Revisiting the vetoed trade for Chris Paul...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

Ours obviously...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Clippers deal was better. Great draft pick, Eric Gordon, Kaman.

So they traded for that great draft pick? No actually they made such a bad trade that they ended up with an awful record and some pretty coincidental luck.

That's the point of "tanking". Be bad, hope to land a high pick and nab an impact player. It's what tons of teams are doing this very season.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject:

i wonder stern would accept if we offered bynum for cp3
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
vkewalra wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Clippers deal was better. Great draft pick, Eric Gordon, Kaman.

So they traded for that great draft pick? No actually they made such a bad trade that they ended up with an awful record and some pretty coincidental luck.

That's the point of "tanking". Be bad, hope to land a high pick and nab an impact player. It's what tons of teams are doing this very season.

Yes. I said so at the time. The Scola/Odom/Dragic Hornets would have been good enough to win 35-40 games at least and instead of having Anthony Davis, they have some guy who may not even have survived in the league.

It's crazy way to think, but when you lose a superstar, one of the best things to do is tank for a season to get great draft pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject:

How many times this veto and Phil Jackson and Dwight Coward will be revisited? I hope not many more, cause im sick and tired of all those subjects. Let it go fellas, just let it go and embrace the future, for better or worse.

Peace
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject:

For you conspiracy theorists, what was the real reason that the Buss' just rolled over when the veto came down? Was there a payback promised down the line? Will it happen in a few weeks with a slightly weighted ping pong ball?
LakerCity
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

nobody rolled over
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
For you conspiracy theorists, what was the real reason that the Buss' just rolled over when the veto came down? Was there a payback promised down the line? Will it happen in a few weeks with a slightly weighted ping pong ball?

Normally i'm not one for bribes or shady crap, but this is the Lake Show, we need all the help we can get right now!!!
alexjlake_gr8t
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
It's like being robbed for your wallet right after putting your long lost teenage love's number in it cuz you ran into her and she asked you to call her that night; but then the robber drops the wallet and some schmuk picks it up.

robber - is a prick for robbing you

schmuk whom found the wallet - he has her number now, but wont do anything with it

you - either way, you're screwed because for the foreseeable future you will be searching again for that long lost love. Except now, you know they're closeby.

longlost love - will move on and be her awesome self, but whatever happens it'll never be as good as if you had hooked up.

Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:

What choice was there? Stern was both commissioner and acting owner of the hornets.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:

Personally, I believed it was the fact that Jerry didnt want to stain the organization by dragging out some messy back and forth with the league. I think Jerry understood that saving the Laker image, showing that his organization wouldnt drop to the level of small team owners.

Pride. Legacy, you know all the things that the Lakers represented.

The same thing that anti tank people claim to want to preserve.

Fast forward now and well....its stained.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:

It would take 4 slightly weighted ping pong balls. As for Buss, nothing that happened was against the CBA, so it is hard fighting something that isn't against the rules.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:

High road or is this the reason that Stern suddenly retired?
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
How many times this veto and Phil Jackson and Dwight Coward will be revisited?

These will be revisited forever. For they are important events in Lakers history influencing the team for maybe even a decade.

You are welcome not to like this, but you have no choice but to learn to live with it.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:

What choice was there? Stern was both commissioner and acting owner of the hornets.

I think the easiest choice would have been for him to defer to the ownership he had put in place - y'know, like he said he would when he put the acting owner in place.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

And for the record, I think the only honest response to the original question is that the deals are basically a wash.

It isn't like Eric Gordon was some transformative superstar that the Hornets would've really missed had they gone with the first deal.

Likewise, no one knew he was such damaged goods that the Hornets would essentially be tanking. I think its equally likely that Dragic and Martin would've formed a nice young backcourt but the rest of the team would've sucked and they still would've been in position to draft Davis - so I think the idea that Stern had some grand plan to tank and then grab Davis is too far-fetched.

If the Laker trade had gone through, they might still have been able to grab Davis and they'd have Dragic instead of Holiday - meaning they would've kept their 6th pick from last year, as well.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm thankful the Lakers aren't committing the max to this guy. So beloved, can't seem to do any wrong in the eyes of the public. What a joke.
thetruthteller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject:

I don't know why but, I am more and more thinking Chris Paul, although a Good player, is NOT a Super Star player. He seems to come up short when it matters most. Especially in playoff games. I mean his 2 late TO's, and missed FT attempts, just killed the Clippers today. I think Skip Bayless was right on his critical opinion on Paul. And I never agree with Skippy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: