KIDS REACT TO WALKMANS (Portable Cassette Players)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Cassette tapes are probably one of the few medium that have no redeeming quality. I don't see anybody longing for the days of cassettes. Noise, hissing, easily degradable if the tape gets stuck in the player, the list goes on.

Walking around with an iPod just isn't as sexy as a gigantic boombox on your shoulder.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Cassette tapes are probably one of the few medium that have no redeeming quality. I don't see anybody longing for the days of cassettes. Noise, hissing, easily degradable if the tape gets stuck in the player, the list goes on.

Definitely not when it comes to fidelity.

But I do miss the dedication and artisanship it took to dedicate oneself to making an awesome cassette. I used to spend hours picking my favorite songs from my albums and laying them off to tape. And then I'd go and make elaborate graphic labels showing the bands that were on the tape and showing the song list. There was a ton of thought and effort that went into making a great tape - and I'd make dozens. Building a playlist in iTunes doesn't even remotely feel like the same thing.

Not to be an old curmudgeon, but one thing I think that hurts the overall musical experience for the youth of today is the immediacy of it and the disposability of it. In the MP3/Internet age, you can essentially get anything you want within moments of hearing it. And you can quickly arrange it and edit to your immediate taste in any particular moment. You can quickly and cheaply consume anything and there's no risk of buyers remorse.

I have a definite nostalgia for the days when your LP collection was pretty much gold. You had to physically handle your albums as well as take care of them to be able to listen to them. There was an intimacy that came from doing so. The cover art was there in your face before you even got to the music. The vinyl was in your hands. It was all so tangible. And to get the music, you had to go to a music store. And to find new music you had to take a proactive attitude and seek it out based on limited resources.

As an old curmudgeon, I enjoy the fact that I can now get great new music without a ton of personal investment, and I embrace it. I love new technology - especially when it enhances the experience. But I definitely have a soft spot for what it used to be like to have to engage in a very dedicated and proactive journey into music. I'll never get chills listening to the music I have found in the last 20 years or so. But there are pieces of music from my youth that will always send a chill or a warmth throughout me That's not to say that I don't enjoy recent music as much, or that I don't think it is as good. Not at all. But there's not that emotional connection that comes to finding and having the music you like that there used to be.

So short answer, yes cassettes sucked quality wise. But they had a coolness that transcended the acoustics.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Definitely not when it comes to fidelity.

But I do miss the dedication and artisanship it took to dedicate oneself to making an awesome cassette. I used to spend hours picking my favorite songs from my albums and laying them off to tape. And then I'd go and make elaborate graphic labels showing the bands that were on the tape and showing the song list. There was a ton of thought and effort that went into making a great tape - and I'd make dozens. Building a playlist in iTunes doesn't even remotely feel like the same thing.

Not to be an old curmudgeon, but one thing I think that hurts the overall musical experience for the youth of today is the immediacy of it and the disposability of it. In the MP3/Internet age, you can essentially get anything you want within moments of hearing it. And you can quickly arrange it and edit to your immediate taste in any particular moment. You can quickly and cheaply consume anything and there's no risk of buyers remorse.

I have a definite nostalgia for the days when your LP collection was pretty much gold. You had to physically handle your albums as well as take care of them to be able to listen to them. There was an intimacy that came from doing so. The cover art was there in your face before you even got to the music. The vinyl was in your hands. It was all so tangible. And to get the music, you had to go to a music store. And to find new music you had to take a proactive attitude and seek it out based on limited resources.

As an old curmudgeon, I enjoy the fact that I can now get great new music without a ton of personal investment, and I embrace it. I love new technology - especially when it enhances the experience. But I definitely have a soft spot for what it used to be like to have to engage in a very dedicated and proactive journey into music. I'll never get chills listening to the music I have found in the last 20 years or so. But there are pieces of music from my youth that will always send a chill or a warmth throughout me That's not to say that I don't enjoy recent music as much, or that I don't think it is as good. Not at all. But there's not that emotional connection that comes to finding and having the music you like that there used to be.

So short answer, yes cassettes sucked quality wise. But they had a coolness that transcended the acoustics.

Sure if you are talking about creating your own mixtape. But that was because it was such a pain in the butt to do compared to what it took in newer mediums like CD's. There was actually a lot of effort to create one because you couldn't do it on your computer. Speaking of things that were a pain in the butt, did anyone actually learn how to program a VCR?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject:

Man, the greatest thing was sticking around the radio all day with a tape READY to record anything cool that would come up.

Had a lot of tapes with the first 20 or 30 seconds of the song missing
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: