Your pick for MIP? (and Rankings)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisCrossed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Your pick for MIP? (and Rankings)

Piggybacking off the MVP topic. Imo quite a few people can make a case fo being most improved

1: Deandre Jordan
2: Goran Dragic
3: Anthony Davis

I put Jordan above Davis and Dragic cause although they are far superior players, Jordan went from pure crap to a good big man.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Dragic, Davis, then either Green or Jordan. I'd lean toward Green.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Davis. His climb was a lot harder and he's expected to be the best player every night with the pressures of carrying a franchise on his shoulders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

deandre sucks
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

He elevated his game from "sucks" to "mediocre to average one-way defensive center" this year. He did improve. Just the same, I'd have a hard time giving an award to someone who improved to mediocrity, when there is someone who improved to stardom.

DeAndre Jordan is a great example of the power of box score stats. There are people in the media who see only his rebounds, blocks, and shooting percentage. They don't see that he is actually a mediocre defensive center who has a high shooting percentage for the same reason that Mark Eaton once did -- if you only shoot when it is a gimme, your percentage ought to be high.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

He elevated his game from "sucks" to "mediocre to average one-way defensive center" this year. He did improve. Just the same, I'd have a hard time giving an award to someone who improved to mediocrity, when there is someone who improved to stardom.

DeAndre Jordan is a great example of the power of box score stats. There are people in the media who see only his rebounds, blocks, and shooting percentage. They don't see that he is actually a mediocre defensive center who has a high shooting percentage for the same reason that Mark Eaton once did -- if you only shoot when it is a gimme, your percentage ought to be high.

Yup. His rebounding rate improved because he has been placed closer to the basket (on both ends), and he actually shoots less this year per minute than last. His man defense is below average at his position, and his help defense isn't all that great either. The team is actually better defensively when he's off the court.

He's actually a microcosm of the Clippers. They are at 57 wins this year vs 56 last year, they are about a point per 100 possessions better offensively than last year and about a point per 100 possessions worse defensively, but they are seen as hugely improved. Pretty much Blake Griffin continued to improve his game and everything else is pretty much a wash.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject:

Bledsoe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

The so-called advanced stats like him quite a bit as well.

2nd in Total Rebound Percentage
3rd in Defensive Win Shares
4th in Block Percentage
4th in True Shooting Percentage
4th in Offensive Rating
9th in Overall Win Shares
9th in Wins Above Replacement
21st in Real Plus/Minus (T-2nd amongst centers)

To me, the criticism that his % should be high because he only shoots the ball when he's around the basket is hollow. There are plenty of players in the league who fit that description, and none of them score as efficiently as he does. He's scoring in double digits while being 7th on his team in FGAs per game.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

Yup. His rebounding rate improved because he has been placed closer to the basket (on both ends), and he actually shoots less this year per minute than last. His man defense is below average at his position, and his help defense isn't all that great either. The team is actually better defensively when he's off the court.

He's actually a microcosm of the Clippers. They are at 57 wins this year vs 56 last year, they are about a point per 100 possessions better offensively than last year and about a point per 100 possessions worse defensively, but they are seen as hugely improved. Pretty much Blake Griffin continued to improve his game and everything else is pretty much a wash.

Yeah but his defensive rating is way up there.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

I think the Clippers are much better. The Clippers won more one game despite the fact they had more injury problems this year and had to adjust to a new coach and new system. I think the starting lineup is much better with the improvements of Griffin and Jordan, and the addition of Redick. I like the additions of Glen Davis and Granger to the bench (Those players have only played in a small number of games, which is another thing the regular season record doesn't tell us. The bench was a weakness early in the season and that has affected the Clippers record; Mullens and Jamison no longer play for the team). Finally, the Clippers don't need to rely on Chris Paul to do everything for them. Last year Paul was the only real star of the team. This year, Blake has become a real superstar. I think that makes a big difference.

I also think the 56 wins last season was probably a fluke. They had a 17 game winning streak that made a huge difference. The Clippers looked pretty ordinary the rest of the season. They were also much healthier. If injuries hit that team as hard as injuries have hit this years team, I doubt that team would get more than 50-52 wins.

Unfortunately for the Clippers, they have a tough road in the playoffs. I don't see them getting by both OKC and the Spurs. The Clippers do look like they could handle the postseason better, which is another reason they are seen as an improved team. But it would take a terrific team to get by Golden State, OKC, SA and the East champion.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I would probably go with Deandre Jordan followed by Anthony Davis. Probably a couple of Suns on the list. I don't know if you count Miles Plumlee. He had a big leap but he pretty much didn't play at all last year.

Honorable mention to Jodie Meeks. Saw someone mention he has had the biggest PPG leap this season.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

I don't have a good feel for how they figure those, but when your guy beats you like a rented goalie most nights, and your opponent is more efficient overall when you are ON the floor than off, you're not that good a defender.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

I think the Clippers are much better. The Clippers won more one game despite the fact they had more injury problems this year and had to adjust to a new coach and new system. I think the starting lineup is much better with the improvements of Griffin and Jordan, and the addition of Redick. I like the additions of Glen Davis and Granger to the bench (Those players have only played in a small number of games, which is another thing the regular season record doesn't tell us. The bench was a weakness early in the season and that has affected the Clippers record; Mullens and Jamison no longer play for the team). Finally, the Clippers don't need to rely on Chris Paul to do everything for them. Last year Paul was the only real star of the team. This year, Blake has become a real superstar. I think that makes a big difference.

I also think the 56 wins last season was probably a fluke. They had a 17 game winning streak that made a huge difference. The Clippers looked pretty ordinary the rest of the season. They were also much healthier. If injuries hit that team as hard as injuries have hit this years team, I doubt that team would get more than 50-52 wins.

Unfortunately for the Clippers, they have a tough road in the playoffs. I don't see them getting by both OKC and the Spurs. The Clippers do look like they could handle the postseason better, which is another reason they are seen as an improved team. But it would take a terrific team to get by Golden State, OKC, SA and the East champion.

I think they are improved in some ways, and not in others. There's a lot of mythology around them, like the notion that CP3 does less this year. He's actually dominating the ball more, taking more shots and using more possessions per minute despite a slower pace. Same with Griffin, who has improved. The rest of the team has taken more of a back seat, including Jordan, who is getting less shots per minute than last year (25% less). And like I said, their D has gotten worse.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Your pick for MIP? (and Rankings)

ChrisCrossed wrote:
Piggybacking off the MVP topic. Imo quite a few people can make a case fo being most improved

1: Deandre Jordan
2: Goran Dragic
3: Anthony Davis

I put Jordan above Davis and Dragic cause although they are far superior players, Jordan went from pure crap to a good big man.
DJ was never pure crap. he was a jumping bean. and guess what. he still is a jumping bean. now he doesnt jump at 100% of all up fakes. its like 60% which helsp his defense a ton.

but on offense he's still no more then a lob catcher put back guy.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

thank you.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Davis or Lance Stephenson. I think Lance is probably more elite than anyone else mentioned.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

I don't have a good feel for how they figure those, but when your guy beats you like a rented goalie most nights, and your opponent is more efficient overall when you are ON the floor than off, you're not that good a defender.

I was being facetious . Completely agree with you.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
24 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Drifts wrote:
deandre sucks

I think they are improved in some ways, and not in others. There's a lot of mythology around them, like the notion that CP3 does less this year. He's actually dominating the ball more, taking more shots and using more possessions per minute despite a slower pace. Same with Griffin, who has improved. The rest of the team has taken more of a back seat, including Jordan, who is getting less shots per minute than last year (25% less). And like I said, their D has gotten worse.

I'm not sure how much to make out of those stats because they include games from early in the season. I think some teams change a lot during the season. How good a team is during November and December doesn't necessarily tell you how good they are in April.

For what it's worth, I don't see Paul dominate the ball as much in the last few minutes of a game (compared to the last couple of seasons), and I don't think he is the clear #1 option on the team like he was earlier in the season. A year ago, Paul was the entire offense late in the 4th quarter. Doc Rivers has changed that. I also wonder if he would dominate the ball as much this season if the team was healthier.

Edit: The defense might be worse, but I also think that has improved a lot compared to November. The Clippers looked much worse defensively at the start of the season, and they were giving more minutes to bad defensive players (Dudley and Mullens). Today Mullens is no longer on the team and Dudley has gone to the bench, and might not even play at all in the playoffs if Granger comes back.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

4th in Block Percentage
4th in Offensive Rating

To me, the criticism that his % should be high because he only shoots the ball when he's around the basket is hollow. There are plenty of players in the league who fit that description, and none of them score as efficiently as he does. He's scoring in double digits while being 7th on his team in FGAs per game.

I discount any offensive stats involving DeAndre because he takes only six shots per game. This is the Mark Eaton factor. If you only shoot gimmes, you ought to be efficient. I understand why you think that this is hollow, but the fact that he is more efficient than the other offensive stiffs at the center position does not make him a good offensive player.

WS and ORtg are questionable stats, as shown here. DeAndre Freaking Jordan is 4th in the league in ORtg? Seriously? (He actually slipped to 5th after the last game, but it's still laughable.) DeAndre Freaking Jordan is 9th in the league in Win Shares? Really? (He actually slipped to 10th after the last game.) This just shows you why these stats are so shaky. They are based solely on box score stats. DeAndre is pretty good at box score stats. He just sucks at everything else.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject:

This whole box score stats suck mentality, well, sucks.

Every freekin' person here looks at them. DB's summary has observations, backed by stats. Sorry, they matter.

The people who don't like box score stats, often, have some favorite player that doesn't stat out well, or some "unfavorite" player that does. Usually, the same people who say stats don't matter, use stats to prove their point.

Which stats matter the most will always be the debate. +/- has value within a team, and some beyond. Adjusted +/- has more value but relies on the assumptions of regressions and requires years of data to be really reflective, due to all the possible player combinations, so is flawed as well.

Wins shares are just a box score stat . . . Yeah, and probably the best single indicator out there. Look at this list:

1. Kevin Durant-OKC 19.2
2. LeBron James-MIA 16.0
3. Kevin Love-MIN 14.3
4. Stephen Curry-GSW 13.3
5. James Harden-HOU 12.8
6. Blake Griffin-LAC 12.2
7. Chris Paul-LAC 12.2
8. Kyle Lowry-TOR 11.7
9. Joakim Noah-CHI 11.2
10. DeAndre Jordan-LAC 11.1

Not too bad, eh?

There is a big gap between 1 and 2, as there should be. A decent size gap between 2 and 3. Then they begin to bunch up. DeAndre might not be worthy of ten, maybe, but his 11.1 is significantly behind Durant's 19.2.

How about last year.

1. LeBron James-MIA 19.3
2. Kevin Durant-OKC 18.9
3. Chris Paul-LAC 13.9
4. James Harden-HOU 12.8
5. Russell Westbrook-OKC 11.6
6. Marc Gasol-MEM 11.5
7. Stephen Curry-GSW 11.2
8. Kobe Bryant-LAL 10.9
9. Deron Williams-BRK 10.9
10. Blake Griffin-LAC 10.6

Still, not too bad. We all know Blake improved this year, and it shows, that CP3's injury hurt him a bit, and it shows. Marc was really good last year, and it shows.

Find a better single indicator with results that more closely mirror reality.

82games Simple Rating (an attempt to mesh box score stats with +/-, with a 2/3 factor of Net Production (PER like), to a 1/3 factor +/-) is also very good, and tends to have excellent results as well

OKC Durant 16.2
MIN Love 16
MIA James 13.7
NYK Anthony 13.1
LAC Paul 12.9
GSW Curry 12.8
HOU Harden 10.8
PHO Dragic 9.6
NOH Davis 9.5
IND George 9.3

One could argue this has comparable results, but I doubt many put Love at 2, just barely behind Durant, or Carmelo at 4 this year. As such, generally, win shares seems to have results that mirror better what I see.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

4th in Block Percentage
4th in Offensive Rating

Add to that this,

ribeye wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Deandre Jordan an MVP candidate? Really?

I wouldn't call that an MVP candidate, but let's skip the semantics.

He leads the league in offensive rebounds
He leads the league in defensive rebounds
He leads the league in rebounds per game.
He leads the league in shooting percentage (the second best in 40 years and fourth best of all time).
He is second in the league in blocks
He is third in the league in blocks per game.
He is fourth in the league in TS%
He is third in the league in defensive win shares
He is fourth in the league in offensive rating
He is eighth in the league in defensive rating
He has the largest differential between offensive and defensive rating
He is ninth in the league in win shares.
He is fourteenth in the league in WS/48
He is ninth in ASPM
He is ninth in Value Over Replacement Player (ahead of Griffin)
He is fifteenth in the league in xRAPM [probably the best adjusted +/- out there and, essentially, what ESPN uses]

Not a bad season.

and this:

ribeye wrote:

Jordan beats or equals Howard in all the major categories except points. Here, Howard shoots more, but is less efficient at it, shooting .594 to .675.

When you look further, Howard's 73.4% from 0-3' is nearly identical compared to Jordan's 71.7%, but he gets more touches inside--maybe a factor of not having a Griffin, who shoots 40% of his shoots from 0-3'. When these guys begin to depart is in the 3-10' range, where Howard gets over 40% of his shots, but here, he shoots 40.6% to Jordan's 47.7%.

and:

ribeye wrote:
. . . point[s] to an article that links to another site for advanced +/-, IPV [I am not familiar with this stat; it was pointed out to me indirectly] . . . Jordan . . . finishes 8th

and why not stick this in as well:

1 DeAndre Jordan, C LAC (games: 82 (all) PPS 1.66

and, as I just noticed, 9th in ESPN's WAR (from their Real +/-)

You really gotta hate this guy to say he didn't have a really good season.

Last edited by ribeye on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject:

all these stats is making me hate Stern more... if CP3 can make Deandre look good, imagine what he could've done with the Lakers...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

If you choose to ignore the limitations of box score stats, especially when evaluating defense, then there really isn't anything we can say to you that will help. If you really think that DeAndre Jordan is one of the top 10 players in the league because of Win Shares, then you are lost at sea.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ribeye wrote:

If you choose to ignore the limitations of box score stats, especially when evaluating defense, then there really isn't anything we can say to you that will help. If you really think that DeAndre Jordan is one of the top 10 players in the league because of Win Shares, then you are lost at sea.

Nice "analysis."

(By the way, get it right. I said he had a 10-15 season. This does not, as you say, mean, MVP caliber season, nor, as you say, mean superstar. It means what it says. I put him about 12th or 13th FOR THE SEASON as I see it now.)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

I don't feel the need to endlessly repeat myself. I've already explained the problems with what you are saying, and so have other posters. You do not seem willing to engage the issue, so this is all the analysis you get.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: