OFFICIAL KOBE BRYANT CONTRACT DISCUSSION: P&M and Second Guessing Here --->
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 216, 217, 218  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I wouldn't exactly call Nash and Chandler selling high. More like dumping too early.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
FWIW, I wouldn't exactly call Nash and Chandler selling high. More like dumping too early.

Probably the worst basketball decision Cuban has ever made, IMO
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Sometimes I consider myself the prophet of LG ... got dumped on for saying to Amnesty Kobe and tell him to take the year off

Then re-sign him in the off season.

Funny, Kobe came back to break his leg and the Lakers get a tax hit.

I see like most prophets, you kind of rearrange things after the fact...

Search function

I don't think you catch my meaning. You are basically crowing about Kobe's injury validating your amnesty suggestion, glossing over the likely impossibility of that suggestion at the time.

Anyone who knows the first thing about Kobe knows he would be unwilling to shut it down like that, not to mention losing the bird rights that have future salary implications. Then there's the issue of another team making a waiver claim...

And we haven't even gotten to the PR hit.

Yeah, it's unlikely an amnesty would have led us down the same eventual path. Having said that, Mark Cuban might have been spot on in his suggestion of amnestying Kobe. He knew the Lakers would be in a tough position in terms of having to overpay to keep him.

Cuban does have a good history of knowing when to sell high.

Cuban sold high on a title team and is now locked in 7th-10th seed mediocrity with no end in sight. I don't think I'd describe that as knowing when to sell high.

They do have cap room and trade assets.

What trade assets? And the amount of cap room that they have is going to depend heavily on how generous Dirk is. I don't see Dallas being a contender in the next 3 years, personally.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Wright, Dalembert, Calderon, and Monta are all tradeable assets, and their cap space could be a max guy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Wright, Dalembert, Calderon, and Monta are all tradeable assets, and their cap space could be a max guy.

But then they have nothing on the roster to go with Dirk and the player they trade for.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
24 wrote:

But then they have nothing on the roster to go with Dirk and the player they trade for.

Well it all depends on the trade, and what they do with their cap room. They have a ton of it if they want.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject:

Just wait till we resign Pau at something like 4 years @ 50mil... and then kobe to another 3yr..
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject:

I really hope Kobe comes back beast mode next year. If he doesn't this thread will go over 9000.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Sometimes I consider myself the prophet of LG ... got dumped on for saying to Amnesty Kobe and tell him to take the year off

Then re-sign him in the off season.

Funny, Kobe came back to break his leg and the Lakers get a tax hit.

I see like most prophets, you kind of rearrange things after the fact...

Search function

I don't think you catch my meaning. You are basically crowing about Kobe's injury validating your amnesty suggestion, glossing over the likely impossibility of that suggestion at the time.

Anyone who knows the first thing about Kobe knows he would be unwilling to shut it down like that, not to mention losing the bird rights that have future salary implications. Then there's the issue of another team making a waiver claim...

And we haven't even gotten to the PR hit.

Yeah, it's unlikely an amnesty would have led us down the same eventual path. Having said that, Mark Cuban might have been spot on in his suggestion of amnestying Kobe. He knew the Lakers would be in a tough position in terms of having to overpay to keep him.

Cuban does have a good history of knowing when to sell high.

Cuban sold high on a title team and is now locked in 7th-10th seed mediocrity with no end in sight. I don't think I'd describe that as knowing when to sell high.

I don't think I'd describe what Cuban did as selling high.

How exactly is what he did selling high?
The Joker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject:

All systems a go. Day 1 of a long journey.

Kobe Bryant Begins Intense Six-Month Training Program

Quote:
Kobe Bryant began an intense six-month training program with an early-morning workout Monday, sources with knowledge of the situation said.

As he returns from a broken bone in his left lateral tibial plateau, Bryant has been cleared for running and shooting.

Bryant was confident about pushing harder after receiving positive feedback during a consultation last week with the doctors in Germany who previously performed the platelet-rich plasma treatment known as Orthokine on his knees.

Bryant visited the doctors while he was in Europe on a short trip with his family last week, sources said.

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Cue the flapping jersey...
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The Joker wrote:
All systems a go. Day 1 of a long journey.

Kobe Bryant Begins Intense Six-Month Training Program

Quote:
Kobe Bryant began an intense six-month training program with an early-morning workout Monday, sources with knowledge of the situation said.

As he returns from a broken bone in his left lateral tibial plateau, Bryant has been cleared for running and shooting.

Bryant was confident about pushing harder after receiving positive feedback during a consultation last week with the doctors in Germany who previously performed the platelet-rich plasma treatment known as Orthokine on his knees.

Bryant visited the doctors while he was in Europe on a short trip with his family last week, sources said.

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

Yay! Germany doctors FTW! Give em some of that good ol' Claire's Blood.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Am I the only one who sees Kobe going balls out to prove that he is back and on a one-man mission to the record book? And either his teammates march in step or get out of the way?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cue the flapping jersey...

Haters gonna hate
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Training is not what I'm worried about. Last time he trained like crazy too. When he gets back....how long will he last?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Am I the only one who sees Kobe going balls out to prove that he is back and on a one-man mission to the record book? And either his teammates march in step or get out of the way?

No you're not and that's what scares the absolute hell out of me.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

So, why is Kobe putting out the information about starting his conditioning program? And why is he making a documentary this summer? Especially when it seems like the Lakers will be pretty average next year, at best?

Kobe is an all time great player. He's also an all time great self promoter, much as Phil is. This is the aspect of both men (along with the drama that tends to follow them) that I can do without.

The reason why Kobe is likely doing the "conditioning program information release" as well as the documentary is because all of the marketing build up for the comeback this season failed. The videos, the hype, the anticipation all fizzled out. Kobe was back for 6 games, didn't look like Dominique Wilkins with a repaired Achilles, and then he got hurt again. The movie premiere tanked, to put it another way.

Kobe has one more "act" left in his personal marketing play. And it is to make a successful comeback from his recent injuries and pass Michael Jordan on the scoring list. And I think that is what the "conditioning program information release" and the documentary are about. This is kind of like a second take on what was planned for this year.

If Kobe only plays 2 more years, then he has to go all in now to try to burnish his Superman persona and story. And it appears he is going to do so. It's not my cup of tea, but if we get a healthy and strong Kobe for the next two years I'm good. Kobe is proud, and I'm sure he wants to live up to his contract and his image over the next few seasons.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Yea but what if his body fails him? Thats what I'm worried about the most. Not his teammates.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yea but what if his body fails him? Thats what I'm worried about the most. Not his teammates.
If his body fails him, it fails him. He is not going to half-ass it. It`s not in his nature.
Coop_21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject:

TheLakerWay wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So, why is Kobe putting out the information about starting his conditioning program? And why is he making a documentary this summer? Especially when it seems like the Lakers will be pretty average next year, at best?

Kobe is an all time great player. He's also an all time great self promoter, much as Phil is. This is the aspect of both men (along with the drama that tends to follow them) that I can do without.

The reason why Kobe is likely doing the "conditioning program information release" as well as the documentary is because all of the marketing build up for the comeback this season failed. The videos, the hype, the anticipation all fizzled out. Kobe was back for 6 games, didn't look like Dominique Wilkins with a repaired Achilles, and then he got hurt again. The movie premiere tanked, to put it another way.

Kobe has one more "act" left in his personal marketing play. And it is to make a successful comeback from his recent injuries and pass Michael Jordan on the scoring list. And I think that is what the "conditioning program information release" and the documentary are about. This is kind of like a second take on what was planned for this year.

If Kobe only plays 2 more years, then he has to go all in now to try to burnish his Superman persona and story. And it appears he is going to do so. It's not my cup of tea, but if we get a healthy and strong Kobe for the next two years I'm good. Kobe is proud, and I'm sure he wants to live up to his contract and his image over the next few seasons.

I think that small 6 game sampling showed him what to work on (getting smaller/less bulky) and that he did rush back. It was that sixth game against the Grizzlies where before the knee injury he was looking more like himself. While not as drastic as Nash's circumstances (that Philly game showing he could still play in the league but injuries saying otherwise) I think Kobe knew from that game he could still play above average ball while still rehabbing the Achilles, overweight & without leg strength. Now with a proper 6 months to work it all out he should be fine....barring any freak injuries that older people get.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If he dies, he dies.

!...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Coop_21 wrote:
TheLakerWay wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think that small 6 game sampling showed him what to work on (getting smaller/less bulky) and that he did rush back. It was that sixth game against the Grizzlies where before the knee injury he was looking more like himself. While not as drastic as Nash's circumstances (that Philly game showing he could still play in the league but injuries saying otherwise) I think Kobe knew from that game he could still play above average ball while still rehabbing the Achilles, overweight & without leg strength. Now with a proper 6 months to work it all out he should be fine....barring any freak injuries that older people get.

Unfortunately he suffered a freak knee injury in that game.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Coop_21 wrote:
TheLakerWay wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Good points, but as Yinoma said, he did suffer another freak injury in the Memphis game.

Hopefully Kobe will be full speed ahead for the next two years. He should be in much better shape come training camp than he was when he rushed back this year.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If he dies, he dies.

Sounds like what MDA was thinking on the sidelines watching an injured Kobe battle it out against the Warriors.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I get the vibe that this training will ensure he plays a lot more games than he did last year
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 216, 217, 218  Next
Page 148 of 218
Jump to: