and Hart seventeen years after the Dora Lange case is closed. The fact that the landscape in the 1995 part of the story is Alaskan white is meant to portray the dark good-ole-boys Old South history, in which the degenerate, perverse way of thinking led to unspeakable crimes, as manifested in the cult of child molesters and murderers. The black detectives looking to uncover the truth of what really happened represent a New Millennium South that may be flawed from their horrific past, but is on the mend. That is why it is the two black detectives who, in the end, save the lives of Cohle and Hart. So, in this case, it's not the quantity of blacks in the series, it's the quality of character that they represent.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject:

I knew Cap was intelligent, didn't know he had this kind of ability to write, that was so literally articulate.
His choice of word description and references really surprised me. e.g.
reference quote.

Quote:
If you took Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, forced them Clockwork Orange-style to watch a thousand hours of child abuse videos, locked them in gen pop at Arkham Asylum for three years to mingle with the pure craziness of the Joker and Two-Face, then made them listen to an even crazier Dick Cheney smugly justify his political actions, you'd end up with Rust Cohle and Martin Hart, the emotionally damaged fallen angel cops in True Detective. Like its gritty heroes, the show is mesmerizing, good-hearted, occasionally brilliant -- and occasionally flawed.

Kareem is definitely a man of many hats. Airplane "The hell I don't. I've been hearing the crap every since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:

LINK

Quote:
Right now, we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one. The characters are all new, but I’m deeply in love with each of them. We’ve got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LINK

Quote:
Right now, we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one. The characters are all new, but I’m deeply in love with each of them. We’ve got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months.

IE? Humboldt? Monterey County?

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
LINK

Quote:

I should add this quote regarding the content of Season 2, straight from NP: “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”

Hmm. Route 66? GM conspiracy?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
C M B wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
LINK

Quote:

I should add this quote regarding the content of Season 2, straight from NP: “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”

Hmm. Route 66? GM conspiracy?

There is no ''GM conspiracy'' associated with Route 66. That's tied to the LA trolley system. But they already ruled out LA as a major backdrop.

Perhaps it will take place in the Imperial valley.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject:

Rumor - this is BRANGELINA's next project.

Can't wait!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Rumor - this is BRANGELINA's next project.

Can't wait!

God I hope not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24
Jump to: