ESPN 30 For 30: Hillsborough

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: ESPN 30 For 30: Hillsborough

May have been their best work ever. It starts off slow but once it gets going it just leaves you speechless. Unbelievable documentary. It's a must watch.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject:

this is off topic, but did the Bad Boys episode air yet?
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject:

lakerforever24 wrote:
this is off topic, but did the Bad Boys episode air yet?

No. Thursday.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject:

I only managed to catch part of it, but it looked brilliant. Some of the stories were heartbreaking. The police officer who gets a man to the hospital, but then finds out that the man has literally died in his arms. The mother who waits at the bus station, hoping that her son will get off one of the buses so she can hug him. The father who drives to Sheffield and has to just sit in the stands, waiting for news.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I only managed to catch part of it, but it looked brilliant. Some of the stories were heartbreaking. The police officer who gets a man to the hospital, but then finds out that the man has literally died in his arms. The mother who waits at the bus station, hoping that her son will get off one of the buses so she can hug him. The father who drives to Sheffield and has to just sit in the stands, waiting for news.

It was incredibly depressing. One of the guys from the documentary I think his name was Toni Evans fired off a bunch of tweets last night about his memories of that day. He lost a friend at the game and ended up finding him later. His friend didn't talk for days then finally said do you know what it's like to feel a man's ribs break below your feet. His friend's elbow also got stuck against a guys neck who was turning blue. The guy pleaded with him to move his elbow but he couldn't move his arm.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject:

this basically changed football around the world as we know it.

It was a real eye opener. I frequent manchester united forums and liverpool forums.. its amazing how much this impacted the UK.. Especially the emotional attachment football fans have (compared to other sports)... you think about how that could be you. dang.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

I look forward to the opportunity to watch the whole thing. The 15 minutes or so that I saw was riveting.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I look forward to the opportunity to watch the whole thing. The 15 minutes or so that I saw was riveting.

Sunday night there is supposed to be a replay.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I DVRed it and look forward to watching it.

Last week, they had a minute of silence before the Liverpool-Man City game with a large banner saying "96." One of the most moving things I've ever seen at a sports event.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject:

What a tragedy, just heartbreaking. The documentary was very well done but honestly I think I would have rather not seen it.

To think that young children were caught in that is just surreal, and these types of crowd crushes had happened before and since even at concerts.

Hopefully crowd control has improved enough now that those types of things will never happen again, that was a very hard documentary to watch.

Last edited by LakerLanny on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I just finished watching it all the way through. It was a powerful work. I'm not sold on the notion that the police supervisors should have been prosecuted for the disaster itself. But the editing of the witness statements is shocking. I had heard that the statements had been edited, but I didn't realize how comprehensive and extensive it had been.

And yes, I agree with Lanny that the scenes of the crush itself were hard to watch. I will never complain about crowd control at a major public event again. I had read about Hillsborough at length in the past, but until you see the actual TV images, you don't fully appreciate it. I never truly realized that all of the controls for entering and leaving arenas and outdoor events were so vital, or that the absence of those sorts of controls could lead to something so horrible.
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I too just finished watching it, that was powerful and oh so sad.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject:

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I just finished watching it all the way through. It was a powerful work. I'm not sold on the notion that the police supervisors should have been prosecuted for the disaster itself. But the editing of the witness statements is shocking. I had heard that the statements had been edited, but I didn't realize how comprehensive and extensive it had been.

And yes, I agree with Lanny that the scenes of the crush itself were hard to watch. I will never complain about crowd control at a major public event again. I had read about Hillsborough at length in the past, but until you see the actual TV images, you don't fully appreciate it. I never truly realized that all of the controls for entering and leaving arenas and outdoor events were so vital, or that the absence of those sorts of controls could lead to something so horrible.

Agreed they should not be prosecuted.

I was extremely touched by the scene at the 20th anniversary at the liverpool game - you have a fan base that was basically the scapegoat for these people's deaths and they chant "justice"... not for the fanbase, but for the victims. As much as Sheffield Wednesday and Liverpool disliked each other, that was very stand up by the liverpool crowd.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject:

i watched parts of it, I need to catch the whole thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: